Opinions of Mass Effect?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I have two questions:

1. Does Mass Effect have a DRM/activation limits?

2. Is Mass Effect worth buying?

Frithead92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Frithead92
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

1. Yes

2. No

claytoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 claytoma
Member since 2002 • 1508 Posts
Yes to the first and no to the second. Although the graphics are nice the gameplay just felt shallow and dull. Try the Witcher Enhanced nows that would be a no to the first and a hell yes to the second.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#4 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

1. Yes.

2. Yes definitely. It is a highly cinematic experience. The voice acting, story and presentation are all very high quality. There is plenty of customisation so you can train to use assault rifles, special powers or other weapons like sniper rifles.

It is certainly not a traditional RPG - but at least it is something a bit different.

Some of the features in it are under used if anything. Like the bartering system. But the few flaws of the game will be made up with in the two sequels.

I was very impressed by the quality of the port. I think its one of the years best so far, in a pretty slow year. You should buy it.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

1. Yes.

2. Yes definitely. It is a highly cinematic experience. The voice acting, story and presentation are all very high quality. There is plenty of customisation so you can train to use assault rifles, special powers or other weapons like sniper rifles.

It is certainly not a traditional RPG - but at least it is something a bit different.

Some of the features in it are under used if anything. Like the bartering system. But the few flaws of the game will be made up with in the two sequels.

I was very impressed by the quality of the port. I think its one of the years best so far, in a pretty slow year. You should buy it.

biggest_loser

I recommend it also.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
As bad as every other bioware game.
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

As bad as every other bioware game.Johnny_Rock

Since no BioWare game is bad, this means Mass Effect is great

1. Yes

2. Absolutely, one of the best RPGs ever

Helbrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Helbrec
Member since 2008 • 1325 Posts
Mass Effect is great, buy it.
Begemott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Begemott
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts

I bought it like a week ago. I love it. Finished the story, planning on starting a new character this weekend.

Johnny - what didnt you like?

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

1. yes

2. depends,

if it's at bargain price, like $10 including S+H, and then yes, any price higher than that, no.

so far the worst Bioware RPG effort, the only things worthy mentioning are its character model and somewhat fun combat system.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

I have two questions:

chessmaster1989

1. Yes. 3 limits iirc, though they are motherboad-specific (i.e. you can swap out 9 video cards if you wanted to with no effect, but you only get 3 mobo swaps)

2. OMG YES YES YES! It is easily one of the greatest action-RPGs I've played.

Simply put, the story is epic. Truly, truly awesome, as you would expect from the saints at Bioware. There is also a lot more than meets the eye to the story; t here are undertones of social commentary, politics, and more. Racism (or specieism, actually) plays a big role in the game.

The gameplay is basic, but solid and very fun. It is real time, third-person shooter with other stuff (biotics, i.e. "force powers") and engineering skills. As you progress, you level and get points which you can put into various trees. More points in certain trees unlock skills. So, for example, if you put six points into armor, you get the ability to wear heavy armor.

Visuals are a mixed bag. While the engine is top notch, environments can be bland but that is to be expected with an Unreal 3 Engine game that is also a multiplatform title. What is top notch, however, are the NPC models...easily the best in any game, period.

Audio is also great. Guns sound the same (there are only four types, pistol, shotty, assault rifle, and sniper), but they do sound beefy and rewarding. The voice acting is great as well; whether its your brutal Krogan friend or the naive Asari, they all convey not only the emotion

Simply put, if youre looking for an exciting action game, yet want a great story and a bit of RPG depth, then Mass Effect is great.

thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#12 thenewau25
Member since 2007 • 2058 Posts
i havent play it much so far its great but not amazing since i havent play it much, screw drm it causes savegame problem, got to the fansites and download a fix removes drm too!
Cenerune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cenerune
Member since 2008 • 588 Posts

1- Yep it does

2- Hell yea! Its a great combo of genres without losing the Role Playing aspect.

raunaq_morarka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 raunaq_morarka
Member since 2004 • 88 Posts
Yes to the first and no to the second. Although the graphics are nice the gameplay just felt shallow and dull. Try the Witcher Enhanced nows that would be a no to the first and a hell yes to the second.claytoma
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 biggest_loser

i havent play it much so far its great but not amazing since i havent play it much, screw drm it causes savegame problem, got to the fansites and download a fix removes drm too!thenewau25

DRM does not affect the game at all.

