Most poorly optimised game ever?

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#101 basersx
Member since 2005 • 6222 Posts

You guys that say STALKER must not have been playing PC games for very long, anyone remember a little title called deus ex invisible war? That game ran like complete **** on everyones system, STALKER ran just perfectly on my 6800gs, 20 - 40 fps and it was very playable.

ghadz

Yes STALKER runs fine on my 6800GT in 1280x1024 but only with dynamic lighting turned off.  With it on its like 10FPS!  With it off its like 35-45. 

Rickiej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#102 Rickiej
Member since 2005 • 342 Posts

Definitly S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Zarachas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 Zarachas
Member since 2005 • 339 Posts

neverwinter nights was pretty badnewbpwnage

Not agreeing to that, but i would say that nwn2 is kinda bad..... hope they do something there

natebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#104 natebayne
Member since 2006 • 428 Posts

Its funny that some of you dont seem to realize the difference between poorly optimized and massive.

Obilvion.... is a freaking massive game, can only be optimized so well.

Supreme Commander is a massive game, can only be optimized so well.

I know not many people said those 2 but it still bothers me to see comments like that.

elmertheowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 elmertheowl
Member since 2005 • 62 Posts

I have to say Oblivion wasn't optimised very well. I havn't played Stalker so I can't say much about that. Oblivion is a massive game, but there are third party optimization mods and tweaks that make the game look much better and play much better (I would say some of the tweaks and improvements are essential to the PC version). How many games are there that Gamespot does a "Make it pretty" feature for?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#106 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58511 Posts

Its funny that some of you dont seem to realize the difference between poorly optimized and massive.

Obilvion.... is a freaking massive game, can only be optimized so well.

Supreme Commander is a massive game, can only be optimized so well.

I know not many people said those 2 but it still bothers me to see comments like that.

natebayne

Oblivion I can understand.  For how good it looks and the amount of detail rendered at every point in the game, it is extremely well optimized.  I was very happy that I could get it to run at a reasonable resolution and detail on my 128MB, overheating 6600GT card.  Then when I upgraded to my dual-core and 7600GT, I could just about run it on max.  There are a lot of other beautiful games that wont run as smoothly as Oblivion does with a 7600GT such as FEAR, for example.

As for SupCom, however, I was extremely disappointed.  For the poor landscape textures and details (its like they took a sheet covered in ugly yextures and laid it over a flat landscape with a few bumps and gulleys and then scattered a few rocks and trees) and the lack of detail on the units, I was expecting it to run better.  Yes, you could get hundreds of units and structures on the map at one time, but I just dont think a game with poor unit AI should be so demanding.  Idunno, it just seems the game is either "dual core or dont bother", and that just isnt acceptable to me considering dual-core processors are relatively new to the general PC market.

If you have Steam, participate in their hardware survey.  If you look at the results, you will see that just about 90% or so of the people (and this survey is hundreds of thousands of participants) have P4 or AMD single core processors clocked at less than 3.0GHz, have 1GB or less of memory, and are running video cards ranging from Geforce 6600s to 7600s (or ATI equivelents).  I also think you will be shocked how few people (less than 2% if memory serves me correctly have Dx10 cards and 2GB or greater of memory.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="newbpwnage"]neverwinter nights was pretty badZarachas

Not agreeing to that, but i would say that nwn2 is kinda bad..... hope they do something there

Pretty bad? Alot of SLI 7900 systems can't get that game to run above 30fps regardless of the settings..  What gets me more is the DEVS EXPECTED this, wtf ?!?  Hell watch the Vista benchmarks..  They did a side by side comparison with NWN2 on both systems, only ONE benchmark got above 30fps from numerous top end video cards on 1000X700!

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#108 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
I'll have to agree that NWN2 was pretty bad out of the box, especially if you tried running X-Fire at the same time.  Thankfully they have ironed things out a bit in the last patches.
ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts

I still think it's stupid how everybody says STALKER is unoptimized. I've got a pretty cheap, low end machine here and I can play on high with no problems whatsoever, are you people sure you're not being total retards, thinking you can play everything on max just because you recently bought a new comp?

Platearmor_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110 Platearmor_6
Member since 2004 • 2817 Posts

topic ^.

what do you think?

I'd give the title to either STALKER, R6 Vegas or Splinter Cell Double Agent.

dbowman

Not STALKER. Considering how big it is, the dev team did really great and they are trying to fix it. But R6: Vegas and Double Agent definetaly deserve the trophy for most poorly optimised game. I mean R6: Vegas works fine for some people and not at all for everyone else, it doesn't support multi core processors, 8800 series graphics cards and its recommended processor doesn't actualy exist without overclocking. And don't even get me started on Double Agent. 

