Not enough information on Skyrim to make me pre-buy

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kokonut1971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 kokonut1971
Member since 2007 • 443 Posts

I have been watching skyrim information but so far there is not enough to convince me that this is a must buy game on release day or even pre-buy, it looks interesting but that is just about it. I dont know i am really on the fence. I am always looking for cool action rpg's but so far all i have seen are cool fancy graphics and the rest is pretty standard rpg stuff it has nothing i haven't seen in a game before or done.

are you in the same boat as me? I know that dragon age origins generated more interest than this game when it was getting on the verge of gettign released...

what do you think?

nesproc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nesproc
Member since 2011 • 190 Posts
if you played the other elder scrolls games you might be more hyped (or even the fallout(3/nv) series same company/engine(s) only updated) i dunno if you have seen it or not "20 mins of gameplay" http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/09/12/20-minutes-of-skyrim-action/ should help you decide
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
I'm thinking of only one thing, where is the hype coming from? the only great thing I "heard" about it was the economy, even that is not worth hyping, it's more of a "ha I'll believe the incompetent Bethesda can do something like that when I'll see it".
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
I'm pumped for it. I'm a huge fan of all their games and there is plenty of gameplay footage showing a huge variety of gameplay elements.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#5 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I'll buy it the day of release, but right now I see no reason to preorder. Maybe closer to release when some sweeter preorder deals are sure to come out. Preordering now makes no sense to me personally.

hkhatir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hkhatir
Member since 2009 • 590 Posts

I have been watching skyrim information but so far there is not enough to convince me that this is a must buy game on release day or even pre-buy, it looks interesting but that is just about it. I dont know i am really on the fence. I am always looking for cool action rpg's but so far all i have seen are cool fancy graphics and the rest is pretty standard rpg stuff it has nothing i haven't seen in a game before or done.

are you in the same boat as me? I know that dragon age origins generated more interest than this game when it was getting on the verge of gettign released...

what do you think?

kokonut1971

They have a 40 minute gameplay clip of Blizzcon up on youtube. How is 40 minutes of actual gameplay not enough for you?

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="kokonut1971"]

what do you think?

hkhatir

They have a 40 minute gameplay clip of Blizzcon up on youtube. How is 40 minutes of actual gameplay not enough for you?

Blizzcon o_0 maybe Quakecon since the company that owns Bethesda now owns id.
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

I have been avoiding read/watching info on the game so as to not generate unbearable excitement, and STILL I've felt that this game is practically the reason to stay alive through the end of the year. How can people even just casually glancing at anything related to Skyrim not know it's going to be by far the best game ever released on anything ever?!

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

[QUOTE="kokonut1971"]

what do you think?

hkhatir

Yeah, I'm not really sure how much more information they can give you...
LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 LUMIN4RY
Member since 2011 • 416 Posts

From everything I've seen this is going to be an amazing game. If you enjoyed previous elder scrolls games... or maybe even if you didn't.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Graphics and character models certainly look MUCH better.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts
I can't wait to pay money for horse armor DLC!
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Combat looks just like Oblivion, which was very lackluster, imo.

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts
I can't wait to pay money for horse armor DLC!MythPro1
People still stuck on the horse armor DLC? That's so like 5 years ago.
MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MythPro1
[QUOTE="MythPro1"]I can't wait to pay money for horse armor DLC!MadCat46

I was being sarcastic. However, I totally expect something equally mindblowing though. And not in a good way.
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

It's TES. That alone gives it more merit to pre-order then any other game :P

kokonut1971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kokonut1971
Member since 2007 • 443 Posts

i have glanced at a few video, but like i said it is pretty basic rpg stuff, i am not saying that it is gonna be bad, but it looks much like any rpg i have played, like arcania, risen, gothic 3 but with cutting edge technology graphics. but i have seen huge valleys forest etc....what about cities and such? will it suck or will it be entertaining like the cities in assassin creed...

there are dozens upon dozen of rpg where all you do is run in valleys and forest and kill stuff , i hope this does not turn out to be the same thing where you end up spending an insane amount of time just walking around killing dumb npc's and gathering loot with no real goal...

