This topic is locked from further discussion.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Ive been getting these weird BSOD's and they happen randomly from fresh restart to 24 hours later(ntokrnl.exe is the cause), but all happpens while idling and or using the start menu. I did the usual checking. Full check disk, ran seagate tools test drives, check file integrity through cmd,memtest,check temps, reinstalled all drivers.

Any thoughts?

I really dont want to reinstall Windows....

Also I can encode video and play games without issue.... so I doubt its hardware but just a OS issue

Snotweasel530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Snotweasel530
Member since 2010 • 636 Posts

Check what errors Windows is logging and download bluescreen viewer to look at the dump files.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 04dcarraher
the only error's its logged was the tages driver being blocked and the system shutting down correctly (BSOD) and bluescreenview shows ntokrnl.exe was at fault with bug check code 50
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
as admin, run CHKDSK /R
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

Ive been getting these weird BSOD's and they happen randomly from fresh restart to 24 hours later(ntokrnl.exe is the cause), but all happpens while idling and or using the start menu. I did the usual checking. Full check disk, ran seagate tools test drives, check file integrity through cmd,memtest,check temps, reinstalled all drivers.

Any thoughts?

Also I can encode video and play games without issue.... so I doubt its hardware but just a OS issue

04dcarraher

Can you post your minidump? Alternatively, you can upload it to your Skydrive's public folder in a zip file.

For example

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122111-23462-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFAA0054919A8, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8800458CFF3, 0x5)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 04dcarraher

as admin, run CHKDSK /Rdarksusperia
Already have

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
Post your system specs, please? BSOD when idle is a trademark of SSDs that aren't configured right, and of drivers not working right, as well as a typical error for bad RAM.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 04dcarraher
Post your system specs, please? BSOD when idle is a trademark of SSDs that aren't configured right, and of drivers not working right, as well as a typical error for bad RAM.ChiliDragon
Well I do not have a SSD, I also ran verifier tool to check to see if there was driver conflicts and it came up clean. My specs are Phenom 2 X4 955 @ 3.6 ghz (i have disabled the overclock to rule out but still it eventually BSOD) ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 12gb Corsair 1333 mhz DDR3 2x4gb +2x2gb EVGA GTX 560 + Geforce 8800GT I have reinstalled all drivers , and and have ran memtest86+ and memory came up clean
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 darksusperia
how long have you had the RAM? Very well could be a mismatch going on somewhere. (I know you said memtest came back clean). Try just running with the 2x4GB?
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="darksusperia"]how long have you had the RAM? Very well could be a mismatch going on somewhere. (I know you said memtest came back clean). Try just running with the 2x4GB?

I have had the 2x2 gb for years and the 2x4 gb for months, bsod's have only started in the last few days, but so far I havent had a BSOD for 10 hours
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darksusperia
so its not reproducable consistantly? Id still be stripping out some RAM, either the 2x4 or the 2x2. You have nothing to lose. CHKDSK /R normally fixes the ntoskrnl.exe BSOD's if that file is corrupted.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChiliDragon
Latest BIOS on mobo, and latest drivers on everything? Also, what is the error message on the blue-screen? Right-click on Computer, pick "Properties", pick "Advanced System Settings", pick "start-up and recovery settings", and uncheck the box next to auto-restart. That will force your computer to get stuck on the BSOD and give you a fair chance to read the error message.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="darksusperia"]so its not reproducable consistantly? Id still be stripping out some RAM, either the 2x4 or the 2x2. You have nothing to lose. CHKDSK /R normally fixes the ntoskrnl.exe BSOD's if that file is corrupted.

The BSOD is random, but it does tend to happen either at idle or when I used the start menu when it decides to screw up. Whats the point of stripping ram when its been working just fine for 7 months(new batch) and memtest came up clean. If I have bad memory I should see it when its being used while gaming or doing other intensive jobs. Ive ran Prime 95 for 30 minutes and no issues max temp 47C. ya ive already done a full scandisk and even sfc scan to check windows integrity. If I get another BSOD I will format and reinstall windows, ive already started preparing.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]Latest BIOS on mobo, and latest drivers on everything? Also, what is the error message on the blue-screen? Right-click on Computer, pick "Properties", pick "Advanced System Settings", pick "start-up and recovery settings", and uncheck the box next to auto-restart. That will force your computer to get stuck on the BSOD and give you a fair chance to read the error message.

