• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trashedteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 trashedteen
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Hey guys, my names John and for as long as I can remember I have always dreamed of owning a killer rig, I used to sit there for hours on notepad, looking up reviews of the latest hardware and building the rig in my head.

Finally I have the money to build my dream and I'd like to share it with you guys to see what you think.

- GPU - x3 BFG GeForce GTX 280 H2OC
- CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9775 3.2Ghz (OC?)
- RAM - (2000Mhz) 8Gb DDR3 Dominator 2000C9DF Twin3X
- PSU - Thermaltake ToughPower 1200W
- HDDs - X2 OCZ Core V2 250GB 2.5" SATA-II (Raid 0)
- MOBO - Asus Striker II Extreme nForce 790i Ultra SLi
- CASE - Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80B Aluminium Super Tower Case
- Optical - LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Rewriter & HD-DVD ROM SATA Drive
- SPEAKERS - GigaWorks S750
- AUDIO CARD - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1
- Monitor - NEC MultiSync® LCD3090WQXi 30"
- Ethernet - - KillerNIC M1 Gigabit PCI Network Adapter
- Mouse - Razer Lachesis Ice White 4000dpi High Precision Gaming Mouse
- Keyboard - Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard

And a custom water cooling set including the Zalman Reserator XT Hybrid all running on Windows Vista Ultimate SP2.

Whatya think? The only thing I can't decide on is which set of cards would run games better on 2560X1600 res, 3 of the watercooled 280GTXs(pre-OCed) or 2x 4870X2s?

I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

webstaxero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 webstaxero
Member since 2005 • 181 Posts

You'll have fun once you realize your CPU and your Mobo aren't compatible.

It's not that well planned out.

f-a-d-3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 f-a-d-3
Member since 2005 • 1001 Posts

your killer rig kills wallets for unnecessary reasons.

P.S your Motherboard is LGA775 while your CPU is 771 why do you wanna do that?

trashedteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 trashedteen
My bad, meant the 9770!
webstaxero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 webstaxero

Still looks like you just threw the most expensive parts together. Also 2x4870X2 > 3x 280 GTX.

Also about the water cooling....that has got to be the crappiest kit I have seen, around the same level as TT kits.

sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 sadikovic
Member since 2004 • 3868 Posts

Its a shame that in some games someone with only SLI'd 8800GT's and a E8600 would be on the same level of performance as that machine and they saved around £2000... :(... :P.

TriSLi and Quads aren't supported in around 90% of the current games.

trashedteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 trashedteen
I meant 9770, was just a typo
trashedteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 trashedteen

Still looks like you just threw the most expensive parts together. Also 2x4870X2 > 3x 280 GTX.

Also about the water cooling....that has got to be the crappiest kit I have seen, around the same level as TT kits.

webstaxero

That can't be justified as the h2oc model (which has much higher clock speeds) hasn't yet been pitted in tri sli against 2 4870X2s. It's my first time building a W/Ced rig and I thought this would have been the most convient option, i got advise from another forum tho so I plan to revise that.

Its a shame that in some games someone with only SLI'd 8800GT's and a E8600 would be on the same level of performance as that machine and they saved around £2000... :(... :P.

sadikovic

But they will be, whether its in a month or a year, and then those people will want to be updating to something more along the lines of what I plan to build.

sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sadikovic
Member since 2004 • 3868 Posts
[QUOTE="webstaxero"]

trashedteen

That can't be justified as the h2oc model (which has much higher clock speeds) hasn't yet been pitted in tri sli against 2 4870X2s. It's my first time building a W/Ced rig and I thought this would have been the most convient option, i got advise from another forum tho so I plan to revise that.

sadikovic

But they will be, whether its in a month or a year, and then those people will want to be updating to something more along the lines of what I plan to build.

By the time 2x8800 anything and a core 2 duo 2.6 and higher become dated (1-2years) those people could use the money that you could save if you went the same route and get a new PC with better hardware.

