Modern day old school FPS incoming

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#1 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Hard Reset Interview

These guys starting this new studio sound amazing, must read interview for PC enthusiast tired of console porting and tired of over produced big name games and corporations.

I hope the game does well, I will be buying it to support these guys if it comes out the way it sounds.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

No multiplayer? Pfft, no buy. The game just lost all of its replay value.

Vlashkgbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Vlashkgbr
Member since 2005 • 58 Posts

Jebus213

you are trolling right?

if anything MP it's the cancer that killed most FPS and heck, most games nowadays, I could care less about some mediocre MP copypasted capture the flag, deathmatch garbage from every CoD/Halo game to ever exist, give me a great lenghty single player, that's what old school FPS used to be like

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Read that yesterday, still cant believe the game is coming out in September.
SalikSST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 SalikSST
Member since 2011 • 261 Posts

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

Vlashkgbr

you are trolling right?

if anything MP it's the cancer that killed most FPS and heck, most games nowadays, I could care less about some mediocre MP copypasted capture the flag, deathmatch garbage from every CoD/Halo game to ever exist, give me a great lenghty single player, that's what old school FPS used to be like

definitely i agree i never playede MP for any fps game only stucked with good sp.this game has been in development for at least 2 & half years & my sights are on it already my wish come true for exclusive PC game.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

"MS:I think most of our employees were tired of this corporate management implemented nowadays in all the "big" studios. We wanted to create a place with a flexible management system, sort of an old-school "garage" studio. "

"MS:There is no multiplayer! Why? Because nowadays there are just too many games focused only on multiplayer. We had to choose whether we wanted to put all our efforts into creating the best single-player experience or add a multiplayer mode just to fill the check box and still get it done worse than in other games focused on multiplayer modes."

Mad respect for these guys. And here I was thinking that Serious Sam 3 would be the only FPS I'd play in the next year.

Tanya_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Tanya_19
Member since 2009 • 396 Posts

Jebus213
i feel sorry for you if this is what you think.
attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2468 Posts
I'm guessing you won't need a constant internet connection to play. :-) I'm cheering them on. Sick of big studios and their greed.
malebog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 malebog123
Member since 2010 • 243 Posts

I'm guessing you won't need a constant internet connection to play. :-) I'm cheering them on. Sick of big studios and their greed.attirex

and there won't be stupid weapon auction houses too!!

I am ready.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Jebus213

Yeah I'm inclined to think this way. No multiplayer in an FPS is really not acceptable in 2011.

yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yourmajesty90
Member since 2006 • 1420 Posts

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

Wasdie

Yeah I'm inclined to think this way. No multiplayer in an FPS is really not acceptable in 2011.

I'm actually fine without the Multiplayer, as an online loving guy. To be honest I grew up without it and I'm hoping for a very good SP campaign. As they said, there are too many mediocre Multiplayer experiences out there.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

I'm glad it'll be a single-player experience. Not to mention Hard Reset will bring back this:

HH

AnimusCarcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AnimusCarcer
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Definitely going to check this title out. I've been gaming since the 80s so this is sure to be nostalgic lol.

Multiplayer is a love/hate relationship. I like it because it is fun to compete with other people online, but I can't stand it either because of all the arrogant and condescending people online who talk stupidly over voice chat and end up arguing with everyboady over petty crap. It's really hard to want to stay focused in the multiplayer when you hear people engaging in verbal flame wars every two minutes.

Whether we like it or not though it is the current trend that is defining the market and games with a lot potential who don't want to appeal to that portion of the market, such as this title, might be alienating themselves from the younger fanbase who care only about multiplayer. I agree though there are too many big named production studios with even bigger budgets who spend the majority of their time prioritizing the multiplayer and leaving the rest of the game weak and unfinished. Too many times there have been games released where if you're not playing multiplayer it's just not worth buying. I congratulate the dev team of Hard Reset for wanting to stand apart from the rest and create a game to appeal to gamers who don't really care about some repetitive mutliplayer clone and just want a solid gaming experience. I saw the trailer and knew I just had to try Hard Reset.

