MS screw over bugy Vista for new improved Windows Vienna in 2009!?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kiaininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Kiaininja
Member since 2005 • 548 Posts

I found an interesting article on where developers and manufactures are having problems with the rushed Vista compatibility and the 2GB wall problem. And that MS is going to ditch the buggy Vista and just release a new Windows called Vienna in 2009.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3779

Clips of article:

The honest truth is that sometimes, programs just don't work for any apparent reason. When I made the jump to XP x64 from Vista on my desktop, I actually could not burn the ISO for the x64 trial. None of my software would work under Vista, and when I tried to find new software, I wound up with a lot of coasters. What the hell? This isn't a complex task, this is burning a CD image!

Unfortunately, compatibility issues prevalent in Vista get compounded when one makes the jump to the 64-bit version as more applications get broken. Again, this wouldn't be a huge deal, except that we've hit the 2GB wall and the jump to 4GB really does merit a simultaneous jump to a 64-bit operating system, unless you want hordes of consumers screaming "I paid for 4GB of RAM and my system only shows 3.5GB!" They aren't interested in the esoterica of 32-bit addressing, they just want the computer to say "4GB."

DirectX 10, however early, hasn't lived up to any of its promises, and in fact has been a titanic disappointment. More than that, the features that are supposed to be unique to DirectX 10 can also be exposed in OpenGL. Given how few people readily jumped on the Vista bandwagon, it's safe to suggest there might be a slight paradigm shift to favoring OpenGL, especially now that DirectX has had its components largely broken up (more on this in my next section). It bears mentioning that id Software chose to debut its next generation technology at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference this year, and went so far as to point out that it was being developed on Macs. Likewise, Electronic Arts announced the releases of four new, high profile titles on the Mac platform.

Vienna, Microsoft's next Windows, is due in 2009, and amusingly was announced not long after negative public sentiment toward Vista was beginning. Let's hope they get it right this time and actually give us features we need.

So what do you gamers think of this mess and that MS is ditching Vista in a couple of years?:|

Peter_Darkstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Peter_Darkstar
Member since 2003 • 1091 Posts
I hope the new OS actually has some innovative and revolutionary features, as apposed to another UI overhaul.
dbowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 dbowman
Member since 2005 • 6836 Posts

Vista seems to be a bit of a mess. Surely the only thing it has going for it is DX10 ?

Anyway, i certainly won't be getting it until it is required by games.

Smithgdwg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Smithgdwg
Member since 2003 • 1886 Posts

Windows Vista is Microsoft's new Windows ME.

Yosmel2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Yosmel2006
Member since 2005 • 294 Posts
Personally im still left baffled when I read or hear about such negativity for Windows Vista. From my experience 75% of the people spouting such nonsense went out and bought (or downloaded) the 64-bit version not knowing what the hell it's about and once they installed it they found theirselves in a new world they were not prepared to handle and began to flock their heads like headless chickens. Thus the "Vista is a mess, Microsoft needs to clean it up" blah blah that I literally hear daily. I myself have been running Windows Vista Ultimate x86 since the day it was released and have not ONCE had even the slightest thought of going back to XP. I know im not the only one, and luck simply isn't a factor regardless of what many may claim to support their argument. I have several friends who installed Vista on their computers about the same time as I did, and not one has even begun to tell me that it is an operating system failure that needs to be scrapped. Something gives...
nohnaimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nohnaimer
Member since 2003 • 513 Posts
i have vista on my laptop and xp on my desktop, well i don't feel compelled to upgrade my XP, but I don't see any issues or problems with my Vista either.
gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts

Old news, i heard about this before vista was lauching...

microsoft can do what they want but i think ill be getting vista first then we'll see about vienna.

MAXimumGTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MAXimumGTR
Member since 2006 • 189 Posts
is this Vienna gonna need a higher RAM than VISTA?
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
Windows Vienna is the successor to Windows Server and is not intended for home use.
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#10 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

I found an interesting article on where developers and manufactures are having problems with the rushed Vista compatibility and the 2GB wall problem. And that MS is going to ditch the buggy Vista and just release a new Windows called Vienna in 2009.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3779

Clips of article:

The honest truth is that sometimes, programs just don't work for any apparent reason. When I made the jump to XP x64 from Vista on my desktop, I actually could not burn the ISO for the x64 trial. None of my software would work under Vista, and when I tried to find new software, I wound up with a lot of coasters. What the hell? This isn't a complex task, this is burning a CD image!

