No beep sound, screen shows nothing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

holy-rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 holy-rob
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I take out my CPU chip smear cooling paste on it
put on the CPU cooler and CPU fan back

try to start PC, the start sound doesn't come and the screen is all black

I reset BIOS with CMOS...nothing

I remove the battery, but it back in...NOTHING

HELP ME!!!

Axecident

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Axecident
Member since 2006 • 1778 Posts
thats why I stick with buying cpu combos so you don't have to worry about thoes stuff.
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts
thats why I stick with buying cpu combos so you don't have to worry about thoes stuff.Axecident
What? That makes no sense. Anyways, to the OP. it sounds like you static shocked your board. What about trying swapping out old components (if possible) in and out.
Rhubarb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rhubarb9
Member since 2006 • 2352 Posts

I take out my CPU chip smear cooling paste on it
put on the CPU cooler and CPU fan back

try to start PC, the start sound doesn't come and the screen is all black

I reset BIOS with CMOS...nothing

I remove the battery, but it back in...NOTHING

HELP ME!!!

holy-rob
strange, even if the CPU chippy broke or is removed you still hear the beep startup sound so maybe its not the proccessor
ulillillia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 ulillillia
Member since 2006 • 685 Posts
I recently (about 1 1/2 months ago) had this occur, and it occurred without messing with any of the hardware for months (except for a monitor replacement, but that's external rather than internal).  I brought my computer in to a computer repair service.  I was told that it had something to do with the heat sink.  Try reseating your heatsink/processor.
Axecident

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Axecident
Member since 2006 • 1778 Posts
[QUOTE="Axecident"]thats why I stick with buying cpu combos so you don't have to worry about thoes stuff.9mmSpliff
What? That makes no sense. Anyways, to the OP. it sounds like you static shocked your board. What about trying swapping out old components (if possible) in and out.

makes no sense??? lol your just saying that cuz you like to put stuff together by your self.
holy-rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 holy-rob
How do I reseat it?
I recently (about 1 1/2 months ago) had this occur, and it occurred without messing with any of the hardware for months (except for a monitor replacement, but that's external rather than internal).  I brought my computer in to a computer repair service.  I was told that it had something to do with the heat sink.  Try reseating your heatsink/processor.
ulillillia
how do I reseat it? you can only put it in one position :/
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I had this problem and I was told it was a corrupt hard disk :(
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts
[QUOTE="9mmSpliff"][QUOTE="Axecident"]thats why I stick with buying cpu combos so you don't have to worry about thoes stuff.Axecident

makes no sense??? lol your just saying that cuz you like to put stuff together by your self.

Well you put everything together too except for the combo LOL?
riznitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 riznitch
Member since 2003 • 36 Posts
did you remove the processor? If you did you need to make sure that the number one pin is in the right place. usually it is marked with an arrow of some sort. make sure that the the heat sink is plugged into the mother board. need more description of what you really did to give you an answer.
holy-rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 holy-rob
I don't now how much more detail I can get :/ I take out the fan,sink and processor, smear cooling paste on processors backside put the processor in so the pins match. then sink and fan exactly like before and then no beep sound or BIOS screen, just black at boot up
riznitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 riznitch
Member since 2003 • 36 Posts
i would take the heat sink off and clean it up, along with CPU. when you say smear im thinking that is alot. you only need to place a pea size amount on the CPU and then place the heat sink back on.
holy-rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 holy-rob
i would take the heat sink off and clean it up, along with CPU. when you say smear im thinking that is alot. you only need to place a pea size amount on the CPU and then place the heat sink back on.riznitch
no no just the thinnest layer :( but thing is, even without the CPU intact the PC should beep at go to BIOS, right?
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts
[QUOTE="riznitch"]i would take the heat sink off and clean it up, along with CPU. when you say smear im thinking that is alot. you only need to place a pea size amount on the CPU and then place the heat sink back on.holy-rob
no no just the thinnest layer :( but thing is, even without the CPU intact the PC should beep at go to BIOS, right?

