This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nepherate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nepherate
Member since 2003 • 881 Posts

With all of the WWII, Modern, Fantasy and Futuristic games being developed abroad...

Anyone interested in a good WWI game?

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
a WW1 rpg would be cool where u walk along the trenches and meet different ppl etc then you have huge battles and have to attend the morning watch etc, would be cool...
jlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jlucpicard
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

I recently watched A Very Long Engagement (fantastic french movie!) and The Lost Battalion, both WW1 movies, both excellent, and thought the same thing...this is an ignored period that I would love to be immersed in.

I also think there should be more games recognizing the brutal pacific theater of WW2.

peeviness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 peeviness
Member since 2004 • 2023 Posts

Mission objective: Stay in the trenches for 3 years and hunt rats for food.

Bonus objectives: Keep your feet dry.

Don't get killed by a machine gun.

Javaguychronox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Javaguychronox
Member since 2007 • 175 Posts

I have often thought that WWI should be in a game. If done well enough to convey the horror of it all. I think the problem is that most of the time the troops were just sitting around, dealing with boredom, rats, flooded trenches and illness. It could be hard making a game about that. WWI doesnt lend itself very well to the individual either. Chances were you would be machine gunned while charging across no mans land.

edit: Damn, peeviness, you posted just as I did, saying the same thing in fewer words :)

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I wouldn't mind a good WWI combat flight sim, just for a change. Too bad most of those are from the 1990s. I'd also like to see the Korean War covered a bit more. There were fighter jets, but they still relied on guns for combat rather than homing missiles, making it sort of like WWII dogfighting at break-neck speeds. Too bad that the MIG Alley demo runs like crap on my legacy PC and doesn't work well at all on newer systems. (As far as FPSs go, I think Bioshock and Crysis will keep me satiated.)
gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts

I have often thought that WWI should be in a game. If done well enough to convey the horror of it all. I think the problem is that most of the time the troops were just sitting around, dealing with boredom, rats, flooded trenches and illness. It could be hard making a game about that. WWI doesnt lend itself very well to the individual either. Chances were you would be machine gunned while charging across no mans land.

edit: Damn, peeviness, you posted just as I did, saying the same thing in fewer words :)

Javaguychronox

WW2 was very similer in the fact they sat around alot it just wasnt in trenches. 

jlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jlucpicard

I think with a little creativity it could be done and done in a fun way. Perhaps missions behind the lines and not just trench battles.

Games and movies would make it seem like WW2 was over 5 years of non-stop action, but the majority of the time there was a whole lot of nothing going on, especially from the perspective of the infantry soldier. Most battles occurred in short bursts, particularly in Europe. The main difference is that the fronts tended to move one way or the other, while the WW1 lines were fairly static, but no less intense when the madness started.

jlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jlucpicard

Just found this. Time travel game that goes through 5 periods including WW1 and the (not so)Civil War

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=15626

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
Not really because nothing really happened in WWI, except that alot of people died for no reason. It would be really cool if they made kind of like an alternate version of WWI, like what would have happened if the war didn't take the trensh direction.