Unfortunately, compatibility issues prevalent in Vista get compounded when one makes the jump to the 64-bit version as more applications get broken. Again, this wouldn't be a huge deal, except that we've hit the 2GB wall and the jump to 4GB really does merit a simultaneous jump to a 64-bit operating system, unless you want hordes of consumers screaming "I paid for 4GB of RAM and my system only shows 3.5GB!" They aren't interested in the esoterica of 32-bit addressing, they just want the computer to say "4GB."

DirectX 10, however early, hasn't lived up to any of its promises, and in fact has been a titanic disappointment. More than that, the features that are supposed to be unique to DirectX 10 can also be exposed in OpenGL. Given how few people readily jumped on the Vista bandwagon, it's safe to suggest there might be a slight paradigm shift to favoring OpenGL, especially now that DirectX has had its components largely broken up (more on this in my next section). It bears mentioning that id Software chose to debut its next generation technology at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference this year, and went so far as to point out that it was being developed on Macs. Likewise, Electronic Arts announced the releases of four new, high profile titles on the Mac platform.

Vienna, Microsoft's next Windows, is due in 2009, and amusingly was announced not long after negative public sentiment toward Vista was beginning. Let's hope they get it right this time and actually give us features we need.

So what do you gamers think of this mess and that MS is ditching Vista in a couple of years?:|

Kiaininja

Microsoft is suppose to release the new OS in 2011 or 2012. They have invested billions and years into Vista. Theres no chance they will just abandon Vista all together. It would be a serious mistake to leave Vista. There will be a service pack coming for Vista to help patch up any problems people are having. Once all the problems are worked out with Vista, it will be a good OS.

I currently have Vista 64 and experienced small amount of incompatitability. It is nothing major or serious to worry about. If you want a computer with over 2 Gb of ram and dont want any limitation, get Vista 64.I would bet from here and on to Vienna you will see more and more programs and services be leaning toward 64 bit. Vienna itself would be 64 bit only. The reason is people are getting more and more ram in their computers. 32 bit OS is coming to an end once more people decide to want more ram then 2 gb without limitation.

pfasse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pfasse
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Personally im still left baffled when I read or hear about such negativity for Windows Vista. From my experience 75% of the people spouting such nonsense went out and bought (or downloaded) the 64-bit version not knowing what the hell it's about and once they installed it they found theirselves in a new world they were not prepared to handle and began to flock their heads like headless chickens. Thus the "Vista is a mess, Microsoft needs to clean it up" blah blah that I literally hear daily. I myself have been running Windows Vista Ultimate x86 since the day it was released and have not ONCE had even the slightest thought of going back to XP. I know im not the only one, and luck simply isn't a factor regardless of what many may claim to support their argument. I have several friends who installed Vista on their computers about the same time as I did, and not one has even begun to tell me that it is an operating system failure that needs to be scrapped. Something gives...Yosmel2006

Can we all just get a clue real quick? It's an opperating system, why in gods name would it require a top of the line computer to run. An OS by design is supposed to be light weight and small enough to run efficiently while your programs run. I mean an XBOX 360 has hardware that would be obsolete by computer standards 4 years ago, yet can run games that require a 3.0 GHZ and top of the line vid card on Vista. That's because Vista is a bloated resource hog. We aren't getting better with technology, just less efficient. They need to scrap their game plan alltogether and go with a light weight user interface, that doesn't require 1Gig of frickin ram.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Deihmos

[QUOTE="Yosmel2006"]Personally im still left baffled when I read or hear about such negativity for Windows Vista. From my experience 75% of the people spouting such nonsense went out and bought (or downloaded) the 64-bit version not knowing what the hell it's about and once they installed it they found theirselves in a new world they were not prepared to handle and began to flock their heads like headless chickens. Thus the "Vista is a mess, Microsoft needs to clean it up" blah blah that I literally hear daily. I myself have been running Windows Vista Ultimate x86 since the day it was released and have not ONCE had even the slightest thought of going back to XP. I know im not the only one, and luck simply isn't a factor regardless of what many may claim to support their argument. I have several friends who installed Vista on their computers about the same time as I did, and not one has even begun to tell me that it is an operating system failure that needs to be scrapped. Something gives...pfasse