I have always told people to stay away from going all out when buying PC hardware for gaming simply because of the rate the industry is evolving.

That setup would last a good 4years but in 2 years you could spend half of that on a system and get twice the performance.

webstaxero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 webstaxero

trashedteen

It's not like the watercooled cards are just exponentially faster than the air cooled ones. X2s can overclock just as high and higher.

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts

waste of money. get a single 280 or 4870x2 .. and instead of getting two now which is useless, you can use ur saved money and get a new card 1-2 gens from now and end up with a bttr system. you dont need a giller ethernet card, the 780i sli and 790i have great internet capabilities.

dont need 8 gigs of ram, nor taht high quality? this is your first build.. are you going to hardcore OC that ram? if not ur wasting money

dont waste ur money on a extreme edition, get a lower model and OC it..

this is what happens when kids get money...... they want to spend all of it..

bemr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bemr
Member since 2007 • 78 Posts

Windows Vista Ultimate SP2.

trashedteen

LOL

domke13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 domke13
Member since 2006 • 2891 Posts

trashedteen

So will you when your CPU will get outdated in 1-2 months from now...

trashedteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 trashedteen

waste of money. get a single 280 or 4870x2 .. and instead of getting two now which is useless, you can use ur saved money and get a new card 1-2 gens from now and end up with a bttr system. you dont need a giller ethernet card, the 780i sli and 790i have great internet capabilities.

dont need 8 gigs of ram, nor taht high quality? this is your first build.. are you going to hardcore OC that ram? if not ur wasting money

nimatoad2000

Whoa whoa, I resent that comment. Firstly, I'm not a kid and secondly, I worked damn hard for that money. I came on these forums with an idea of what I wanted and seeking some advice, from people who probably know better than me, and you slate me for it.

Advice, thats all I'm asking for.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts
[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]

trashedteen

Whoa whoa, I resent that comment. Firstly, I'm not a kid and secondly, I worked damn hard for that money. I came on these forums with an idea of what I wanted and seeking some advice, from people who probably know better than me, and you slate me for it.

Advice, thats all I'm asking for.

But take a good advice and build a rig that save you 2-3k and last you thru 2years and save the money and get another rig then.

In 2 years your overpriced rig will be old and quite slow, better to build another rig then with the money you didn't spend now.

Who knows, maybe the GFX will be 3times as fast as by then, (maybe more) and where were we for 2 years back?, 6600GT?, GFX cards have 10times the power now.

Games will do fine with one GTX280/HD4870x2, anything more is just unneasesery if you don't want to take benchmarks records. It's all your money, but you're waisting this is my opinion.

GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts

webstaxero

wrong, after they were tested on a fully bottleneck free platform (skulltrail with tri sli support) the GTX 280's WON on all tests

[QUOTE="nimatoad2000"]

trashedteen

allright, cut the ram down to 4 gigs, ddr3 2k is overkill anyways, if u have the money, use it, get the 280's, nothin can beat them for now

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 swehunt
[QUOTE="webstaxero"]

GTR2addict

wrong, after they were tested on a fully bottleneck free platform (skulltrail with tri sli support) the GTX 280's WON on all tests

And where have you seen the skulltail in this rig? i missed that part ;)

trashedteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 trashedteen

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than willing to take advice, thats what I'm here for! It does make a lot of sense. My mentality when builing this rig was most expensive rig = fastest rig.

One thing, however, I'm not prepared to compromise on is the monitor, and therefore I need GFX enough to power it at its native res. You can't seriously say that one 280GTX is enough to power Crysis at near enough full graphics in full resolution?

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 swehunt

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than willing to take advice, thats what I'm here for! It does make a lot of sense. My mentality when builing this rig was most expensive rig = fastest rig.

