SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

Metro is an absolutely excellent series but 2033 was a bit rough, Last Light felt way more polished. The Redux has seemed to really make 2033 shine. I preordered and am looking forward to playing with better graphics and AI. I really wasn't expecting this big of a change...

Metro Redux Reviews

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

redux for sure has better lighting.... but everything else looks significantly worse IMO. wtf?

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SaintSatan

@cyloninside said:

redux for sure has better lighting.... but everything else looks significantly worse IMO. wtf?

I thought some things looked a little iffy at first too and then I turned the video to 1080 and everything looked a lot better. Did you watch the video in 1080 HD?

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@k3ck said:

@cyloninside said:

I thought some things looked a little iffy at first too and then I turned the video to 1080 and everything looked a lot better. Did you watch the video in 1080 HD?

im more refering to the character models and a bunch of textures..... i did watch the video in 1080, but resolution wont make the new character models look any less completely fucked. i far prefer the old models.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts

@cyloninside: Looks like they developed for console kids. They like shiny bright things.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SaintSatan

@cyloninside: The ones at 50 and 1:40 are pretty meh but the rest of the models look like an upgrade and animations on the characters are a lot better. Everything overall looks vastly better, especially the lighting as you said which is really important for a dark and atmospheric game like this.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I prefer the original's art style more. It's a lot darker and gives better atmosphere which is important for a game like this.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SaintSatan

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I prefer the original's art style more. It's a lot darker and gives better atmosphere which is important for a game like this.

A lot darker? Really? I'd say the Redux looks a lot darker, and literally, there isn't white light everywhere. I prefer realism when it comes to atmosphere. The original has over dramatic artsy lighting and this scene might as well be black and white and have god rays shooting in every direction. In the original it looks like the heavens are opening and an angel is about to pop out of that very serene lighting at any moment while Redux looks gritty and realistic.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

This is George Lucas status of unnecessary changes and visual updates...

Why did they add that cutscene of you being pushed out of the way of the car? I don't understand why they would take control away from you and make your crew look dumb in the process.

I don't understand the dramatic change in graphics and artstyle. The hard and dark shadows along with with the lamp and fire lighting made you feel like you were underground. The new visuals look like they could be taking place in a regular house...

However, I do appreciate the changes in the facial expressions. That was always something that was lacking in the original game.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SaintSatan

@JangoWuzHere said:

The hard and dark shadows along with with the lamp and fire lighting made you feel like you were underground. The new visuals look like they could be taking place in a regular house...

You guys are so backwards it blows my mind. The original has much brighter and more "regular house" like lighting. In the original it looks like the entire room is lit by uniform house lighting vs Redux having light just from the lamp. In Redux you can see light coming off the lamp and in the original it looks like there is overhead lighting that's lighting the entire room.

Are you guys borderline blind? O_o

Also the video review shows a lot more of the darker areas, the comparison shows most well lit areas.

Loading Video...

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

I prefer the new one in general but some textures are really worse than the original and i wish they didnt change character models this much im not much of a fan of original metro 2033 but they seem to look better

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@k3ck said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

A lot darker? Really? I'd say the Redux looks a lot darker, and literally, there isn't white light everywhere. I prefer realism when it comes to atmosphere. The original has over dramatic artsy lighting and this scene might as well be black and white and have god rays shooting in every direction. In the original it looks like the heavens are opening and an angel is about to pop out of that very serene lighting at any moment while Redux looks gritty and realistic.

Yes, and I still prefer the original in the screenshot you took.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

I prefer the original character models.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I'm looking forward to this because I never got to truly play each game. (they didn't work well enough on my old PC so I stopped)

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Original looks more gritty

Anyway I'm not paying $20 for a reskin of the same game with more shinyness, that will probably sell to the console nerds haha.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SaintSatan

@FelipeInside: You're in for quite a treat. Both are pretty damn awesome. I thought Last Light was better than Bioshock Infinite, especially the gunplay and actual gameplay.

@JigglyWiggly_: Maybe from an artistic standpoint like if you were gonna frame it on your wall or something then yeah, I'd agree. As a realistic and atmospheric game? Not so much. I'd prefer having the original framed on my wall while playing the Redux.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@k3ck said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

The hard and dark shadows along with with the lamp and fire lighting made you feel like you were underground. The new visuals look like they could be taking place in a regular house...

You guys are so backwards it blows my mind. The original has much brighter and more "regular house" like lighting. In the original it looks like the entire room is lit by uniform house lighting vs Redux having light just from the lamp. In Redux you can see light coming off the lamp and in the original it looks like there is overhead lighting that's lighting the entire room.

Are you guys borderline blind? O_o

Also the video review shows a lot more of the darker areas, the comparison shows most well lit areas.

Loading Video...

0:36-1.03

Look at how the lighting is subtely changing every second in the original. The color shifts from red-yellow-orange quickly and randomly. The lighting conditions are very poor and the light casts incredibly hard and dark shadows. This type of lighting is only present in Metro original, the redux edition looks like it could take place in a skyrim mod or something.

SrgtSaggy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SrgtSaggy101
Member since 2004 • 1956 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

OG looks better. This reminds me of shitty doom 3 bfg edition where they messed it all up.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

Should I buy the original version of Metro LL or the Redux ?

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SaintSatan

@MK-Professor: Redux for sure. The original is kinda rough. It runs worse and doesn't look as good. Also the AI is improved in the Redux.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

@k3ck said:

@MK-Professor: Redux for sure. The original is kinda rough. It runs worse and doesn't look as good. Also the AI is improved in the Redux.

From what I have seen the Metro 2033 Redux indeed look better than the original Metro 2033, but it looks like that this is not true for Metro LL.

