Mouse Lag when playing on HDTV

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for endtherapture51
endtherapture51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 endtherapture51
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
So I got an HDMI cable for Christmas, to enjoy playing games on an HDTV in a large size. I immediately fired up Skyrim and played for a few minutes, however after about 15 minutes, the mouse control went really laggy and weird, even in the menus, like my mouse was running out of battery. I then quit the game and tried HL2, andold game. This had the exact same problem sadly. It's definitely not graphics since the same problem happened on the 7 year old HL2 and the new game Skyrim, so can anyone give me a reason for this? The games work fine at first, and fine not through the TV, so yeah it's just weird.
CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

What HDTV is it?

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
You are using a wireless mouse?
joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

You are using a wireless mouse? C_Rule

^This^

If you are using a wireless mouse, I'm guessing that you've got the tower behind the t.v. or behind some other component. Chances are you're getting interference or a line of sight issue between the mouse and usb receiver. The best way to resolve that is to buy a usb extender cord. Plug one end into the computer (where the reciever for the mouse currently is), and plug your wireless mouse receiver into the other end of the usb cable. Now, run that cable in front of the t.v and away from any other electronics so that you can see the receiver. That should take care of any lag your having, if you are indeed using a wireless mouse of course... =D

Zodan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zodan2
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I have a 55" Sony Bravia (KDL-52EX700), and have the exact same mouse lag/stuttering. Only Happens when I play games on the T.V. When I play on my monitor there is no problem. I have the PC hooked up via HDMI like the OP. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this. I feel like I might be missing a setting or something on the Sony.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 C_Rule
I have a 55" Sony Bravia (KDL-52EX700), and have the exact same mouse lag/stuttering. Only Happens when I play games on the T.V. When I play on my monitor there is no problem. I have the PC hooked up via HDMI like the OP. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this. I feel like I might be missing a setting or something on the Sony.Zodan2
Are you also using a wireless mouse...
WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

It isn't the wireless mouse. It's input lag on the TV. I bet it's an LCD in Dynamic/Vivid mode with all the picture and motion "enhancements" turned on. Set it to Cinema/Movie, and turn off motion smoother, dynamic contrast, and pretty much any "enhancement".

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 C_Rule

It isn't the wireless mouse. It's input lag on the TV. I bet it's an LCD in Dynamic/Vivid mode with all the picture and motion "enhancements" turned on. Set it to Cinema/Movie, and turn off motion smoother, dynamic contrast, and pretty much any "enhancement".

WiiRocks66
Wireless mice can also cause it.
WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

[QUOTE="WiiRocks66"]

C_Rule

Yes, but since it's only when on their TV, there's a 95% chance it's input lag.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 C_Rule

[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="WiiRocks66"]

WiiRocks66

Yes, but since it's only when on their TV, there's a 95% chance it's input lag.

Maybe. But, when he's using his computer with his TV, he's most likely sitting a further distance away from the mouse receiver, than when he's at his desk, and they'd be close to each other.
davaniius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 davaniius
Member since 2007 • 498 Posts

This is most likely input lag and not the mouse. Try using game mode which will bypass the video processing on your tv and if that doesn't work, you are out of luck.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

If it's input lag and not the wireless loosing conection (witch in my opinion is much more likely than input lag.) it would be ALL the time even in windows in menus and during desktop.

Most likely you are sitting further away from the dongle than before and your wireless are almost out of reach causing the mouse to stop working a little randomly. Try sitting closer to see if the problem remains.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
It's HDMI input lag. Depending on your tv, you might have a "gaming mode" option somewhere...if not then what you can do is lower the picture settings, turn off any kind of motion blur used. You're basically disabling as many enhancements as possible to reduce input lag. Yes, the picture quality will look ugly, but it's what happens when you get an LCD TV.
swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts
It's HDMI input lag. Depending on your tv, you might have a "gaming mode" option somewhere...if not then what you can do is lower the picture settings, turn off any kind of motion blur used. You're basically disabling as many enhancements as possible to reduce input lag. Yes, the picture quality will look ugly, but it's what happens when you get an LCD TV. percech
It's HDMI input lag - What does than mean? HDMI many computer monitors also have, HDMI are a digital conector on a cable capable to sent atleast 1920*1080p proggressive scan up to atleast 10m, input lag has nothing with HDMI to do. What absolutely goes against your theory is that the TV was working fine for about 15minutes of gaming, it's not like the input lag suddenly got that much worse after 15min of playing. ;) nope, thats probably not the problem. LCD monitors are the same type in most monitors, the backlit wont change the performance being LED or whatever, samsungs brand new 55" AMOLED might make a difference but LCD are perfectly fine for monitoring.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Put it to game mode, alternatively if still no work, try VGA or component, they often have less input lag on tvs.

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts
agreed, This seems to be input lag more so than it being due to the mouse being wireless. I also had this issue ever once in awhile when using my hdtv as a monitor.
Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts
[QUOTE="WiiRocks66"]

C_Rule

It's not the mice. I've had 2 HDTVs that had this same issue (and it was because of that reason they were returned). It is input lag from the TV. WiiRocks is on the right track.
XninjauchihaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 XninjauchihaX
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
i cant believe someone said "its your wireless mouse" that's like saying a computer virus is why your computer is running slow.
XninjauchihaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XninjauchihaX
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
also i fixed my problem when i realized it was input lag. its just funny how so much "special" interference is caused by my tv that it only lags when i move my mouse over to the tv. but then works fine again when i mouse over to my monitor.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
dafuk i go back to this thread lol gs blaming it on wireless mice >.>
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 C_Rule
i cant believe someone said "its your wireless mouse" that's like saying a computer virus is why your computer is running slow.XninjauchihaX
I can't believe someone felt it was necessary to bump this thread which is over one year old. Also, not sure if stupid or just ignorant, wireless mice can behave differently depending on their distance from the receiver. Wasn't saying it definitely was the issue, just putting it out there as a possibility.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

DAT NECRO

ROCKINGFOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ROCKINGFOOL
Member since 2005 • 1795 Posts

get a plasma next time .

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

[QUOTE="XninjauchihaX"]i cant believe someone said "its your wireless mouse" that's like saying a computer virus is why your computer is running slow.C_Rule
I can't believe someone felt it was necessary to bump this thread which is over one year old. Also, not sure if stupid or just ignorant, wireless mice can behave differently depending on their distance from the receiver. Wasn't saying it definitely was the issue, just putting it out there as a possibility.

He doesnt know what hes talking about. You made a good point C

gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts

I recommend turning all your HDTVs "visual enhancements" off for that particular HDMI port and see if that fixes it.

Also, I got a little concerned about the part that said "I got an HDMI cable for Christmass". Please tell me you didn't pay more than $10 for it :(