PC games that got high praise that you just didn't like

• 144 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
TF2 is probably the most over-rated game I've encountered. Other than that, any post-apocalyptic game.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#52 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Team Fortress 2.

Vanilla Elder Scrolls are awful, but i love modding them to perfection.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#53 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
The Witcher 2, Mass Effect 3, Dishonored.
Priapus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Priapus101
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

Mass Effect - I have tried to get into this game (~15 hours playtime) but I can not bring myself to enjoy it.

GTA IV - Very underwhelming and much less enjoyable than San Andreas.

C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 C_Glass
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

The Witcher, when I first played it I thought it was the most juvenile game ever conceived. Seriously I would of thought it was cool was I was 13. Pale, Anorexic Protagonist with cat eyes and a giant sword in addition to a skimpy busty girlfriend? The devs must either be teenagers or know their demograph pretty damn well, oh and apparently the game has sex, that'll sure the kiddies entering puberty to riot.

In addition the combat was the most horribly boring system ever conceived.

God was that game so juvenile. It hurts my brain. The fact that it's supposed to be the epitome of a PC RPG makes me sad.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#56 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts

half life 1 wasn't that special

mad incoming

__

skyrim is terrible

there is no jumping, just floating

combat is terrible compared to a game like chivalry MW

the main quest is so poorly done, I beat the game in 8 hours .

Big budget games should have extremely polished well made main quests, and skyrim's was a total joke.

JigglyWiggly_
Skyrim has in a fashion multiple main quests. Sounds like you missed the point of the game.
robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

Starcraft 2. Never got into it. Played the first few levels when it came out, now its gathering dust on my shelf.

edit: forgot to mention Mass Effect 3. A huge letdown.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#58 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5467 Posts
Mass a effect / Mass boredom with elevators and awful stunted boring environments. Tried it so many times just fell flat even the combat Pause / Give Commands system did not save the game for me. ARMA 2 Impressive but god awful controls. Portal YAWN Titan Quest boring and simple Torchlight again boring and simple Diablo 3 did a little better but i am starting to cotton on i dislike the genre! Two Worlds Two. I like the game but as time went on it got easier and easier! Considering the start was so punishing! Then it just died a death of repetitive rubbish. Just noticed i have divinity 2 i cant remember which one was the really pants one out of this and Two Worlds. Drakensang! For me i thought this would be a huge hit! Its a little rubbish and over ally complicated the combat system is so different to D&D i do not have the willingness to learn! Probably more my fault than the games. Painkiller! I thought Doom what i got was a poor mans Hexen!
Scryll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 Scryll
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Diablo 3, Call of Duty 4 - Modernwarfare... basicly every CoD after CoD2. Skyrim, Oblivion etc.. Basicly games that are single player = instant boring for me. People saying Half Life 1 or 2 probably were still in kindergarden when those were released, because holy god those were like 5 years infront of every other game in terms of physics and graphics.

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

Starcraft 1 and 2. I could never get into the series. I played from both games atleast the first 5 missions, and I didn't like them at all. Their art style was quite awfull in my taste, and so was the story.

This game does not deserve all the praise it gets imo.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

mad incoming

__

skyrim is terrible

there is no jumping, just floating

combat is terrible compared to a game like chivalry MW

the main quest is so poorly done, I beat the game in 8 hours .

Big budget games should have extremely polished well made main quests, and skyrim's was a total joke.

jwsoul

Skyrim has in a fashion multiple main quests. Sounds like you missed the point of the game.

how about 1 good one?

nope

just gave me 20 poorly made ones

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

I could never get into the total war games. The games are just too slow and simple. It's a lot more fun to watch what is happening on the ground then to actually play the game.

JangoWuzHere
+1 and any GTA game.
tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

Mass Effect 1.

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 ProjectPat187
Member since 2005 • 2178 Posts
every single Call of Duty game that was made after Modern Warfare 1 the series is so stale as hell now and looks like the same ol rehash year after year
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#65 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

Dawn of War 2: I find the single player boring and repetitive.

Company of Heroes: What people find interesting in these games it eludes me.

Fallout 3: I find it quite bland.

Metro 2033: Awful gameplay imo.

Guild Wars 2: After a while it gets boring. Not going to deny though, that they graphics and the artstyle is beautiful.

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

Metro 2033: Awful gameplay imo.

Miroku32

This. I was getting blind playing that game man. So dark and the mask becomes opaque when you breathe. It was so frustrating for me but i know alot of people loved it

Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Will47
Member since 2007 • 6824 Posts
Fallout 3 is one of the first that comes to mind. Everyone I say I don't like it I get told that I wasn't playing it right.
gogoplexiorayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#68 gogoplexiorayo
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

I have bought way to many games for the past three years, which have ended with me having a few games i dont like.