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

I still think it's stupid how everybody says STALKER is unoptimized. I've got a pretty cheap, low end machine here and I can play on high with no problems whatsoever, are you people sure you're not being total retards, thinking you can play everything on max just because you recently bought a new comp?

ShotGunBunny

STALKER's handling of full dynamic lights suck. 

I had a

PIV 3.0ghz

2gb ram (in dynamic paging mode)

X1950pro

And I still was not able to play the game with dynamic lights.  It was a slide show.  Now I know that pc was not cutting edge, but I was able to play EVERY other game out on pretty much max.  Including games like FEAR, Oblivion, and other visually impressive games.

It wasn't until I upgraded to my new computer (in sig) that I was able to take advantage of dynamic lights.  And without it, the game looks pretty horrible.

It's pretty evident the games handling and performance stink...hense not even a month after release a mod was able to come up with a fix and not only improve visual quality, but improve performance by as much as 20%

Don't call people retards if you are not aware of all the facts...

Grease_Bits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112 Grease_Bits
Member since 2004 • 2352 Posts
Halo, without a doubt.
Corpand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#113 Corpand
Member since 2003 • 481 Posts
Gothic 3 and Flight Sim X 100%%%!!!
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts

You guys that say STALKER must not have been playing PC games for very long, anyone remember a little title called deus ex invisible war? That game ran like complete **** on everyones system, STALKER ran just perfectly on my 6800gs, 20 - 40 fps and it was very playable.

ghadz

LMAO, yea on static lighting 

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
[QUOTE="ShotGunBunny"]

dnuggs40

It's pretty evident the games handling and performance stink...hense not even a month after release a mod was able to come up with a fix and not only improve visual quality, but improve performance by as much as 20%

which mod is this? 

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 dnuggs40

Float32 .36a mod

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/download.html?sid=6169713&q=stalker&tag=result;title;0

edit: Check out the user comments in the lower section...

lol_waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 lol_waffles
Member since 2006 • 1826 Posts
Halo definetely wins the award for worst optimization.
DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#119 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts
Halo.
napster89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 napster89
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Spiderman 3, Gothic 3, Neverwinter 2, STALKER and Starship Troopers

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="ShotGunBunny"]

onemic

which mod is this?

3D Guru / Downloads

ghadz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ghadz
Member since 2006 • 111 Posts
[QUOTE="ghadz"]

basersx

Yes STALKER runs fine on my 6800GT in 1280x1024 but only with dynamic lighting turned off. With it on its like 10FPS! With it off its like 35-45.

Try lowering your settings, and resolution. I played through the entire game multiple times and I was actually impressed with how it ran on my aging system at the time. I dealt with the stuttering and slowdown with -noprefetch, and changing my texture quality to medium.  Try these and see if they don't give you a boost.

Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Artosa
Member since 2005 • 5063 Posts

Spiderman 3, Gothic 3, Neverwinter 2, STALKER and Starship Troopers

[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="ShotGunBunny"]

napster89

which mod is this?

3D Guru / Downloads

starship troopers ran fine for me on my 5200 3.2 ghz and 512 ram

Terrorantula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#124 Terrorantula
Member since 2007 • 1795 Posts
Vanguard gets my vote
phantom5242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 phantom5242
Member since 2005 • 156 Posts
[QUOTE="basersx"][QUOTE="ghadz"]

ghadz

Yes STALKER runs fine on my 6800GT in 1280x1024 but only with dynamic lighting turned off. With it on its like 10FPS! With it off its like 35-45.

You guys kidding? Played it in my Athlon 64 3500, 6800 GT system in 1024x768 in medium settings and in most outdoor areas I had to turn dynamic lightning completely off to get the game run properly.

Anyway its a shame such a game had so many bugs and poor optimization. Have this game been polished like western FPS's the HL2's, Halo's, FEAR's, etc. would go in hiding out of shame. Only Far Cry would be comparable to it. Still solid and enjoyable though.

Vampire: Bloodlines was the worst optimized game. You couldn't believe that this was a Source engine game.

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts

Halo anyone ? >.>

Wanngan_Runner-

haha. gearbox FTL.

and yeah, STALKER takes the cake. i have to use static lighting and high settings with a 7900GT KO, E6300 @ 2.8, and 2GB XMS2. :| 

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#127 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

Vanguard gets my voteTerrorantula

The question was "Most poorly optimized game ever?" not "Most buggy game ever?".