One thing, however, I'm not prepared to compromise on is the monitor, and therefore I need GFX enough to power it at its native res. You can't seriously say that one 280GTX is enough to power Crysis at near enough full graphics in full resolution?

trashedteen

I belive a single HD4870x2 would give you that in most games if you don't get the AA up all the way to blurry. (ok not crysis at all but that one is not included in "most games")

With PC's the higher price is not better, the deal is to choose wisely and get the best things as cheap as you can, PC's evolve so fast that it's better to build another one after a year or so, this is much better spent money than spending at one time.

trashedteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 trashedteen

So what do you think it would take to run crysis with those settings?

Yeah your quite right, it just seems that if you do it that way you always stuck with a mediocre PC that lasts a year as opposed to a top-of-the-range pc that lasts a couple, if not more.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 swehunt

Yeah your quite right, it just seems that if you do it that way you always stuck with a mediocre PC that lasts a year as opposed to a top-of-the-range pc that lasts a couple, if not more.

trashedteen

But annyway that mediocre rig will be a LOAD better than the 4year old crappy rig, i get what you're saying but clearly no game except crysis will need more than SLi or CF settup today, this is not something hardware can make a difference, the game is just ment to be a resource hog, yes it has amacing graphics, but is that particular game worth paying 2-3k for? (that game only? )

I play crysis just fine with my rig, and it look's are amacing, even with my (in comparison) weak GPU it runs nicely at low resolution with 2xAA. I can't find a single way to justify a overpriced "ûber" rig just to play crysis, this is not about performance, this is about getting the moust expencive parts and be able to brag about it.

If you really want the absolute best wait for Nehalem CPU's at least, you're paying for the best why not get the "new" parts?

I say this because you will have more fun with 2 seperate rig's that can play all new games at full now and another one and in 2 years, instead of one that still will be outdated in 2 years.

"top-of-the-range pc" will be bottom of the range PC in a cuple years, i guess both you and me have notice that hardware evolve very fast, who knows?, in 3 years maybe we have raytrace'ing and the tri SLI will be worthless..

So the real Q is about braggi'n rigths not about performance, i'd rather go high end now and high end under a cuple years than "top-of-the-range" now and be at the bottom of the line in a cuple years.

There is no future proof when speaking about PC hardware, you don't even have the top of the line if you buy all that, Nehalem will be the top of the line.

Xjner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Xjner
Member since 2008 • 409 Posts

Lol the best rig the fastest the most expensive wtf is that crap ive had my computer for about 6 years and have only upgraded it from stock to 1gb ram and a geforce 6200(back when that card was crazy awesome) and i run the orange box just fine and do quite well in TF2 i also was able to run the Crysis demo on low at a fair framerate(just to test my comp).

Like the other guy said its not how much you go all out and waste money its choosing wise and not unloading on crap you dont need.

Thompsonwhore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Thompsonwhore
Member since 2003 • 2059 Posts

Quite honestly, this is a nice computer and all, but in one year, it'll be surpassed in performance.

Get an E8500, OC it with a Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme with your choice of 120mm fans. Get a 4870 X2 and 4GB of DDR2. That'll do just as well in performance and cost a lot less money.

Don't get the Killer NIC either, it's useless. Also, do you really need a Blu-ray drive? Are you actually going to watch Blu-ray movies?

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

Lol @ the sheer expense of it all. Build a $2000 PC and go on a dream vacation utilizing the difference in price :D

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 swehunt

Lol @ the sheer expense of it all. Build a $2000 PC and go on a dream vacation utilizing the difference in price :D

Staryoshi87

Or he could own half the stockmarket of AMD.. :P
GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts
[QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]

