GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I rarely love Dark Souls type of games because I rage quit them too quickly.

I've quit DS3 on the very first boss fight, other gems like The Surge which brought a new theme to the genre and Nioh I found more appealing to me rather than the dark bitter theme of Dark Souls games.

I found out Nioh a better game because of it's more agile as much as Bloodborne, it got voice acting and more logical story which IMO better then the mysterious story telling of Dark Souls.

The game got stances just like in Star Wars Jedi Academy: low, mid and high - which brings new fighting moves and makes either more damage or faster attacks.

Got skills to unlock, each weapon got it's own mastery to be more effective using it.

Enemies act like players where they've got stamina to use, you can exhaust them by attacking or wait till they do it themselves by attacking you, you've got challenges to fight more hard enemies if you choose to and get the chance to get a better equipment, you fight demons as well, you've got super moves.

Has anyone got their hands on this game?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Haven't played it yet. Lords of the Fallen is another one worth playing.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GeryGo  Moderator

@BassMan said:

Haven't played it yet. Lords of the Fallen is another one worth playing.

Played that too for some time, was too clone type of game for me - it felt just as Dark Souls to me with no major changes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

Noih is awesome, plays like ninja gaiden. I am having more fun with it then I have had with and dark souls game.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Howmakewood  Online
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Nioh combat dwarfs that of souls game(yes even bloodborne), it's just a bit repetitive(lack of monster variety/same zones used over again), but man is it a blast to play. I played it on ps4 and now picked it up again on PC and doing the DLC's. Highly recommended.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@PredatorRules: I played Nioh at my friend's house and I really want to get the game. If you are looking for a game that isn't challenging then I would look else where because Nioh is a very difficult game. I would definitely say that it is just as hard as Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3, but as of right now I wouldn't say it is better than either of those games because it is important to note that Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne are games that have been tweaked and damn near perfected.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Howmakewood  Online

@mighty-lu-bu: yet all souls games have their own weaknesses, some done better in other parts of the series

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#8  Edited By lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@PredatorRules:

@Advid-Gamer said:

Noih is awesome, plays like ninja gaiden. I am having more fun with it then I have had with and dark souls game.

I'm playing both Scholar of the first Sin and Nioh, and I have to say, while I love the Dark Souls series in general, Nioh is kicking all sorts of ass.

The combat is great, the visuals are good and the story / atmosphere is wonderful.

I guess what I'm trying to say here, Team Ninja can seek me out and make love to me all night ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

@lucidique: it's basically a souls game with better combat depth and random loot. It's a welcome change.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@Advid-Gamer said:

@lucidique: it's basically a souls game with better combat depth and random loot. It's a welcome change.

Indeed a welcome change, not only that the use with ranged weapons isn't a burden anymore, with a controller it's LT on the fly, while on DS games you'll have to change weapon everytime you want to use ranged damage! it's much more dynamic.

Right now doing a ninja build, going all the way with dex.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#11 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@Advid-Gamer said:

Yeah pretty much, and I think for anybody who has gone trough the Souls / Bloodborne games, this is going to be a refreshing change of pace.

Still, praise the sun!

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@PredatorRules: I've had Nioh for the past year on PS4. It's really good, about on par with Dark Souls. It's better in some ways and worse in others. Bloodborne however is far superior to Nioh in nearly every single possible way imo.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Howmakewood  Online

@saintsatan said:

@PredatorRules: I've had Nioh for the past year on PS4. It's really good, about on par with Dark Souls. It's better in some ways and worse in others. Bloodborne however is far superior to Nioh in nearly every single possible way imo.

except performance and combat

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#14 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I still need to try this and Bloodborne

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

is it OK with KB and Mouse? Or did they just straight port it with little to no consideration?

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

i couldnt get into the nioh demo. Kept dying over and over again until I just gave up. Suprise you rage quit on dark souls though

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SaintSatan

@mrbojangles25 said:

is it OK with KB and Mouse? Or did they just straight port it with little to no consideration?

You don't want to use a mouse and keyboard for any Souls-like game, period.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrbojangles25

@saintsatan said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Fair enough. I guess what I was asking is this: is the Nioh port a half-assed job like Dark Souls I-III was, i.e. pretty much absent support for mouse and keyboard, a lack of keyboard option (even though keyboard does work, technically-but-not-practically speaking)?

Or is it a decent port, with support for PC?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GeryGo  Moderator

@saintsatan said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Agreed, there're some games you don't want to play without a controller because of how the UI is build just like in DA: Inq.

You could say it's ported badly because they didn't change the UI, but on the other hand you'll have to say all racing games ported badly as well because you can't deliver analog controller to keyboard+mouse

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mrbojangles25

@PredatorRules said:
@saintsatan said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Agreed, there're some games you don't want to play without a controller because of how the UI is build just like in DA: Inq.

You could say it's ported badly because they didn't change the UI, but on the other hand you'll have to say all racing games ported badly as well because you can't deliver analog controller to keyboard+mouse

Fair enough, but most games will still at least try when they port. They'll say "hit A and D to steer left and right" and so forth, they will at the very least acknowledge that they are on a different platform and make an attempt to adapt; the poor controls I would argue are more inherant to the genre/gameplay than from lack of effort during the port.

Conversely, Dark Souls made no attempt: there were no indicators or tutorials for keyboard, it's been a while, but I think even the option for mouse was absent or somehow screwed up. I mean I bought Dark Souls 3 not too long ago and I literally had to trial-and-error my way through the controls, pressing each key on the keyboard to see what it did :P

So, what I am asking is this: did Nioh at least make an attempt, or not?

*I know these games are "better" (prefered) with a controller, and yes, I do own a controller (two, actually). I'm not even arguing for or against that, I'm just asking if they made an attempt when porting.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Howmakewood  Online

@mrbojangles25: Nioh does not support Mouse at all, only way to play with kb+mouse is through 3rd party tools, basically emulating a controller

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mrbojangles25

@howmakewood said:

@mrbojangles25: Nioh does not support Mouse at all, only way to play with kb+mouse is through 3rd party tools, basically emulating a controller

thank you very much!

I think I will still buy it, I need to delve into different genres and Nioh/Dark Souls/etc is a genre I don't play much of.

Steam Controller or Xbox (PC) controller? Hmmmm

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@mrbojangles25 said:
@PredatorRules said:
@saintsatan said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Fair enough, but most games will still at least try when they port. They'll say "hit A and D to steer left and right" and so forth, they will at the very least acknowledge that they are on a different platform and make an attempt to adapt; the poor controls I would argue are more inherant to the genre/gameplay than from lack of effort during the port.

Conversely, Dark Souls made no attempt: there were no indicators or tutorials for keyboard, it's been a while, but I think even the option for mouse was absent or somehow screwed up. I mean I bought Dark Souls 3 not too long ago and I literally had to trial-and-error my way through the controls, pressing each key on the keyboard to see what it did :P

So, what I am asking is this: did Nioh at least make an attempt, or not?

*I know these games are "better" (prefered) with a controller, and yes, I do own a controller (two, actually). I'm not even arguing for or against that, I'm just asking if they made an attempt when porting.

Yes, in Nioh tutorial you get instructions on what keys to press, but you do not have mouse control so I would say yes it's ported badly.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#25 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Nioh is fantastic, one of the best games of 2017. its combat is so damn tight.

I think I overall liked a couple of the Dark Souls games better because of the awesome world design, enemy/environmental variety, but Nioh is damn close.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaintSatan

@mrbojangles25: Xbox controller by far.