Lack of Dinosaur games! Your thoughts?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 creaturemagic
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts

So, I have noticed a lack of good Dinosaur games in recent times. There is only one dinosaur game I have managed to find that is in development and thatshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45JsB9y946o&feature=player_embedded.
Now although I think that footage looks awesome and Primal Carnage will be a day one buy for me, its multiplayer only. Now thats not a bad thing, I like multiplayer, its incredibly rewarding killing other real players and lots of fun can be had. I just wish there were more single player, maybe RPG, dinosaur games, eg and Elder Scrolls game with dinosaurs. Anyway, I just wanted your thoughts on the lack of Dino games and whether you want more Dinosaur games. Cheers!

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts
They've been attempted, but have been commercial failures. It just takes a developer with a good imagination. Just running around shooting every dinosaur in sight is not my idea of fun. It needs to play differently than a COD game with dinosaurs. There is a Jurassic Park game soon to be released. It's not a shooter, instead it plays similarly to games like Heavy Rain or Indigo Prophecy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEJpGscYevg
The_Ronin129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Ronin129
Member since 2010 • 191 Posts
It seems the genre is extinct...
Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

Been done. Check out Dino D-Day on Steam.

jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jfcundiff
Member since 2007 • 6365 Posts

I would love to see this done properly for BF3.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

BF3 needs Dinosaur mode.

NEEDS!!

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

I will add to your sentiment and say, too many zombie games and mods, not enough dinosaurs. Developers need to realize, dinosaurs are a lot more fun and dynamic than zombies.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

The last few attempts have not been very well-received. One of my favourite dino games was Trespasser... though by favourite, well.. I could not get very far. The game was bound to give me a heart attack if I continued. It's amazing what some game design can do to make you scared for your life without relying on darkness and gloomy tricks and surprises.

I'd kill for a new Trespasser game tbh, or something beyond that. I like games that make some effort to side towards realism.. dino-realism.. :D

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

I don't know, Orion: Prelude looks pretty interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W9dSxQd3gU

And I wouldn't mind another Turok game, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter was epic.

ZombiezLovePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ZombiezLovePie
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts

Lol, think the genre died in the 90's. Last attempt I remember was that newest Turok.

toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 toddx77
Member since 2008 • 3395 Posts

I would love some more dinosaur games because as much as I love zombies, dinosaurs could be a bit more interesting. I think developers just need to find the right element for the game and story. A game I would really like to see would be a mixture of dead island and jurassic park. It would be about an island that has a dinosaur zoo like jurassic park but it instead of the story beingbefore the park opens the dinosaurs will have gotten out while the park was in business. At first the story would be about surviving, saving other vistors, and trying to contact rescue. Then the story would get deeper when you discover terrorsits on the island and they are the ones who released the dinosaurs. Their plan is to capture dinosaurs to release on western countries as well as take the dino dna to breed their own dinosaurs to train. So you would have to stop the terrorists as well by killing them before they can escape the island with the dinosaurs. If any game developer reads this please feel free to take this idea and make this game lol.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
Since we're talking about dinosaurs.... could you guys tell me about good PC games that have dinosaurs in?
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

They're going at it in a way that fails, pretty much all dinosaur games have the evil flesh eating dinosaurs vs the meaty special marine units that fight that evil. It's just a terrible take on this whole thing.

I don't know what concepts might work best, because there are things you wouldn't expect to enjoy and in the end you end up loving a certain take on an idea, but I would personally think an open world game, with a more cartoonish atmosphere but at the same time a little serious would be awesome, something like Ice Age, but with characters like Indiana Jones not marines and such as for pure combat something like Transformers in the Beast Wars would be great or with some hulks of humans like Space Marines vs Dinosaurs for a vicious combat game like everyone tries to make with marines vs dinosaurs that ultimately fail hard.

creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 creaturemagic

They're going at it in a way that fails, pretty much all dinosaur games have the evil flesh eating dinosaurs vs the meaty special marine units that fight that evil. It's just a terrible take on this whole thing.