swehunt

Or he could own half the stockmarket of AMD.. :P

that was so dirty it could be sig worthy xD

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Technology is a b***h. I want to make that clear. We love it and it's fun and all but it changes ever so rapidly. I wouldnt settle in with a rig for more than 2-3 years, when it comes to playing all the latest games. Nehalem is coming out soon and let's not speculate, but I'm sure by next year, it will change how things work around here. What I'm saying is, I wouldn't spend more than you should. You're just throwing your money away. There's a lot of people that come through here that want the super high-end rig that barely squeezes out a bit more performance over the cheaper build. Crysis is the only game you should be concerned with. I max out EVERY game out there right now, besides Crysis with stock settings. How about that.. How bout that? Crysis wasnt even THAT great.. It was a good experience. But it's more like a one night stand, than a 20-year marriage. I wouldnt go crazy over Crysis and splurge $2-3k more than you should, while only gaining a bit more performance. I would take that money and go buy a puppy or something. Or save it in a mutual funds. Or buy a ton of games with it or and LCD HDTV. Hell, do whatever you want, but dont throw it away on a rig that you'll end up upgrading soon. There are tons of new technology on the horizon. I wouldnt settle down yet. I mean this sincerely man. Good luck and enjoy.

Btw, I commend you for working so hard to get the money. At least you work for it. See ya around.

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
lolwut...Get a nice P45/X38/X48 motherboard, HD 4870X2, 4gbs of good DDR2 ram, e8500 + good heatsink and overclock that badboy like crazy. 30' monitor? Dizamn!
Mr_NoName111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mr_NoName111
Member since 2005 • 1035 Posts

trashedteen
If you want to run crysis at high resolution/very high settings, you will need NVIDIA cards. (optimized for nvidia)
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

Aside from the other flaws already pointed out i couldnt help but LOL at the zalman water cooler. All that on a prebuilt water KIT?

Anything short of a 2 stage phase change unit would be extremely unimpressive imo.

trashedteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 trashedteen

Ok, so taking into account all thats been said, here's a new list:

- GPU - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2048MB + Water Block
- CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 LGA775 'Wolfdale' + Water Block
- RAM - OCZ 4GB PC2-9200C5 1150MHz Flex II Passive/WaterCooled Dual Channel DDR2
- PSU - Thermaltake ToughPower 850W Modular Power Supply
- HDD(s) - x2 Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-II(raid0)
- MOBO - DFI DFI-LPUTX48-T2R Intel X48
- CASE - Silverstone Temjin TJ07B-W
- OPTICAL - Asus DRW-2014L1T 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter
- NETWORKING - KillerNIC M1 Gigabit PCI Network Adapter
- OS - Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
- MOUSE - Razer Lachesis Ice White 4000dpi High Precision Gaming Mouse
- KEYBOARD - Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
- MONITOR - Samsung SM-245T 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor
- SOUND CARD - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty 7.1 Champion Series

All cooled by a custom watercooling kit. Just trying to work on it now, has anyone got any suggestion for what parts to use (pumps rads etc)? Also, is there any reason why I couldn't use 2 rads? What I intend to do is have a Y split directly from the pump, then each one of them splits going through the rad, cooling the graphics and CPU seperatly, the joining back up before they go back to the pump?

Watdya think?

Btw, I commend you for working so hard to get the money. At least you work for it. See ya around.

Elann2008

Thanks for that. Its much appreciated.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

- CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 2.40GHz + Water Block
- RAM - OCZ 4GB PC2-9200C5 1150MHz Flex II Passive/WaterCooled Dual Channel DDR2
- SOUND CARD - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty 7.1 Champion Series

All cooled by a custom watercooling kit. Just trying to work on it now, has anyone got any suggestion for what parts to use (pumps rads etc)? Also, is there any reason why I couldn't use 2 rads? What I intend to do is have a Y split directly from the pump, then each one of them splits going through the rad, cooling the graphics and CPU seperatly, the joining back up before they go back to the pump?

Watdya think?

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

trashedteen

In theory that water loop will work but it wont be optimal.

Also dont get the s750's. I had a pair and the quality was abysmal. The driver in the sub blew up after 2 months without even having sub gain turned on or going past 1/2 volume and the front channels had to have their wires resoldered within 6 months due to cracking and popping.

Also the additional volume control pod with its crappy manual upmix options that you will never use is worthless and cumbersome. They dont even sound good overall either. in 99% of the content you will listen to the 2 extra channels are wasted and to get sound in them you have to upmix which ruins the discrete nature of the other channels.