Can we all just get a clue real quick? It's an opperating system, why in gods name would it require a top of the line computer to run. An OS by design is supposed to be light weight and small enough to run efficiently while your programs run. I mean an XBOX 360 has hardware that would be obsolete by computer standards 4 years ago, yet can run games that require a 3.0 GHZ and top of the line vid card on Vista. That's because Vista is a bloated resource hog. We aren't getting better with technology, just less efficient. They need to scrap their game plan alltogether and go with a light weight user interface, that doesn't require 1Gig of frickin ram.

The Operating System has evolved a lot since the days of DOS and PC prices has dropped significantly. Memory, CPU, and video cards all get faster. If you want light weight there is Vista Basic that runs fine with 512MB of Ram and 800mhz cpu. If that is too much there is always Windows 98 or Linux.

QuasarZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 QuasarZ71
Member since 2003 • 65 Posts

I mean an XBOX 360 has hardware that would be obsolete by computer standards 4 years ago, yet can run games that require a 3.0 GHZ and top of the line vid card on Vista.

pfasse

The main reason for this is that console game developers can optimize the game for specific hardware since all of the XBOX 360s have the same hardware and PCs don't.

KillerG2300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 KillerG2300
Member since 2004 • 428 Posts

Im not gonna get Vista anyways Shadowrun and Halo 2 isnt enough to make me go spend a crapload of money on a new buggy OS, besides their getting drivers to work on XP anyways, right?

anywho I guess ill just have to hold out another couple years (this seams like the Windows ME and XP situation.. Windows ME sucked so they made XP...)

dunamistheou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dunamistheou
Member since 2005 • 4744 Posts
CopytoDVD and a host of other programs work fine in Vista.
pfasse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pfasse
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="pfasse"]

I mean an XBOX 360 has hardware that would be obsolete by computer standards 4 years ago, yet can run games that require a 3.0 GHZ and top of the line vid card on Vista.

QuasarZ71

The main reason for this is that console game developers can optimize the game for specific hardware since all of the XBOX 360s have the same hardware and PCs don't.

No that plays more a part to the buggyness and hardware compatability problems. An OS is supposed to be a thin layer of commands to and from software to hardware, not 3d sliding windows and garbage that does nothing but eat up hardware resources.

Can you imagine running the new splinter cell on a Unix console? Do you think it would be slower or faster, and why? Unix has been 64 bit for oh I don't know, since the beggining of Unix.

Everyone has been duped into buying into this perpetuation of faster is better, heres a phone, it takes crappy pictures, it plays crappy sounding music, it has a tiny screen that you can surf the net on, and did we mention it's a phone? Why do people "Need" that?

To me the news that vista is getting scraped is great, if only it were true, which I highly doubt.

Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
ChinoJamesKeene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChinoJamesKeene
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts
[QUOTE="pfasse"]

[QUOTE="Yosmel2006"]Personally im still left baffled when I read or hear about such negativity for Windows Vista. From my experience 75% of the people spouting such nonsense went out and bought (or downloaded) the 64-bit version not knowing what the hell it's about and once they installed it they found theirselves in a new world they were not prepared to handle and began to flock their heads like headless chickens. Thus the "Vista is a mess, Microsoft needs to clean it up" blah blah that I literally hear daily. I myself have been running Windows Vista Ultimate x86 since the day it was released and have not ONCE had even the slightest thought of going back to XP. I know im not the only one, and luck simply isn't a factor regardless of what many may claim to support their argument. I have several friends who installed Vista on their computers about the same time as I did, and not one has even begun to tell me that it is an operating system failure that needs to be scrapped. Something gives...Deihmos

The Operating System has evolved a lot since the days of DOS and PC prices has dropped significantly. Memory, CPU, and video cards all get faster. If you want light weight there is Vista Basic that runs fine with 512MB of Ram and 800mhz cpu. If that is too much there is always Windows 98 or Linux.

