Overclocking and 8GB Ram concern

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Cujo31
Member since 2002 • 2884 Posts

Hi all.

I have an E8500 on a GA-EP45-UD3P running 8GB ram (I do photoshop and a lot of multi tasking so I just recently upgraded to 8GB from 4GB)

I've been interested in learning how to overclock and give a lot of repect to those that know a thing or two.

When I first built my computer the CPU was 3.16GHz and 4GB ram at 1066Mhz (5-5-5-18 ) all stock.

I have slowly tried different things and this is what I'm at right now:

CPU OC to 4Ghz - 9x 450Mhz
8GB Ram running stable at 900Mhz
Auto timings are 5-6-6-17 according to CPUZ
Sys Multiplier 2.00D
CPU at 1.3V and Ram at 2.1V
Idle temp for CPU is about 43C and under load seems to not go over 60C to much.
My MCH latch speed is 400Mhz (if that means anything to you all)
I have a 1:1 ratio with my FSB/DRAM.

I found out that this OCZ ram that I have does not like to run on my board at 1066 with 8GB ram.

I should have just bought 8GB of PC6400 800Mhz ram in the first place and saved my money.

I'd love some input on my set up here and some help in understanding timings.

Thanks for you time!

sn4k3_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 sn4k3_64
Member since 2007 • 1134 Posts

Why do you want to overclock 8 gb of ram your not even going to fully utilise o.0

Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cujo31

Why do you want to overclock 8 gb of ram your not even going to fully utilise o.0

sn4k3_64
My original build was from Dec 2008. I know it's over kill, I just wanted to add 4GB as I had the money and the ram was on sale. Future proof? I don't know.....but, I have noticed faster redering in photoshop and load times while multitasking. I was just wonder if there was something I was doing wrong when I couldn't get the 8GB to run at their rated speed of 1066. I don't want flaming, just some input as to how my set up looks. It runs prefectly stable at the moment. I'm not a pro at this over clocking business. Just wanna see what people think of my set up as I am not an expert..... Cheers.
Snotweasel530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Snotweasel530
Member since 2010 • 636 Posts

I would say, if you don't have/know of a reason to OC your hardware, then don't. There's a reason why every bit of marketed as OCable piece of hardware out there never fails to mention that OCing will void your warranty

Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cujo31
My reason is because I can. Anyone going to try and overclock should have the sense to know that it can void a warranty. Seeing how I'm the builder of the PC I warrant the thing.... I break I buy. Maybe I'm on the completely wrong website for this sort of stuff.....
metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts
you're not, there are just a few people who have no clue about overclocking. i could never get my 8GB of RAM to run at 1066 either, i assumed it was more due to a limitation of the motherboard than the RAM though, since i believe it's linked to the EPP. if i remember correctly i got it running at 1040ish though so it wasn't a big deal. it was a nice overclocking board though which had the northbridge locked off from the FSB so i could clock the CPU without the overclock affecting the RAM speed. i assume from your 1.1 ratio that your gigabyte doesn't have the same feature.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Since when does overclocking void your warranty? Unless you've fried the chip, how do AMD/Intel know you have overclocked it?
metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 metacritical
overclocking has always voided warranties, except in very rare instances. but like you said there is no way of them knowing. it is still incredibly rare that you will fry a chip due to inbuilt safety features so it's moot anyway really, unless you're doing some extreme overclocking. i suppose the lifespan of a CPU will be reduced by overclocking, 5-6 years instead of 7-8, but it's rare if you're overclocking that you will keep CPUs for that long anyway
Snotweasel530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Snotweasel530

My reason is because I can. Anyone going to try and overclock should have the sense to know that it can void a warranty. Seeing how I'm the builder of the PC I warrant the thing.... I break I buy. Maybe I'm on the completely wrong website for this sort of stuff.....Cujo31

I would say the vast majority of people posting here fail to realize this when it comes to OCing. Looking at the QVL for that board (rev 1.0), I see a OCZ p/n OCZ2N1066SR2GK listed at 1066, its for 1gb sticks, but I don't see why the 2gb wouldn't be supported either. QVL's are definately not all inclusive. You should be able to tighten up those timings to say, something along the lines of 5-5-5-15. When it comes to timings, the lower they are, the higher the performance you will see. Set them too low, and you'll see a loss of data I/O of the memory. Think of it as valve float on an engine. What voltage are you running them at? Those should be able to run at 2.1-2.3v

Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cujo31

[QUOTE="Cujo31"]My reason is because I can. Anyone going to try and overclock should have the sense to know that it can void a warranty. Seeing how I'm the builder of the PC I warrant the thing.... I break I buy. Maybe I'm on the completely wrong website for this sort of stuff.....Snotweasel530

I would say the vast majority of people posting here fail to realize this when it comes to OCing. Looking at the QVL for that board (rev 1.0), I see a OCZ p/n OCZ2N1066SR2GK listed at 1066, its for 1gb sticks, but I don't see why the 2gb wouldn't be supported either. QVL's are definately not all inclusive. You should be able to tighten up those timings to say, something along the lines of 5-5-5-15. When it comes to timings, the lower they are, the higher the performance you will see. Set them too low, and you'll see a loss of data I/O of the memory. Think of it as valve float on an engine. What voltage are you running them at? Those should be able to run at 2.1-2.3v

Thanks for the good replies guys. @Snotweasel530, I'm running the ram voltage on auto and Hardware monitor shows them running at 2.1V. Should I manually set this? I'll set the timings to what you suggested. They were at that when I had only the 4GB of ram. Set to Auto the 8Gigs are at 5-6-6-17. I'm running with a rev 1.6 board. Maybe the same deal though. Thanks for the info! @metacritical, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I've been having trouble finding info about it online. I'm not sure how to get my ram higher than 900mhz, without over clocking the CPU. Seems to be locked in a way. Maybe just the gigabyte board?
Snotweasel530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Snotweasel530

Thanks for the good replies guys. @Snotweasel530, I'm running the ram voltage on auto and Hardware monitor shows them running at 2.1V. Should I manually set this? I'll set the timings to what you suggested. They were at that when I had only the 4GB of ram. Set to Auto the 8Gigs are at 5-6-6-17. I'm running with a rev 1.6 board. Maybe the same deal though. Thanks for the info! @metacritical, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I've been having trouble finding info about it online. I'm not sure how to get my ram higher than 900mhz, without over clocking the CPU. Seems to be locked in a way. Maybe just the gigabyte board?Cujo31

Bump up the clock until it becomes unstable, then adjust the voltage. Bump up the clock again until stable, and you will have your max clock.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="Cujo31"]My reason is because I can. Anyone going to try and overclock should have the sense to know that it can void a warranty. Seeing how I'm the builder of the PC I warrant the thing.... I break I buy. Maybe I'm on the completely wrong website for this sort of stuff.....Snotweasel530

I'm intersted in changing my ram timings too, what's the best way of testing this to make sure they're stable? Would the pc just lock up or something? Thanks
metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 metacritical
if the timings are too tight the pc just won't boot
Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cujo31
Thanks all!
Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cujo31
Not a bump just an update for people having problems that are like mine. I wasn't able to get my Ram to run at 1066mhz with 8GB. I did some research and finally came to the idea to update my bios. Now flashing your Bios can be very dangerous if you screw it up so I recommended doing your research before you do it. With a gigabyte board it pretty simple. Long story short, updating my bios fixed all my ram problems. I'm now over clocked with my ram running strong at 1066mhz (which were the stock speeds of the ram to begin with)
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
Hey OP heres the PERFECT 2 articles for you: Have fun! http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.html between those two articles you will know almost EVERYTHING you need to know about overclocking your PC. The extra bonus is the second article I linked is tailored to Gigabyte mobos and its bios. Even though its not your model (i use the same model MObo you do) it will be almost identical. Read guide 1 first then the second. Cheers and Goodluck.
Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cujo31
Thanks Coldfire, Nice sig by the way!
Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
Silly question I know, but when u overclock a CPU, do you have to overclock the RAM and Northbridge aswell ?
Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cujo31
Check out those two links above. You don't have to overclock the ram at all. Watch out when overclocking your cpu though as the fsb will go up on the ram, it does on my board. You'll have to set the correct multiplier to set the ram back to stock speeds. Not sure if I worded all that right.