I don't know what concepts might work best, because there are things you wouldn't expect to enjoy and in the end you end up loving a certain take on an idea, but I would personally think an open world game, with a more cartoonish atmosphere but at the same time a little serious would be awesome, something like Ice Age, but with characters like Indiana Jones not marines and such as for pure combat something like Transformers in the Beast Wars would be great or with some hulks of humans like Space Marines vs Dinosaurs for a vicious combat game like everyone tries to make with marines vs dinosaurs that ultimately fail hard.

DanielDust

I sort of agree, I want an open world game with Dinosaurs. In fact I hope someone makes a Skyrim mod that implements Dino's. But yeah A free-roam dinoasaur game. And Ice age sort of idea could work well, you are right, everyone is trying the uber scary real looking approach. Why not go the other way, make a nice fun cartoony game. I mean it's like TF2. Everyone is making CoD clones that are suppose to look real, whereas Valve made a cartoon game and yet its one of the best and most played FPS's.
Edit: In fact I would love it if Valve made a Dino game.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Everyone loves the idea of it then gets all exited and jolly over the memes, thinking it would make a great game. Reality is it usually doesn't, even that Primal Carnage game looks like it might have some design issues attached, and if you want two examples of how bad it can be - there's Dino D-Day and Jurassic Park Trespasser (which is an amazing innovative concept). That and they're commercial failures usually - the N64 Turok games being an exception, the recent Turok game being another example.
Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

At the end of the day a dinosaur is a animal so are pretty much limited in how they can fight you, look at when you play a FPS and there is a dog what does it do? run up to you and tries to bite.

All dino enemies have to fight at melee combat so this limits the game a lot. Yes you can have different foes with different size but nearly all fightswill be the same keep your distant and fight at range. You can't give a dinosaur a gun or a grenade or sword and fight it tactical can you?

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Dino Crisis is still the champ in that genre. :)

but we do need more, let's hope JP is good.

commander1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 commander1122
Member since 2005 • 1165 Posts

battlefield : dinosaur :D

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
Previous gen or even before that there were some dino games like turok and carnivors, the gen before that had dino crisis. There's a turok game release in 2008. It only get's a 6 for pc and a 7 for xbox360. That's probably because there were some glitches upon release for the pc version. The user score gets 7.1. I played the demo and found it a good dino game. Now that you mention it, i will have to pick that up. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/turok/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B0 Crysis had started a mod called jurassic park but it was cancelled , it looked good though. There's a jurassic park game coming to us still this year though. Gamespot says release date q4 2011. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/jurassic-park-the-game/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B1 I somewhat looking forward to it myself :)
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#20 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

They really need to make another Dino Crises game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46498 Posts

That game looks great but so did Dino D-Day and that didn't turn out to be very good.

Everyone loves the idea of it then gets all exited and jolly over the memes, thinking it would make a great game. Reality is it usually doesn't, even that Primal Carnage game looks like it might have some design issues attached, and if you want two examples of how bad it can be - there's Dino D-Day and Jurassic Park Trespasser (which is an amazing innovative concept). That and they're commercial failures usually - the N64 Turok games being an exception, the recent Turok game being another example. skrat_01

Did Turok have any sort of multiplayer ?

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

It sucks, I love dinosaurs.

KnocturnalGS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KnocturnalGS
Member since 2011 • 28 Posts

Dino Crisis was fun. Resident Evil style game except you you get spooked by dinosaurs.

creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 creaturemagic

So, anyone heard of any new Dino games?

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

Instead of constantly dragging dinosaurs into the modern age against military hardware, they need to turn the idea on its head and drag an ordinary modern town back into the Triassic/Jurassic period. Imagine a town of ordinary people having to fight off dinosaurs with very limited weapons, especially guns. Erecting barricades, scavenging the town for weapons and food, then having to explore the wider environment when water/food runs low.

Kind of like Dead Island meets Jurassic Park.

creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 creaturemagic

Instead of constantly dragging dinosaurs into the modern age against military hardware, they need to turn the idea on its head and drag an ordinary modern town back into the Triassic/Jurassic period. Imagine a town of ordinary people having to fight off dinosaurs with very limited weapons, especially guns. Erecting barricades, scavenging the town for weapons and food, then having to explore the wider environment when water/food runs low.

