PC Gamer vs Games For Windows(Computer Gaming World)

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mlazaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Mlazaro
Member since 2007 • 372 Posts
Im always curious to know what PC gamers choose for theyr gaming mag.Ive had both for 4 years,and love reading both..But unfortunatly,theyr can only be one winner.,If i had to choose,..i guess id go with,..arggg...PC Gamer.Tho i think the writers of GFW are much more funny,and articles are funnier,it boils down to info and gaming.IMO Pc gamer mags are always much more to read.Theres a ton of more pages and info..Has anyone else noticed how thin the GFW mags have been running the last year?
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
I haven't subscribed to a mag in years. Instead I'm getting a free one called "Gamereactor" which is a Scandinavian mag. No demo disc or anything, but who really needs that these days...
blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts
pc gamer is better :)
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
Why subscribe to mags when there is the internet.
Mlazaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mlazaro
So your saying no one should read magazines anymore?If i could take my PC to the bathroom with me,maybe i wouldnt need to read a mag.
Teuvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Teuvan
Member since 2003 • 10151 Posts
I used to subscribe to PC Gamer, but it's so goddamn full of ads and old information now it's pointless.
Avatar image for Manly-manly-man
Manly-manly-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Manly-manly-man
Member since 2006 • 3477 Posts
Games for Windows seems to have more new games in it. This issue has a big Gears of War article, COD 4 MP interview, Fallout 3, and then some other articles. It never seemed like PC Gamer had NEW games in it.
gcf0413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gcf0413
Member since 2005 • 518 Posts

I used to subscribe to PC Gamer, but it's so goddamn full of ads and old information now it's pointless.Teuvan

I would have to agree with this actually. They claim on the cover they have exclusives but I've always seen the same info here on Gamespot or elsewhere before PC Gamer shows it to me. It's quite sad really, they need to become an online only media outlet. There aren't really enough quality sitesthat focus solely on PC Games.

Anyway, if I had to pick between the 2 magazines I would still go with PC Gamer. GFW is like a leaflet.

TheDukeEmperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheDukeEmperor
Member since 2007 • 202 Posts
I used PC Gamer and then realized I could get the same information, that I was interested in, if not more from GameSpot and other sites on the Internet.
firefly026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 firefly026
Member since 2005 • 3270 Posts
I currently prefer Games for Windows, just because they seem to have more content, but I don't have any subscriptions.
FragMonkey09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FragMonkey09
Member since 2005 • 1543 Posts
I dont trust MS because they want to own PC gaming, so its PC Gamer for me.
Avatar image for Manly-manly-man
Manly-manly-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Manly-manly-man
Member since 2006 • 3477 Posts
MS DOES own PC gaming. Windows. And Games for Windows is just a brand name, which hold PC games to a higher standard and makes all GFW games support more features. If you don't pay you don't lose anything you already have.
underdark944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 underdark944
Member since 2003 • 1368 Posts
I'm a subscriber for PC Gamer because of the frequent exclusives unveilings and the fact that it's some bedtime reading. Even though I get a load of info on the net, I still enjoy reading it.
Valkyrie_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#15 Valkyrie_44
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts
I subscribe to both GFW and PCG. Trust not in one magazine alone.
thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts

I subscribe to both GFW and PCG. Trust not in one magazine alone.Valkyrie_44

I agree, I've also got subscriptions to both.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
I get G4W for free so that's my bathroom reading. I've read a few PC gamer's but it never really interested me. I really like reading Jeff Green's articles, and their sound off (which is also available as a podcast). Also I probably wouldn't of even bothered checking up on COD4 had it not been for reading their interview of it.
Ken1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ken1a
Member since 2006 • 359 Posts
I subscribe to both as well- although GFW has some really funny articles at times.
xMedHeadx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xMedHeadx
Member since 2004 • 109 Posts
I dont trust MS because they want to own PC gaming, so its PC Gamer for me.FragMonkey09
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_for_Windows:_The_Official_Magazine Read, and learn. GFW Magazine is staffed with writers who are much more similar to me in taste and humor than those from PC Gamer. PC Gamer used to be a magazine I trusted, but its content, in comparison to Games for Windows, is rather stale and boring. PC Gamer does seem to often carry more reviews, but they're generally of games I never care to play (and they admit are bad). Games for Windows Magazine offers better editorials and in-depth articles, along with reviews of the games most people would consider purchasing. Anyone can peer into the mindset of either staff by listening to their podcasts, which are freely available from iTunes, and likely their sites as well. The PC Gamer Podcast is a bit hard to listen through, while GFW Radio is quite entertaining, even if they lack focus on discussing PC gaming.
1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 1carus
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