Yea,its mutated into a mess and needs to die out to make way for the stronger and more efficient.

I think the OS has real problems, ive used it and got plenty of badly explained errors.

I install Rainbow six and halfway through "catastrophicerrorz!LOL",no **** its catastrophic does that message help me???

Its shiny and has lots of stupid features for active desktop and content controls i disagree with, even though they haven't exercised their rights with DRM yet i still hate them being there.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#18 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts

When XP first came out there were loads of issues with that but after a year or so people started to praise it and that's what'll happen with Vista. Give it a year and people will love it.

I will say that my experiences with Vista haven't been that great. At work we brought several new laptops with Vista on them and they crawled. I wiped them and put XP on them and they run like a dream now.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Deihmos
I don't know. I installed Rainbow Six and did not experience a single issue and I don't know what DRM you are referring to. Like the previous poster said some people are installing the 64bit version expecting smooth sailing.
Valkyrie_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#20 Valkyrie_44
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts

I am running R6:Vegas with no problems on the Vista 64 bit platform, but of course I am not one of those running around exclaiming about thesky falling.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
deactivated-5f5404ad8217e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts
seems like a waste, microsoft should finish putting out updates for vista, then come out with vienna later. so they dont lose millions on vista.
Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
ChinoJamesKeene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ChinoJamesKeene
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts
my mate bought an OEM machine with a clean install of Vista,it crashed using nView manager on the first boot. Wouldn't cooperate with the dual displays(though XP might've been as bad). It gave out errors for anything we tried installing, but the error messages are even less helpful now. They don't even try giving you an idea, they just assume you're too tech illiterate to figure anything out. Like how hard is it to exract a Cab file without critical errors?
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

I see no need for anyone to switch to vista, as MS has a perfectly working OS in XP(granted still could use some love but it is more than functional). It's a real shame MS has to limit users to DX9 only in XP, but it's also quite evident they are trying to force gamers into parting with their money. This is why MS has a terrible reputation, and this shouldn't surprise anyone.

I myself am going to enjoy brilliant DX9 graphics until one day I am FORCED to pick up vista, as one day there will be a game that is half decent that will not run in XP. I have no problem enjoying Crysis in gorgeous DX9 graphics, nor any other titles to come that support both. It will be years before Vista takes off, if it even does, and this time around it seems the overwhelming majority of people are satisfied with their current OS's. This seems eerily similar to Windows ME that MS completely dropped the ball on, with more or less a mass money grab.

Now, marketers and MS shareholders will tell you different, but our best interest isn't their concern. Anyone with the ability of reason and thought can understand what MS is essentially doing with Vista and GFW Live.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mismajor99

Aslo, since Vienna is the successor of Vista and Server 2008, as found in many articles around the net, MS dropped many features in Vista that were supposed to be there. For one, does anyone remember WinFS? That will most certainly make it into the next OS. Here's a good read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_%22Vienna%22

sircyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sircyrus
Member since 2003 • 6358 Posts

I see no need for anyone to switch to vista, as MS has a perfectly working OS in XP(granted still could use some love but it is more than functional). It's a real shame MS has to limit users to DX9 only in XP, but it's also quite evident they are trying to force gamers into parting with their money. This is why MS has a terrible reputation, and this shouldn't surprise anyone.

I myself am going to enjoy brilliant DX9 graphics until one day I am FORCED to pick up vista, as one day there will be a game that is half decent that will not run in XP. I have no problem enjoying Crysis in gorgeous DX9 graphics, nor any other titles to come that support both. It will be years before Vista takes off, if it even doesmismajor99

Exactly how I feel about the issue.

Vista is a bunch of useless fluff that right now all it does is slow performance. I wont be upgrading until I'm unable to run any new games, and even then who knows what I'll do. Maybe I'll buy a Mac if they've fixed up their gaming, or simply buy a console considering Microsoft is forcing the gaming industry the become a steaming pile of multiplatform titles and they'll have the same games as PC will.

Erlkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Erlkoenig
Member since 2006 • 715 Posts

Gotta love these happy-go-luckers: "as long as the bombs don't drop on my house, we're safe."

