More than 2 GB RAM for windows, useless?

• 48 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fiendless7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 fiendless7
Member since 2004 • 572 Posts

I currently have 1 GB of RAM and was deciding whether to buy two 512's or two 1GB sticks.

My friend tells me that I can get 3 GB but my comp will only use 2 GB. Is this true, what should I do?

Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Angry_Bosmer
Member since 2008 • 1432 Posts
Tf you have Vista get one 1gig, it'll leave room for more. (you don't need more than 2). If you have XP you don't need more than one gig. Don't by that expensive dominater crap. It's a gimik. RAM is uselless. Speed dosn't matter much. (for that 500$ you get like 1 FPS upgrade) Don't get had.
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts
I would get 2 x 1GB.
Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Angry_Bosmer

You never need 3gigs of RAM on any game. Not Crysis, I run on 1.5. Not Oblivion. Not Galciv 2. Needs 1 full gig to run, I never seen higher.

Your mobo has like 4 ram slots. Don't fill em up with dual RAMs. If you need the slot you need to take out both RAMs because they can't run by themselves.

Remenber, RAM is overrated, you don't need as much as the ads tell you.

WDT-BlackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WDT-BlackKat
Member since 2008 • 1779 Posts

The current reccommended average amount of RAM is 4GB.

32 bit operating systems (XP, Vista32) will use some portion of 4GB but not quite the whole 4GB, like 3.2 or 3.5.

64 bit operating systems (XPx64, Vista64) will use all of the 4GB.

Considering RAM is cheaper than Gas these days (provided you have the current DDR2) I'd go for the whole 4GB in 2 2GB sticks.

If you're using an old computer, particularly with DDR, I would just find the identical to a T match for RAM stick(s) you already have and increase to 2GB. Do not mix and match RAM that is not exact copies as it will forfeit dual channel benefits.

ct1615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 ct1615
Member since 2004 • 733 Posts

I would get 2 x 1GB.--Anna--

what she said.

I ran 2g and 3g on my XP system to see if there would be any difference. There was none in MSoffice speed or game FPS.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

[QUOTE="--Anna--"]I would get 2 x 1GB.ct1615

what she said.

I ran 2g and 3g on my XP system to see if there would be any difference. There was none in MSoffice speed or game FPS.

I agree. I didn't see any difference with 4GB and neither applications or games use that much memory.

WDT-BlackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WDT-BlackKat

Certain games, such as FPS with large maps like Crysis or BF2/BF2 mods, really benefit from more more more and more RAM.

Otherwise you spend the first half of the round loading textures and stuttering away as your harddrive is substituted for your missing RAM.

Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Angry_Bosmer

I have 1.5 gigs and have zero problems with Crysis. Like I said 1.5 is plenty.

theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts

Certain games, such as FPS with large maps like Crysis or BF2/BF2 mods, really benefit from more more more and more RAM.

Otherwise you spend the first half of the round loading textures and stuttering away as your harddrive is substituted for your missing RAM.

WDT-BlackKat
Correct. Angry_Bosmer, I don't know why you're trying to tell people that RAM is useless. It's not about making the game RUN faster, it's about faster load times, and more RAM absolutely WILL improve load times.
Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Angry_Bosmer

I'm trying to tell people not to bother wasting your money on like 4 gigs of RAM. Come on 4 GIGS!!!

Spybot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Spybot_9
Member since 2008 • 2592 Posts

Angry_Bosmer what the hell are you talking about??Ram being useless are you kidding??

You are running 1.5GB,are you running dual channel cuz you have to for best performance.Sure you may not need exactly 2GB for XP but RAM is so cheap that's why people just buy in 1GB or even 2GB sticks.

And you NEED 3GB for vista.My RAM usage while playing crysis in vista is 2.5GB!