Btw, what do you all think of Rage? Think it will be worth it or is it going to be an overrated title by an overhyped developer (id software)?

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Definitely keeping an eye on it, but I wish it had MP. But given the studios small size (I think) and budget, maybe this is better.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jebus213

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

Vlashkgbr

you are trolling right?

I'm not trolling. 98% of my time playing video games goes into MP. Once I play and finish SP I completely lose interest in it. I don't see how you can have fun playing against the same old predictable AI. Playing an SP campaign over and over is like watching the same movie over and over. It gets old FAST and extremely less appealing.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

I'm pumped, but I still wish it had UT/Quake-style multiplayer. Ah well, still excited!

Avatar image for poovannaorcbane
poovannaorcbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 poovannaorcbane
Member since 2009 • 543 Posts

Hard Reset Interview

These guys starting this new studio sound amazing, must read interview for PC enthusiast tired of console porting and tired of over produced big name games and corporations.

I hope the game does well, I will be buying it to support these guys if it comes out the way it sounds.

vfibsux
this game's announcement was a big surprise,waiting eagerly lets hope it lives up to the hype i have created in my mind after seeing that kickass gameplay video with that shockgun thing and zapping robots and stuff
kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

yourmajesty90

I'm actually fine without the Multiplayer, as an online loving guy. To be honest I grew up without it and I'm hoping for a very good SP campaign. As they said, there are too many mediocre Multiplayer experiences out there.

Grew up without it?

We played MP in doom, doom 2, rise of the triads, shadow warrior, quake etc. What other old school FPS are you guys talking about that didn't have awesome MP?

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vfibsux

I'm glad it'll be a single-player experience. Not to mention Hard Reset will bring back this:

HH

RyuRanVII

AMEN!

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 vfibsux

[QUOTE="Vlashkgbr"]

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

Jebus213

you are trolling right?

I'm not trolling. 98% of my time playing video games goes into MP. Once I play and finish SP I completely lose interest in it. I don't see how you can have fun playing against the same old predictable AI. Playing an SP campaign over and over is like watching the same movie over and over. It gets old FAST and extremely less appealing.

To each their own, plenty of other games out there for you.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 vfibsux

[QUOTE="yourmajesty90"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

kaealy

Grew up without it?

We played MP in doom, doom 2, rise of the triads, shadow warrior, quake etc. What other old school FPS are you guys talking about that didn't have awesome MP?

Just because he grew up without it does not mean he implied no games had it. I considered multiplayer stuff hardcore back then, it was nowhere near as accessible as it is now, not even close. The studio's point is today FPS's lose the singleplayer experience we used to have when that was where most of the attention was given. They are trying to bring that back, and I find that refreshing. Time to break the mold of all the crap modern PC gaming has turned into.
Vlashkgbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vlashkgbr

[QUOTE="Vlashkgbr"]

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

Jebus213

you are trolling right?

I'm assuming you never played a decent single player FPS in your entire life, bioshock was awesome and I enjoyed each and every single bit of it because it had an engaging single player experience with a deep storyline and plot paired with the gameplay and action of a FPS, on top of that it was praised and hailed extremely well, and it didn't have multiplayer whatsoever, on top of that some FPS have different storylines, ending, paths and things to do that vary between each playthrough much like games not on the same genre

perhaps you've only played GoW, CoD, Halo clones, and I suggest against them because their single player mode it's garbage and goes against anything that represents a deep engaging single player experience

why play a FPS with a great single player experience? the same reason you play any single player game out there, because it's fun and engaging

RareMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RareMonkey
Member since 2010 • 207 Posts

Sounds great from everything I read. Maybe if Hard Reset and Dead Island are successful we might see more games with a proper health system in the future!

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jebus213

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="Vlashkgbr"]

you are trolling right?