[QUOTE="FragMonkey09"]I dont trust MS because they want to own PC gaming, so its PC Gamer for me.xMedHeadx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_for_Windows:_The_Official_Magazine Read, and learn. GFW Magazine is staffed with writers who are much more similar to me in taste and humor than those from PC Gamer. PC Gamer used to be a magazine I trusted, but its content, in comparison to Games for Windows, is rather stale and boring. PC Gamer does seem to often carry more reviews, but they're generally of games I never care to play (and they admit are bad). Games for Windows Magazine offers better editorials and in-depth articles, along with reviews of the games most people would consider purchasing. Anyone can peer into the mindset of either staff by listening to their podcasts, which are freely available from iTunes, and likely their sites as well. The PC Gamer Podcast is a bit hard to listen through, while GFW Radio is quite entertaining, even if they lack focus on discussing PC gaming.

True, but nonetheless, they are still governed by Microsoft, and you never know if there are some biased reviews backstage to influence more gamers to PC. PC Gamer has no ties to Microsoft, and simply based on that, they are more trustworthy. PC Gamer FTW.

DeltoidRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DeltoidRecon
Member since 2006 • 1163 Posts

So your saying no one should read magazines anymore?If i could take my PC to the bathroom with me,maybe i wouldnt need to read a mag.Mlazaro

Laptop my friend laptops will be the new magazines believe me ;) . Heres a Dell for like 500 bucks hehe: http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_1501?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs (I don't recommend Dells tho since... well you know..). I take my brothers laptop when he isn't home to the bathroom when I need to watch the On The Spot live video and I did it during E3 07 when Sony was doing their conference. Shhh don't tell my bro tho ;)

nightharvest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nightharvest
Member since 2005 • 1782 Posts

I don't care for all the exclusives and latest scoops and I'm not interested in a game until it's released.

And if I really want to read about it I come to this site and if I want alternative views (which I usually do) I go to metacritic.

For the price of PC gamer or Games for Windows (on import) I can usually pick up a tidy game on special at the local store or through Ebay.

8)

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
PCgamer UK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GFW > PCGamer US
FragMonkey09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FragMonkey09
Member since 2005 • 1543 Posts

True, but nonetheless, they are still governed by Microsoft, and you never know if there are some biased reviews backstage to influence more gamers to PC. PC Gamer has no ties to Microsoft, and simply based on that, they are more trustworthy. PC Gamer FTW.1carus

Thats what I was afraid of.

gamerwiz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamerwiz09
Member since 2006 • 820 Posts
I'm currently not subscribed to either...used to get PC Gamer, and pick it up now and then...I do get EGM and Gamepro though. But when my schools magazine drive comes around in october, I'll sign up to get both cheap...and maybe Game Informer too...I dont know why, I just love magazines.
Avatar image for imthelumberjack
imthelumberjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 imthelumberjack
Member since 2005 • 1280 Posts
I like Games For Windows for its developer interviews and some of their previews but I prefer PC Gamer because I trust their reviews more since they seem to play "less" favorites then GFW and they review games quicker (such as Supreme Commander, C&C 3 and Bioshock). I also used to Prefer their hardware section when the Vede was running it (Logan Decker is terrible at reccomending hardware, especially for medium gaming PC's where he choses obiviously bad price/peformance choices and often incompatible components.) Sorry my rant about decker is done... anyways they both have their strengths.
the_mad_madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 the_mad_madman
Member since 2004 • 316 Posts

I tend to agree more often with the opinions and reviews of PC Gamer, so that's the one I get. Also I enjoy reading the editorial articles and such, whereas most other gaming mags, GFW included, tend to seem more like fluff to me.

