PC case confusion, AC97 / HD audio cables.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Karl319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Karl319
Member since 2005 • 4390 Posts
Silly or not I'm at a loss for figuring this out after surfing around the internet. Right so my PC case has both an AC97 and HD audio cable on the frontpanel. Do I just plug in one or the other, or both? I understand that I don't need a sound card to use the HD audio wire. They're conjoined to each other like this. Except mines called Azalia instead of HD audio. So since my motherboard doesn't specify if I plug one or the other or both then I resort to asking here. Do I plug one in and leave the other dangling around in the case? Any help would be welcome.
FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts
yeah i also ran into that problem cause i couldnt find the connecter on the motherboard for the AC97 so its just dangling on mine
Karl319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Karl319
Member since 2005 • 4390 Posts
yeah i also ran into that problem cause i couldnt find the connecter on the motherboard for the AC97 so its just dangling on mineFUBAR24
And everything works fine? So that means I just connect the HD audio and leave the AC97 dangling?
DJ419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DJ419
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts

Older motherboards don't support HD Audio, so you would use the AC 97. If you have a newer motherboard then it's likely you'll be using the HD Audio. So to answer your question, yes you only need to use one of them.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#5 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts

Older motherboards don't support HD Audio, so you would use the AC 97. If you have a newer motherboard then it's likely you'll be using the HD Audio. So to answer your question, yes you only need to use one of them.

DJ419
Pretty much this. HD Audio for onboard is fairly new, but it's intended to replace the (craptastic) AC97. You only need to use one or the other; it's not intended for you to use both.
FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ419"]

codezer0
Pretty much this. HD Audio for onboard is fairly new, but it's intended to replace the (craptastic) AC97. You only need to use one or the other; it's not intended for you to use both.

ahh that makes sense, so would it be safe to cut that cable off so its not just hanging?
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts
[QUOTE="FUBAR24"] ahh that makes sense, so would it be safe to cut that cable off so its not just hanging?

If you tape up the wires individually it should be. Probably a better idea to just tie the connector back up to the cable however.