Dragon age origins (too difficult)

Risen (too difficult)

Borderlands 2 (boring)

I will go back to my old system that i had back in 2003 - 2008 where i only bought one or two games that i want really bad. That way i wont end up with a pile of games that are too hardcore or boring.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

The Longest Journey

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Fallout 3 is one of the first that comes to mind. Everyone I say I don't like it I get told that I wasn't playing it right. Will47
I didn't really like Fallout 3 either. New Vegas on the other hand was awesome.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

JigglyWiggly_

Did you play it before 2000?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

AFBrat77

no
but irrelevant
i judge all my games based on how good they are today
unsurprisingly i rate almost all the early 3d games as bad, unless they have very good art style (e.g not grungy textures but pure colors) and simple game mechanics that are fun regardless of age.

e.g I liked quake 1 a lot more than half life 1 because it's really simple. (Inb4 I only like quake)

i played q1 a lot later than playing half life too

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="AFBrat77"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

JigglyWiggly_

no
but irrelevant
i judge all my games based on how good they are today
unsurprisingly i rate almost all the early 3d games as bad, unless they have very good art style (e.g not grungy textures but pure colors) and simple game mechanics that are fun regardless of age.

e.g I liked quake 1 a lot more than half life 1 because it's really simple. (Inb4 I only like quake)

i played q1 a lot later than playing half life too

Hmm...If I thought the Quake games were better than Half-Life 1 than my view on games would be horribly skewed as well. :P But I actually played these games when they were released so I can't really understand these types of gamer's perspectives.
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#74 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

every single Call of Duty game that was made after Modern Warfare 1 the series is so stale as hell now and looks like the same ol rehash year after yearProjectPat187

This man speaks the truth
Also, Medal of Honor Allied Assault and the Hitman series.

jrorl63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 jrorl63
Member since 2003 • 723 Posts

The Witcher 2. I played it for an hour and it didn't do anything for me. I might try it again at some point.

HyperWarlock
Same, hated what i played
LookAnDrolL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#76 LookAnDrolL
Member since 2008 • 2483 Posts
Max Payne 3 It was a real PAIN to finish it
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#77 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Borderlands 1 and 2...

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts
Crysis 1
MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
I really don't like the first Half-Life (I even bought it on Steam to give it a proper go but just can't enjoy it) yet I love Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 & 2.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
unsurprisingly i rate almost all the early 3d games as bad, unless they have very good art style (e.g not grungy textures but pure colors) and simple game mechanics that are fun regardless of age.JigglyWiggly_
Early 3D games are almost universally terrible. I skipped most of them even back then because I thought they looked like poo. Interstate 76 is probably the earliest 3D game that I still think looks good. I'll play others occasionally, but don't like the graphics at all.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 JigglyWiggly_

Nights into dreams ofc

dat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa5mZheIwNo&t=2m

i played this about 2 years ago for my first time, this game has aged perfectly and looks great too.

Alex_Baratheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Alex_Baratheon
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts

Off the top of my head - Borderlands. The gameplay felt so repetetive, no real sense of progression, the world seemed so empty...it was better when I played with friends though, but still not as good as I was hoping.

The second one blew me away though. It was terrific. One of the best games of 2012.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Minecraft, just does not appeal to me in the slightest.
id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 id_mew
Member since 2007 • 608 Posts

Dishonored. I found the game really boring, and the characters have no life in them.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#86 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

[QUOTE="ProjectPat187"]every single Call of Duty game that was made after Modern Warfare 1 the series is so stale as hell now and looks like the same ol rehash year after yearNoAssKicker47

Can I ask what you (or anyone else) didn't like about MOHAA? I played it a good 5+ years after it came out--it's hard to believe we had stuff like Crysis already--and I remember losing many afternoons and evenings to the multiplayer. The single player was kind of a fun but frustrating romp, though multiplayer held up incredibly well. I still get nostalgic watching MP vids on youtube :P

Company of Heroes: What people find interesting in these games it eludes me.

Miroku32

I'm extremely curious about thoughts on this one too. I adore it personally... I have a number of friends who love it, and an equal number of those who hate it but play just to humour the rest of us.

Ant0n89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Ant0n89
Member since 2009 • 665 Posts
Witcher 1 & 2 Dead Space Metro 2033 Stalker Far Cry 1 & 2 Dark Souls Alan Wake Amnesia CoD4 and everything after it FEAR Gears of War
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23806 Posts

Mass Effect 1+2: Cover Based Shooting, Health Regeneration, Paraphrased Dialogue, Copy paste level design, Shooter "RPG" combat, overly linear level design and hamfisted writing.