Casual computer users are less likely to find out faults than the more involved users.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

I am running R6:Vegas with no problems on the Vista 64 bit platform, but of course I am not one of those running around exclaiming about thesky falling. Valkyrie_44

Exactly! I had no problems playing through Rainbow Six Vegas on my Vista 64-bit machine (great game btw). In fact, that machine and Vista are running smooth as butter, haven't had any issues.

What are you people with so many problems doing???? Maybe I don't want to know :P :P

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Deihmos

[QUOTE="Valkyrie_44"]I am running R6:Vegas with no problems on the Vista 64 bit platform, but of course I am not one of those running around exclaiming about thesky falling. Nitrous2O

Exactly! I had no problems playing through Rainbow Six Vegas on my Vista 64-bit machine (great game btw). In fact, that machine and Vista are running smooth as butter, haven't had any issues.

What are you people with so many problems doing???? Maybe I don't want to know :P :P

I can tell you that the majority of the people commenting on Vista don't have it running on their PC. This reminds me of when Windows XP was released.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mismajor99

A huge reason why many people don't have Vista installed is because there's no need for it! DX10 is far from maturing into an API that's well above DX9, and there is a serious lack in games to push DX10 only gaming. If current systems are running like a charm, why upgrade? That's not a hard concept to understand. It will be a long time until Vista will be required, and everyone knows that early adoption of OS's isn't always the best option.

Lukozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lukozer
Member since 2002 • 6286 Posts

I can tell you that the majority of the people commenting on Vista don't have it running on their PC. This reminds me of when Windows XP was released.Deihmos

Precisely, and when this Windows "Vienna" appears, the same people will be slating it while going on about how infallable Vista is.... repeat ad infinitum.

sircyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sircyrus
[QUOTE="Deihmos"]I can tell you that the majority of the people commenting on Vista don't have it running on their PC. This reminds me of when Windows XP was released.Lukozer

Precisely, and when this Windows "Vienna" appears, the same people will be slating it while going on about how infallable Vista is.... repeat ad infinitum.

Considering how close Vienna is (if it comes out in 2009), many manygamers will likely still be using XP since Vista still wont be a requirement. Crysis is really the only big name game I can think of that will utilize DX10, and in that case it will be playable with DX9.

Vienna is supposed to be closer to NT though anyways isn't it? It wouldn't be meant for every PC like Vista is.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Deihmos

[QUOTE="Deihmos"]I can tell you that the majority of the people commenting on Vista don't have it running on their PC. This reminds me of when Windows XP was released.Lukozer

I know what you mean. It will be the same story every time a new operating system comes about. I used XP for many years and Ididn't mind upgrading plus Ididn't upgrade based on any games or DX10 which I don't care much about.

Viennawill basically bewhat windows XP is to windows server 2003.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 42316
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts
These talks of Vista is crap is actually annoying.............if you dont want it...don't buy it....to somw ppl it works great, for others not so great just use and get over it ppl
MyndFlyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MyndFlyte
Member since 2005 • 1103 Posts

Smithgdwg

Oh god, Windows ME. What a piece of junk.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mismajor99

Just to straighten out some misconceptions, Vienna is the complete replacement for Vista home and server. It's slated for 2009, but that all depends on how well Vista does, and the development cycle of Vienna, it will most likely be pushed back. Second, it's extremely funny how some people just completely forget Windows ME, it's like it never happened, nor it will never happen again. lol....

I would like for someone to please explain to current pc gamers who own an XP box, some really compelling reasons as to why they should drop a few hundred bucks for Vista, not to mention possibly some hardware upgrades since Vista is a resource hog. I'm really interested to hear.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mismajor99

These talks of Vista is crap is actually annoying.............if you dont want it...don't buy it....to somw ppl it works great, for others not so great just use and get over it ppl42316

I agree, but it's the pro-Vista users that talk all high and mighty about it that boggle my mind. I see no reason for an upgrade until games start to require it that are actually worth playing, not mediocre to poor games like Halo 2 or Shadowrun.

sircyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sircyrus

[QUOTE="42316"]These talks of Vista is crap is actually annoying.............if you dont want it...don't buy it....to somw ppl it works great, for others not so great just use and get over it pplmismajor99

I agree, but it's the pro-Vista users that talk all high and mighty about it that boggle my mind. I see no reason for an upgrade until games start to require it that are actually worth playing, not mediocre to poor games like Halo 2 or Shadowrun.