Vlashkgbr

I'm assuming you never played a decent single player FPS in your entire life, bioshock was awesome and I enjoyed each and every single bit of it because it had an engaging single player experience with a deep storyline and plot paired with the gameplay and action of a FPS, on top of that it was praised and hailed extremely well, and it didn't have multiplayer whatsoever, on top of that some FPS have different storylines, ending, paths and things to do that vary between each playthrough much like games not on the same genre

perhaps you've only played GoW, CoD, Halo clones, and I suggest against them because their single player mode it's garbage and goes against anything that represents a deep engaging single player experience

why play a FPS with a great single player experience? the same reason you play any single player game out there, because it's fun and engaging

Yeah, its fun and engaging the first time you play it.After that I don't care anymore. I find no "replay value" in SP only games. Ok? I don't even find them worth the money. SP doesn't offer 500 hours of gametime. My brother has play 8,000 hours of World Of WarCraft and only has two characters. Now tell me what SP only game offers that?

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

It doesn't have MP, ehh slightly dissapointing, but if you look at the big picture, there are plenty of MP FPS games out, and coming out to easily take care of that.

I wouldn't mind a singleplayer focused FPS... As long as it makes it one hell of a SP experience. I miss the old school FPS games like Blood, shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem. (though they all had MP, the single player was still fantastic) Wouldn't mind having a real throwback to that, except with 2011-2012 improvements, like graphics and such!

I am interested.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

[QUOTE="kaealy"]

[QUOTE="yourmajesty90"]

vfibsux

Grew up without it?

Just because he grew up without it does not mean he implied no games had it. I considered multiplayer stuff hardcore back then, it was nowhere near as accessible as it is now, not even close. The studio's point is today FPS's lose the singleplayer experience we used to have when that was where most of the attention was given. They are trying to bring that back, and I find that refreshing. Time to break the mold of all the crap modern PC gaming has turned into.

MP was a big part of the old school FPS. There's no reason at ALL to defend their choice to exclude it because if they want to make an old school FPS, then MP is needed.

BlueJinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BlueJinn
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Cant wait to buy this sexy thing! It looks AMAZING! Very Quake-ish which is great!
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="kaealy"]

Grew up without it?

kaealy

MP was a big part of the old school FPS. There's no reason at ALL to defend their choice to exclude it because if they want to make an old school FPS, then MP is needed.

Maybe you should read it again.....they are excluding it first of all because they are a small studio and want to focus on ONE aspect of the game. They chose SP because it is the LEAST focused area in fps games these days and some of us miss that.

I will add again, multiplayer was a big part of old school fps for YOU, but for the every day gamer it was not. I could build a pc back then, get anything to run, but didn't know crap about getting online with other players to play a fps.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

It doesn't have MP, ehh slightly dissapointing, but if you look at the big picture, there are plenty of MP FPS games out, and coming out to easily take care of that.Lach0121

Yup, I will be getting my MP fix from BF3.

Vlashkgbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vlashkgbr

[QUOTE="Vlashkgbr"]

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

Yeah, its fun and engaging the first time you play it.After that I don't care anymore. I find no "replay value" in SP only games. Ok? I don't even find them worth the money. SP doesn't offer 500 hours of gametime. My brother has play 8,000 hours of World Of WarCraft and only has two characters. Now tell me what SP only game offers that?

Jebus213

YOU don't care, because all you care about it's multiplayer, but there's a good ammount of people that would prefer a great lenghty game experience over copypaste multiplayer with copypaste deathmatch/capture the flag, see, you find that fun and not monotonous at all, I think it's quite the opposite since all I'm doing it's fighting other people over the same maps with the same game modes over and over and over, now that for me, is boring

see?, it's all about tastes and while you can create a great multiplayer experience, relegating single player to a garbage quality because of that said multiplayer it's one of the worst decisions a developer should made, something that happened with CoD and Halo games and something that never happened with old school games

Now tell me what SP only game offers that?Jebus213

baldur's gate series, planescape torment, Neverwinter nights, TES: Morrowind, TES: oblivion, soon to be TES: skyrim, Fallout series and a plettora of other deep engaging long games, the fact you haven't played much or haven't played quality games in your entire life doesn't mean you are right on any account

My brother has play 8,000 hours of World Of WarCraft and only has two charactersJebus213

and on top of that you are comparing a MMORPG with multiplayer in a FPS, are you sure you are not trolling? or outright I don't know...uninformed?

