laptop upgrade help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

scarred_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1 scarred_fox
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

i started playing skyrim and boy am i addicted. thing is i want to play the game to its full potential. i am currently playing on HIGH default settings. anything higher than that and my game has a one second lag response time.

i currntly run sager laptop with intel i7@2.0ghz, GPU is nvidia 460m@1.5gb with 4gb ram@1333. i am looking to upgarde my CPU/GPU with the following: intel i7@2.4ghz and gpu will be nvidia 580M
@2gb. both together will cost close to or over $1000.

i'm asking the publics' opinion on whether i should get both upgardes or just one of them. my laptop can run most demanding games: i.e BF3 and skyrim but the DX11 settings slows my system down. so with that said is it a CPU issue or a GPU ???

thanks in advance:D

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
1- if ur playing on HIGH settings then it should be fine, looks great on high. 2- one second response time? are u sure? is it noticeable? 3- Most laptops can't be upgraded (CPU and GPU), are you sure urs can. If so you could go with the newer video card, I wouldn't even bother with the CPU. Have u got a 64bit Windows? If so, you can also look into going to 8GB RAM. 4- If you are playing most games on high, I wouldn't spend money on upgrading but saving for a new laptop in the future (or desktop). 5- Next time post in Hardware Forum.
scarred_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3 scarred_fox
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

thanks for the reply. turned out that my gpu shared some of my sytem ram leaving me with 2.3gb of ram for software. i bought a 4gb stick and have it installed already giving me 6gb of ram for my software. game runs smoother on ultra but i still have a half second lag between my keystrokes and the character movement but it only happens on ultra setting. it may be the ultra shadow setings or 16xAA setting. before i had it dropped to 8xAA and shadows on high and my character speed was faster in response.

anyway i may stay with my 460 gtx gpu since i don't believe 2012 has games that will push my system settings, unless there is a crysis 3, bf4 etc. i work and live overseas so desktops are not in my plans and as for a new laptop, i'd be better off upgrading my system to a 580 gtx for $700 as oppose to buying a new system with the same card for $2000

thanks for the input

Vlaimir_Lem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#4 Vlaimir_Lem86
Member since 2006 • 439 Posts
just FYI, you cant really upgrade a laptop. Memory/HDD being the exception. Motherboard, motherboard placement, as well as room within the laptop hinder many upgrades. Getting your hands on those upgrades would also be difficult. Aside from the G-card upgrade (you would notice a difference), you wouldnt see much difference at all. Upgrade your memory (should be very easy), and leave it at that. All of the other upgrades you intend to do, you could just buy yourself a new laptop.