Looks like the latest MW2 update killed my GPU..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts

Just after the update today my game froze within seconds of entering the first match I played and displayed the textures as purple and had huge artifacting. I had to restart, now I've got huge blue and grey vertical dotted lines up my screen and my PC won't boot properly.

I'm running on an 8800gts and I turn everything to low when I play online as I find it much easier to see whats happening. (even though I can play with most settings at high fine).

My PC boots fine in safe mode, so I tried uninstalling the video drivers and installing an older version but still my PC won't boot up normally properly and just displays a mix of black and white patterns, red, green and blue dots on the screen with any version of drivers installed.

So now I'm sitting here on my really old PC, looks like I'm screwed. MW2 sure screwed over my gpu after this new update, everything has been working fine everyday for the past 2 weeks.

I'm going to have to try buy a new gpu before the end of the week.

Anyone else have any problems after the latest update?

pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pinneyapple

Heres a photo of the current state of my desktop.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

I recently changed my 8800GTS. Have to say, MW2 was unplayable with it. I was playing it on low and still I had some crashes. It just isn't good at it...

Change the video maybe?

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

lol funniest thread I've seen in a while,

Unless you are running on a 16-bit unprotected memory module OS... then no software update to a game can do anything to your hardware.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Coincidence. MW2 did not break your video card.

Avatar image for RichardStallman
RichardStallman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RichardStallman
Member since 2009 • 1233 Posts
Sounds like your videocard reached its lifetime.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17819 Posts
if your PC is booting fine in safe mode (everything appears as it should and all that) then chances are your GPU is fine and you driver got messed up somehow. there should be a driver cleaning tool that you can run after uninstalling a driver....but im not sure on the name of the tools. have a poke around. basically it gets rid of all the settings files left over after uninstalling a driver. then reinstall the drivers (in safe mode if necessary) and try and boot normally. if that doesn't work then try repairing your install of windows using your windows CD. if that fails then format and reainstall (backing up whatever you need first of course). if none of that works then try and borrow a GPU from a mate (doesn't matter what one really) just to make sure a replacement will fix the problem. the fact that your PC is booting into safe mode fine is a good indication that you hardware is fine and that the fault lies in the software somewhere. its possible though that the hardware fault only appears when theres a bit more demand put on it. may as well try and narrow it down first though....might save a few quid :).
pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pinneyapple

if your PC is booting fine in safe mode (everything appears as it should and all that) then chances are your GPU is fine and you driver got messed up somehow. there should be a driver cleaning tool that you can run after uninstalling a driver....but im not sure on the name of the tools. have a poke around. basically it gets rid of all the settings files left over after uninstalling a driver. then reinstall the drivers (in safe mode if necessary) and try and boot normally. if that doesn't work then try repairing your install of windows using your windows CD. if that fails then format and reainstall (backing up whatever you need first of course). if none of that works then try and borrow a GPU from a mate (doesn't matter what one really) just to make sure a replacement will fix the problem. the fact that your PC is booting into safe mode fine is a good indication that you hardware is fine and that the fault lies in the software somewhere. its possible though that the hardware fault only appears when theres a bit more demand put on it. may as well try and narrow it down first though....might save a few quid :).osan0

Thanks for the suggestions, Its definately something wrong with my gpu. Even after trying other drivers it still wouldnt work, even tried using a really really old version from a few years ago.

I know its just a coincidence that my gpu died after playing it, but I'm sure that patch had some part to play in killing it.

I tried turning my pc off all night and just letting it rest, turned it on this morning and the problem has gone away. It'll most likely happen again if I play MW2, but I'm too scared to try it.

It seems a few other people have had the exact same problem as me with 8800 hardware over here on the MW2 pc board.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I recently changed my 8800GTS. Have to say, MW2 was unplayable with it. I was playing it on low and still I had some crashes. It just isn't good at it...

Change the video maybe?

Crimsader
I think you have another problem there. I run MW2 on my 8800GTX....my friend runs it on his 8800GTS.....we both play fine, no problems at all...