This topic is locked from further discussion.

WildTurkey00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WildTurkey00
Member since 2005 • 4067 Posts

Does anyone here own a macbook?

If so, how's it working out? I might buy one. Not sure yet though.

MacHaters are welcome. I like hearing criticism.

R3B311I0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 R3B311I0N
Member since 2005 • 978 Posts
yea I got one just a few days ago, the revised one w/ santa rosa and the x3100. Its pretty nice. definitely has my d630 beat as far as OS stability and design go. However, I got mine mainly for basic computing and light artwork. For CPU intensive stuff you're golden, but because of the lack of a dedicated GPU, andything that has to do w/ 3D stuff is gonna suck, especially gaming. The Macbook has trouble running the demo of the ORIGINAL Call of Duty unless you drop the settings down to mid quality. All in all though, GPU issues aside its more then a solid buy. I highly reccomend it, this is one of my first Macs, so Im still new to Mac OS (and we're all new to Leopard), but I had no problem adjusting. It's almost too easy. When I found out all you have to do to uninstall apps is just drag em to the trash (Mac's recycle bin) I was liek "omg ar u serious?" Also, a plus for the Macbook over the Macbook Pro is its a lot easier to upgrade. The RAM slots and Hard Drive are right behind the battery slot, all u need to do is remove a few screws and there they are. So yea get one, just make sure you're a fan of Mac OS first, its really a love / hate thing
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
I have a MacBook Pro and I love it immensely. Go get one.
Cheesebob57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Cheesebob57
Member since 2004 • 1911 Posts
I own one and it's the best computer I've ever owned. Casing is a bit discolored, but it's still a beautiful, fast, reliable machine.
dyaballikl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#5 dyaballikl
Member since 2004 • 8034 Posts
rockin my macbook now. used to be a mac hater, then i started using my macbook. had it for a year, love the hell out of it. only one recommendation: if you get the low model like i did, spend $80 on ebay and get 2 gigs of ram, otherwise it runs pretty slow with 1/2 gig.
juzzco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 juzzco
Member since 2005 • 68 Posts

im a self confessed mac h8r and i reckon you should go and get yourself a pc if you want to do anything associated with gaming.

and whilst i hate mac i will admit they are built better and they always have... but all things considered they suck soo bad it hurts

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
i currently own a imac g5 but picking up a macbook in the next week or so i think they great
WildTurkey00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WildTurkey00
Member since 2005 • 4067 Posts

Thanks, it sounds real good.

I don't play computer games so I'm going to go with the Macbook. I should be fine.

But I heard there may be some upgrades/changes to the Macbook line at MacWorld 2008 in Jan. I may have to wait a couple months just to see what happens.

R3B311I0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 R3B311I0N
Member since 2005 • 978 Posts
If anything this upgrade they're referring to is gonna be a 13 or 12" Macbook Pro, which will probably run over $1500 (imo). They literally just refreshed the consumer Macbook line 2 weeks ago, so those are safe buys for at the very least another 6 months. If you're not doing hardcore video editing or 3D, anything in Apple's Pro line is overkill. So unless bragging rights are important to you, I'd go with a consumer Macbook. imo the best deal on Apples site: Nice and small, portable, easily upgradeable (as far as RAM and HDD are concerned). What more could you want?
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

If anything this upgrade they're referring to is gonna be a 13 or 12" Macbook Pro, which will probably run over $1500 (imo). They literally just refreshed the consumer Macbook line 2 weeks ago, so those are safe buys for at the very least another 6 months. If you're not doing hardcore video editing or 3D, anything in Apple's Pro line is overkill. So unless bragging rights are important to you, I'd go with a consumer Macbook. imo the best deal on Apples site: Nice and small, portable, easily upgradeable (as far as RAM and HDD are concerned). What more could you want?R3B311I0N

A bigger screen. :P