My gtx1080 seem to be doing poorly since a couple of weeks...

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts

Hey guys, I might be crazy, but it feels like my gtx1080 SC is not giving me the performances it used to.

In BF1 I am not getting that sweet steady 90+fps I used to have, it's dropping to 65 sometimes even :s

I tried downloading msi afterburner and set a custom fan curve because before with my gtx680 it helped a lot, but even with that, I feel like it's not performing as it used to like when I got it a couple of months ago. Anybody else ?

Also this is just a rumor, but I heard NVidia is gimping older cards with new drivers so people might want to buy new cards, hopefully that is 100% false :/

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@jack00 said:

Hey guys, I might be crazy, but it feels like my gtx1080 SC is not giving me the performances it used to.

In BF1 I am not getting that sweet steady 90+fps I used to have, it's dropping to 65 sometimes even :s

I tried downloading msi afterburner and set a custom fan curve because before with my gtx680 it helped a lot, but even with that, I feel like it's not performing as it used to like when I got it a couple of months ago. Anybody else ?

Also this is just a rumor, but I heard NVidia is gimping older cards with new drivers so people might want to buy new cards, hopefully that is 100% false :/

Rumor related - you can download older driver version and see for yourself.

I would look for temps.

You could always upgrade to 1080Ti :P

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Check your gpu usage in those games while playing with after burner.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Mine is performing the same as always. Maybe you had a bad driver install or something.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@jack00 said:

Man that would upset a lot of people. I really don't believe they would do that since people would find out - but then again they don't have any competition for the high-end.... Anything is possible.

Is it dirty/dusty. You can try to clean it.

Did BF1 get a patch?

Did Windows 10 get any patches?

Let us know if you figure anything out.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jack00

GPU usage is pretty much at max when playing. There has been a few updates/patches since the last time I thought the card was performing well... I could try reinstalling the drivers I guess...

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

@jack00: make sure your playing in DX11 mode.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

They don't gimp their cards through driver updates, this has been tested before. It's just that they don't tend to get much performance increase over time after release.

What does affect them is newer game engines running poorly on Keplar. They are made in mind for Maxwell, so Keplar cards run newer games fairly poorly. This effect can be pretty significant.

This has nothing to do with your 1080 though. Just make sure it's running at the correct clocks in after burner as well.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jack00

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

They don't gimp their cards through driver updates, this has been tested before. It's just that they don't tend to get much performance increase over time after release.

What does affect them is newer game engines running poorly on Keplar. They are made in mind for Maxwell, so Keplar cards run newer games fairly poorly. This effect can be pretty significant.

This has nothing to do with your 1080 though. Just make sure it's running at the correct clocks in after burner as well.

I didn't say my gtx1080 is not performing well. I'm saying it's not performing as good as it used to as when I got it, from the same rig I made it with. Like I said I used to get a steady90+fps in bf1. Now it seems to be struggling to keep it above 75 and I didn't change any settings on neither my comp or the game.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

I had the same issue. You need to upgrade motherboard bios and drivers.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jack00

@ivangrozny: I updated everything about 2 months ago and I still have the latest drivers for pretty much everything :/