Borderlands 2: I should have listened. It was a trap. All I got was an overly unbalanced and not very fun shooter with fetch quests, repetitive enemy design, number inflation, lack of challenge (in normal mode at least), a low drop rate which causes enemies to become bullet sponges in NG+ and annoying characters. It was a bad shooter and an even worse Diablo-like. It was just a waste of time.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Guild Wars 2, Rage (not sure if this one is considered high praise), and TF2

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

Dark Souls

dreamerdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 dreamerdonkey
Member since 2012 • 82 Posts

Okay, for me the list will be a little bit long, and here it is :

1. Hitman absolution- Totally ruined the whole seires. Turn a stealth genre into a shoot them up series.

2. GTA IV- Each and every missions are same. No variety. Just go and shoot them up type. Its something like that it learn nothing from its ancestor. And I played it on a PC and I can say one thing Rockstar forget how to optimize game for the PC.

3. Diablo III- I don't know why I can't able to like this game. Play for almost a week. But after a week I trade it off for Torchlight II.

4. Hotline Miami- I still don't get it. Why this game is so much praised. Its soundtrack is quite good and some peoples are also appreciate it for its retro look. But that look don't work for me. I have some eyesight problem and my eye almost start bleeding after playing it for a while. And it was pretty difficult for me too.

5. Need for speed most wanted (new)- At first I don't know why EA put same name for two games. And I get it after playing the new game for a while. EA use a cheap trick to sell a game using the shadow of one of there mostly praised game.

6. Mass Effect 3- Don't have any clue yet wht the rating is so high. For me its just like another shooting game and most of the mission is linier and people call it RPG, WTH.

7. Dawn of War- I am a fan of old Dawn of War series. I like the old micro management system. But the new approch the developer try to impose from Dawn of Two II totally ruined the game series for me. The new gameplay technique is not actually work for me :(

happyfella89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 happyfella89
Member since 2013 • 35 Posts

Diablo 3 and Planetside 2.

Diablo 2 is one of the greatest games and was looking forward to d3 but really let me down.

As for Planetside 2, this is a whole different story. I knew when SOE first spoke of making it that I would be let down. Planetside is by far my favorite game and have devoted almost a decade playing since 2003 so I knew my expectations would be high, and they let me down big time. I understand times have changed but if I wanted to play any generic shooter then I would have look elsewhere.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Mass Effect 3- Don't have any clue yet wht the rating is so high. For me its just like another shooting game and most of the mission is linier and people call it RPG, WTH.dreamerdonkey
Did you play the first two games? I'm assuming you didn't or you would have known the series wasn't for you. Also, why would you start at the end of a story based game trilogy? Mass Effect's gameplay isn't that great, that's a given, but it makes up for it with the story, characters, and universe. If you didn't play the first 2 games you miss all of that. You can't really judge a game like ME3 alone without considering the other 2. ME3's greatness is more reliant on stuff that happened in the previous games than any other game I've ever played.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1838 Posts

Crysis 1alexside1

Along with the borderlands series.

Crysis felt like just another shooter with a suit for cool factor along with its pretty graphics. Gamplay wise, it was pretty much the same as every other shooter. Got all the high praise but for me it was pretty boring. You've played one FPS you've played them all. Ditto for Borderlands. Clap-trap is NOT funny. He's annoying as F**K. If it was a fallout game--I would have shot him dead the moment he opened his trap.

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#95 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

[QUOTE="ProjectPat187"]

NoAssKicker47

Can I ask what you (or anyone else) didn't like about MOHAA? I played it a good 5+ years after it came out--it's hard to believe we had stuff like Crysis already--and I remember losing many afternoons and evenings to the multiplayer. The single player was kind of a fun but frustrating romp, though multiplayer held up incredibly well. I still get nostalgic watching MP vids on youtube :P

Didn't play MP, but SP was extremely lukewarm. The Omaha Beach mission was nice, but everything around it was just.... meh.

Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

Deus Ex Human Revolution: dull story, dull levels, silly boss fights, and an incredibly boring final level (whack da zombies!).

This game was hyped to the rafters, but didn't deliver.

andmcq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 andmcq
Member since 2012 • 259 Posts

The Witcher 2

Grand Theft Auto series (except #1)

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

i never like any of the elder scrolls games... but all my mates seem to love it.

The fallout games... i just couldnt finish them maybe they're just not for me

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
The elder scroll, all of them Mass effects The witcher 2 World of Warcraft Crysis 2 fallout 3 Dragon Age Neverwinter nights
lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 lockjaw333
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts

Dragon Age: Origins- Was excited to get this after all of the acclaim it was getting, and was thoroughly disappointed. It felt like a game that belonged on the PS2. Menus and systems were awkward, combat was lame, and the graphics were really awful considering the era.

STALKER- Like Sean, I really have tried to get into the STALKER games. I just can't do it. I don't know why either, because first person open world RPGs are one of my favorite game types.

Far Cry 2- Funny one because some sites gave it awful reviews, but it received a ton of glowing reviews from lots of places. Probably the single most annoying and frustrating gaming experience I've ever had. FC2 was a joke.

For those of you saying Half Life, you must either be young or didnt play it until recently. When HL1 was released it was INCREDIBLE for its time.