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bussinrounds

i have glanced at a few video, but like i said it is pretty basic rpg stuff, i am not saying that it is gonna be bad, but it looks much like any rpg i have played, like arcania, risen, gothic 3 but with cutting edge technology graphics. but i have seen huge valleys forest etc....what about cities and such? will it suck or will it be entertaining like the cities in assassin creed...

there are dozens upon dozen of rpg where all you do is run in valleys and forest and kill stuff , i hope this does not turn out to be the same thing where you end up spending an insane amount of time just walking around killing dumb npc's and gathering loot with no real goal...

kokonut1971

They're called hiking sims. Not rpgs. lol

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I'm holding off as well. I love Elder Scrolls, but I've never bought one at release. I always wait until Game of the Year edition. I just hate DLC pretty much. I have never bought DLC. I either get the base game and avoid DLC or buy GOTY edition when it comes out.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jedinat

kokonut1971
You do not understand nor appreciate TES games apparently. They are the most versatile fantasy RPGs on the market. Nothing else even comes close. I'm playing The Witcher 2 right now and despite all the good thing about the game, I feel stifled. This is how people who appreciate TES look at it: Skryim is Oblivion without most of its failings; in a better locale; with hopefully a better narrative; better visuals; better mechanics; the platform for the next generation of the greatest mods. That is all it needs to be and everything someone who appreciates TES would ever want.
RosieMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RosieMafia
Member since 2011 • 29 Posts

kokonut1971

All I can say is you obviously haven't played an Elder Scrolls game before...you should get on that. I can say quite honestly that all my friends and I (we've all played Oblivion and some older Elder Scrolls games) have never been so pumped for a game to come out in our lives. After playing Oblivion it is nearly guarenteed that Skyrim will take away whatever social life we had previously as none of us will be able to stop playing it. And it's not an unpleasant experience, it's thoroughly enjoyable as a matter of fact.

My advice - either go play an Elder Scrolls game to get an idea of how they work or sit through a few gameplay videos and don't let yourself be distracted by anything.

nesproc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nesproc
Member since 2011 • 190 Posts

i hope this does not turn out to be the same thing where you end up spending an insane amount of time just walking around killing dumb npc's and gathering loot with no real goal...kokonut1971
Welcome to Sandbox Open World RPGs ... (Assuming stuff here) there should be plenty of side quests and the main quest to keep you on track.... from the sounds of it you are not an elder scrolls or fallout3+ fan ...and you wont be .... you just want to troll the game ...(k0f lock the topic k0f)

morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

I willing to be $100 that Skyrim will suck just as bad as Oblivion. And be another console trash game.
Don't agree with me? Thats perfectly cool. We'll see 11-11-11.

:D

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

kokonut1971

That's pretty much it. Since morrowind, bethesda has apparently lost the ability to write plots above elementary schoo level, with lackluster characters and a black and white morality system. Not to mention that they're totally devoid of any choices whatsoever. You have no say in how the story or quests go. Most of them have been simple fetch this and kill that quests too. If you want a good modern rpg, check out fallout new vegas. If you want to simply explore and kill things, then get skyrim.

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Former_Slacker

I willing to be $100 that Skyrim will suck just as bad as Oblivion. And be another console trash game.
Don't agree with me? Thats perfectly cool. We'll see 11-11-11.

:D

morrowindnic

I totally agree. They've simplified it even more than what they had in oblivion too. I stopped caring for bethesda's games after oblivion but I'm a huge fallout fan and I worry they'll kill it too. I hope obsidian (black isle) gains control of the franchise.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bussinrounds

[QUOTE="kokonut1971"]

Former_Slacker

That's pretty much it. Since morrowind, bethesda has apparently lost the ability to write plots above elementary schoo level, with lackluster characters and a black and white morality system. Not to mention that they're totally devoid of any choices whatsoever. You have no say in how the story or quests go. Most of them have been simple fetch this and kill that quests too. If you want a good modern rpg, check out fallout new vegas. If you want to simply explore and kill things, then get skyrim.

