Let's talk about the Kotor series (Spoilers)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alexlmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 alexlmt
Member since 2006 • 418 Posts

SPOILERS

So I just finished Kotor 2 and I feel the last level was just lazy. I know that the game was rushed but the pacing and level design of Trayus Academy was just bad. It was just room after room of Sith Assassins and Dark Jedi. However I really liked the boss fights with Sion and Kriela. Although I must say the ending is absolutely terrible.

Also, I'm probrably the only person on earth who really liked the fight with Nihilus and the Ravager level as a whole.

Overall, I'd say Kotor 1 is a better game though. While Kotor 2 had a better plot (excluding the ending), better rpg mechanics (imo), and better characters, I think Kotor 1 had better level design and a very charming world.

What do you guys think?

Also, I liked Dantooine better when it was orange.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

I totally agree with you, and it boggles my mind.

Technically, from a gameplay and plot standpoint, I thought KOTOR was much, much, much better than KOTOR 1. At least until, as you said, the last 1/4 of the game or so

However, for some odd reason...I just like KOTOR 1 better. I think it is the combination of level design and immersion. Star Wars is all about the environments.

alexlmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 alexlmt
I know right Kotor 1 just had a special charm. I don't know how to put it in words but it just made me want to play the game. I just felt so immersed in the game world. Also, are there any games like the Kotor series?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="alexlmt"]I know right Kotor 1 just had a special charm. I don't know how to put it in words but it just made me want to play the game. I just felt so immersed in the game world. Also, are there any games like the Kotor series?

Mass Effect series.
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

I agree with all of your guys' points. KoTOR 2 was darker, especially with the focus on Sith Lords. Then they really delved into the bounty hunter characters and the "criminal underworld" scene. KoTOR 1 was very old school in the way that it was almost straight-up fantasy. It was a story of a quest for redemption. KoTOR 2 was not that heroic.

KoTOR 2 I enjoy going back and playing now (better force powers and so on). I also want to add, the Ravager bit was awesome. I really liked finding the Mandalorians on the little moon, then coming in on the Onderon civil war and raiding the palace. Good good times.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

The last part of KOTOR II was really bleh, nothing got resolved and it just ended with Kreia talking about the fates of the characters.Although the boss fights were good.

Apart from that I'd say in some aspects that KOTOR II was superior to KOTOR such as (in my opinion) the characters, customization and plot. However I think KOTOR had better worlds. And yeah orange Dantooine > green Dantooine. The grey, depressing and dark plot in my opinion in KOTOR II was better than the typical Star Wars plot in KOTOR (it was still good though).

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

KOTOR 2 was actually unfinished because the douchebags in management wanted it to be rushed out. What idiot forces an unfinished game out I don't know but it happened. That's why the ending among other things made no since.

On the website fans of the game released mods that I think finished the game off but I'm not sure.

kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

KOTOR 1:

PROS:

+ Cool plot twist

+ First time you meet HK47

+ Calo Nord was such a cool bad-ass.

+ Overall better story than KOTOR 2 (but this is subjective, personally I liked KOTOR 2's story more.)

CONS:

- You don't start as a Jedi

- Carth was too whiny

- Jedi robes looked like crap

- Dark side actions were mostly bullying and/or killing. I want my manipulative sith options please! :P

KOTOR 2:

PROS:

+ You started as a jedi!

+ Kreia was one of the deepest characters I have ever had the pleasure of encountering in any game across any genre.

+ There were Jedi robes that looked like the ones from the movie!

+ Overall better gameplay than KOTOR 1 (barring bugs)

CONS:

- Obviously unfinished and pretty buggy unless you get some of the patches and mods (THANK GOD FOR PC GAMING!)

- Bao Dur. Ech.

- The textures in KOTOR 1 looked so much better than in KOTOR 2. Possibly a result of the game being rushed?

- Dark side options were still about bullying/killing. It's not too satisfying to play dark side because of this.

IMO, I could compare KOTOR 1 to Baldur's Gate 2 in that it's a fine game and a timeless classic with everything you would expect from an RPG: Awesome set pieces, memorable characters and great gameplay. KOTOR 2 on the other hand would be akin to Planescape: Torment, where, although combat was ridiculously easy, dialog was important and story was everything.

Just play them both, it's going to be a blast!

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vesica_Prime

- Bao Dur. Ech.

kimkim01

Just wondering what didn't you like about him? Just curious because I found him a rather decent character.

alexlmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 alexlmt

[QUOTE="kimkim01"]

To be honest I didn't really like Bao Dur either. I didn't find him that useful of a squad member and his personality doesn't really stand out. I did like his Walton Simons voice though.

[QUOTE="dreDREb13"][QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="alexlmt"]I know right Kotor 1 just had a special charm. I don't know how to put it in words but it just made me want to play the game. I just felt so immersed in the game world. Also, are there any games like the Kotor series?Vesica_Prime

Mass Effect series.

Dragon Age is the most like it, though, what with the silent character. Just in a fantasy setting. As for KotOR, both games were phenomenal, but KotOR II was just unfinished, which is just a shame. I loved everything about both of them, but I highly recommend downloading Darth Stoney's TSLRCM Mod, which puts in a ton of content that was cut from the game (including a more satisfying ending that gives some actual closure [sort of]).

Thanks for the suggestions. I installed the TSLRCM mod but I still got the vanilla game ending for some reason. I didn't get to go to the HK factory either.
I've already played both Mass Effect games so I guess it's time to finish up Dragon Age.

Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
i rly enjoyed Kotor 2 , story was rly deep and full of consipracy and surprises :)
kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

[QUOTE="kimkim01"]

- Bao Dur. Ech.

Vesica_Prime

Just wondering what didn't you like about him? Just curious because I found him a rather decent character.

I just can't quite put a finger on it, maybe it has more to do with his uselessness than his actual character, but I avoided him like the plague even during my first playthrough. :P he does have a nice voice though.
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vesica_Prime

[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

[QUOTE="kimkim01"]

- Bao Dur. Ech.

kimkim01

I just can't quite put a finger on it, maybe it has more to do with his uselessness than his actual character, but I avoided him like the plague even during my first playthrough. :P he does have a nice voice though.

Ahhhh ok, I liked him since he was the guy I used to make all my attachments, unlock and hack stuff. And yeah I found his dry humour rather amusing.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

[QUOTE="kimkim01"][QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

Vesica_Prime

Ahhhh ok, I liked him since he was the guy I used to make all my attachments, unlock and hack stuff. And yeah I found his dry humour rather amusing.

i didnt like his voice or attitude, personally...not enough anger, and he seemed like a goodie two shoes.

And whats with that small droid? Thats like toting around a chihauhau