PC games that got high praise that you just didn't like

• 144 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Kings Bounty: Armored Princess. Not only is there a fatal flaw in her armor design (waistline and chest exposed) I just didn't like the game. The Overworld was kinda cool on the demo. Her horse could fly, that was about the only thing I liked. The battle system I didn't like at all. You kind of had characters and monsters you didn't care about fighting for you. I just didn't like the game.

World of Warcraft. I just don't like it. War Craft should have stayed RTS it just doesn't seem right to me as an MMO. It has to be because I played War Craft 1 and 2 on a 486 and have fond memories of that.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

half life 1 wasn't that special

mad incoming

__

skyrim is terrible

there is no jumping, just floating

combat is terrible compared to a game like chivalry MW

the main quest is so poorly done, I beat the game in 8 hours .

Big budget games should have extremely polished well made main quests, and skyrim's was a total joke.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Half Life series, great games that I just didn't like. Oblivion, terrible game that I don't like, there is nothing good about it except the graphics even if the art style is bland, yet it gets praised for everything and easily gets 10s thrown at it.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

World of Warcraft. I just don't like it. War Craft should have stayed RTS it just doesn't seem right to me as an MMO. It has to be because I played War Craft 1 and 2 on a 486 and have fond memories of that.

TheHighWind

Not to mention it killed the Warcraft lore and led to the retrogression of MMORPGs.

half life 1 wasn't that special JigglyWiggly_

Not to sound condescending, but you're too young to know any better. If you played it in 1998, you would think otherwise.

Half Life series, great games that I just didn't like. DanielDust

If you didn't like it then it isn't great to you:P.

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

[QUOTE="TheHighWind"]

Socijalisticka

Not to mention it killed the Warcraft lore and led to the retrogression of MMORPGs.

half life 1 wasn't that special JigglyWiggly_

Not to sound condescending, but you're too young to know any better. If you played it in 1998, you would think otherwise.

true statement but my younger brother played it last year and loved it. it depends on the persons appreciation of the game, i laughed so hard when he got stuck at a section where he had to crouch jump and couldnt figure it out (he does all his gaming on consoles).
Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

also back on topic i really cant stand the elder scroll games, i try so hard to get into them, i love the setting the open world but the gameplay is so boring and thats coming from someone who is a diehard ragnarok online player. it just kills me.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

The Witcher 2. I played it for an hour and it didn't do anything for me. I might try it again at some point.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Starcraft. Three faction RTS games are no fun to me usually, because they always have one highly technical and highly annoying to fight faction.
Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Moloch121
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

Bioshock, maybe I just like System Shock too much but I find Bioshock to be very boring.

Fallout 3. I hate this game Bethesda has no idea what makes Fallout work and I don't enjoy the gameplay either. I like New Vegas but that has to do with Obsidian's masterful writing and Tim Cain.

Dragon Age: Origins is a very generic game. Bad writing with a generic plot not to mention terrible combat. Spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate my ass.

The Witcher 2. I played it for an hour and it didn't do anything for me. I might try it again at some point.

HyperWarlock

Only an hour? Hell half of that is probably just dialogue! Which imo is a good thing. What didn't you like about the game? Witcher 2 is one of my favorite rpgs this generation.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Starcraft, warcraft, bioshock, dark souls

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

HyperWarlock

only an hour? what didn't you like about it?

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts
Well, there's Half-Life 2, Arkham City, Max Payne 3, Planetside 2, League of Legends and Dota 2, Sleeping Dogs, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2 and I guess also Red Orchestra 2. No fun allowed.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Bioshock. I think I see what people like about it, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

World of Warcraft - I only played the early months after release, but I didn't think it was that great. It was polished, but lacked immersion, and the combat system was too simple for me. Granted, the combat system is the main problem with most MMORPGs, but the polish just didn't save the game for me.

League of Legends - It was alright for a while, but the lack of maps makes it boring to me. I have no idea why so many people love this game.

