Minecraft is FREE (for a while)

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

There were some problems with the server hosting the official website so Minecraft will be free until this is fixed.

"Phew. Wow. I never should've tried doing an update without fixing the performance issues.

I've disabled everything CPU intensive on the web server now, and put the downloads on an Amazon Cloud thingie. Since I've disabled payments as well, this means that Minecraft will be free to play until this all gets sorted.

For more information, go to http://www.minecraft.net/" -Notch

:)

Rec-neps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Rec-neps
Member since 2006 • 505 Posts

I decided to look at it the other day on Youtube and it looked terrible visually so no interested in that game.

DeViLzzz

That is to bad because it is a really fun game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

I decided to look at it the other day on Youtube and it looked terrible visually so no interested in that game.

DeViLzzz

It's a third-party sandbox game. As far as I know, only one guy is working on it. :|

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
So is this game normally pay to play? Looked pretty interesting from vids but I wouldn't want to pay for it more than once.
i-like-pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 i-like-pie
Member since 2005 • 4070 Posts
I bought the game a few weeks ago. Still waiting for the multiplayer :D
Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
So is this game normally pay to play? Looked pretty interesting from vids but I wouldn't want to pay for it more than once.General_X
ye its 1 time payment of 10 euros and its totaly worth it... ive spent so many hours playing ,exploring , building ... this game is so addicting !
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

[QUOTE="DeViLzzz"]

Rec-neps

That is to bad because it is a really fun game.

The visuals HAVE to be primitive, otherwise it would be an even more complex game than it already is.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Looks like a huge timewaster to me (more so than games in general).
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Minecraft is freakin' brilliant and easily at the top of my favourite games ever.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

DeViLzzz

To bad. Its arguably the greatest game every made.. in the history of gaming. Its complexity and entertainment is mind-boggling.

But yeah.. one less player aint that much. :P

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#12 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Just cant get into it for some reason. I dont mind the graphics, just bored me );

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pelvist

I bought the game a few weeks ago. Still waiting for the multiplayer :Di-like-pie

You can play multiplayer already, just download the server software and give your friends your IP address. Then everyone needs to click on multiplayer, enter your IP addresss and connect to your server.

KLONE360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KLONE360
Member since 2007 • 1119 Posts
Ill stick with Gmod thank you very much.
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Just cant get into it for some reason. I dont mind the graphics, just bored me );

kozzy1234

Yeah, those were my thoughts also :)

Though if you haven't already, you might want to check out the wiki and/or some videos to get a good or better idea of what the game is about, at least for me, I didn't know much about it playing for the first time. With my backlog of titles I doubt I'll spend alot of time with minecraft regardless, but I'll definitely need to give it another try.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

[QUOTE="DeViLzzz"]

Lucianu

To bad. Its arguably the greatest game every made.. in the history of gaming. Its complexity and entertainment is mind-boggling.

But yeah.. one less player aint that much. :P

I hope I'm reading sarcasm, because this is not the greatest game ever made no matter how its examined. It's fun though, a good way to burn some spare time. :)

quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

I've heard a lot about this game, so I went ahead and downloaded it. I've been playing for two hours now, and ugh, I can already see how this can take up a lot of my time. There goes my weekend.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

The visuals HAVE to be primitive, otherwise it would be an even more complex game than it already is.

kdawg88
Graphics don't make a game more or less complex. That's a cheap excuse. If the game had... I don't know... cel-shaded cartoonish graphics it would still be the same game at heart but much nicer to look at.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
They haven't added multiplayer to the Alpha yet have they? I'm not gonna get it till I can set up a private server for my gf again like I did with Minecraft Classic :D
KLONE360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KLONE360
Played it. Its like a constructive version of Farmville. I made an underground tunnel system. Then got bored. They charge money for this? There isnt even a tut to tell me what I can do. I just broke alot of stuff. Id think this should be freeware like the superior cube 2.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pelvist

They haven't added multiplayer to the Alpha yet have they? I'm not gonna get it till I can set up a private server for my gf again like I did with Minecraft Classic :Dkieranb2000

Like a said above there is multiplayer in Minecraft Alpha.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

[QUOTE="kieranb2000"]They haven't added multiplayer to the Alpha yet have they? I'm not gonna get it till I can set up a private server for my gf again like I did with Minecraft Classic :Dpelvist

Like a said above there is multiplayer in Minecraft Alpha.

Oh I see, thanks for that :D
K3VL4R201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 K3VL4R201
Member since 2008 • 40 Posts

Played it. Its like a constructive version of Farmville. I made an underground tunnel system. Then got bored. They charge money for this? There isnt even a tut to tell me what I can do. I just broke alot of stuff. Id think this should be freeware like the superior cube 2.KLONE360

they ? who are these they ur talking about :roll:

and remember its still in alpha , the turtorial isnt there yet but there will be a crafting "tree" that will let you see what you can craft etc

KLONE360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KLONE360

[QUOTE="KLONE360"]Played it. Its like a constructive version of Farmville. I made an underground tunnel system. Then got bored. They charge money for this? There isnt even a tut to tell me what I can do. I just broke alot of stuff. Id think this should be freeware like the superior cube 2.K3VL4R201

and remember its still in alpha , the turtorial isnt there yet but there will be a crafting "tree" that will let you see what you can craft etc

Yeah but there still charging money for this, no? Thats like saying hey, invest money in this and you might have a good game in a few months or years. This would better fit freeware then make money off of ingame ads.(Not the kind that are invasive) There are much more games that are better and are 10 dollars or less.