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#128 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
Everquest 2 and vanguard...how ironic i know :P
fsnightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 fsnightmare
Member since 2005 • 605 Posts
Silkroad when u put shadows on anything other than circle lol. Even like 5 shadows in detailed on the screen lags it. And I have a 8800 GTS with E6600 :P my number two goes to GRAW or R6V. Runs like CRAP (on my old computer, which had SLI 7600 GT OC) even at 800 x 600 with everything on low. lol
A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#130 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts

why are so many people saying vegas? does it have problems with the 8800 series or something? i play it at full max settings on 4200+ / 7800gt / 1gb corsair ram at 1600x1200 pretty much perfectly... framerate isn't always perfect, but it's totally playable - and the game is damn beautiful, so it's bound to have pretty high specs

if it is an issue with the 8800, a kinda new game not supporting a kinda new card hardly qualifies as being "poorly optimised" - a specific problem with a specific card, especially a new one, isn't bad optimisation... but maybe i just got lucky

my vote would be everquest 2 

just to put it out there, the best optimised games i've ever played are half life 2 (with post-retail patches of course) and medieval 2 (a game that constantly astounds me with its beauty and optimisednessisms...ness)

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 dnuggs40

why are so many people saying vegas? does it have problems with the 8800 series or something? i play it at full max settings on 4200+ / 7800gt / 1gb corsair ram at 1600x1200 pretty much perfectly... framerate isn't always perfect, but it's totally playable - and the game is damn beautiful, so it's bound to have pretty high specs

if it is an issue with the 8800, a kinda new game not supporting a kinda new card hardly qualifies as being "poorly optimised" - a specific problem with a specific card, especially a new one, isn't bad optimisation... but maybe i just got lucky

my vote would be everquest 2 

just to put it out there, the best optimised games i've ever played are half life 2 (with post-retail patches of course) and medieval 2 (a game that constantly astounds me with its beauty and optimisednessisms...ness)

A-S_FM

Ya I didn't have any problems with Vegas either.

I had 3.0 PIV, 1gb ram, and a 6800GT.  Was able to play at 1280X1024 and it looked great. 

Terrorantula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#132 Terrorantula
Member since 2007 • 1795 Posts

[QUOTE="Terrorantula"]Vanguard gets my voteBgrngod

The question was "Most poorly optimized game ever?" not "Most buggy game ever?".

it can be both

nikola96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#133 nikola96
Member since 2008 • 836 Posts

GTA IV and Metro 2033.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Maybe Flight Sim X?deathseeker41

Well, if you slide everything to the right I'm sure. 5 fps? Ouch! :D

It doesn't respond at all to Crossfire or SLI and even though I own a lowly 5770, owners of higher-end cards aren't much better off. FSX is a CPU-hog. But, I like it.

Anyway, FSX can scale pretty good and for me, 25-30 fps is plenty for regional airports and General Aviation aircraft.

feherrobert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 feherrobert
Member since 2007 • 102 Posts

Saints Row 2 without a doubt at least for me

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Saints Row 2 and STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl are total winners.
RedDanDoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 RedDanDoc
Member since 2005 • 3720 Posts
Saints Row 2 and STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl are total winners.Crimsader
STALKER Clear Sky was worse than SOC. Well it was for me anyway.
Bros89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Bros89
Member since 2004 • 624 Posts

GTA IV

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#139 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Old thread is old... but cryostasis, no matter what i do it barelly runs always a 18- 20 fps.
quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

GTA IV. That game hates Crossfire for some reason.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
My most recent game I had trouble running, was my friend's Saints Row 2. She apparently was able to run it just fine with her SLI'ed cards (250 GTS I believe), yet I had trouble running the game on my GTX 275. Maybe because I didn't want the game to look like ass (AKA running it on low settings :P )
Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
Oh nostalgia. I was reading the beginning of the thread and wondered why there was no GTAIV, then I realized that this thread is from 2007.
fajin36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 fajin36
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness is surely a candidate, if not an outright winner. Ran like a limping dog on high-end hardware and looked terrible.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

FSX with everything on at 1440x900. Pointed at the terminals, the frame rate is 1.3 fps. Ouch!

Turning the view away towards the sea mercifully brings the frame rate up to 8.9 fps.

Thank goodness the game can scale okay.

The fact that it's Haneda Airport in Tokyo doesn't help the framerates any. Tokyo's a pretty big city. Plus, it's raining there in the real world. Rain has an effect on frame rates of FSX just like it did in Warhead.

andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

Jurassic Park Trespasser, But the Fan Community has improved the graphics GREATLY :P

flukki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 flukki
Member since 2003 • 69 Posts

Morrowind.

Even with MGE and other 3rd party tools, I get lags and serious fps drops on my current graphics card (hd5850)

But nonetheless, it's still one of the best RPGs out there.

Rawtheory333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Rawtheory333
Member since 2005 • 474 Posts

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

The best-worst game I've ever played.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#148 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

The best-worst game I've ever played.

Rawtheory333
It really is lol, though CoP is easily the best optimized STALKER out of the box.
blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
Battlefield Bad Company when something explodes in your face or even just abit dust slows down your pc
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

im going to with halo 2 i think. I wish gearbox did the port version of the game. Can't really blame bungie since they were working on halo 3 at the time. And the game doesn't really work on windows 7.