This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58987 Posts

Whats your opinion on the metagame (i.e. pokemon) in World of Warcraft? Would you like to see more of this type of thing in MMO's?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23920 Posts

Poor man's pokemon. I would rather see Blizzard focus on the game than adding pointless gimmicks, if I want to play Plants vs Zombies I play Plants vs Zombies, if I want to play Pokemon, I play pokemon. Both of my 3DSes are within arm's reach from my PC set up anyway. I am glad Warlords of Draenor doesnt seem to obsessed with minigames, pointless additions/changes and gimmicks like Mists of Pandaria was.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Maroxad said:

Poor man's pokemon. I would rather see Blizzard focus on the game than adding pointless gimmicks, if I want to play Plants vs Zombies I play Plants vs Zombies, if I want to play Pokemon, I play pokemon. Both of my 3DSes are within arm's reach from my PC set up anyway. I am glad Warlords of Draenor doesnt seem to obsessed with minigames, pointless additions/changes and gimmicks like Mists of Pandaria was.

Not sure I get your argument here friend, MMO's in general, are a waste of time unless you count the gratification aspect. So far I must say I'm rather enjoying it as a downtime aspect along with archeology.

You build a garrison and have followers like Diablo 3 in WOD btw.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

"Metagames" ? as in Games within Games ?

Thats Minigames or Meta-Games.

Metagame already has a definition of its own.

And MMO's are Stupid. Go for MOBAs

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23920 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Thing about WoW is. The engine, vision and general design is primarily focused around real time, hotkey based combat and not being a turn based mon game.

The fortress thing from WOD seems to be the only gimmick from the next expansion, and that at least seems to get along with the rest of the game better than what Pet Battles did, and doesn't seem to take up as much effort to produce since they wont need to build and balance mechanics for an entirely new game. As for downtime, whatever happened to socializing with other players in mmos?

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#6  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

It isn't much fun. The problem is Blizz doesn't pay enough attention to the metagame between major patches so you wind up fighting the same team over and over and over and over for weeks at a time because there are only a few viable comps. So if you just want to do pet battles for fun you get frustrated real quick. There were literally weeks between 5.3 and 5.4 where 75% of the matches I got at lvl25 were Valk/Claw/Voodoo or some combo of Valk/Claw + Other Undead or Elemental. Blizz just doesn't jump on the overpowered comps fast enough so everyone just plays the 2 or 3 winning comps and there is no variety.

While leveling up, it is somewhat enjoyable, but once you hit 25 is gets real boring/frustrating real quick. Once I got my favorite pets to 25 I stopped playing Versus.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

LOL, Pot meet Black Hole (because I needed something blacker than a kettle). I used to think WoW Arena was the most retched hive of scum and villainy on the internet. After playing a few MOBAs I have since come to the conclusion that Arena doesn't hold a candle to even the most tame stuff I get playing MOBAs. Hell, XBL doesn't hold a candle to the behavior I regularly see in MOBA matches. So no, MOBAs are universally f***ing awful.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu

@ SerOlmy

Oh well. It was worth a try. But fundementally MOBAs have better gameplay.

But yeah they both suck.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Maroxad said:

@uninspiredcup: As for downtime, whatever happened to socializing with other players in mmos?

Not sure what you mean by this, PVP, pet battles, Dungeons, Raids and so on have all that. Downtime is completely optional and something of a personal preference.

Even within that context, for me with my archeology, I run into hoard quite a lot. Since the area shows up for them as well. It's interesting to see if the player will ignore or attempt to kill.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Lulu_Lulu said:

"Metagames" ? as in Games within Games ?

Thats Minigames or Meta-Games.

Metagame already has a definition of its own.

Huh. .

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu

@ uninspiredcup

A game with In a Game is a Minigame.

A game may also feature unrelated optional things to do. I call those Side Activities.

A Metagame is a sort of imaginary game played beyond the intended rules of the actual game. For example Rock Paper Scissors would be the actual game... The metagame would be memorizing patterns to predict which hand your opponent plays next. Anothet example is Card Games, playing poker normally is the actual game... Counting cards is the metagame, in a way you're trying to get the edge. So in essence Metagaming is just fancy Cheating. :D. Atleast thats my logic.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ uninspiredcup

A game with In a Game is a Minigame.

A game may also feature unrelated optional things to do. I call those Side Activities.

Nobody cares. Pokemon.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

@ uninspiredcup

people should care... Misinformation is deadly, thats how we wound up with Zen Games.

Also when something is just there its just a feature.

Anyway. I think Black and White had Pet Battles too. never played it online though....