Yes I have the latest bios, and drivers for everything, I do believe its an OS issue corrupted files or driver conflict I dont see. Ive used both bluescreenview and windebug to see the error.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darksusperia

because Ive seen RAM pass memtest but still to be at fault.

Just cause its been fine for X amount of time doesnt mean it cant become faulty/ish later. Whos to say thats it not one of the slots on the mobo, if anything at all.

As it stands you really havent provided much more detailed info other then you got a BSOD, pointing at ntokrnl.exe as the faulting app. Hell, Ive had a machine become, slow, unresponsive, delayed in doing anything, no cpu activity etc with no physical evidence of anything wrong with the OS, much like your seeing..

It was a external USB drive gone faulty. You could plug it into any other machine and it wouldnt exhibit the same behaviour, just not work.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Put the PC to "sleep" and start it back up and tell me if you get a blue screen. More than likely it's the memory, or a corrupted driver. If CHKDSK hasn't worked already, you will have to boot up your Windows CD and select to repair those affected file(s).

The thing is, chkdsk (as admin) should have fixed it but apparently it did not. Before going further, repair the file(s). I'm betting it's a corrupted driver.

Have you run Windows Memory Diagnostic? (not memtest) It found faulty/incompatible ram with mine.. Although your situation seems more like corrupted file like I said earlier.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 04dcarraher

Put the PC to "sleep" and start it back up and tell me if you get a blue screen. More than likely it's the memory, or a corrupted driver. If CHKDSK hasn't worked already, you will have to boot up your Windows CD and select to repair those affected file(s).

The thing is, chkdsk (as admin) should have fixed it but apparently it did not. Before going further, repair the file(s). I'm betting it's a corrupted driver.

Have you run Windows Memory Diagnostic? (not memtest) It found faulty/incompatible ram with mine.. Although your situation seems more like corrupted file like I said earlier.

Elann2008
Well , just put my pc to sleep(ever do normally), and no BSOD, and Windows memory diagnostic was the 2nd thing I tried after ckhdsk. Ya I think a file or files are corrupted, but so far so good a 12 hours without an issue. I'll see if it survives the night....
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

04dcarraher
Well , just put my pc to sleep(ever do normally), and no BSOD, and Windows memory diagnostic was the 2nd thing I tried after ckhdsk. Ya I think a file or files are corrupted, but so far so good a 12 hours without an issue. I'll see if it survives the night....

So no BSOD's since chkdsk? If so, I'm 99% sure you'll be fine from here on out.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Elann2008

So no BSOD's since chkdsk? If so, I'm 99% sure you'll be fine from here on out.

ya Ive had BSOD's after chkdsk, I did most all the troubling yesterday and some today. I will see what tomorrow brings
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

Any thoughts?

04dcarraher

For driver issues, have you tried http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml ?

AlexZor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AlexZor
Member since 2011 • 81 Posts

Last week I had a ridiculously uncanny problem with strange BSODs like yours. The only difference was that my bcode was the infamous 124. I remembered that the last major system change I made was updating my graphics driver to 301.42. I've since stripped them (driver sweeped in safe, yada yada) and went back to the 296.10s and haven't had a problem for about a week now. My BSODS were also pretty random. Only happened on my desktop while idling or browsing the net. Its worth a shot. I'm hoping a driver change was the solution, but I'm still pretty paranoid. I hope you get it sorted out.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 04dcarraher
Well its been up for 22 hours so far no issue,
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darksusperia
good news.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 04dcarraher

over 30 hours now no issue. looks like its fixed... or its on a good random cycle :P

AlexZor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AlexZor
Member since 2011 • 81 Posts

over 30 hours now no issue. looks like its fixed... or its on a good random cycle :P

04dcarraher

Knock wood! So what'd you do?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

AlexZor

Knock wood! So what'd you do?