Either way you're free to pick one or another, or even both, they're both good magazines. Just pick whichever suits you more.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#28 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

I pay for PC gamer and I recently got a free one year subscripition to games for windows. Once I get my free magazines, Ill let everyone know what I think is better.

moffe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 moffe12
Member since 2005 • 626 Posts
I buy PC Gamer UK every month, I tend to like their reviews, it's always very useful with a second opinion, as gamespot often miss reviews games.
xxPanicxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xxPanicxx
Member since 2006 • 349 Posts
I subscribed to an Aussie PC gamers mag called "PC GAMER". Sadly they stopped publishing them last year and I have yet to find another suitable magazine.
1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 1carus
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

I subscribed to an Aussie PC gamers mag called "PC GAMER". Sadly they stopped publishing them last year and I have yet to find another suitable magazine.xxPanicxx

There was never an Aussie PC Gamer. There is a US PC Gamer, a UK PC Gamer, there used to be an Australian mag called "PC Games Addict" which was basically a reprint of PC Gamer UK for Aussies, and then there's PC Powerplay, which is still being made.

akeanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 akeanon
Member since 2006 • 93 Posts

I used PC Gamer and then realized I could get the same information, that I was interested in, if not more from GameSpot and other sites on the Internet.TheDukeEmperor

Exactly. I cancelled my subscription to PC Gamer because of excessive advertising, articles written about inside jokes and personalities, and a feeling of fatigue reading their lists, which are off base to my gaming tastes.

So, now I use the Internet and I'm much, much happier.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

I stopped buying game mags years ago because they just weren't really current any more.

Who really needs a printed mag that takes a few months to prepare with news that will be outdated by the time it hits the stands? I can get all the information I need about a game online.

With game mags the reviews also tend to be of not quite finalised games to meet deadlines, demo disks are no longer needed because you can download demos from the net on the day of release, and I used to end up with stacks of the damned things sitting in a cupboard until I chucked them out for recycling.

I just view them as a waste of paper. I don't buy newspapers for the same reason - most of the news is already online or on the TV with 24 hour news channels that give you constant updates if you want them.

BaldursGate18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BaldursGate18
Member since 2006 • 73 Posts

Why subscribe to mags when there is the internet.Deihmos

LOL,that's what the internets for.:)

pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts
PC PowerPlay for me.
moffe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 moffe12
Member since 2005 • 626 Posts

I subscribed to an Aussie PC gamers mag called "PC GAMER". Sadly they stopped publishing them last year and I have yet to find another suitable magazine.xxPanicxx

I know that one :/ I used to subscrobe to a mag called PCGaming World... Wich I allways loved, but some swiss "&#"&% Bought the company and stopped publishing it apparently.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

What would I read on the toilet if I didn't have my trusty game magezines?!?!?!

Anyways, I subscribe to both, and they are both pretty good in their own right. Though I would say I prefer PC Gamer. The normally have more interviews and in depth previews, which is good reading.

zipozal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zipozal
Member since 2007 • 1809 Posts

Games for Windows is a joke, no game magazine that rates on a 5 star scale can be taken seriously.

PC Gamer is the far better magazine imo.

GFW gave tribes two 2 stars (40%) for crying out loud they are a joke!

And they write some of the worst reviews I've ever seen! There reviews are for the most part like half a page long! On big name games!

Honestly your better off asking your dog for info on PC games then them.

