Hashim19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Hashim19
Member since 2007 • 1324 Posts

Guys, i have purchased 1200va UPS for my gaming system. Is it good enough for my rig ? kindly note that i have plugged both PC cable and LED to UPS connector.

My rigs : Rx 570 4GB : Motherboard H410 - I5 9400 F processor

: PSU 550Gold Series : 16 GB DDR4 RAM.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Well a 1200VA UPS should be able to handle about 800W peak power (including monitors and whatever else you have hooked up to it).

Since you system has a 550W PSU, I'd say you should be good with that UPS. I doubt your PC gets over 300W. It's good to have some headroom for your UPS tho. It will last longer on battery and be able to sustain power even at peak loads.

You only need your PC and your monitor hooked up to the battery, since that's all you need to shut it down safely in the event of a power loss. It's also a good idea to have low powered, sensitive things like a modem/router on battery. Things like powered speakers don't need to be on battery and can be hooked up to the surge-protection outlets.

Once you have the battery charged a great way to test it out is to unplug the UPS from the wall and see if everything stays on.

I'm curious what brand/model of UPS you purchased.

Hashim19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Hashim19
Member since 2007 • 1324 Posts

@pyro1245: Thank you so much :) Really apricated

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@Hashim19 said:

@pyro1245: Thank you so much :) Really apricated

No problem! I buy a lot of UPS for work and home 😁

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

just curious, what motivated you to purchase a ups for a pc used for gaming? what loss of data are you concerned about on a power outage?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts
@comp_atkins said:

just curious, what motivated you to purchase a ups for a pc used for gaming? what loss of data are you concerned about on a power outage?

UPS isn't just to prevent data loss, if you have a lot of electrical outages in your house it'll prevent your hardware safer this way from dying. It's one thing to turn off and on intentionally your PC but it's another thing when all of a sudden electric power ends.

Sure there's capacitors protection from electric surge on the MOBO but even with that you CPU, RAM, GPU or HDD/SSD could die. If you have a very expensive PC rig it's recommended to have sort of insurance, because warranty won't cover if they'll investigate and conclude it's from electrical surge.

I use electrical surge appliance for my PC power socket, it's not as good as UPS but it's way cheaper and it's better than having no protection at all.