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Quite a few retro FPS's coming out this and next year, should be a welcome break from the overdose of the modern shooter formula.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jebus213

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="Vlashkgbr"]

YOU don't care, because all you care about it's multiplayer, but there's a good ammount of people that would prefer a great lenghty game experience over copypaste multiplayer with copypaste deathmatch/capture the flag, see, you find that fun and not monotonous at all, I think it's quite the opposite since all I'm doing it's fighting other people over the same maps with the same game modes over and over and over, now that for me, is boring

see?, it's all about tastes and while you can create a great multiplayer experience, relegating single player to a garbage quality because of that said multiplayer it's one of the worst decisions a developer should made, something that happened with CoD and Halo games and something that never happened with old school games

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]Now tell me what SP only game offers that?Vlashkgbr

baldur's gate series, planescape torment, Neverwinter nights, TES: Morrowind, TES: oblivion, soon to be TES: skyrim, Fallout series and a plettora of other deep engaging long games, the fact you haven't played much or haven't played quality games in your entire life doesn't mean you are right on any account

My brother has play 8,000 hours of World Of WarCraft and only has two charactersJebus213

and on top of that you are comparing a MMORPG with multiplayer in a FPS, are you sure you are not trolling? or outright I don't know...uninformed?

You pretty much ignored a lot of what I said and assumed a lot of things, you did the same thing in your last post. Also I was talking SP and MP games in general. You're not anwering my question. All you're doing is jabbering on in defense of your beloved SP.

Let me make it short this time: "What replay value does SP offer?" IMO it doesn't offer any, I play it once or twice and I see no reason to play it again. Boom I'm finished with it, I got whole story and beat it so why in the hell should I play it again?

Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#33 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

Jebus213

SP games are completely worth it. If you only play MP games, you're missing a LOT. While I agree with you that SP games have less replay value, you don't NEED to replay every single game. There are also a lot of SP only games with good replay value. Paying $20-$30 for a good 20 hours (heck, even 10 hours) game is completely worth it IMO. And you said that it's repetitive playing with the same AI over and over. But when you play MP, you're playing just the same maps and modes over and over with the same characters and not a single bit of storyline.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

[QUOTE="yourmajesty90"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

kaealy

Grew up without it?

Dude. Doom 2 multiplayer was actually really legit. It's still happening daily -- you better believe it! :D
Darksonic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#35 Darksonic666
Member since 2009 • 3482 Posts

Looks awesome I love old school shooters like doom and old school style games like painkiller can't wait to play it.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
as long as it keeps itself fresh every level then it'll be a great game
yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 yourmajesty90
Member since 2006 • 1420 Posts

[QUOTE="yourmajesty90"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

kaealy

Grew up without it?

They had MP, no doubt about it. But the best connection I could afford was 56k and at the time (and where I lived) the Internet wasn't as good as in America or UK. So I grew up only playing Singleplayer. So I fully support the decision of SP only.

halo2_4_pc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 halo2_4_pc
Member since 2005 • 1561 Posts

I'm perfectly fine with the game being SP only. My main concern is pricing since it has no multiplayer. If the game is long enough for a 25-30 hour playthrough, then I'm fine paying full retail price. If it's only a 10-12 hour game however, I'm expecting either a discounted price ($20-30) or I'll wait for a price drop.

staticxtreme27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 staticxtreme27
Member since 2009 • 62 Posts

I long for the good ole days of PC gaming. We had all the good FPSs, and consoles pretty much had anything else.