It won't beep or boot without a CPU installed.

I would take it out again, get yourself 90% or greater rubbing alcohol and clean the top of the processor off as well as the bottom of the heatsink. Then apply a very thin layer of your thermal paste onto the top of the process, seat it in the socket and then attach the HSF.

If you put too much paste on you can cause shorts or damage to the processor.

Also is this a new build?
holy-rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 holy-rob

[QUOTE="holy-rob"][QUOTE="riznitch"]i would take the heat sink off and clean it up, along with CPU. when you say smear im thinking that is alot. you only need to place a pea size amount on the CPU and then place the heat sink back on.Krall

I would take it out again, get yourself 90% or greater rubbing alcohol and clean the top of the processor off as well as the bottom of the heatsink. Then apply a very thin layer of your thermal paste onto the top of the process, seat it in the socket and then attach the HSF.

nope 2 years old

that thermal paste is as thin as I could possible do... maybe I should scrub it off completely?

EDIT - I should add that i accidentally bent alot of pins trying to take off the processor from the heat sink as the old thermal paste had kinda glued the 2 together....I bent them all back to perfection except 1 pin that is slightly bended in the middle, it still fits the socket but...

am I screwed?

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

[QUOTE="Krall"][QUOTE="holy-rob"][QUOTE="riznitch"]i would take the heat sink off and clean it up, along with CPU. when you say smear im thinking that is alot. you only need to place a pea size amount on the CPU and then place the heat sink back on.holy-rob

nope 2 years old

that thermal paste is as thin as I could possible do... maybe I should scrub it off completely?

EDIT - I should add that i accidentally bent alot of pins trying to take off the processor from the heat sink as the old thermal paste had kinda glued the 2 together....I bent them all back to perfection except 1 pin that is slightly bended in the middle, it still fits the socket but...

am I screwed?

omg... you only mention this two days after your initial post?
Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
Lol. Buy a new processor...
holy-rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 holy-rob
[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"] omg... you only mention this two days after your initial post?

well so what if they've been bent you can just bend them back they are just pieces of metal! guess I i'll buy a new more powerful CPU then :'(
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
[QUOTE="holy-rob"][QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"] omg... you only mention this two days after your initial post?

well so what if they've been bent you can just bend them back they are just pieces of metal! guess I i'll buy a new more powerful CPU then :'(

Well I've bent pins and corrected them before as well, but I think that was a key piece of information that you were leaving out :) You say one is still bent. Can you try and fix that one? It is quite possible that the CPU is simply not seating correctly since the pins were bent... it might not be garbage.
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts
lol yeah that's a crucial piece of info to leave out. You'd make a good criminal lawer :D

First things first, remove all the old thermal paste and pad if it's still there. It's very possible that you got some paste where it should go and it almost sounds like you put paste on top of paste. Clean it and reapply it.

Pins, well yes you can bend them back, but the important part is that they are not lose where they connect to the chip itself. If that connection is sketchy then you're SOS. If the pins are straight enough to fit into the socket you *should* be okay.
holy-rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 holy-rob
I'll remove all paste then reapply and try to get that last pin as straight as possible otherwise if it doesn't work I'll move on I want to say thank you all very much

UPDATE - the bent pin fell off after a session of wiggling
may that CPU rest in peace.
muppet1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 muppet1010
Member since 2006 • 5812 Posts
ROFL^^
Rhubarb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rhubarb9
Member since 2006 • 2352 Posts
aw :'/
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
I'll remove all paste then reapply and try to get that last pin as straight as possible otherwise if it doesn't work I'll move on I want to say thank you all very much

UPDATE - the bent pin fell off after a session of wiggling
may that CPU rest in peace.holy-rob
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Gregoroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gregoroth
Member since 2005 • 2552 Posts
You live and learn...