RAM IS THE ABSOLUTE LAST THING ANY SERIOUS PC GAMER WOULD WANT HIS PC TO BE BOTTLENECKED BY

WDT-BlackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WDT-BlackKat

Screw this. You win. Happy?Angry_Bosmer

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Deihmos
Your ram usage is hitting 2.5GB? I have never seen Crysis use more than 800MB so what do you have running in the background that needs so much ram? If you are using vista it is probably still using superfetch since you have more ram. It's not really doing anything for you though. i didn't see any difference with 4GB in my PC. I have another 2GB sitting around but i only keep 2GB in the PC since I have no intention of using 64bit.
Spybot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Spybot_9

Your ram usage is hitting 2.5GB? I have never seen Crysis use more than 800MB so what do you have running in the background that needs so much ram? If you are using vista it is probably still using superfetch since you have more ram. It's not really doing anything for you though. i didn't see any difference with 4GB in my PC. I have another 2GB sitting around but i only keep 2GB in the PC since I have no intention of using 64bit. Deihmos
The game itself was using 1200MB.It was the tank level with DX10 very high settings.

So what if you dont have 64-bit?You will get to use 3.25Gb so I dont see the issue.

mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts

4 GIGS MAKES A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE.

Just for the doubters I have to make this clear.

Especially if you have Vista, you will absolutely feel the difference using more than 2 gigs.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Deihmos

[QUOTE="Deihmos"]Your ram usage is hitting 2.5GB? I have never seen Crysis use more than 800MB so what do you have running in the background that needs so much ram? If you are using vista it is probably still using superfetch since you have more ram. It's not really doing anything for you though. i didn't see any difference with 4GB in my PC. I have another 2GB sitting around but i only keep 2GB in the PC since I have no intention of using 64bit. Spybot_9

The game itself was using 1200MB.It was the tank level with DX10 very high settings.

So what if you dont have 64-bit?You will get to use 3.25Gb so I dont see the issue.

You see the 64bit version will always use more memory. I use Vista 32bit have never seen Crysis memory usage go above 700 - 800MB. Sometimes it is as low as 400MB. I took the ram out because it's not the same brand and it does nothing. When playing Crysis ram usage is like 1.2GB total and most of it is shareable. I have all the Vista features turned on inlcusing Aero and a few programs in the background.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I run a dual monitor setup.

I often play my games with the Task Manager running on the 2nd monitor. Provided you play your games on relatively high settings, its not unusual for various games to take up atleast 1.8 GB for themselves.

columbia93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 columbia93
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts

Still a newbie but... I play the Sims 2 with a ton of downloads and lots of neighbors, roomies etc. With 1G RAM, it bluescreened, with 2G RAM it played fine. (XP32bit) My new build (waiting on a replacement motherboard so haven't gotten to use it yet), is 2x2G Crucial Dominator on Vista 64bit that cost around $100 and I'm thinking it will be great. I do a lot of multi-tasking, having a lot of different things going at one time, including a TV tuner, so it seemed like a safe - and fairly inexpensive, bet.

I think it depends on what you intend to use your computer for and, with games that have a lot of "stuff," it seems that more RAM can't hurt.

HowardB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HowardB
Member since 2002 • 1689 Posts

I currently have 1 GB of RAM and was deciding whether to buy two 512's or two 1GB sticks.

My friend tells me that I can get 3 GB but my comp will only use 2 GB. Is this true, what should I do?

fiendless7

It's kinda, sorta true if you're using a 32-bit version of Windows.

By default, 32-bit versions of Windows divide the 4GB address space in half, with 2GB allocated to user address space and 2GB allocated to kernel / shared address space. This limits the maximum amount of memory any single application can use to 2GB. Although, most applications will run into problems around the 1.5GB - 1.75GB mark due to page file usage.

This doesn't mean you're computer will only use 2GB of memory, though. Even with a program that can use 2GB of memory, the operating system, antivirus software, firewall, etc can and will use memory from the kernel / shared address space, pushing memory usage over 2GB.

If you're using a 64-bit operating system this 2GB limitation doesn't apply.

Even with a 32-bit operating system, this 2GB limitation, and the "lost" memory used by MMIO, memory is so cheap now I'd go with 4GB.

Sooperhotshiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sooperhotshiz
Member since 2005 • 101 Posts

I have noticed that I couldn't play high resolution video with 2 gigs because it was choppy, but was able to with 4 gigs in vista. Don't know why though. I have 64 bit.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

I have noticed that I couldn't play high resolution video with 2 gigs because it was choppy, but was able to with 4 gigs in vista. Don't know why though. I have 64 bit.- Name Censored -
Vista takes a fair chunk of memory for its Aero window manager, as well as any gadgets and background jobs you have running. 4GB is definitely a recommended minimum for Vista gaming--and at ~$200 for 4 2GB sticks (the usual amound to max out a mobo), it isn't hard to go nuts. I have 4GB myself and plan to max out to 8 soon.

BTW, more memory definitely helps for Crysis, especially in 64-bit mode. I've noted personally that it still suffers (even at v1.2) a bit of a memory leak problem, forcing me to quit and restart on occasion.

PS. To whoever wrote the above, might it be possible to change your username, as it's impossible to quote your name (it fails decency checks)?

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HuusAsking

I run a dual monitor setup.

I often play my games with the Task Manager running on the 2nd monitor. Provided you play your games on relatively high settings, its not unusual for various games to take up atleast 1.8 GB for themselves.

XaosII
Same here, only I keep the sidebar there permanently docked and have an Everest Ultimate gadget running.
Avatar image for blackleather223
blackleather223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blackleather223
Member since 2004 • 1569 Posts

I have herd that between a good pc and more ram that sc should run better and that this game is a ram hogger. Is this true and if it is should I buy 2x 1gb ram of ddr wich I have currently.

Down the road like closer to the end of the year I plan on building my self a pc and plan on putting in ddr2 ram instead of ddr and I plan to stick with xp 32 bit I believe. What ever home edition is.

threepac81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 threepac81
Member since 2003 • 3459 Posts

You never need 3gigs of RAM on any game. Not Crysis, I run on 1.5. Not Oblivion. Not Galciv 2. Needs 1 full gig to run, I never seen higher.

Your mobo has like 4 ram slots. Don't fill em up with dual RAMs. If you need the slot you need to take out both RAMs because they can't run by themselves.

Angry_Bosmer

I have 6GB DDR2 and Vista x64 and I have hit 2.6GB memory usage while playing Crysis. So...

Spybot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Spybot_9

This is my desktop with Gears of war, fraps, nod32, msn messenger, dreamweaver, Windows sidebar etc running and according to task manager I am using 700MB. The OS caches memory and some people interpret it to memeory usage but it's not.If you really want to see how much memory is actually being used you need to look at the resource monitor. It will tell you what is working, shareable and private.

Deihmos
Seems like your memory usage had reached the limit for a certain time no??
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Deihmos
I have 2GB. Vista will never try going over that amount. Like I said most of what you see in task manager is just cache. Use performance monitor to see what is used not task manager.
Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Angry_Bosmer
Whats the resorce monitor?
Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Angry_Bosmer
[QUOTE="Angry_Bosmer"]

threepac81

I have 6GB DDR2 and Vista x64 and I have hit 2.6GB memory usage while playing Crysis. So...

Thats with Vista, I never used Vista but I know you need a lot of RAM

The highest I ever got on XP was 1.29.

Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Angry_Bosmer

Before I unwillingly made this a heated RAM debat. I asked friendless if he had Vista or XP?

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Deihmos

Whats the resorce monitor?Angry_Bosmer

Go to the start menu and type performance. It shows how much is commited, working, and shareable for each application. I don't bother with memory usage.

Private KB is actual usage. Copy and paste it to something like Excel to get a total if you care to know memory in use.

Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Angry_Bosmer
I don't think thats on XP.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Deihmos

I don't think thats on XP.Angry_Bosmer

No it's not. XP handles memory different to Vista.

Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Angry_Bosmer

SEE!!! :D

Wobosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Wobosh
Member since 2007 • 945 Posts

I've personally got 2Gb (2 x 1Gb in dual channel) - I noticed an improvement it lots of things when I upgraded to that from 1Gb (2 x 512 dual channel) and I'm going to upgrade to 4Gb soon (that means my system will only utilise about 3Gb etc.) - so I guess I'll see the difference for myself - I certainly don;t expect it to run any worse ;-)

I've seen posts from people playing STALKER and ARMA saying that upgrading to 3Gb from 2Gb made noticeable improvement - especially in ARMA....

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

The current sweetspot for RAM is still 2 gig, and you won't see much load-time etc, difference for going above that.