Those games were unofficially made to work on XP now, so Vista isn't even required for that.
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mismajor99
[QUOTE="mismajor99"]

[QUOTE="42316"]These talks of Vista is crap is actually annoying.............if you dont want it...don't buy it....to somw ppl it works great, for others not so great just use and get over it pplsircyrus

Those games were unofficially made to work on XP now, so Vista isn't even required for that.

Yep. I made a thread about this matter a few weeks ago, and I was told not to believe everything I read at joystiq.com. Gotta tell them, told ya so... It was inevitable by any rational thinking person.

daweguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 daweguy
Member since 2004 • 177 Posts

hehee :lol:

Always told my friends that Vista isn't worth buying, and they didn't believe me. At last some proof on that. :)

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I still like XP.
own1xon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 own1xon
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13647

opengl is just as good as directx10. devs need to stop kissing ms ass and use openg. It can be used on any OS.

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#42 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts

hehee :lol:

Always told my friends that Vista isn't worth buying, and they didn't believe me. At last some proof on that. :)

daweguy

proof? you mean a bunch of MS-haters who have never even seen Vista outside of a TV commercial coming in here and talking about how much they hate Vista with absolutely no specific reasons?

ok, you got your proof...

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mismajor99

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13647

opengl is just as good as directx10. devs need to stop kissing ms ass and use openg. It can be used on any OS.

own1xon

OpenGL is just as capapble of an API as DX, but too many developers have gone away from using it. Now, we as gamers are cornered into purchasing an OS if we want the latest version. But, people are too thick headed to see that.

Those are some amazing pics btw. Here they are:

xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts
*yawn* posts like these are so over rated.
knut-am

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 knut-am
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts
a silly tread indeed
Kiaininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kiaininja
Member since 2005 • 548 Posts

It's amazing how far OpenGL has improved. I myself started programing in OpenGL just out of curiosity and was pleased of what I could do on it. And since Apple, Linux,Windows, and even PS3 supports it makes more sence to code the game using OpenGL for multi-platform. Looking at those stunning OpenGL pics makes me wonder how much PS3's OpenGL can be utilized to achieve something close to those graphics.

Nayab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Nayab
Member since 2003 • 213 Posts
That is truly amazing!
PDark_Prodigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PDark_Prodigy
Member since 2005 • 566 Posts
Yep its to bad im a tool and what to play Crysis maxed out with all the bells and whistles...hence I will be owning vista and a DX10 card by this coming fall. But it really doesn't bother me that much. Most people I have talked with say they don't have any more problems with vista then any other Window OS.
FragMonkey09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FragMonkey09
Member since 2005 • 1543 Posts

Smithgdwg

YOu put my thoughts into words!

Valkyrie_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#50 Valkyrie_44
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts

I am not going to split too many hairs with you anti-Vista / Microsoft, but really no one is forcing Vista downanyone's throat as of yet, and most guests here who use Vista Ihave observedhave been trying to clear up fact from fiction. What is annoying is you got users around here at every moment throwing down the opportunity to put down a Vista user or just put down the OS itself without having anything factual or concrete, just hatred and elitism.

So far I have heard about the crack to XP for Halo 2, you don't get any of the multiplayer, (which I think is one of the main reasons many people go purchase the game), and the inception to get the game to work can be hit or miss. Yea sure Halo 2 and Shadowrun has been cracked, but its not a profound of a gesture as one would think, especially since not all the content is there. Congrats you got Halo 2 to work on XP, now go get your cookie. Since you are done with that now go out and find a cure to cancer.

I won't hold a gun to your head to get Vista, in fact if you are the type who thinks Gothic 3 was a great game, and you think others thoughtit was just simply misunderstood. (No really, Gothic 3 isn't unoptimzed and runs horribly it is supposed to run like that).I am not going to ask you to go to another OS when some of you apparently you are on some of the good stuff, and right now I am a little peeved you aren't sharing. Now,if you aren't on the good stuffso how did you get your head that far up your arse?