Need urgent help with Operating System.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for gibson-les-rick
gibson-les-rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gibson-les-rick
Member since 2007 • 798 Posts

I currently have a Windows 8 pro upgrade running. I hate it for it's compatability issues i'm having with everything. So here is what I did,

I done a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro on my other HDD.

As you probably have guessed it has nothing no drivers or nothing.

The thing I want to know is there any way I can copy everything from my Windows 8 HDD to the Windows 7 installation.

Thanks

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

What I am thinking is setting your Windows 8 HDD as a slave to your WIndows 7 HDD. Once you complete your drivers on the 7 HDD then proceed with the transfers and then format the 8 HDD.

woomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#3 woomar
Member since 2008 • 172 Posts

So you installed win8 on HDD and win7 on the other and two of them are connected at the same time (and most likely they use SATA connection *SATA connection doesn't need primary/slave* ) that said ,, what is the problem here ?? when you boot to win7 , win8's HDD should be visibile and viceversa ! .

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Even if you copy everything from one drive to the other, the drivers won't transfer. Even if they did, they wouldn't work because you are using a different operating system. I would download the drivers from the manufacturer's website and then try to transfer everything like Arthas said. It would be an even easier transfer if you had some sort of external hdd or thumbdrive to move files.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Windows Update worked fine for me when installing drivers for Windows 7. I didn't even have to use the CD that came with my motherboard. Windows 7 downloaded more up to date drivers.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Windows Update worked fine for me when installing drivers for Windows 7. I didn't even have to use the CD that came with my motherboard. Windows 7 downloaded more up to date drivers.

That's what I figured it did. If I remember right, most of my drivers downloaded automatically once I got my internet going.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@gibson-les-rick said:

I currently have a Windows 8 pro upgrade running. I hate it for it's compatability issues i'm having with everything. So here is what I did,

I done a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro on my other HDD.

As you probably have guessed it has nothing no drivers or nothing.

The thing I want to know is there any way I can copy everything from my Windows 8 HDD to the Windows 7 installation.

Thanks

Only things you can copy is DATA (music, photos, files (documents), etc).

Programs you need to install from scratch from where you originally got them.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

type the models numbers of yo shizzle into google, download the drivers fresh and install them fresh.

transferring drivers inter-machine ... that would be far far slower and more cumbersome and would not guarantee success.

Yours sincerely, CrownKingArthur.

PS - I like Gibson guitars.