Madden NFL 08 PC - controller issues

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

I posted this in the Sports Game discussion too because I'm not sure where it will get more attention.

I have a Madcatz Xbox360 USB controller plugged into my PC with the Xbox 360 Drivers installed (it installed automatically when I plugged it into the PC.)

When I load up Madden to configure the Controller, Madden sees it as a "Gravis Gamepad"... and there's no other controller options except a Keyboard and a Keyboard+Mouse.

I can map a couple of the buttons, but the colors don't match the Numbers on the pad in-game and there's no right-analog stick functionality (I can line up kicks with the left analog stick and the digital pad, but there's no right-analog stick to KICK the damm ball).

Also, the two back shoulder buttons don't function either - I have to press the controller's Select and Start buttons to see the Play Diagrams during the pre-snap... very annoying.

So what gives?

Do I have to get an OFFICIAL Xbox 360 Controller to get the game to work right?

Does anyone have any advice?

Also - if I DO have to get an Official Xbox 360 controller for this game to work right on my PC, can anyone here tell me if the game plays just it does on a console with it? Do all the buttons work properly on it?

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Netherscourge

Why did you buy Madden for PC and why would you buy a 360 controller knockoff? I am sure the game is 100% compatible with the 360 controller since the last Fifa worked fine with it.

Deihmos

When you played Fifa with the controller does it show the button icons as Numbers or as the Letters/Colors that appear on the actual controller?

WOWZORS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 WOWZORS
Member since 2004 • 484 Posts
Im having problems with my PS3 controller and this. It recognizes the controller but whenever i hit assign and hit a button BAM crash. I cant change the buttons or anything, I cant even find the file to manually edit it outside of the game.
Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Netherscourge

Apparently these are the ONLY controlloers the game will recognize:

Madden NFL 2008 Compatible PC Controllers

Werecommend using a 10-button Dual Analog Gamepad. The supported Dual Analog Gamepads are listed below:

• Logitech Dual Action
  • Logitech Rumble Pad 2
  • Gravis Eliminator Aftershock
  • Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Analog Gamepad
  • Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power 3
  • Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Analog 3
  • Thrustmaster Firestorm Wireless controller
  • Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

According to EA, these controllers are specifically mapped for the PC version of Madden 08. Any other controller will have to be custom configured and are not guaranteed to be read properly.

:(

Stratacoustix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Stratacoustix
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

Yes there is a fix for the Madcatz version controller. I've been playing Madden 07 on pc for a year now using both Madcatz and MS 360 controllers, but first you have to change your drivers. There is an issue with Madcatz controllers being detected properly by the pc as a genuine 360 controller setup. Keep in mind I have NOT played Madden 08 yet, but this works for '07 and all other 360 ported pc games for me just fine.

BEFORE YOU START HAVE YOUR CONTROLLER PLUGGED IN

Go to the following website: http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/download.html

1. Download the 1.Windows XP Xbox 360 Driver(Latest)

(Assuming that you are using WinXP...if not choose the correct driver package for your Operating System)

2. Download the 2. Updated Default Xbox 360 drivers profile. (right click and save as)

3. Go to your Control Panel/System/Hardware Tab/Device Manager. In Device Manager find your Microsoft 360 Controller. Usually listed either as a Microsoft Controller near the bottom, or in the USB Root depending on which drivers you have installed. When you find your current controller, right click and select uninstall.

4. After you have unistalled your original 360 controller drivers, install the XBCD drivers you just downloaded. After the drivers have been installed, reboot your computer.

5. If the drivers were installed correctly, you should now find your controller in Device Manager listed in the Human Interface Devices section as XBCD Xbox 360 Gamepad.

6. Now start up XBCD. After XBCD finds your controller, should be Gamepad 1 I beleive, click on the OPEN button and load up the XBCD profile you downloaded. Make sure that all of your buttons work fine, click SAVE and exit XBCD. You should never have to go into XBCD again unless you like fiddling with stuff.

7. Madden should now detect your Madcatz contoller properly and all of the buttons, receiver icons, etc. should be just like playing on an Xbox 360.

Please note that I've used this with Madden 07 and many other games, a few of which I've found don't work properly but not many. This is the only current way for the Madcatz controller to be recognized as a 360 controller. And you can thank MS for that for screwing up driver support. Probably on purpose to get people to buy their controllers but who knows.

Good luck and feel free to PM me or email me if you need more help.

Ranger11B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ranger11B
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts
I just bought madden 08 for the pc and the logitech dual shock controller, it works just like it is supposed to,all buttons and sticks. save your self all that trouble,:D spend 20 bucks and start playing!
Stratacoustix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stratacoustix
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts
The only reason I went to all that trouble is for one, I already had a free Madcatz controller and wanted to use both of them on Madden. Two, It gives more advanced options for use with other games. But yeah...if you can shell out for even a used MS controller it's just as good. I'm just trying to give some help for people who would rather buy games than controllers.
Ranger11B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ranger11B
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts
Understood, I don't have a problem with the help that is given here, I got some great help here myself dealing with my RAM issues, so, I want to say thank you for going above and beyond! Great gamin to you!
crossofgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 crossofgold
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
can anyone help em out getting teh game to work with my official wireless 360 controller for windows. it doesnt seem to even want to recognize it even tho it should. it uses the same drivers as the standard corded controller. it works just fine with fifa 07
plague2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 plague2005
Member since 2005 • 83 Posts

Hi,

I have Logitech RumblePad II. When I start the game, it detects the gamepad clearly in controller config and I seem to be able to set any config. When I start the game and set controller as my pad in the side selection area, it allows me to. And after the toss, it shows me which button I should press. But when I press that button or any button for that matter, it doesn't seem to recognize it. Please help me fix this issue. I will really appreciate it.

Regards,

Plague

no1mhfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 no1mhfan
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Could you update the links, please? They seem to be broken.
Avatar image for grudensjockstra
grudensjockstra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 grudensjockstra
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

heres how to use ps3 controller for madden 08 pc

http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3755&p=16552#p16552

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
I'm pretty sure that after more than two years, TC has found an answer to their question by now...