I'm tired of the console porting myself, especially when they dumb down a game so a console can handle it.

This game looks pretty beast, I'll definitely be checking it out.

Vlashkgbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Vlashkgbr

[QUOTE="Vlashkgbr"]

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]My brother has play 8,000 hours of World Of WarCraft and only has two charactersJebus213

You pretty much ignored a lot of what I said and assumed a lot of things, you did the same thing in your last post. Also I was talking SP and MP games in general. You're not anwering my question. All you're doing is jabbering on in defense of your beloved SP.

Let me make it short this time: "What replay value does SP offer?" IMO it doesn't offer any, I play it once or twice and I see no reason to play it again. Boom I'm finished with it, I got whole story and beat it so why in the hell should I play it again?

like I said before it's all about tastes, MY tastes comprises of a big enough FPS with multiple stories, branches and playthroughs and I find MP to be repetitive, boring with no real innovation since CoD pretty much infected the way FPS are played

but just because YOU think that single player has nothing to offer doesn't mean it's a fact, I already proved you a list of games that comprises several playthroughs with different endings, ramifications and the like, something that old FPS had, like someone said before, I can bring the horse to the river but I can't make it drink, if you can't see it that way that's nothing to do with me or the facts I already presented, it has to do with you alone

Armored_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Armored_
Member since 2010 • 186 Posts
Looks like a breath of fresh air. Good, I was getting sick of all the commercialization. Won't miss this.
BLaZe462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BLaZe462
Member since 2002 • 1432 Posts

[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="kaealy"]

Grew up without it?

kaealy

This. Imagine the old school fps games w/o multiplayer, they wouldn't have had anything close to the legacy they did.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#43 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

Wasdie

That's the kind of attitude that gives us multiplayer modes which almost nobody will be playing EG (Bioshock 2, countless other games with multiplayer tacked on for no real reason.) A great single player experience without multiplayer but with a lot of replayability is much better than half-assed tacked on multiplayer modes, in my opinion.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

To everyone demanding multiplayer in this game: did you play Painkiller online? How about Serious Sam?

Games just never, ever, ever, ever have a fantastic single-player AND a fantastic multiplayer. These guys are focussing on the single-player, so it's pretty obvious that even if the game had a multiplayer it would be lackluster (see: Painkiller). Might as well not even include one.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 vfibsux

I think people demanding multiplayer here are missing the point, they are trying to get away from the same old model of fps and go more old school. Old school fps was about SO much more than multiplayer, and that has been lost in todays games. This studio is trying to recapture it, and it does not involve multiplayer. Multiplayer games are a dime a dozen, go play them, this is meant to be much more special.

Just because you enjoyed the multiplayer does not mean that is all old school fps was about, the single player experience ALWAYS came first whether you want to accept that or not.

SilverSignal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SilverSignal
Member since 2011 • 551 Posts
Almost sounds too good to be true. :)
BLaZe462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BLaZe462
Member since 2002 • 1432 Posts

I think people demanding multiplayer here are missing the point, they are trying to get away from the same old model of fps and go more old school. Old school fps was about SO much more than multiplayer, and that has been lost in todays games. This studio is trying to recapture it, and it does not involve multiplayer. Multiplayer games are a dime a dozen, go play them, this is meant to be much more special.

Just because you enjoyed the multiplayer does not mean that is all old school fps was about, the single player experience ALWAYS came first whether you want to accept that or not.

vfibsux

Lol, not after UT and Quake 3

Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
**** YEAH
judahstarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 judahstarguy
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

The gun and hud take up over a third of the screen. It would drive me nuts.

judahstarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 judahstarguy
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

vfibsux
Old schoolers know about Kazaa. My old school games had multiplayer. Doom, quake, Duke Nukem, Hexen ect It was a freaking pain to get it to work sometimes..