Totally agree. At least if they made some better combat like Demons Souls or Might and Magic, say, it could possibly be a decent GTA style fantasy action game, but Betheseda never learn.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="kokonut1971"]

jedinat
You do not understand nor appreciate TES games apparently. They are the most versatile fantasy RPGs on the market. Nothing else even comes close. I'm playing The Witcher 2 right now and despite all the good thing about the game, I feel stifled. This is how people who appreciate TES look at it: Skryim is Oblivion without most of its failings; in a better locale; with hopefully a better narrative; better visuals; better mechanics; the platform for the next generation of the greatest mods. That is all it needs to be and everything someone who appreciates TES would ever want.

I appreciate TES, but Skyrim is not even in the ballpark of what I'd consider to be an ideal TES game.
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jedinat

Totally agree. At least if they made some better combat like Demons Souls or Might and Magic, say, it could possibly be a decent GTA style fantasy action game, but Betheseda never learn.

bussinrounds

Wow, just wow. So much fail here.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jedinat

I appreciate TES, but Skyrim is not even in the ballpark of what I'd consider to be an ideal TES game.KHAndAnime
That's nice. *looks at KHAndAnime's rating of "1.0" for Oblivion* ...but completely irrelevant.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MythPro1

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]I appreciate TES, but Skyrim is not even in the ballpark of what I'd consider to be an ideal TES game.jedinat

That's nice. *looks at KHAndAnime's rating of "1.0" for Oblivion* ...but completely irrelevant.

People have different opinions than your own, news at 11.
MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts
[QUOTE="MadCat46"][QUOTE="MythPro1"]I can't wait to pay money for horse armor DLC!MythPro1

I was being sarcastic. However, I totally expect something equally mindblowing though. And not in a good way.

I can find a lot of things to bash Bethesda on, but they've done a pretty good job with their DLC post horse armor/player house things.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]I appreciate TES, but Skyrim is not even in the ballpark of what I'd consider to be an ideal TES game.jedinat

I don't review games, I mostly only rate to bring up/down averages. ;)
MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MythPro1

[QUOTE="MythPro1"][QUOTE="MadCat46"] People still stuck on the horse armor DLC? That's so like 5 years ago. MadCat46

I can find a lot of things to bash Bethesda on, but they've done a pretty good job with their DLC post horse armor/player house things.

Indeed. I hope the game does well and I hope I'll eventually enjoy it as much I did with Morrowind. I have to go back to Oblivion, with the full backing of mods.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jedinat

People have different opinions than your own, news at 11.MythPro1
Some people make inane comments about inane comments that have no regard for context or reasoning and expostulate mindlessly about subjectivity, news at 11.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Because TES is just that good, it's an expected quality product.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

Skyrim is the only game I'm really looking forward to for the rest of this year.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MythPro1

[QUOTE="MythPro1"]People have different opinions than your own, news at 11.jedinat

Some people make inane comments about inane comments that have no regard for context or reasoning and expostulate mindlessly about subjectivity, news at 11.

And then there are some people who make inane comments about people who make inane comments about inane comments! They have no regard for circumstance or astute rationalizations and deprecate aimlessly about semantics, news at 11! Let the cycle commence! Dun dun dun!
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jedinat
[QUOTE="jedinat"]

[QUOTE="MythPro1"]People have different opinions than your own, news at 11.MythPro1

And then there are some people who make inane comments about people who make inane comments about inane comments! They have no regard for circumstance or astute rationalizations and deprecate aimlessly about semantics, news at 11! Let the cycle commence! Dun dun dun!

