liquid cooling: is it worth it???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Deamon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Deamon321
Member since 2005 • 1568 Posts

ok so my comp is pretty loud cuz of all the fans in it (liek 3-4) and i wanan get liqid cooling. what i want to know is :

1.can get liquid cooling for under 50 dollars

2. is it very hard to install or can i do it myself

3. will it make a major difference in the temperature of my computer

these are various temperatures for parts in my comp while it is idle.

Processor Temperature : 45 °C
Processor Temperature (Core 1) : 41 °C
Processor Temperature (Core 2) : 41 °C
Mainboard Temperature : 40 °C
Power/Aux Temperature : 38 °C
Hard Disk Temperature WDC WD2500JS-22NCB1         : 37 °C

are all these normal or are they too hot???

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts
1: A huge, resounding "no". 2: It's pretty difficult. If you're confident inside your computer, you shouldn't have any problems. 3: Assuming you're using the stock fan, you'll see a decent amount of difference. The temperatures of your processor do seem a bit high - but considering your motherboard temperature, it actually seems right about on par with everything else.
newguy957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 newguy957
Member since 2004 • 2111 Posts
50 for watercooling isn't worth it IMO. To get the most out of your watercooling you would most likely be spending between $100-$250 depending on the parts you want and if you want to cool your GPU as well. Its not very hard if you know where things go and how to do it. Your temperture will definitly be lower than the stock heatsink and will vary depending on your ambient temps. If watercooling isn't an option, for around $50 you could a Tuniq Tower or a Scythe Infinity, both very good heatsinks.
Deamon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Deamon321
50 for watercooling isn't worth it IMO. To get the most out of your watercooling you would most likely be spending between $100-$250 depending on the parts you want and if you want to cool your GPU as well. Its not very hard if you know where things go and how to do it. Your temperture will definitly be lower than the stock heatsink and will vary depending on your ambient temps. If watercooling isn't an option, for around $50 you could a Tuniq Tower or a Scythe Infinity, both very good heatsinks.
newguy957
hmmm... would these drop the temperature significantly???
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
They would drop the temp at least with 5-10°C, but in case all doesn't run stable with your current temps or you intend to heavily OC, it's not worth it.
bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
Liquid Cooling isnt really worth it. If you want it cooler just get another fan and put it in there.
Deamon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Deamon321
MAN I FEEL SO BAD!!!! WHEN TEH COMPANY WAS CONFIGURING MY COMP THEY ASKED IF I WANTED LIQUID COOLING IN THERE FOR 40 BUX EXTRA AND MY STUPID BRO SAID ITS USELESS. I SHOULDVE GOTTEN IT!!!
dejo256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dejo256
Member since 2005 • 2580 Posts
^ for $40 for water cooling its probably crap but who knows.
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
^ for $40 for water cooling its probably crap but who knows.dejo256
Indeed, going cheap on something delicate like this is ridiculous, $40 is the price of a water fountain, something that $40 is bound to turn into soon after it's installed...
Deamon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Deamon321
well i dono if its cheap or not but its this 1: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit + 2 EXTRA CASE FANS
jollyriot2k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 jollyriot2k1
Member since 2005 • 409 Posts
If you don't plan to overclock, of course it's completely pointless. An average water cooling setup will beat the pants off the best air cooling. The best air cooling will probably involve a very, very noisy CPU fan too, whereas water cooling is very quiet. Never get water cooling because you think it's just a cool feature. Bear in mind that you need to MAINTAIN a water cooling setup, you don't just set it up and forget about it.

If you don't want to overclock but want a quiet setup, get some decent quality heatsinks and put some quiet fans on them.
Deamon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Deamon321
If you don't plan to overclock, of course it's completely pointless. An average water cooling setup will beat the pants off the best air cooling. The best air cooling will probably involve a very, very noisy CPU fan too, whereas water cooling is very quiet. Never get water cooling because you think it's just a cool feature. Bear in mind that you need to MAINTAIN a water cooling setup, you don't just set it up and forget about it.

