Onlive: Does it work?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for lezdeppelin1249
lezdeppelin1249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 lezdeppelin1249
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts

Since the launch of Onlive yesterday (June 17th) I have read or watch any personal videos or reviews about it. Just curious, does anyone have an account here? If they do, what's it like? Does it work well?

I tried purchasing it yesterday to give it a try, but I'm on a waiting list...

Bloodymassacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Bloodymassacre
Member since 2007 • 391 Posts

I played the beta...and it does what it intends to do, and it does it well.

73X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 73X
Member since 2008 • 1545 Posts

I do and it works very well.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Whats the framerate and resolution? Do youget customizable controls?

SickStench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SickStench
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

Cranler

I would also like to know this question, and also how are the graphics? Good? Better than consoles? Up to par with PC graphics?

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts

[QUOTE="Cranler"]

SickStench

I would also like to know this question, and also how are the graphics? Good? Better than consoles? Up to par with PC graphics?

Same. :) Also does this Onlive thing let's you play any PC Games MAX but on streaming if that's the case all you need is a fast internet connection and no need to upgrade your hardware. Am i correct? =D

CrocodileNuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CrocodileNuts
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

[QUOTE="SickStench"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"]

NerubianWeaver

Same. :) Also does this Onlive thing let's you play any PC Games MAX but on streaming if that's the case all you need is a fast internet connection and no need to upgrade your hardware. Am i correct? =D

That is correct. :)

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts
Really, it's good? I thought it was going to be an epic failure.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#9 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

My buddy played Dragon Age on it and loved it, I might have to give this a chance sometime

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts
i was expecting more buzz around its release. can you play multiplayer with people that do not have onlive?
Bloodymassacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Bloodymassacre
Member since 2007 • 391 Posts

On beta, they didn't have max resolution released, I'm not sure about the real version's resolutions, but overall I was highly impressed with the graphics. Looking in the options everything was on "high" and I by no means have a top of the line (or even near top) gaming computer, and it ran with no lag, that I noticed. You just need a decent internet speed, I think it works as little as 1 mbit/s, and anything above 5 (maybe 10 can't remember) will be "perfect" or so they say. As for multiplayer, I assume it's only with people that have onlive, but not 100%.

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

I have a nice PC so I don't need it 8)

73X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 73X
Member since 2008 • 1545 Posts

Cranler
Well, since you can't customize video settings, I'm not sure about the resolution. But the framerate is consistently smooth. Yeah, you can customize your controls. This is all on Splinter Cell: Conviction, by the way.
lezdeppelin1249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lezdeppelin1249

Well that's good to know. I was sort of sleptical about it. I will definitely try it out. Thanks for the answers :)

lezdeppelin1249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lezdeppelin1249

Sorry about my spelling. It's 1:00 am here.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

I didn't realize they were going to offer it free for a limited number of people.. I just signed up now. It seems like an interesting idea :)

Avatar image for -tears-run-red-
-tears-run-red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -tears-run-red-
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts

What are the Minimum Recommended Requirements?

OnLive games are played through the Internet from an OnLive game data center. Currently all OnLive games are HD resolution. The Minimum Recommended Requirements are:

• PC: Windows® 7 or Vista (32 or 64-bit) or XP (32-bit)
  • Mac: Mac OS X 10.6 or later
  • Processor: Dual-core CPU
  • Screen Resolution: 1280x720
  • Internet Connection: 5 Mbps located inside the contiguous United States (wired connection required)

Although OnLive has found that most computers with at least a 5 Mbps wired residential Internet connection are sufficient for HD-resolution, many factors affect network quality and computer performance, including other applications using computer resources, and other users sharing your network. Currently, the OnLive Game Service does not allow access to users outside of the contiguous United States.

What type of Internet connection and computer do I need to use the OnLive Game Service?

OnLive recommends a wired 5 Mbps connection to the Internet (Wi-Fi is not supported at this time). When you sign in, OnLive runs an analysis of the performance of your Internet connection and the configuration of your computer. If any issues are found, you will be alerted and given an option to continue, although your gameplay experience may not be optimal. OnLive may not connect if it detects the computer performance or connection quality is below what is needed to play HDTV-resolution games.

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
Wow! Should i even bother buying a Gaming PC or should i try this OnLive thing. I have a laptop and it barely can't play games. I can save up to $1500 if i don't buy a Gaming PC. And i have a fast internet connection (Shaw 15 Mbps) Too bad the games on On Live is limited it has only 11 games i think
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Wow! Should i even bother buying a Gaming PC or should i try this OnLive thing. I have a laptop and it barely can't play games. I can save up to $1500 if i don't buy a Gaming PC. And i have a fast internet connection (Shaw 15 Mbps) Too bad the games on On Live is limited it has only 11 games i think NerubianWeaver
Honestly you are better off playing on a console if you do not want to pay for a PC, take a look at some pictures through the web. They had to compress the games so much that they look way worse than the console versions.
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
Lag is caused primarily by latency, not connection speed. Connecting from Oceanic regions will always result in lag, even if the internet speed is 25mb/s. The minimum latency achievable is around 150ms due to the long distance between the user and the server.
coolmonkeykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 coolmonkeykid
Member since 2004 • 3276 Posts
Where are the OnLive servers located?
Cgamer298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cgamer298
Member since 2010 • 153 Posts

To answer you guys questions....Yes it's amazing!! It plays in real 720P. I've noticed there games have shaper edge and look smoohter then my ps3 versions of some of them such as Batman:AA. Also, Borderlands looks way better than the PS3 and 360 version. I'm addictted to Unreal Tournament 3 on there.

lezdeppelin1249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lezdeppelin1249

Wow it's that good? That's really cool. I'm still waiting for an email back for its service.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
It will be good for people in the US, but unless they put strong servers on each continent, everyone else will have lag...
Levrar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Levrar
Member since 2004 • 1286 Posts
Wow! Should i even bother buying a Gaming PC or should i try this OnLive thing. I have a laptop and it barely can't play games. I can save up to $1500 if i don't buy a Gaming PC. And i have a fast internet connection (Shaw 15 Mbps) Too bad the games on On Live is limited it has only 11 games i think NerubianWeaver
I'm pretty sure it's US only right now.