I get that its still in alpha, but they charge for this, I cant get over that? It just seems silly. Its not even worth anything really. Ive played free flash games that have the same basic premise. Just look at Garrys Mod. It was always free for 1-9 until garry had something he could sell and was worth the money he sold it for. This dousnt have anything on Gmod v7. I realized thats a mod. But what the dev could have done instead of making a new engine, (If thats they they did) simply mod cube 2 engine.

I dont see anything special about it. It could be cool. Im doubtful that it will ever be though. Oh and they refer to the Devs. Who did you think i referred to? The easter bunny and santa? :P

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
Score
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="K3VL4R201"]

[QUOTE="KLONE360"]Played it. Its like a constructive version of Farmville. I made an underground tunnel system. Then got bored. They charge money for this? There isnt even a tut to tell me what I can do. I just broke alot of stuff. Id think this should be freeware like the superior cube 2.KLONE360

Yeah but there still charging money for this, no? Thats like saying hey, invest money in this and you might have a good game in a few months or years. This would better fit freeware then make money off of ingame ads.(Not the kind that are invasive) There are much more games that are better and are 10 dollars or less.

I get that its still in alpha, but they charge for this, I cant get over that? It just seems silly. Its not even worth anything really. Ive played free flash games that have the same basic premise. Just look at Garrys Mod. It was always free for 1-9 until garry had something he could sell and was worth the money he sold it for. This dousnt have anything on Gmod v7. I realized thats a mod. But what the dev could have done instead of making a new engine, (If thats they they did) simply mod cube 2 engine.

I dont see anything special about it. It could be cool. Im doubtful that it will ever be though. Oh and they refer to the Devs. Who did you think i referred to? The easter bunny and santa? :P

Just like Gary's Mod, there's a free version and a paid version. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Baranga

[QUOTE="kdawg88"]

nethernova

Graphics don't make a game more or less complex. That's a cheap excuse. If the game had... I don't know... cel-shaded cartoonish graphics it would still be the same game at heart but much nicer to look at.

There are some pretty cool visual mods. It looks like a Zelda game with mods:)

KLONE360

One guy makes it. You'll get all the updates for free. IMO this game is already better than most full-price games. I bought it this week and played over 20 hours.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="i-like-pie"]I bought the game a few weeks ago. Still waiting for the multiplayer :Dpelvist

You can play multiplayer already, just download the server software and give your friends your IP address. Then everyone needs to click on multiplayer, enter your IP addresss and connect to your server.

Yea but isn't the multiplayer lacking major features?
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
Its a fun little game, very nice ideas... he just needs to add a hell of a lot more meat to it.... items, maybe some RPG styled themes, a living breath world. hard for one guy, his engine and the core idea is amazing, i just get bored after a while of mining/creating for no reason.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts

[QUOTE="K3VL4R201"]

[QUOTE="KLONE360"]Played it. Its like a constructive version of Farmville. I made an underground tunnel system. Then got bored. They charge money for this? There isnt even a tut to tell me what I can do. I just broke alot of stuff. Id think this should be freeware like the superior cube 2.KLONE360

I see your points in their but, first off theirs no "devs" theirs one singular dev making this by himself, this game is a timewaster but, its got alot of complexity to it if you look past the graphics and alot of people are really into it and have invested tons and tons of hours into already in alpha stage.i think its fair enough that he charges a fee for this game hes continually updating this game for his fans i think he deserves some profit from it. Also, its 50% off if you buy it now in the alpha stage and than your already payed for the full release and the rest of forever Your right it probaly should be free in the current stage but, its not exactly bad deal. i was really thrown off buy the payment model originally when i saw it but, with the fair amount of people hooked on this game it makes sense.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Baranga

Well there's a free version available too...

KLONE360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KLONE360

Just like Gary's Mod, there's a free version and a paid version. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

No one has yet told me what this game does. What I have experienced is certainly not worth $10 unlike GMOD. And I dont need someone to tell me to not buy a game that does nothing. As for Depth? I dont get how making holes and building simple stuff is someones view of depth unless they are extremely shallow. I really either think something is wrong or I am doing it wrong. I see how it is one guy making this, but I know a kid who made a game like this and gave it out for free, it was just as simple as this. I see how one could say oh its gonna get so good. But unless there is some binding contract saying the guy has to he dousnt and could easily drop it like a sack of bricks. If it gets good I may buy it but as it stands, it just looks like 3d farmville to me. I still think im doing something wrong though. In fact I have to. All i do is hit stuff and then pick it up or dig. I was building stuff with plants and blocks but.....I dont get how one could call that depth which is why I say I think Im doing it wrong.

