This topic is locked from further discussion.

10knuckles01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 10knuckles01
Member since 2007 • 165 Posts

was wondering what the is the best price/performance gpu for notebooks ATM?? and is it wise to overclock them seeing that notebooks get hot enough as it is

edit- also is 8gb ram enough for a gaming notebook? if not, is it easy to upgrade to more ram on a notebook>?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

was wondering what the is the best price/performance gpu for notebooks ATM?? and is it wise to overclock them seeing that notebooks get hot enough as it is

edit- also is 8gb ram enough for a gaming notebook? if not, is it easy to upgrade to more ram on a notebook>?

10knuckles01

I'll let others chime in on which laptops are good for the money right now, but as for 8GB of RAM that's the sweet spot even for a gaming desktop so you won't need any more than that. RAM and HD are the only that you can pretty consistently upgrade on nearly all laptops without too much effort. CPU can be upgraded as well on many laptops, but generally with a lot more effort.

Overclocking laptops is possible, but usually only within the confines of what that laptop manufacturer allows. Alienware laptops, for example, will let you overclock by about 5% in their custom BIOS if you are running an EX chip. This is generally pretty safe as it's sanctioned by the manufacturer, but it can still potentially void your warranty (I never looked into the details on mine since I had to replace the CPU to be able to do this anyway.

-Byshop

chris24l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chris24l
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts

probably the gtx560M or the gtx660m is the best price performance ratio. laptop gpus can be overclocked pretty good. my 9600gtm stock runs at 400mhz and it will overclock to 600mhz all day no problem on the core, i dont overclock the video memory.. and it adds a few frames maybe 5 to 10. i would say though to get NVIDIA for gpu in the laptop. i have had mine for four years in my cyberpower laptop and it works to this day if it was new. supposedly laptop gpus are built to withstand more heat than a desktop. 8gb ram is plenty, and yes it is very easy to upgrade ram.

10knuckles01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 10knuckles01

thanx for the info :)

so the 560m or 660m overclocked would run most modern games at a playable frame rate at high settings?

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
You can buy a custom bios from Phoenix for nearly any motherboard that allows overclocking, but I would only recommend it for laptops that have a slower CPU than what the motherboard is designed to handle. Or if you've inspected the motherboard's power phase design, and the CPU temps are fine, then I guess that overclocking using a new bios would be okay.. And this is a list of most modern laptop GPU's, and how they rank compared to other laptop GPU's. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html.You can get a laptop with an HD 7680M or GT 645M for about $700. Both are good GPU's for the price. You're likely going to pay exponentially higher prices for laptops with better GPU's than these...
10knuckles01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 10knuckles01

so i did some snooping around and found this notebook which sorta ticks all boxes, good cpu and gpu, ssd and blu ray

tell me your thoughts http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1013&products_id=21812

edit - it also comes in 17.3'' screen for extra $50 is the size noticable?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1013&products_id=21815

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

so i did some snooping around and found this notebook which sorta ticks all boxes, good cpu and gpu, ssd and blu ray

tell me your thoughts http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1013&products_id=21812

edit - it also comes in 17.3'' screen for extra $50 is the size noticable?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1013&products_id=21815

10knuckles01
Those are both excellent choices if you have the money. Also, the GE60 and GE70 are both about $350 cheaper at Newegg...
chris24l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chris24l
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts

MSI would be my first choice of brand. they look very good. it will play any game fine, some though not at the very highest settings, but no laptop can. for a laptop these are probably your best bet. i would go with the 15 inch, but it doesnt really matter but the 17 inch may have better cooling but probably not. these look good.

10knuckles01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 10knuckles01

can't do newwegg as I am in Australia and yes prices here are crazy high,, those two i posted are the cheapest i could find:cry:

another ? , will windows fit on a 64gb ssd and leave room for a couple of games, Skyrim maybe?

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

can't do newwegg as I am in Australia and yes prices here are crazy high,, those two i posted are the cheapest i could find:cry:

another ? , will windows fit on a 64gb ssd and leave room for a couple of games, Skyrim maybe?

10knuckles01
I think at best you'll be able to get 3 (current, non-indie) games onto a 64GB HDD assuming you don't have much of a music/video collection and also don't use a lot of programs.