Metro LL Original:

Metro LL Redux:

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@Postmortem123 said:

I prefer the original character models.

This.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Original

Redux

The original looks better to me.

id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 id_mew
Member since 2007 • 608 Posts

I also think the original looks better.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Anyone actually bought it than can report. I'm quite tempted to get the 2033 version

Avatar image for goutsmasherlive
GoutSmasherLive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GoutSmasherLive
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Redux will benefit new gamers of the franchise.Those who finished the first 2 games will unlikely get Redux. Unless they want to spend on something they've already finished and do have a lot more time on their hands. I know I won't and don't (and yeah I finished both original games already).

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SaintSatan
@goutsmasherlive said:

Redux will benefit new gamers of the franchise.Those who finished the first 2 games will unlikely get Redux. Unless they want to spend on something they've already finished and do have a lot more time on their hands. I know I won't and don't (and yeah I finished both original games already).

Or maybe they just want to spend a measly $12 to replay a highly improved version of the game, like myself. :)

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I'd say OG Loc all the way. Gritty as fudge which fits the game.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Now that I've actually played some of it, the redux of 2033 overall looks much better than the original.

The animation especially looks much better.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#32 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm getting Redux this week

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SaintSatan

@topgunmv said:

Now that I've actually played some of it, the redux of 2033 overall looks much better than the original.

This.

You'd have to be blind to prefer the original over Redux. Redux looks far better. The game is still very dark and moody, nothing has changed at all in that aspect. I took some screenshots of areas that I thought looked awesome but once I saw the screenshot they looked really bad. The game looks far better in action, screenshots don't do it justice.

Last Light Redux I have mixed feelings about. Some areas look wayyy better while others look a bit worse.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#34 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58977 Posts

Even at 50% off it is still abit on the expensive side. The directors cut for Dues Ex cost me about £4. This is £17. Saying that though, it's two games.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 topgunmv

Does anyone know what today's patch did?

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SaintSatan

@topgunmv: It changed how/where the game saves and other various things that are unknown.

@uninspiredcup: You're comparing a directors cut with some minor tweaks to a complete overhaul of an entire game.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

i will be grabbing this on my XBOX as my PC is chock full of stuff already. I really wish LL had arrived on Wii U like originially promised, but THQ had old out of date dev kits before they went bust

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup

@k3ck said:

@topgunmv: It changed how/where the game saves and other various things that are unknown.

@uninspiredcup: You're comparing a directors cut with some minor tweaks to a complete overhaul of an entire game.

So, day 1 launch. Game crashes straight to desktop for most people. 800+ post thread on steam.

Developer says a patch is coming, but they can't patch it now (get this) because it's late the publishers are in their beds!

No joke.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SaintSatan
@uninspiredcup said:

@k3ck said:

So, day 1 launch. Game crashes straight to desktop for most people. 800+ post thread on steam.

Developer says a patch is coming, but they can't patch it now (get this) because it's late the publishers are in their beds!

No joke.

People sleep? Holy crap, that's really shocking news.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 topgunmv

@k3ck said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@k3ck said:

No joke.

Doesn't crash to the desktop for me, so it certainly isn't happening for everyone.

Anyways, it appears the patch improved the graphics. I've noticed more smoke, better textures, and much better lighting in some spots.

I also think they increased the level of tessellation. It's almost like the "very high" setting's assets were missing or something in the initial release.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By uninspiredcup

@k3ck said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@k3ck said:

No joke.

Shitty 12 year old sarcasm will not change the fact it's a broken piece of shit on launch my friend.

Yea, people sleep. People also do overtime.

I dono if you have ever worked, you sound young. But I recall working in a meat factory as a hygiene cleaner. Simply, hosing a fucking floor.

And you know what sonny? People stayed overtime, without pay to ensure it was clean for butchers the next morning. Because, even just cleaning a floor, people gave a shit.

We didn't have any apologist weasels on multiple floor related forums making excuses for our incompetence, no, we cleaned that fucking floor one way or another.

But hey, this is just a game. Dat floor ment the world.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SaintSatan

@uninspiredcup said:

@k3ck said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@k3ck said:

No joke.

Shitty 12 year old sarcasm will not change the fact it's a broken piece of shit on launch my friend.

I dono if you have ever worked, you sound young. But I recall working in a meat factory as a hygiene cleaner. Simply, hosing a fucking floor.

And you know what sonny? People stayed overtime, without pay to ensure it was clean for butchers the next morning. Because, even just cleaning a floor, people gave a shit.

We didn't have any apologist weasels on multiple floor related forums making excuses for our incompetence, no, we cleaned that fucking floor one way or another.

Lol holy crap are you uptight. Woke up on the wrong side of the bed today? I don't know if this is your first PC game but most PC games have problems with some cards on launch, this is what patches are for. They can't possible test their game on every single graphics card/configuration ever before the game launches. Every real PC gamer has been through this shit a hundred times. You think people are gonna get out of bed and start working because of a few gamers that can't play their game? Don't act so self entitled and be happy they're patching it quickly. I sound "young"? I can at least form proper sentences and paragraphs and don't throw temper-tantrums.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup

@k3ck said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@k3ck said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@k3ck said:

No joke.

Lol holy crap are you uptight. Woke up on the wrong side of the bed today? I don't know if this is your first PC game but most PC games have problems with some cards on launch, this is what patches are for. They can't possible test their game on every single graphics card/configuration ever before the game launches. Every real PC gamer has been through this shit a hundred times. You think people are gonna get out of bed and start working because of a few gamers that can't play their game? Don't act so self entitled and be happy they're patching it quickly. I sound "young"? I can at least form proper sentences and paragraphs.

No excuse.