In short they sound subpar and feel like they arent well put together either. Sub is absolute trash. You cant make it actually sound deep without blowing it up.

trashedteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 trashedteen
[QUOTE="trashedteen"]

Watdya think?

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Alter_Echo

Also dont get the s750's. I had a pair and the quality was abysmal. The driver in the sub blew up after 2 months without even having sub gain turned on or going past 1/2 volume and the front channels had to have their wires resoldered within 6 months due to cracking and popping.

Also the additional volume control pod with its crappy manual upmix options that you will never use is worthless and cumbersome. They dont even sound good overall either. in 99% of the content you will listen to the 2 extra channels are wasted and to get sound in them you have to upmix which ruins the discrete nature of the other channels.

In short they sound subpar and feel like they arent well put together either. Sub is absolute trash. You cant make it actually sound deep without blowing it up.

Hmmm, have you got any recommendations? I did want to go with a 7.1 set-up for the added quality in-game but if you don't think its worth it then I won't. You think I've made the right choice on the sound card? And why would that W/C set-up not be optical, I thought with the GPU and CPU being fed seperate cooled water it would be better?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Alter_Echo"][QUOTE="trashedteen"]

Watdya think?

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

trashedteen

Hmmm, have you got any recommendations? I did want to go with a 7.1 set-up for the added quality in-game but if you don't think its worth it then I won't. You think I've made the right choice on the sound card? And why would that W/C set-up not be optical, I thought with the GPU and CPU being fed seperate cooled water it would be better?

For speakers, I would get something simple but great, like Logitech. I would stay away from BOSE. Hell, even an X-540 coupled with a dedicated 5.1 sound card, sounds fantastic.

trashedteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 trashedteen
What about the logitech z5500?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Elann2008

What about the logitech z5500?trashedteen

Those are great speakers. Money well spent.

trashedteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 trashedteen

Ok, so I've been working on the W/C system:

CPU BLOCK - D-Tek Fuzion V2 Universal CPU Block
- D-Tek Fuzion v2 Quad Core Mid-Chamber Insert
- EK LGA775 CPU Backing Plate
GPU BLOCK - EK HD 3870 X2 Full Cover VGA Water Block
SPLITS - x2 PrimoChill Barbed Y (Red) 3/8"
RES/PUMP - XSPC Dual 750 Bay Reservoir & Pump
RAD - Thermochill PA120.3 120mm Triple Radiator
COOLANT - x2 Feser One UV Reactive Coolant 1 Litre (Red)
TUBING - x2 DangerDen ClearFlex60 1m
DISPLAY - Alphacool Full Graphic LCD Display (240x128, black)

Order of flow:

RES/PUMP>RAD>PCU>GPU(s)>RES/PUMP

Does that look right to you guys? I was thinking of splitting it after the pump and feeding it into 2 seperate rads, then having each one feed the CPU and GPU seperately, then connecting back up before reaching the pump, would this work?

I've got a few questions as well:

Will the board be able to house 2 4870X2s, the soundcard and the network adapter?
Is there a waterblock for the the northbridge?
Does the PSU have enough cables to power all the hardware?
Does double/triple rad mean 2/3 rads in one?

musclesforcier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 musclesforcier
Member since 2004 • 2894 Posts

Watdya think?

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

trashedteen

That is looking much better, still very powerful but not complete overkill.

trashedteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 trashedteen

Yeah and a bit lighter on the wallet too! Anyone got any answers for them Qs I asked earlier?

_7h0m_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 _7h0m_
Member since 2007 • 873 Posts

NO! don't get a 30'' monitor it's a joke,... get a 1080p LCD TV Panel instead.

I just got this TV for 899$

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=FR&sku_id=0665000FS10099955&catid=

It's a beast in specs, and 1080p is WELL enough. It would save you half!

zxvb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 zxvb
Member since 2007 • 633 Posts

im likin the new list a lot better, but dont skimp on the sound card for your system. go with an auzentech prelude 7.1.

also buy some games to enjoy on this.