Never-the-less, more ram does help, for running more programs at once, it also allows Vista to cache more, so you'll see a boost with that as well.

A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#42 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
I'm ready to add another GB to my vista 64bit...I expect to see a difference.
muirplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 muirplayer
Member since 2004 • 406 Posts

fiendless7

Would have to know which operating system to use for this question to be sufficiently answered. It seems to be an endless debate on this forum over ram and how it helps your system. First of all, games aren't the only thing computers and RAM are used for. The purpose of RAM is not to give you more fps in a game, so we can successfully end that argument. The only real way I'd image RAM would affect gaming is if the RAM is absurdly slow. However with the speed of todays RAM, that is a thing of the past.

RAM is there to cache/store needed and valuable data for the system, and is much faster than the paging file on the hard drive (This is where it WILL affect a game. RAM can only hold so much data before the system will resort to the paging file, where when it's accessed, the game will choke for a small amount of time while new data/textures are loaded).

Less RAM = more paging file use (no matter what % ram is being shown as used, the paging file is always being used, regardless (unless you disable it)) = slower performance on loading, multitasking, switching between applications that use larger amounts of ram.

Don't hate, appreciate, and take some time to read and actually learn something

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

I'm trying to tell people not to bother wasting your money on like 4 gigs of RAM. Come on 4 GIGS!!!Angry_Bosmer

Waste of money? The stuff practically comes in cereal boxes nowadays..and it can make a minor difference in certain titles over a system with 2GB, and a significant performance difference if you're a heavy multitasker. If you have Vista x64, it certainly doesn't hurt to have plenty of RAM if you utilize Superfetch.

But if you have a 32-bit operating system: no, don't bother.

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts
[QUOTE="fiendless7"]

SEANMCAD

FYI...Windows Vista 32bit (and maybe XP) can see at min 3ram (I think up to 3.5ram but not sure on that).

64bit can see much more but I forget the total, something like 16ram.

Not always, on my gaming PC at home (with 4 gig of ram), on 32bit XP, Server 2003 (and I'm presuming Vista, as it was built on the 2003 codebase) I can only see 2gig of ram.

If I turn PAE on, I can see 4gig however, and Vista 64bit can see 4gig.

Also, the amount of memory that Vista x64 can see depends on the version that you buy, Ultimate can see 128+, and the rest of the version scale back from that. However the actual physical cap for 64bit is 16 terabytes if I remember correctly (I might be wrong on that though).

IQT786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 IQT786
Member since 2005 • 2604 Posts
i used to have 2gb but then i added another 1gb my games are much more stable some game do go above 2gb
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
if your mob runs dual channel then you want to install the same size memory. 2gb is pleanty for vista but 4gb isn't useless
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="SEANMCAD"][QUOTE="fiendless7"]

G013M

FYI...Windows Vista 32bit (and maybe XP) can see at min 3ram (I think up to 3.5ram but not sure on that).

64bit can see much more but I forget the total, something like 16ram.

Not always, on my gaming PC at home (with 4 gig of ram), on 32bit XP, Server 2003 (and I'm presuming Vista, as it was built on the 2003 codebase) I can only see 2gig of ram.

If I turn PAE on, I can see 4gig however, and Vista 64bit can see 4gig.

Also, the amount of memory that Vista x64 can see depends on the version that you buy, Ultimate can see 128+, and the rest of the version scale back from that. However the actual physical cap for 64bit is 16 terabytes if I remember correctly (I might be wrong on that though).

Current 64-bit Intel and AMD CPUs have a 40-bit limit, which is enough for a terabyte, and the memory addressing is set up so that when future CPUs step up to more bits, the user and kernel spaces will fit in naturally.
columbia93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 columbia93
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts

Just as an FYI - I've got a CPU/RAM gauge in the Windows Sidebar and, while the RAM usage generally runs around 40%, I'm surfing the web and watching WinTV and my usage is up to 54%.

I have Vista Home Prem 64bit, Intel Q6700 and 2x2G Crucial Ballistix - and I'm so glad to have spent the few extra bucks for 4G and not having to max out my RAM! Even at 40% I want a bigger cushion.