New consoles are out. Pc graphics king on the horizon?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts

I've been out of the gaming scene for a while but just curious. Idk how young some of the users on here are but back at the beginning of last gen it was pretty obvious and there was a big consensus when ever the next big graphics king shooter game came out. Now adays with console ports making up most pc games I've played nothing that wowed me since Crysis 1, and slightly BF3.

Back then it went HL2, which got overtaken by FEAR. And then after that it was Crysis. And since then every big fps game has had lots of debate. I still don't think anything has surpassed a modded Crysis in tech terms and alot of people agree with me.

C2 and C3 were low texture having, static environment filled console ports so anyone that cites them loses. Bf3 and 4 are pretty damn impressive. and idk if bf4 is enough for me to upgrade right now.

So now that we have new consoles is there any pc specific game in development that is widely agreed upon to be the next step in technology?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Do you play games for fun and because they are good or because they are a step in technology and/or pretty?

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Do you play games for fun and because they are good or because they are a step in technology and/or pretty?

Cod Ghost is already graphics king :wink:

blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts

@FelipeInside: more for fun obviously but everything has been the same for the past few years. Nothing has advanced in anyway whether tech or innovative gameplay.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@blues35301 said:

@FelipeInside: more for fun obviously but everything has been the same for the past few years. Nothing has advanced in anyway whether tech or innovative gameplay.

Well I beg to differ.

Problem is I see you're mostly an FPS player, which is where graphics have been pushed more than gameplay in the last few years.

Innovation isn't always good anyway. Sometimes it's better to improve on something that exists instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

The source engine is where my obsession with graphics started. I still stare at the walls in de_dust in amazement

LeftClick007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 LeftClick007
Member since 2013 • 77 Posts

I was curious about this the other day and I saw these videos, Just a quick glimpse, not really in depth but it shows how far we've come as far as fidelity.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

For the next years I think we are just going to see increases in other things like physics, cloth simulation, weather, destruction, tessellation, better textures, smoother animations, effects, etc, but the overall look wont be too far from the best looking shooters of today Crysis/KZ/BF series

As far as dramatic shader changes I don't see it happening this generation. I think the next big jump will be something like this.I have no idea how far we are from that though.

Loading Video...

I personally want to see more creativiity from level designers and art directors. Rage and Bioshock Infinite have had my favorite art style of any recent games.

LeftClick007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 LeftClick007
Member since 2013 • 77 Posts

I forgot to add that there are these guys,

http://www.euclideon.com/

they supposedly have technology that can render an unlimited amount of data points.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Don't know how legit it is though, but I know they expressed interest in the games industry.