Looking to get new back up drives..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TDuiker
Member since 2004 • 11689 Posts

So im in the market for a couple of back up drives, because the current ones are frackin slow at 60MB/s and there getting to small....

So i was looking at these 2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5EM2EF3264&cm_re=ST2000NM0024-_-22-178-537-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236624&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSZMGNRIZHPC-_-22-236-624-_-Product

I saw a video on data recovery from hard drives they said WD head assembly spindle usually is just inbetween the top and bottom cover and whatever, the seagate is faster with more cache but also more expensive.. i basically want drives that are fast, but also reliable. since thats why i want HDDs instead of SSD for backup ..

So anyone got any suggestions, maybe some other drive in mind just remember it has to be 2TB minimum

Right now i got 2x WD5000AAKS, and theyre still running, but im running out of space, and i guess patience cause there so gooddamn slow..

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

That specific Seagate is so overpriced just because it has a 128mb cache.

For pretty much the same price as 2TB WD Black you can get a 4TB Seagate (only thing is it's 5900rpm but still 64mb cache).

But for backup I'd recommend 3TB Seagate Barracuda. I have one of these, I use it for games and I've never ever encountered a problem with it.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I would go with portable HDD since it's for backup only, easier to carry and pluged by USB3, with no need to open the case and wire up those SATA and power cables - but that depends on your preferences and how often you backup your files.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TDuiker

@PredatorRules: Well i prefer to have internal HDDs and maybe later a nas. because id like to have acces to my backup files without haveing to plug a external in and what not. I just have a HDD in each of my computers with all the backup files so that i have acces to these files without having to swap a external, and with speed.. a synology nas for instance does 100MB/s over Gbit lan.. I alsohave drivers and programs on there wich i want to have handy when i reinstall windows for instance.. i also have a copy of my origin stuff, so i dont have to redownload everything. and yes id like my origin originals on my SSD for speeds sake..

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@TDuiker: An external HDD.. Especially a 3.5 sized one, you have a regular HDD in a casing to make it all easier for portability.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TDuiker

@horgen: Still USB 3.0 external HDD gets a data rate of about 115MB/s. A sata 6G connected HDD will do 150 to over 200MB/s

My HTPC Even has older USB slots, 2.0 i bvelieve.. so thats going to be even slower.

Also redundancy wise.., i got my backup data on a external HDD, and then ?.. use 2 external HDD to mirror it ?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@TDuiker said:

@horgen: Still USB 3.0 external HDD gets a data rate of about 115MB/s. A sata 6G connected HDD will do 150 to over 200MB/s

My HTPC Even has older USB slots, 2.0 i bvelieve.. so thats going to be even slower.

Also redundancy wise.., i got my backup data on a external HDD, and then ?.. use 2 external HDD to mirror it ?

Sure... On the other hand, that external most likely comes with a SATA to USB 3 cable... Which might come in handy later on... As well as a case. :P