If you don't want to overclock but want a quiet setup, get some decent quality heatsinks and put some quiet fans on them.
jollyriot2k1
when u say maintain the water cooling setup... what do u have to do?
jollyriot2k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 jollyriot2k1
Member since 2005 • 409 Posts
The most basic maintenence involves just topping up the water reservoir.

You will, at some stage, have to clean the whole loop. Now, this depends heavily on WHAT you actually put in the system. If you use coolant with UV dyes and stuff then a sort of sludge starts to build up and you'll eventually have to clean it out, and refill the system. If you use distilled water with a little watter wetting solution then it'll be a while longer until you have to clean it, in this case a calcium buildup will occur in the tubes.

You don't have to do this very often at all but it does need to be done at some stage if you're running the same system for a couple years.
Vortimous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Vortimous
Member since 2006 • 490 Posts

well i dono if its cheap or not but its this 1: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit + 2 EXTRA CASE FANSDeamon321

The reason that only appears to be only 35 or 40 more is because it is already configured with cooling components like heat sinks and fans.  For just 35 or 40 dollars on top of what they were charging you for cooling you are getting a Liquid cooling system, but that means that they will probably remove some fans or heat sinks...  That is what is making a difference in price  you see this all the time at PC web sites such as www.cyberpowerpc.com and www.ibuypower.com and such...  The cooling system isnt costing you just 35 or 40 dollars, its 35 or 40 on top of what you would be paying for the other option...

batistafan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 batistafan99
Member since 2006 • 2592 Posts
I have liquid cooling, its really good to use if you OC a lot. And if you have the money
Deamon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Deamon321

[QUOTE="Deamon321"]well i dono if its cheap or not but its this 1: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit + 2 EXTRA CASE FANSVortimous

The reason that only appears to be only 35 or 40 more is because it is already configured with cooling components like heat sinks and fans.  For just 35 or 40 dollars on top of what they were charging you for cooling you are getting a Liquid cooling system, but that means that they will probably remove some fans or heat sinks...  That is what is making a difference in price  you see this all the time at PC web sites such as www.cyberpowerpc.com and www.ibuypower.com and such...  The cooling system isnt costing you just 35 or 40 dollars, its 35 or 40 on top of what you would be paying for the other option...

lol i got my PC from cyberpowerpc.com and ur saying they charge 40 bux more on top of the fans???
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
If you're going to overclock then yes, it's worth it.
Vortimous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Vortimous
Member since 2006 • 490 Posts

Not on top of the fans, but the price on cyberpowerpc.com goes up 35 or 40 dollars for chooseing the cooling system....  that doesnt mean the whole cooling system is just 35 or 40 dollars, its 35 or 40 dollars more to upgrade to that system with cooling.  That is all I am saying. 

By the way, how do you like your PC from cyberpowerpc?  Is it a good site to build a computer from?  They seem to have good prices and deals?  Are you happy with them?  Any problems???

Thanks

ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
youre temps are fine, and youre not overclocking, so save your money. i had loud fans once tho so i know what ya mean. just turn them down. liquid cooling will be good for your cpu, but keep in mind youll still need the other 3 fans in your case to cool your vid card and case and stuff, so its not worth the money
Deamon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Deamon321

Not on top of the fans, but the price on cyberpowerpc.com goes up 35 or 40 dollars for chooseing the cooling system....  that doesnt mean the whole cooling system is just 35 or 40 dollars, its 35 or 40 dollars more to upgrade to that system with cooling.  That is all I am saying. 

By the way, how do you like your PC from cyberpowerpc?  Is it a good site to build a computer from?  They seem to have good prices and deals?  Are you happy with them?  Any problems???

Thanks

Vortimous

Yeah, im very happy with it. Only problem was that one of my sticks of ram was defective and iit caused crashing but they happily sent me a new one in exchange for the defective 1. Very good company, very good prices.
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts

ok so my comp is pretty loud cuz of all the fans in it (liek 3-4) and i wanan get liqid cooling. what i want to know is :

Deamon321

1. No
2. Its the same installation on the board. AS for the rest of the setup, its a bit different, but its not hard.
3. It will drop your temps (depending on how good your setup is) to as low as room temperature.
4. Your E6400 should be idling in the early 30's. I suggest reseating and applying the paste again.  It should load at low 40s with no overclock, maybe even late 30s. 
Deamon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Deamon321
[QUOTE="Deamon321"]

9mmSpliff

1. No
2. Its the same installation on the board. AS for the rest of the setup, its a bit different, but its not hard.
3. It will drop your temps (depending on how good your setup is) to as low as room temperature.
4. Your E6400 should be idling in the early 30's. I suggest reseating and applying the paste again.  It should load at low 40s with no overclock, maybe even late 30s. 

