My new Blu-Ray player doesn't play videos in my USB stick.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

orrytur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 orrytur
Member since 2004 • 1682 Posts

Hi, I just bought a new Blu-Ray player(Samsung BD-P1600) yesterday. Everythings fine, we watched a movie that came with it last night on my 1080p samsung HDTV and really loved the quality. Now, today I added some 1080p videos in my USB stick which are mixed with Mpeg4(mp4)'s and with some WMV type of video. For some reason, when I go in the ''videos'' section it doesn't see anything at all, I've updated the firmware of the player to the latest version but it didn't help. Please help Thanks.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
does ur blu-ray player says it plays mp4 or wmv files?
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

Hi, I just bought a new Blu-Ray player(Samsung BD-P1600) yesterday. Everythings fine, we watched a movie that came with it last night on my 1080p samsung HDTV and really loved the quality. Now, today I added some 1080p videos in my USB stick which are mixed with Mpeg4(mp4)'s and with some WMV type of video. For some reason, when I go in the ''videos'' section it doesn't see anything at all, I've updated the firmware of the player to the latest version but it didn't help. Please help Thanks.

orrytur
you should have got the greatest BR player on the market today because it reads flash drives just fine(ps3)
cowgriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cowgriller
Member since 2008 • 3153 Posts

@orrytur

the usb port on the bd player you have is only usb 1.1. furthermore, it does not playback videos or jpegs. it's a memory expansion slot that. you plug in a usb key (recommended 1GB or more) into the usb port and you're then allowed to use bd-live (blu-ray internet for certain movies). only the samsung bd-p3600 and bd-p4600 allow you to playback video files from the usb port.

orrytur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 orrytur

@orrytur

the usb port on the bd player you have is only usb 1.1. furthermore, it does not playback videos or jpegs. it's a memory expansion slot that. you plug in a usb key (recommended 1GB or more) into the usb port and you're then allowed to use bd-live (blu-ray internet for certain movies). only the samsung bd-p3600 and bd-p4600 allow you to playback video files from the usb port.

cowgriller

No, it has USB ports of 2.0 and I can play songs and open jpeg pictures,etc. Look in the Samsung site http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players/BD-P1600/XAC/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mike4realz

[QUOTE="cowgriller"]

@orrytur

orrytur

No, it has USB ports of 2.0 and I can play songs and open jpeg pictures,etc. Look in the Samsung site http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players/BD-P1600/XAC/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

nope ur blu-ray playa don't play mp4's or wmv files
orrytur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 orrytur
[QUOTE="orrytur"]

[QUOTE="cowgriller"]

@orrytur

mike4realz

How can you tell and what kind of videos can it read in the usb drive?
mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mike4realz

[QUOTE="mike4realz"][QUOTE="orrytur"]No, it has USB ports of 2.0 and I can play songs and open jpeg pictures,etc. Look in the Samsung site http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players/BD-P1600/XAC/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

orrytur

click specifications>full spec...it tells you which videos it can play VC-1, MPEG2, H.264, HD JPEG, and MP3

no WMA/WMV or Divx

orrytur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 orrytur

[QUOTE="orrytur"][QUOTE="mike4realz"] nope ur blu-ray playa don't play mp4's or wmv filesmike4realz

click specifications>full spec...it tells you which videos it can play VC-1, MPEG2, H.264, HD JPEG, and MP3

no WMA/WMV or Divx

isnt h.264 = mpeg4, mp4?
orrytur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 orrytur
Ok, I just converted the videos to mpeg2 and ''h.264'' and it still doesn't work. I mean there's got to be one type of video it can play!
cowgriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cowgriller

[QUOTE="cowgriller"]

@orrytur

orrytur

no. it doesn't have a usb 2.0 port according to samsung themselves. here's the question you're asking about from the FAQ's section of samsung's support site:

Blu-ray Disc Players : My BD-P1600 Does Not Stream Videos From A USB Thumb Drive, Why?

The BD-P1600 does not support USB 2.0 which is needed to playback movie files from a USB thumb drive. Consequently the BD-P1600 will not stream videos from a USB thumb drive.

MKV and MP4 video files must be burned to a CD/DVD/BD disc for playback.

