This topic is locked from further discussion.

dcno07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 dcno07
Member since 2002 • 2858 Posts

i just installed a "clean" 32bit windows vista on my computer, and im tryin to download all my drivers.

i have a ASUS p5b delux motherboard and im kinda confused on what driver to download. their is a non IDE one and one more.. im just not sure what IDE stands for... anyone know?

also what directx download will i need? i have no directx on my computer so will downloading the 2007 febuary update be ok? or do i have to install something else and then install that update?

sorry if that doesnt make sence, im just gettin really frustrated with vista... hope you guys understand.. lol

dcno07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 dcno07
Member since 2002 • 2858 Posts

to be more specific about the motherboard drivers, the two i am tryin to decide between are

"RAID_NonIDE_JMicron_JMB36X11781_Vista.zip"

or

"RAID_JMicronJMB36X11764_Vista.zip"

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

IDE an older connector that motherboards use to connect to your hard-drive. The newer version (well in a sense anyway) is SATA, which most hard-drives have now-days.

The most accurate way to check whether or not you are using a IDE Hard-Disk is to go into Device Manager (I'm refering to XP here, but it should be similar for Vista) by right-clicking on My Computer, the go to the Hardware tab, and then click on Device Manager.

Then once you are in there, go to view-Devices by Connection. Now find the IDE Controller (they are normally called Ultra ATA Storage Controllers) and see if there are any hard-drives under the IDE Channels. If there aren't, then you should be using SATA Drives.

If you need clarafication, just post back here.

Oh and you will already have Direct X, it comes preinstalled AFAIK (to check, type in Dxdiag into the run box), just put on the update. Hope this helps.