Its cool that one guy is making it but beyond that, it shouldn't affect judgement if a game is good. Instead it should say how well of a programmer he is.

orrytur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 orrytur
Member since 2004 • 1682 Posts

I tried this and WOW I got addicted to it really fast!

When you create a new world, the game generates a world for you so every world is unique! You start off with nothing and you got to find ways to make tools,etc like pickaxes, axes. By exemple, you start off with a wooden axe and can end up with a diamond/gold axe!

When the night comes, try to get yourself a swordd and some armor because there are different kind of creatures that may attack you such as zombies, huge spiders,skeletons,etc.

When you see the Sun goes up, get out from your hideout/house/castle and look for animals to get food. To burn them, well, mine some coal and make a furnace with the crafting system! Theres just so much to talk about!!BTW dont worry about the graphics because the The EPIC gameplay covers it.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Baranga

Edit: the quote was messed up.

Anyway, this is the most important link if you're lost in Minecraft:

http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

:)

Freak2121GTAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Freak2121GTAF
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

*snip*KLONE360
Edit:Eh, nevermind.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

DeViLzzz
sry to hear your such a gfx whore.
KLONE360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KLONE360
OMFG......that is *Insert Swear Word Here* Amazing....................Why was there not atleast a simple text tutorial.......or a wiki link by the OP. I made sticky sticky from reading orryurs post and Barangas wiki link.
KLONE360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KLONE360
[QUOTE="KLONE360"]*snip*Freak2121GTAF
This game is not for those with a lacking imagination.

If you have any idea how many games out there that are like this but are just garbage like I do you would be just as doubtfull. Plus getting killed by happy looking walking cactus's never helps. Now that someone told me whats this about, Imah go play the map I made with the underground mine/fort.
Freak2121GTAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 Freak2121GTAF
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts
[QUOTE="Freak2121GTAF"][QUOTE="KLONE360"]*snip*KLONE360
This game is not for those with a lacking imagination.

If you have any idea how many games out there that are like this but are just garbage like I do you would be just as doubtfull. Plus getting killed by happy looking walking cactus's never helps. Now that someone told me whats this about, Imah go play the map I made with the underground mine/fort.

Sorry, I thought you knew about the crafting and all.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KHAndAnime
KLONE360, it's a game about survival. Most people here find the game interesting because you can create your own hide-out, defend from zombies, and create your own weapons and stronghold.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Been playing it and I find it interesting and addicting. I not sure if I would pay around $10 for it just yet but I think there a free version? I might just go with that one for now.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

Good sign that his server got destroyed because of the traffic. It shows how popular his game is getting :D.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#43 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

You have to find the right server for this game. Seriously, it's good fun when playing with other people. This server I'm in called Sin Gaming has people building cities ; having shops in a commercial district, people will love in residential lots, there's a public mine etc. I can't imagine how it will be when Minecraft becomes complete.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Nitrous2O

Yeah, those were my thoughts also :)

Though if you haven't already, you might want to check out the wiki and/or some videos to get a good or better idea of what the game is about, at least for me, I didn't know much about it playing for the first time. With my backlog of titles I doubt I'll spend alot of time with minecraft regardless, but I'll definitely need to give it another try.

Just as a followup, this is a time sink, no doubt.

Been playing this again after learning more about how it works since the first brief go 'round. It's extremely addicting actually, in a Plants vs. Zombies or Angry Birds sort of way. Very cool!

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Oh, that's great. Gonna try that right away. What an opportunity!
wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts

Some of you seem to be confused about the multiplayer, it is working. The only problem is there are no monsters in SMP, or there are but they cant be hurt? I forget, but pretty much everything else is working.

For those of you who tried to get into it on single player alone and couldn't then look for a multiplayer server and see if it changes your mind, their are RP servers, PvP servers, Peaceful servers, and when Survival is fully working the amount of servers will boom I think. If you havn't tried this game now is a perfect chance to test it :) some of the villages/buildings made online are seriously brilliant. My favourite sandbox game going , but thats just because I like building/mining so much.

Yes I am a minecraft fanboy haha :) But it is still a great game and once notch impliments the things he has planned it will be even better. There are plenty of rumours but dragons are confirmed ( I think, correct me if I am wrong though!) and biomes are going to be implimented eventually by popular demand. I just hope he hires staff sooner rather than later to help him with the coding and such.

Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#47 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts
Its in ALPHA guys. He's planning on adding SO much more to it.
supertrooper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 supertrooper23
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts

this game sucks! played it for a few hours and couldnt stand it! worthless. lucky for the dev theres some hardcore nerds out there that still play this game.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I was watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olYSN45lcpw

I like the music but that's about it. Seems like a "time-waster" to me. I'd like to see it pass Alpha stage though.

gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts
KLONE360, it's a game about survival. Most people here find the game interesting because you can create your own hide-out, defend from zombies, and create your own weapons and stronghold. KHAndAnime
You can do that? Hole crap, I'm getting it as soon as the server's back up. IMO the guy deserves to get some money so that he can continue the development. BTW wasn't the 10$ a beta price until he completes it, then it would be 20$?