Antraxspore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 Antraxspore
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

Building ultra high end Systems, always fails unless you have the money and like throwing it away ...

I personaly just prefer to buy a high end system, aka:

- 1 of the top CPU's on the market (no extreme edition CPU's and that stuff),
- The best or 1 of the Best GPU's on the market (look at the benchmarks 1st!) I rather go for 1 single GPU, but the best 1 out there, than investing in a SLI system which only has like a 20% more performance gain....

Look at my rig (in sign) that pc is already years old, the 7900GT was 1 of the best GPU's, the Athlon 4200+ was a pretty sweet CPU 2, overall that rig wasnt that expesive and still i could pretty much max (not AA) all games as of 2007, excluding some like Crysis. This year or maybe next im planing to upgrade, getting a better GPU maybe I dont know.

In my opinion, bringing your PC constantly up to date is better, than investing over 3k $ on a killer rig and then regreting it when after 2years a new technology arrives at the market .... which for 1/4 of the price you payed outperforms your killer rig ...

spektor_21000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 spektor_21000
Member since 2005 • 409 Posts

Watdya think?

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

trashedteen

Now this is much better, the first one was overkill and a waste of money.

AMitch24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 AMitch24
Member since 2006 • 1167 Posts
Im no expert, but I have the XFX 790i board with 4gb of DDR3 1333 ram, and I was under the impression that you can only have ddr3 2000 ram in the form of 2gb with that board and if you run more than 2 the max is like 1600 or something? Am I right?
trashedteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 trashedteen
Cheers for the comments you lot, it does make sense to update your hardware regularly rather than every couple years. Does my final rig look good to go? Any revisions you think I should make? I think I'll ask about my W/C rig in another forum
_7h0m_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 _7h0m_
Member since 2007 • 873 Posts
Cheers for the comments you lot, it does make sense to update your hardware regularly rather than every couple years. Does my final rig look good to go? Any revisions you think I should make? I think I'll ask about my W/C rig in another forumtrashedteen
If you wanted a 30'' monitor perhaps you should look into 32'' 1080p TVs... they've gotten so mature you can't go wrong with a good Samy.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
nice but you'll have to up the number of screens and hard drives to be the best i've seen, i saw a review in the early days of solid state hard drives back when the max was 64gb and they cost over $600 each that read that he'ld bough 7 and put them all in RAID0 and now nhis rig boots like a dream
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

[QUOTE="trashedteen"]Cheers for the comments you lot, it does make sense to update your hardware regularly rather than every couple years. Does my final rig look good to go? Any revisions you think I should make? I think I'll ask about my W/C rig in another forum_7h0m_
If you wanted a 30'' monitor perhaps you should look into 32'' 1080p TVs... they've gotten so mature you can't go wrong with a good Samy.

monitors have a much higher resolution he'll do bettter with the monitor

As you're going all out you could replace the water cooling with faze change

DaGamingGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DaGamingGod
Member since 2008 • 1041 Posts
Might as well wait a little longer and build a Core i7 based PC.
Sistem_42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sistem_42
Member since 2005 • 372 Posts

webstaxero

I agree with you. 4870x2 kicks a$$. Alos i would rather buy a lot cheaper PC;if you buy this one you will have a hig end PC that isnt a lot better that a duble cheaper PC, and will stay a hig end for about a year. But after that year you will bang your head in the wall coz all of your parts will be at 1/3 of price they are now, and for the money you would saved by taking a "normal" PC you could buy new or upgrade PC that you would bought.

This is what i recommend

2x 4870x2

2x 640Gb HDD 7200RPM

1000W PSU

2x 2g 1000MHZ (1066MHZ) DDR2

Quad 6600 (2.4 GHZ)

Some other motherboard (4 Dimm; max 8gb; 1066 FSB)

--------------

I dont know what are you thinking of using that PC for, but for gaming there aren't much performance difference of your and "mine" config.