And then there are others who side-step the endless cycle by using a blunt weapon to smash slashing skeletons to tiny bits. They are really cool guys.
Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Former_Slacker

[QUOTE="MythPro1"][QUOTE="jedinat"] Some people make inane comments about inane comments that have no regard for context or reasoning and expostulate mindlessly about subjectivity, news at 11.

jedinat

And then there are others who side-step the endless cycle by using a blunt weapon to smash slashing skeletons to tiny bits. They are really cool guys.

Which is pretty much all skyrim will amount to. Plots? Non-linear quests? Choices? Who needs those when you can smash all of the skeletons you want!

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bussinrounds

[QUOTE="jedinat"][QUOTE="MythPro1"] And then there are some people who make inane comments about people who make inane comments about inane comments! They have no regard for circumstance or astute rationalizations and deprecate aimlessly about semantics, news at 11! Let the cycle commence! Dun dun dun!Former_Slacker

Which is pretty much all skyrim will amount to. Plots? Non-linear quests? Choices? Who needs those when you can smash all of the skeletons you want!

And smash them in totally mindless and non reactive combat, none the less.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#41 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
From someone who loves the Elder Scrolls series, especially Morrowind, I cant wait.
Humorguy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#42 Humorguy_basic
Member since 2002 • 2342 Posts

Anybody (like the OP) that calls Skyrim an "Action-RPG" are obviously not RPG'er's! I always want to ask of people that call Fallout 3, NV, Oblivion and Skyrim "Action-RPG's" what game would they just call an "RPG"? Presumably one that had no action at all! Then i'd ask them what RPG has not had action in it - because they all have - from Ultima 1 to Baldur's Gate to Morrowind!!!

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KHAndAnime

Anybody (like the OP) that calls Skyrim an "Action-RPG" are obviously not RPG'er's! I always want to ask of people that call Fallout 3, NV, Oblivion and Skyrim "Action-RPG's" what game would they just call an "RPG"? Presumably one that had no action at all! Then i'd ask them what RPG has not had action in it - because they all have - from Ultima 1 to Baldur's Gate to Morrowind!!!

Humorguy_basic
Action RPGs are action-centric, obviously. It places the action above other elements in the game.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
action-RPG's are where the RPG elements are just background noise and its mainly about the action.
Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
[QUOTE="MadCat46"][QUOTE="MythPro1"]I can't wait to pay money for horse armor DLC!MythPro1

They confirmed that Skyrim won`t have an arena, maybe they`re saving it for a DLC?
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bussinrounds

Humorguy_basic

LOL. They are action rpgs because the gamplay is based on the timing of your button presses and twitch skills. WTF is so hard to understand about that ? As opposed to a true rpg, which is based on the original rpg, and comes down to dice rolls, stats and tactics.

As far as that first sentence goes, I've probably been playing rpgs before you were even born.

Geosisnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Geosisnl
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts

Well so far the little information I've gathered leads me to believe it's going to be a good title. I was a great fan of Morrowind and had my fun moments in Oblivion ( even though it wasn't even close to the level of fun/immersion that Morrowind offered ) and I have no reason to think they're gonna screw up this part. If anything, I think it can be their best entry in the series if they combine the good things from previous games without the flaws. Now, knowing Bethesda, it's likely that the game will be fairly unplayable at release and the first week after, but maybe that won't be the case either, who knows. I wouldn't mind if the quality is higher than Oblivion.

The things I hated most about Oblivion was it's flat and uninspirational map design, auto scaling and stale combat/graphics/interactions. It seems almost all of those things get worked out except for the scaling apparantly, which is not the biggest problem if the rest is of good quality. I do hope they hire a lot more voice actors because it got tiresome listening to the same orc with 50+ faces. Might just be the supressed fanboy in me but honestly, I just can't see this game fail.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#48 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11793 Posts

I plan on getting it, but not at release. I will get it during one of Steams sales for around $20-$25.

JW-toch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JW-toch
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

I almost didn't read any information about Skyrim, so I won't spoil anything of the game, and I still pre-ordered. Nice.

lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

The name Elder Scrolls enough to make me buy it, let alone all the screen shots and game play footage I've seen.