MushroomMTL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MushroomMTL
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

I tried really hard to get into The Witcher 1, but just could not get myself to finish it. I just cannot find any interest in the gameplay, the story or the characters. Maybe if I start with The Witcher 2 it might get me into the series and get me to like the first one, but I just cannot find any interest in it...for now.

Also, I just cannot find myself to like World of Warcraft. Even with friends and playing in the dungeons, I just do not find it appealling.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I could never get into the total war games. The games are just too slow and simple. It's a lot more fun to watch what is happening on the ground then to actually play the game.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
CIv, Oblivion, Risen, GW, NwN
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#18 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

I didn't see anything special about World in Conflict. It's pretty but not my sort of strategy game.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

The total war games. I suck at them therefore I don't like them :P or any strategy game for that matter

Also I can't get into STALKER no matter how many times I try. Every time I start it I get a few hours in and move onto something else. But I likely don't play it long enough, as none of the good stuff happens in it yet. I just hate the constant endless walking around in it, it's fine to have an open world but I think the game could have been a bit smaller to drive it's narrative and immersion a bit more. I didn't like walking around so much.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
the witcher - didnt like the way combat felt. will try again soon, though. fallout games - awful gunplay and combat. i normally avoid using special abilities in games-didnt consistently use the time slowdowns in max payne and fear unless i started having trouble-but i used VATs so much just to stay away from the combat. arma 2 - feels so awkward to play, but otherwise i would've enjoyed it.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
Battlefield 3
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

. arma 2 - feels so awkward to play, but otherwise i would've enjoyed it.yellosnolvr

Yeah Arma II is frightfully clunky. It's one thing I really hope they fix for Arma III. It was very unintuitive and I never felt connected to the character. That and the terribly stiff voice acting just didn't sell it.

But I still have lots of fun playing it

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

The Mass Effect series.

I'll never understand the appeal of linear pop-a-mole shooters with bad storytelling.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

Bioshock

Operation Flashpoint (2001)

Neverwinter Nights 1

Port Royale

Plants vs Zombies

World of Goo

Minecraft

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

1. Oblivion

2. Oblivion

3. Oblivion

I liked Morrowind. I liked Skyrim. Go figure. :P

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#26 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1179 Posts

Rise of Nations-- I think that game is pretty terrible. As far as I know, you can only have armies created by certain territories. The game just ended on me after like 12 turns on the main map, I was like wtf. Who knows maybe I didn't play it properly, but even if the game didn't end I would think it is pretty bad. Maybe I played the game 10 years too late. The game has high player reviews of 9.0s; I would give it a 1.5.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

Rise of Nations-- I think that game is pretty terrible. As far as I know, you can only have armies created by certain territories. The game just ended on me after like 12 turns on the main map, I was like wtf. Who knows maybe I didn't play it properly, but even if the game didn't end I would think it is pretty bad. Maybe I played the game 10 years too late. The game has high player reviews of 9.0s; I would give it a 1.5.

strategyfn

I loved that game, the multiplayer was amazing. I dont remember the turns in the game, but I didnt really play the single player. The actual RTS part of the game was awesome.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
To be honest I don't buy games unless I know I will like them. There are a few small exceptions but they have turned out great (The Witcher, Mass Effect). I don't have enough money to go around buying every game people hype up. :P
tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

call of duty series.

FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FaustArp
Member since 2013 • 1036 Posts
Starcraft II. Didn't play the first one, won't play the third one.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
To be honest I don't buy games unless I know I will like them.Toxic-Seahorse
I try to also, but sometimes you don't know if you're doing to like it or not until you play it (assuming it has no demo).
ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts
Starcraft II. Even though the campaign was the best in any RTS IMO, I find playing online frustrating. I actually enjoy watching the pros plays vs playing the game myself.
Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

Assassins creed

Grim Fandango

Legend of Grimrock

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Starcraft: It wasn't bad, but it wasn't the second coming of Jesus that everyone makes it out to be.
Medal of Honor, Allied Assault: There have been far better WWII games out there. Again, not bad, but nothing great.

Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

Half Life series, great games that I just didn't like. Oblivion, terrible game that I don't like, there is nothing good about it except the graphics even if the art style is bland, yet it gets praised for everything and easily gets 10s thrown at it.DanielDust

Don't agree with the Half-Life part, but Oblivion is indeed terrible.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22388 Posts
Ones that come to mind for me are Far Cry 3, Skyrim & Hitman Absolution. Just didn't get into any of them.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#37 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Dark Souls, Starcraft 2, Battlefield 3, Bioshock (to an extent), any and all variants of Counter-strike (I recognize the appeal, just don't enjoy the games personally - same holds true for Starcraft 2), Civilization games and Minecraft.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

The entire Battlefield series. Far Cry 2. Minecraft.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zebracal
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts

For me was Dawn of war II, I liked the Dawn of war series, but somehow this didn't the fun due to the fact that its a different kind of "rts"

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

1. the witcher 2 no contest

2. armaII (operation flashpoint was the best of its time though)

3. guild war 2

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Bioshock... i don't know why, but it just wasn't for me. I did play it ages ago on the Xbox 360 so maybe that was my problem :P.

I do have Bioshock 2 on my PC and before i try that i think i'll buy the first one again and give it another chance. Maybe it was just a phase i went through..

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Elann2008

Bioshock... i don't know why, but it just wasn't for me. I did play it ages ago on the Xbox 360 so maybe that was my problem :P.

I do have Bioshock 2 on my PC and before i try that i think i'll buy the first one again and give it another chance. Maybe it was just a phase i went through..

BattleSpectre

I thoroughly enjoyed Bioshock 1 for its story and atmosphere. Hands down. When it came to gameplay and combat, I wasn't digging it. I prefer Bioshock 2 when it comes to gameplay.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

Elann2008

I thoroughly enjoyed Bioshock 1 for its story and atmosphere. Hands down. When it came to gameplay and combat, I wasn't digging it. I prefer Bioshock 2 when it comes to gameplay.

Yes, i think that was my problem Elann, i was playing the game for the combat and ignored the story completely i guess. As for the second one i've heard that one lacks in story but delivers in gameplay. It's a funny cycle isn't it :P

Either way i'm sure Infinite will blow minds once it releases.

dreamerdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 dreamerdonkey
Member since 2012 • 82 Posts

[QUOTE="TheHighWind"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]half life 1 wasn't that special Socijalisticka

Half Life series, great games that I just didn't like. DanielDust

Read the thread dude. It says "PC games that got high praise that you just didn't like". So if you going to argue with people opinion than you have to quote each and every post under this thread. :D
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

BattleSpectre

Yes, i think that was my problem Elann, i was playing the game for the combat and ignored the story completely i guess. As for the second one i've heard that one lacks in story but delivers in gameplay. It's a funny cycle isn't it :P

Either way i'm sure Infinite will blow minds once it releases.

Ahhhhh yeah! Can't wait for Infinite. My most anticipated game of 2013. Yes, even over my Dead Space 3. :P xD
FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FaustArp
Member since 2013 • 1036 Posts
Ahhhhh yeah! Can't wait for Infinite. My most anticipated game of 2013. Yes, even over my Dead Space 3. :P xD Elann2008
Same here! Bioshock Infinite can't get here soon enough!
slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts

Mass Effect story was ok, but the gameplay was just boring to me.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Oblivion. Really disliked the game except for the modding. I like Skyrim though, even though the combat is really floaty. Its like Bethesda has no idea how to do Melee combat.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Half-Life anything, Skyrim and Oblivion, Guild Wars 2, Mass Effect anything.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Half Life series, great games that I just didn't like. Socijalisticka

I said that regarding the quality of its execution, compared to Oblivion that is a disaster like any of Beth's games (Skyrim managed to improve things, the first one for Beth and Fallout 3 had something to prove, but it too had terrible execution).

And Ithanks to those that mentioned it before, I forgot all about this terrible game, Battlefield 3, worse than MW 3 which I consider to be the worst FPS I played with MW 2 a close 2nd, BF 3 is what bad games strive for, the godly worst FPS award, it's so far out there it can't even be included in a top since everything else would look so "good".