I threatened it's life :P
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChiliDragon
I threatened it's life :P 04dcarraher
Good move! That always works ;) Glad you got things sorted.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 04dcarraher
*update* Well it didnt last for long, and I started having stuttering issues in games such as Skyrim. The Stuttering was linked the the harddrive thrashing I was seeing, So I went ahead and attempted to reinstall windows, and during install bsod. So went and grabbed an other harddrive I had lying around, installed windows, drivers and steam and tried out Skyrim as the test and its running just fine. The thing whats gets me is that the drive passed the s.m.a.r.t check. O well I guess, that drive was like 6 years old they dont last forever.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darksusperia
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]*update* Well it didnt last for long, and I started having stuttering issues in games such as Skyrim. The Stuttering was linked the the harddrive thrashing I was seeing, So I went ahead and attempted to reinstall windows, and during install bsod. So went and grabbed an other harddrive I had lying around, installed windows, drivers and steam and tried out Skyrim as the test and its running just fine. The thing whats gets me is that the drive passed the s.m.a.r.t check. O well I guess, that drive was like 6 years old they dont last forever.

You didnt run a Long Drive Self Test when you originally ran seatools? That would have picked it up straight away.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"]*update* Well it didnt last for long, and I started having stuttering issues in games such as Skyrim. The Stuttering was linked the the harddrive thrashing I was seeing, So I went ahead and attempted to reinstall windows, and during install bsod. So went and grabbed an other harddrive I had lying around, installed windows, drivers and steam and tried out Skyrim as the test and its running just fine. The thing whats gets me is that the drive passed the s.m.a.r.t check. O well I guess, that drive was like 6 years old they dont last forever.

You didnt run a Long Drive Self Test when you originally ran seatools? That would have picked it up straight away.

I ran the smart and short drive not the long, but a interesting bit of info I found out about the SMART though, drives fail without giving any S.M.A.R.T. warnings at all, meaning that S.M.A.R.T. data alone has limited usefulness in anticipating failures.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 darksusperia

[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"]*update* Well it didnt last for long, and I started having stuttering issues in games such as Skyrim. The Stuttering was linked the the harddrive thrashing I was seeing, So I went ahead and attempted to reinstall windows, and during install bsod. So went and grabbed an other harddrive I had lying around, installed windows, drivers and steam and tried out Skyrim as the test and its running just fine. The thing whats gets me is that the drive passed the s.m.a.r.t check. O well I guess, that drive was like 6 years old they dont last forever. 04dcarraher

I ran the smart and short drive not the long, but a interesting bit of info I found out about the SMART though, drives fail without giving any S.M.A.R.T. warnings at all, meaning that S.M.A.R.T. data alone has limited usefulness in anticipating failures.

Correct, always run Long DST if you think, or suspect HDD issues.

I dont know which one you used but if you use the Seatools for DOS cd and run the LDST you can have a chance of repairing bad sectors. Ive had drives that are far to gone to even try but then had others that were saved somewhat from that.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ChiliDragon
I ran the smart and short drive not the long, but a interesting bit of info I found out about the SMART though, drives fail without giving any S.M.A.R.T. warnings at all, meaning that S.M.A.R.T. data alone has limited usefulness in anticipating failures.04dcarraher
Unfortunately, yes. At last you caught it before you lost everything!
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]I ran the smart and short drive not the long, but a interesting bit of info I found out about the SMART though, drives fail without giving any S.M.A.R.T. warnings at all, meaning that S.M.A.R.T. data alone has limited usefulness in anticipating failures.ChiliDragon
Unfortunately, yes. At last you caught it before you lost everything!

I always have most it backed up, I just got get most of my apps installed.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="darksusperia"] You didnt run a Long Drive Self Test when you originally ran seatools? That would have picked it up straight away.darksusperia

Correct, always run Long DST if you think, or suspect HDD issues.

I dont know which one you used but if you use the Seatools for DOS cd and run the LDST you can have a chance of repairing bad sectors. Ive had drives that are far to gone to even try but then had others that were saved somewhat from that.

Ive had bad sectors before with other drives, but the drive was acting slow and was thrashing alot, it was a death cry, I might hook it up to my external enclosure and do a low level format just to see.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 04dcarraher
Well today I got around to doing a full format and a long drive pass with seagate tools and it passed.