Oblivion and Vista

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts
Oblivion crashes everytime I load it up, before the game screen even loads.  Is this a Vista problem?  Has anyone else encountered this?
Kiwi_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Kiwi_1
Member since 2003 • 2963 Posts
Oblivion is incompatible with Vista.  It was designed for XP, runs better on Win2000, however, and is unlikely to be patched to improve its relationship to Vista.  However, a lot of gamers are getting by with using Vista somehow.  Personally, I'm staying away from that blimp until after the first Service Pack!
IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 IMAHAPYHIPPO
strange, the first i installed it, it ran just fine, but now it crashes everytime.. lame.  I was most excited about playing that w/ my 8800.
Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts
Starcraft was designed for a lower operating system too, but it runs fine on my computer (at first it crashed like Oblivion does for you). Try reinstalling, or something. With a great game like Oblivion, the research is worth it. If it's not compatible now, then they'll surely come out with a patch or something for it later.
IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IMAHAPYHIPPO
yeah i sure hope so.. shelling out 350 for an 8800 and using it for supreme commander would really piss me off..
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Hmmm. Oblivion seems to work perfectly fine on my machine. Its even one of the titles that suffered the least performance drop from XP to Vista.

GeForce 7900 GT

AMD X2 64 3800+

Built in audio 

Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts
no issues here, make sure you have the latest updates.
IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 IMAHAPYHIPPO
i guess i'll try reinstalling... hmm
anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts
I play oblivion with max settings on vista. I haven't experienced even 1 problem after 40+ hours of gameplay :D
knut-am

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 knut-am
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts

Oblivion is incompatible with Vista.  It was designed for XP, runs better on Win2000, however, and is unlikely to be patched to improve its relationship to Vista.  However, a lot of gamers are getting by with using Vista somehow.  Personally, I'm staying away from that blimp until after the first Service Pack! Kiwi_1

its not nice to hand out false information in the forums, if you dont know anything about what you reply to there is no point in telling lies to hide it.  that only serve to confuse other gamers, stop it please. 

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Maybe you might have to upgrade dx10, dx9 or something in between?....Im planning on getting Vista in couple months, but Im kinda skeptic about it cuz of bugs. but Im sure they will fix it soon enough, hopefully.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#12 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
My laptop came with Vista, Oblivion will not start on it.
Avatar image for deactivated-60a353d568bd7
deactivated-60a353d568bd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-60a353d568bd7
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts
Yuk, sounds like I was right to stay away from Vista thus far, so many gamers on so many different games are complaining about compatibility issues. Hope it gets serviced packed into goodness before Crysis gets released! (Not that I think I'll be able to play it on my 8600gt :P)
rohver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 rohver
Member since 2005 • 11848 Posts
I play Oblivion and starcraft without problems on Vista. Just reinstall the game and see
mrhyde2137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mrhyde2137
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I am also experiencing the crash upon game startup. I am running Vista Home Premium on an ASUS A8N SLI Premium MB, Athalon 3700, 3071 MB RAM, 250 gig maxtor SATA, X800 3d card(which the Oblivion readme notes says is supported).The game loads up fine and the Emperor's opening monologue plays fine and then it crashes.

The funny thing is, I have the drive partitioned with my old XP system on the other half and Oblivion plays fine there, so this is more of a curiosity thing for me. All Vista drivers are up to date. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Oblivion on the Vista half with no luck. I downloaded the patch from Bethesda. There is plenty of free space on both partitions. DVD's play fine in the DVD drive using Vista. Half Life 2 played fine in Vista.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rewey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rewey
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts
Just play around with the settings a little and reinstall it.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Do you have any mods installed?
Kiwi_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kiwi_1
Member since 2003 • 2963 Posts

I play Oblivion and starcraft without problems on Vista. Just reinstall the game and seerohver

Starcraft, I have had no feedback on, but unlike the fool who wanted to play at flame-baiting, Oblivion is a program that I do know about, and it is more likely to have problems, than to run smoothly, on Vista. It's a real fact, and hasn't changed during the most recent patch (included with Shivering Isles), although the percentage of "no problem with Vista" occurrences may now have gone up to some degree. Incidentally, the word "compatible", or its antithesis, "incompatible", do not appear in any of my comments with regard to Oblivion. I don't find those to be useful words. I do prefer communication in real English, and consistently ignore fools whose misusage and juvenile pidgin is an insult to the langiage.

