Looking for a Cheap Gaming Laptop

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Duggie12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Duggie12
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Hello All,

I am looking for cheap laptop that i can use for gaming, i have a budget of £550, and i am looking to play games such as L4D or COD4/5 currently i have found

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&kc=NRS15354&l=en&m_30=136650&oc=N0153503&rbc=N0153503&s=dhs

for £570 with 3 years warrent, i can afford the additional £20 but dont want to exceed £550 ideally

or

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152233

£400

So i ask firstly which is better, taking into account the prices, i.e. performance per pound or similar, and if i can possible find a better laptop. I cannot use a desktop as i dont have the space currently

machockey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 machockey
Member since 2004 • 320 Posts
no such thing
BushWacker69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 BushWacker69
Member since 2007 • 614 Posts
Gaming laptops on their own are rare enough, but a cheap one probably doesn't exist. I'd recommend either rethinking your budget or your need for a gaming laptop instead of a gamin desktop. You could probably find a laptop that would play those games at a semi-decent FPS/quality, the ones you highlighted among them, but if you could stretch your budget a little more you could get so much better.
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
first link doesnt seem to work, second laptop can play game but most likely at low settings, but i have to say the second is a great bargain!
BushWacker69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 BushWacker69
Member since 2007 • 614 Posts
first link doesnt seem to work, second laptop can play game but most likely at low settings, but i have to say the second is a great bargain!yoyo462001
i checked the 2nd link again, sorry to OP i thought this was at your full budget for some reason, sorry about that. for the price it's very good. and can get decent, although not exactly awesome, performance.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
neither of those have a chance of running new games about low settings. you need at least a gefore 8600/9600 or radeon 2600/3650 to run new games decently and those don't come in cheap laptops. you could get a nice desktop for that price but you wont get a gaming laptop for that price. If you are going with dell there is the xps1530 with a 8600m gt which is decent and will run those games fine but costs a fair amount more.
DJF25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DJF25
Member since 2004 • 167 Posts
I have the second one, It will play COD4 on very low settings, and even then it isnt great. Id stick to getting a gaming desktop tbh
Jogo19853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jogo19853
Member since 2005 • 108 Posts

First of all if you want to play fps games you'll need a good video card. At the point, where you want to put a good video card into a laptop you are already out of the category cheap laptop.

Than as you know games such L4D and CoD need a lot of performance and a lot of performance means a lot of heat for the processor and for the video card. And if you want to keep your computer for a long time you should get the whole thing good cooled. This, in my opinion, is the laptop 's biggest problem: cooling system. A laptop processor generate the same heat as the same processor into a desktop but due to the little place you can't use the same cooling system on a laptop as on a desktop. That means that laptop 's processors often overheat, which means that they get faster older. So if you are planning gaming on laptop you should definitely buy an external ventilator.

Furthermore with a laptop you'll have the problem that you can't upgrade it. If you buy yourself now a relative cheap laptop you won't be able to play the newest games in an year or two.

I myself bought a laptop 3 years ago with the same idea, to use it for gaming and after 2 years of playing WoW I am now not able to run any of the the best games of the past year. So my advise is that you should buy a normal desktop if you are really planning to use it only for gaming.

And still if you want to take a laptop you should keep in mind that some laptops are more expensive than others only because of the name of their trademark. For instance you could find an acer as same as the dell in your link for 50-80 Pounds cheaper.