MotherRussia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MotherRussia
Member since 2003 • 946 Posts
Mass Effect is the best game I played this year on my PC... the mix between RPG and combat is just awesome. Anyone knows if some other Bioware game will come with the same combat??
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]As bad as every other bioware game.Darth_Kane

1. Yes

Fail.

dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dsgsdfgf
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts
I would say it is worth buying if you can get it to run. I'm at the end of the game now and I can't play anymore because it won't load. Was great the parts I could play when it didn't crash or refused to load though.
Xefiroderc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xefiroderc
Member since 2007 • 236 Posts

It has a great plot, in my opinion, one of the best sci-fi stories to come out on any media lately. The gameplay is good, the combat isn't amazing, but it's pretty solid. The roleplaying element of the game is very well done.

The game does have some flaws though: the Mako (it's an all-terrain tank you use to navigate planet surfaces) is very frustrating to use, I didn't really like it very much and unfortunently you'll have to deal with a few, very lengthy, Mako areas. The secondary missions are also very repetitive, and if you don't do them you'll finish the game in 2, maybe 3 sittings.

I'd say it's worth the buy if you can find it below 40 euros and love a good sci-fi story.

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts
[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]As bad as every other bioware game.Johnny_Rock

1. Yes

Fail.

their first 3D attempt, KotOR1 was great but i can agree on Jade Empire and Mass Effect...

i wont include Baldur's Gate because i couldnt even try it yet...

also this game is technically terrible because my computer can play Crysis ( medium ), Far Cry 2 ( very high ) but cannot play Mass Effect higher than medium without trouble while this game has nothing interactive to calculate like Crysis or Far Cry 2...

i'm disappointed in Mass Effect alot but still i wont say its a bad game, its just i expected it to be rpg but its a shooter with rpg elements... skills are not making me enjoy it because they are again shooter like skills... if i would start playing it as shooter, i would enjoy it maybe...

oh another complain is, you can change your characters face but you cant see it truly until the game starts and you cant skip first 20 minutes long video so if you dont like your character's face and change it, you have to wait this torturing 20 minutes to start over...THIS made me stop playing it because i was tired of torturing first video...

oh and musics were pain for me... for more check here

*edit* ah one more thing, i was very frustrated with save problem. while you have save in menu, sometimes game doesnt allow you to save until some certain events and THATS PAIN... i wanted to leave the game so i tried to save but couldnt. tried, tried but couldnt... played alittle and tried again and i couldnt save and at last i quitted... i hated that it forced me to start over just because of its stupid save system...

thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thenewau25

[QUOTE="thenewau25"]i havent play it much so far its great but not amazing since i havent play it much, screw drm it causes savegame problem, got to the fansites and download a fix removes drm too!biggest_loser

DRM does not affect the game at all.

its a usual problem that doesnt allow you to save, stupid protection issues in order to make it work and allow me to save i used a modified exe from bioware forums which also disables activation, drm! its a usual issue check bioware forums!

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts
Yes very cinematic feel well polished in VA graphics etc....like i said cinematic,but felt like one of the multi million dollar hollywood blockbusters that bore you to death with blandness and numb your brain.
machockey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 machockey
Member since 2004 • 320 Posts
Like everyone else has stated, yes it has drm. I believe i saw something saying that Its drm was going to be knocked back to 5 installs (but dont quote me on this). As for your second question, if you have liked other bioware games in the past you will be sure to enjoy this one.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 teardropmina

if you have liked other bioware games in the past you will be sure to enjoy this one. machockey

not necessary; BG2 is my favorite game of all, but I find ME only bargain bin price worthy.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 teardropmina

like i said cinematic,but felt like one of the multi million dollar hollywood blockbusters that bore you to death with blandness and numb your brain.Astaroth2k

yeah, those self-righteous, self-important locker room talks are so incredibly cliche and pretentious, just like in those mainstream hollywood films.

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

great scenario, good universe, eh...

did i mention how great the scenario is?

jimbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#27 jimbow4
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts

1. Yes

2. I guess, if you can get it to work without resorting to formatting your hard drive.

A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
Yes, it does have SecuROM.
pcgamer_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pcgamer_07
Member since 2007 • 1164 Posts
BL has pretty much summed it up for me. Its an awesome game definitely worth buying!
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Great atmosphere, cutscenes are worth seeing.. The character development system certainly isn't bad and the combat gives alot more interactivity to it.. It does drag out in secondary missions, the item system is relatively dumb with really no real unique item.. No crafting system to speak of..

Mass Effect is definitely worth getting.. And the sequels have a ton of potential to them. Bioware made a very good universe from scratch.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Darth_Kane
[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]As bad as every other bioware game.Johnny_Rock

1. Yes

Fail.