The BD-P4600 and BD-P3600 are the only current Blu-ray models capable of movie playback via a USB thumb drive.Samsung

there's your answer. you can't play videos from the usb port regardless the format. and to the other guy talking about formats, thse are the formats that can be read via disc only.

orrytur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 orrytur

[QUOTE="orrytur"]

[QUOTE="cowgriller"]

@orrytur

cowgriller

no. it doesn't have a usb 2.0 port according to samsung themselves. here's the question you're asking about from the FAQ's section of samsung's support site:

Blu-ray Disc Players : My BD-P1600 Does Not Stream Videos From A USB Thumb Drive, Why?

The BD-P1600 does not support USB 2.0 which is needed to playback movie files from a USB thumb drive. Consequently the BD-P1600 will not stream videos from a USB thumb drive.

The BD-P4600 and BD-P3600 are the only current Blu-ray models capable of movie playback via a USB thumb drive.Samsung

there's your answer. you can't play videos from the usb port regardless the format. and to the other guy talking about formats, thse are the formats that can be read via disc only.

Ok, I still got 2 questions...

1) If this blu ray doesnt support usb 2.0 then why in the Samsung page it says :

USB 2.0All SAMSUNG blu-ray players include two USB 2.0 ports (1 front / 1 rear). These inputs enable playback of multimedia files, firmware updates, WiFi connectivity and memory support for BD Live. LINK

2) if I cant play any videos using a usb then why is there a ''video'' section in the usb menu of the bly ray player?

cowgriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cowgriller

[QUOTE="cowgriller"]

[QUOTE="orrytur"]No, it has USB ports of 2.0 and I can play songs and open jpeg pictures,etc. Look in the Samsung site http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players/BD-P1600/XAC/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

orrytur

1) If this blu ray doesnt support usb 2.0 then why in the Samsung page it says :

USB 2.0All SAMSUNG blu-ray players include two USB 2.0 ports (1 front / 1 rear). These inputs enable playback of multimedia files, firmware updates, WiFi connectivity and memory support for BD Live. LINK

2) if I cant play any videos using a usb then why is there a ''video'' section in the usb menu of the bly ray player?

that's a huge contradiction on samsungs part. i just looked over their user manual for the Canadian version (the one you linked to, not the US version that i linked to earlier) and the manual says that both USB ports could be used as storage, to play back jpegs and mp3's, update the firmware, and the port in the back can be used to attach samsung's wireless usb network adapter. it says nothing about videos. you cannot use both usb ports simultaneously.

furthermore, to add to the confusion, the manual also says that you cannot play CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or USB's that contain divx, mpg, mov or avi files.

your best bet is to call samsung on this one.

orrytur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 orrytur

[QUOTE="orrytur"]

[QUOTE="cowgriller"]

[quote="Samsung"]

The BD-P4600 and BD-P3600 are the only current Blu-ray models capable of movie playback via a USB thumb drive.cowgriller

that's a huge contradiction on samsungs part. i just looked over their user manual for the Canadian version (the one you linked to, not the US version that i linked to earlier) and the manual says that both USB ports could be used as storage, to play back jpegs and mp3's, update the firmware, and the port in the back can be used to attach samsung's wireless usb network adapter. it says nothing about videos. you cannot use both usb ports simultaneously.

furthermore, to add to the confusion, the manual also says that you cannot play CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or USB's that contain divx, mpg, mov or avi files.

your best bet is to call samsung on this one.

What? not even from DVD-R discs I cant watch any videos with it? If so, then I'm going to return this player.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mike4realz
you might want to read the manual cuz it does play dvd-r Supports a Variety of Disc Types Blu-ray (BD-ROM, BD-RE, BD-R), DVD Video, DVD-RW/-R (V mode and fi nalized only) discs and Audio CD. CD-RW/CD-R, DVD-RW/-R and USB memory flash stick content such as MP3 and JPEG files. you should just contact samsung for answers
snowren24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 snowren24
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts

It will still play DVD-r/rw discs, but not files from them in these codecs. so if you burn a movie it will play just fine. but if you try to burn avi files, or divx files, which are common pc video formats, it will not play them.

I dont know ho wmuch you paid for it, but I would still i would take it back, it lacks a lot of features.

cowgriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cowgriller

What? not even from DVD-R discs I cant watch any videos with it? If so, then I'm going to return this player.orrytur

it plays dvd-r's but only AVC HD, H.264 and VC-1 codecs.

orrytur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 orrytur
Alright, I'll return this player and I'll get a PS3 instead and I hope it can play the formats that I want.
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
Alright, I'll return this player and I'll get a PS3 instead and I hope it can play the formats that I want.orrytur
Smart move.