As games begin to become as complex as the newer titles are, the variable nature of the WinTel PC as game platform is more and more noticeable. Two PCs with the same internal hardware, even the same drivers, but each one has different performances from various games, because of the subtleties in the OSes themselves (including XP to a sizable extent, but much less so than Vista). In comparison, for those games that can run one both Windows2000 and WindowsXP that I do know about with both NWN2 and Oblivion, there are fewer game anomalies with Win2K (and I think it's the lowered number of normal ongoing processes that W2K loads in relation to what XP does). Vista is just more of the same, just worse.

I've also tested on two PCs with RCT1, when the Beta was offered to the public. I found Vista simply not suitable at this time. After a Service Pack, I will test again (this isn't the first time I've advised newbies to hold their horses. I already had close to 15 years of computer experience when Windows #1, the first one, that ran as a TSR on 16 Bit DOS 3, was released).

irelevent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 irelevent
Member since 2005 • 1497 Posts

Oblivion crashes everytime I load it up, before the game screen even loads. Is this a Vista problem? Has anyone else encountered this?IMAHAPYHIPPO
must be you i have vista (8600gt 1 gb of ram 320gb hd) everything works fine here! did you make sure that its administrator ctrl each time? do you have it in compatability mode??

but seriously im playing it on near high all settings just fine.

do oyu have the update?

did you try re-instaling? thanks gbye

o abd btw kiwi dont say its incompatable because its een working last 2 months ive had it.

-added i have both expanisoins to oblivion aswell and everything is working.

its definetely not vista, try updating vista, and updating oblivion. go now!

and make sure to Have a happy day, cuz i am playing it right now mmhmmm........ through the gates of dementia, cheating and killing the gatekeeper =)

irelevent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 irelevent
Honestly people are smart (SMRT) people dont understand how to right click, go down to propertys, and change it so u play as admin, thats why games wont work 99% of the time, STUPID PEOPLE =)
manic111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 manic111
Member since 2005 • 1280 Posts
Just out of interest (I dont have Vista, just reading this out of curiosity) is there a backwards compatibility thing like there is on XP?
mrhyde2137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrhyde2137
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

No mods installed and the Admin trick does not work. I messed with a few video settings, then reinstalled,to no avail.

Also running Rome Total War and Medieval Total War 2 both fine on Vista, both on high settings.

Oh well. Thanks for the replies.

pokeracc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pokeracc
Member since 2006 • 2198 Posts
Oblivion works on my Vista. Anyone know if the Shivering Isles has compatability issues?
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
Try installing new drivers, reinstalling, and patch it up. does vista have that compatibility mode like xp? because that's the only other thing I can think of. you also might want to check this from Tweakguides.
irelevent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 irelevent
i have shivering isles and knights of the nine both work fine on my vista, i think i allready posted this...
jazilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#26 jazilla
Member since 2005 • 2320 Posts
check out some oblivion fansites as well. they might have some mods on there that improve stability for Vista.
zintarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 zintarr
Member since 2004 • 2212 Posts
I play it with XP compatibility mode and as an administrator and have never had a problem on Vista.
adron999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 adron999
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
how do you get to get xp compability mode?
Soulsuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Soulsuit
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
This is what has worked for me... First if you have installed any codecs these may be your problem. If you not using this pack here: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Advanced-Vista-Codec-Package-Download-55586.html then uninstall the pack your using and install this pack. And then use this loader for oblivion: http://www.oldblivion.com/?page=download . Just copy it into the root dir for the game and make a shortcut wherever you would like it. If you are using that codec pack and still are having problems try uninstalling the pack and reinstalling it before you go so far as uninstalling the game and reinstalling it.
attila_the_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 attila_the_

oblivion patch

attila_the_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 attila_the_

sorry.. that was a test. where can i find the right patch for oblivion (th elder...) for running the game without crashing on vista home prenium greek version?

MasterJawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MasterJawa
Member since 2005 • 66 Posts
It must be your drivers/hardware config. Play tested a zillion games on Vista Ultimate 64bit and am yet to have any problems. Anyone telling you different obviously isn't actively updating thier drivers.