Avatar image for -LegendaryLuck-
-LegendaryLuck-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -LegendaryLuck-
Member since 2007 • 333 Posts
Because sometimes magazines have exclusive information.
Avatar image for -LegendaryLuck-
-LegendaryLuck-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -LegendaryLuck-
Member since 2007 • 333 Posts
I don't subscribe to PC Gaming Magazine because I don't own a PC (for gaming....) just yet, but I do subscribe to Nintendo Power, Official XBox Magazine, Playstation Magazine, and Electronic Gamers Monthly (EGM) because those four usually have good information.
Axed54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Axed54
Member since 2006 • 2963 Posts
I like PC Gamer.
D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts

I've read PC Gamer for...I don't remember...close to 15 years now if not 15 years...

It's a great mag and you can always trust the reviews. I've read other magazines over the years thinking they might replace PCG but nobody can.

The magazine is especially great with the Vede in charge now. It's got more "grown up" humor than ever.

kodai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kodai
Member since 2003 • 924 Posts

Because sometimes a trip to porcelain throne takes longer than expected.

Personaly I think that PC-Gamer has gone a bit downhill the past few years and I like the progress that GFW has made. It still needs some tewaking, but I like it. I read both, but currently look forward to GFW more than PC-Gamer.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
Although I haven't subscribed to either, I would pick PC gamer over GFW mag anyday. THe GFW crew not only talks about unimportant things way too much(ie talking about console games even though it's a PC mag) they also seem to try and act like they know certain things when they don't making them look like posers.(i.e. Acting like they all played the fallout series, even though they clearly haven't)
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts
I used to subscribe to both. This was before CGW became GFW. Back then, I found CGW to be the better magazine. The PC Gamer guys always came off as elitists and I didn't like the articles. I especially disliked the RPG reviewer guy at PGG.
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

I subscribe to both PC Gamer and GFW mags. There are always great articles to catch up on, and as someone mentioned, the trip to the porcelain god is always that much better when you have a fresh copy of GFW or PCG on hand. Also, since I travel a lot, they are great for the road, as I don't always have access to the net.

If I had to choose, I would say GFW mag is a much more mature magazine and a more in depth read than PC Gamer, which I find an easier read but lacking in depth. I used to love PC Gamer more than anything, but as I've gotten older, GFW magazine seems to cater more towards older gamers.

I also enjoy listening to both their podcasts, as they are the only podcasts on the net pertaining to PC Gaming. If anyone knows of any other PC only gaming podcasts, let me know. The Widget was great, but that's no more unfortunately.

Also, to the few posters that have commented about GFW magazine, they are still the Computer Gaming World guys. There is absolutely nothing linking them to MS besides the name, which is just a paid advertisement which MS also pays for a few pages in the back of the mag that clearly state what it is. Ziff Davis owns and distributes the magazine, not Microsoft. In fact, the GFW guys have been the most critical about upgrading to Vista or buying into the Windows Live program, very critical. While I wish their name was still CGW, it hasn't changed their influence or writing style one bit.

Mlazaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mlazaro
I love em both too,but man,GFW issues have been really THIN.Anyone else notice how small theyr mags are getting?
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
Yeah, that seems to be a problem with PCG as well, and I think GFW uses really cheap paper, which makes it seem even smaller...
Belabor474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Belabor474
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
I think some of the European pc game magazines are better. The pictures and contents just seem rather dull in the American mags. The jokes seem forced. But that's just my opinion.
xMedHeadx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 xMedHeadx
Member since 2004 • 109 Posts
True, but nonetheless, they are still governed by Microsoft, and you never know if there are some biased reviews backstage to influence more gamers to PC. PC Gamer has no ties to Microsoft, and simply based on that, they are more trustworthy. PC Gamer FTW.1carus
If you listened to their podcast or read the magazine, you'd see that they are definitely not tailoring their articles or opinions to match those from Redmond. One of the previous issues of GFW had an article (advertised on the cover, if memory serves) that asked "Is Vista Ready for Gaming?" or something along those lines. Their answer? No, it wasn't! They regularly belittle Vista on their podcast, a podcast which they are required to record, rather than something they actually *want* to record. Only one of the editors actually uses Vista on a regular basis. It's definitely not in Microsoft's back pocket, because they regularly criticize Windows for its various flaws. As the Wikipedia article says, they remain editorially honest, even with the Microsoft name.