Ok, i know how to reseat it but what paste? i didnt build this one myself (although i regret not doing so).
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 9mmSpliff
[QUOTE="9mmSpliff"][QUOTE="Deamon321"]

Deamon321

1. No

Ok, i know how to reseat it but what paste? i didnt build this one myself (although i regret not doing so).

The best paste is Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Ceramic. I suggest the Silver 5. I use it on my Northbridge, GPU, CPU and its dropped temps nicely.
Deamon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Deamon321
[QUOTE="Deamon321"][QUOTE="9mmSpliff"][QUOTE="Deamon321"]

9mmSpliff

1. No

The best paste is Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Ceramic. I suggest the Silver 5. I use it on my Northbridge, GPU, CPU and its dropped temps nicely.

where do i apply the gel? like around the cpu or on the fan or sumthin?
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 9mmSpliff
[QUOTE="9mmSpliff"][QUOTE="Deamon321"][QUOTE="9mmSpliff"][QUOTE="Deamon321"]

Deamon321

1. No

oh no. you ned to take the old Heatsink off, then clean off the CPU with 80-100% Isoproperyl. Or Arctic Cleaner from the ARctic company. Then apply the arctic silver 5 around teh size of a grain of rice, if not barely smaller. spread it around with a credit card or a business card and then apply the stock heastink on again. There are some other things you can do like lapping, where you sand out the groves on the heastink. 400 >> 600 >> 800 >> 1000 >> 2000grit wet/dry sandpaper. ITs automotive sandpaper. IT takes out the grooves and makes it shinier. That is why you go to such a fine grit, to buff out the scratches. IT will drop temps by around 5-7c. Thats extreme tho, if youre down for learning, no better way then a stock heatsink
Deamon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Deamon321
[QUOTE="Deamon321"][QUOTE="9mmSpliff"][QUOTE="Deamon321"][QUOTE="9mmSpliff"][QUOTE="Deamon321"]

9mmSpliff

1. No

oh no. you ned to take the old Heatsink off, then clean off the CPU with 80-100% Isoproperyl. Or Arctic Cleaner from the ARctic company. Then apply the arctic silver 5 around teh size of a grain of rice, if not barely smaller. spread it around with a credit card or a business card and then apply the stock heastink on again. There are some other things you can do like lapping, where you sand out the groves on the heastink. 400 >> 600 >> 800 >> 1000 >> 2000grit wet/dry sandpaper. ITs automotive sandpaper. IT takes out the grooves and makes it shinier. That is why you go to such a fine grit, to buff out the scratches. IT will drop temps by around 5-7c. Thats extreme tho, if youre down for learning, no better way then a stock heatsink

hmm im glad u toild me that, ill get soem of that silver 5 asap and clean the heatsink with arctic cleaner.
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 9mmSpliff
[QUOTE="9mmSpliff"][QUOTE="Deamon321"][QUOTE="9mmSpliff"][QUOTE="Deamon321"][QUOTE="9mmSpliff"][QUOTE="Deamon321"]

Deamon321

1. No

hmm im glad u toild me that, ill get soem of that silver 5 asap and clean the heatsink with arctic cleaner.

Glad to help. It will drop temps. IF it doesnt, then you know you have way too much on. Arctic Cleaner comes in a 2 stage solution. Stage 1 for cleaning then stage 2 is for purifying the heatsink and CPU heatspreader. I use it, I have used Isiproperyl before, but I dont mind spending an extra coouple of bucks on this stuff. Smells like oranges too....lol. But I have used it countless times and still is half full. Sorry for late post, but im at work.