Well, that's just your opinion and you're in the minority (and one of the few people that thinks all BioWare games suck)

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Darth_Kane

their first 3D attempt, KotOR1 was great

TheLegendKnight

Their first game is 3D was Neverwinter Nights

dinuattila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dinuattila
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts
Yes,of course it's worth buying...it's one of the best RPG's ever created,has great gameplay,nice visuals and what makes it even better is its story!
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

I have two questions:

chessmaster1989

1. Yes

2. Absolutely ( especially if it is for pc since it only cost 40) . You should know it gets repetitive though still one of the best rpg's this gen slightly behind kotor

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

yes, it hs drm

if you have too much free time and money and no other game to play, then the game is decent enough for one playthorugh, but there re huge number of other games i would recommend you before trying this one.

On a side note i definitely agree it is the worst bioware ... i never thought bioware could produce game which was even worse than Jade empire

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts
[QUOTE="TheLegendKnight"]

their first 3D attempt, KotOR1 was great

Darth_Kane

Their first game is 3D was Neverwinter Nights

thanks for correction

eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#37 eclarkdog
Member since 2004 • 1310 Posts

here are my points on the game:

1) great graphics

2) great story

3) very short

4) repetitive and pointless side missions (this is a fact and the developer's admitted so)

5) cool weapons and powers. However, the combat is underdeveloped

Bottom Line: Overrated game that is worth playing if you are a fan of KOTOR and Jade Empire as it's similar in spirit. I just wished I had bought it at a lower price. The story itself is worth it.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 biggest_loser

1) great graphics

2) great story

3) very short

4) repetitive and pointless side missions (this is a fact and the developer's admitted so)

Bottom Line: Overrated game that is worth playing if you are a fan of KOTOR and Jade Empire as it's similar in spirit. I just wished I had bought it at a lower price. The story itself is worth it.

eclarkdog

Its not very short. It can last at least 20 hours. Also where did the developers admit that portions of their own game were pointless? Do you have a link or anything?

Raiden8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 Raiden8
Member since 2007 • 200 Posts

1) YES

2) Absoloutely YES, The Gameplay is good, the graphic is good and above all that, the story is fabulous. It's really a game that u feel urself a part of it and u want to do sth great, makes u feel great. There are a lot of situations which u have to decide what to do. Also u can order ur crews to fight in the way u want them to, lets u have tactics when u are fighting.The only problem that the game has is the saving mechanism. It was a great experience for me and I hope the same for u 8)

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Yes and yes.
thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thenewau25
[QUOTE="eclarkdog"]

1) great graphics

2) great story

3) very short

biggest_loser

Its not very short. It can last at least 20 hours. Also where did the developers admit that portions of their own game were pointless? Do you have a link or anything?

is it as much as kotor? or more? thanks cuz so far i dont paly it much!

zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 zerosaber456
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts

Yes this game has DRM, unfortunately, but that's not Bioware's fault.

But the game is simply AMAZING. I'm on my fourth or fifth playthrough. The story is really good. The universe is really well done. Characters are fantastic. Combat is solid. RPG elements are solid as well. Everything about this game is good. The only few, and minor, complaints I have are repititious side quests, lack of character sidequests and NPC character interaction (like in KOTOR).

As for it's technical 'problems', you cannot blame Bioware for the port as Bioware only lent a hand in porting it. Deimurge Studios should burn to the ground for porting games as they've not been doing a good job on their ports already.

But yes, get the game. I'll gaurantee that you'll enjoy it. Believe me ask biggest_loser I'm a huge Mass Effect fan :p

thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thenewau25

Yes this game has DRM, unfortunately, but that's not Bioware's fault.

But the game is simply AMAZING. I'm on my fourth or fifth playthrough. The story is really good. The universe is really well done. Characters are fantastic. Combat is solid. RPG elements are solid as well. Everything about this game is good. The only few, and minor, complaints I have are repititious side quests, lack of character sidequests and NPC character interaction (like in KOTOR).

As for it's technical 'problems', you cannot blame Bioware for the port as Bioware only lent a hand in porting it. Deimurge Studios should burn to the ground for porting games as they've not been doing a good job on their ports already.

But yes, get the game. I'll gaurantee that you'll enjoy it. Believe me ask biggest_loser I'm a huge Mass Effect fan :p

zerosaber456

blame ea for drm

eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#45 eclarkdog
Member since 2004 • 1310 Posts
[QUOTE="eclarkdog"]

1) great graphics

2) great story

3) very short

biggest_loser

I actually read it in an interview on Gamespot about Mass Effect 2. It's probably on the Mass Effect page. Not so much admitting it's pointless but that the sidequests were repetitive and just not well done. Pointless is my comment as the sidequest don't really add a whole lot to the game other the leveling up. After touching down on a few planets it's pretty much all teh same.

The game is short by my standards. Avoiding side quests the game is about 5 plus hours.