Kind of like Dead Island meets Jurassic Park.

RobertBowen

Sounds like it could be quite fun :)

rben21232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rben21232
Member since 2007 • 568 Posts

I LOVE when people necro threads!

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

A survival game featuring dinosaurs is on my top 3 of most wanted games!

Dinosaurs are totally underutilized in games! Screw zombies, getting chased in a long hallway by some velociraptors hunting you down, now that's some good stuff.

dav2693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dav2693
Member since 2010 • 423 Posts

A survival game featuring dinosaurs is on my top 3 of most wanted games!

Dinosaurs are totally underutilized in games! Screw zombies, getting chased in a long hallway by some velociraptors hunting you down, now that's some good stuff.

xWoW_Rougex

That would be awesome, let's hope in the future we get something like that.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11790 Posts

I don't know, Orion: Prelude looks pretty interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W9dSxQd3gU

And I wouldn't mind another Turok game, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter was epic.

Zubinen

This, but please make it more like Turok Dinosaur Hunter.

2 was good too, but the latest Turok (named just Turok) was a bit of a let down... (started out pretty good, and got real dumb)

Need to go back to the more Dinosaur Hunter Roots.

I have Turok sit real close to Duke Nukem.. and honestly a new Turok I feel would end up like DNF..

I would love to see these old series rebooted, Duke Nukem and Turok (proper) along with stuff like Shadow Warrior, or Blood. But without the COD/BF effect thrown all over it.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
No Dinosaurs in the Bible; strange coincidence?
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lach0121

No Dinosaurs in the Bible; strange coincidence?SKaREO

But you put Dinosaur in your vehicle to transport yourself back and forth.

OR at least that was the wide assumption for a long time, may have found new information since that I haven't seen yet.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

No Dinosaurs in the Bible; strange coincidence?SKaREO
There are dinosaurs in the Bible, coincidence? most likely, God just didn't want to give you a chance at making valid posts yet.

visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#35 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
I agree, we need more dinosaur games, modes, and mods.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

we need a proper dino crysis with updated gameplay and graphics. dino crysis 1 and 2 were just awesome

thphaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 thphaca
Member since 2005 • 202 Posts

If anyone can do it, Crytek can. I think the reason it's always been avoided is because rendering a jungle is a difficult task, both from a modeling and rendering perspective. Crysis clearly demonstrated that it can be done, and look pretty good too.

Imagine huge dinosaurs on that island. It would have been the perfect game to implement them IMO, as long as there was a good reason for them to be there.. Regardless, it's a bit late in the story arch to be able to add them I think, unless there's some time travel device involved. [grin]

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lach0121

we need a proper dino crysis with updated gameplay and graphics. dino crysis 1 and 2 were just awesome

Krelian-co

Agreed, they were great games, especially 2.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
i got it dinosours with mechs
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#40 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

They should make a Jurrasic Park game where it's in first person and you're on one of the islands, which would be huge and you'd be able to explore. It would make for a good co-op game.

TheGrudge13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 TheGrudge13
Member since 2009 • 1198 Posts

BF3 needs Dinosaur mode.

bf3dinomode.jpg

NEEDS!!

C_Rule
if they do that i'll buy it on my PC and abandon my PS3's version in a heart beat
visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#42 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]i got it dinosours with mechs

Dinosaurs vs mechs or dinosaurs that use mechs? Because I think the latter would be very cool, but wouldn't mind the first either.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="visceron"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]i got it dinosours with mechs

Dinosaurs vs mechs or dinosaurs that use mechs? Because I think the latter would be very cool, but wouldn't mind the first either.

both are awesome
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

When I was a kid I used to play with these toys guys that rode dinosaurs on saddles with rocket launchers and stuff, I think it was called Dino-riders.

I also used to watch this cartoon called dinosaucers.

Those would be awesome as a game.

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
jurassic necro thread...
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I will add to your sentiment and say, too many zombie games and mods, not enough dinosaurs. Developers need to realize, dinosaurs are a lot more fun and dynamic than zombies.

Falconoffury
There isn't such a thing as too many Zombie mods. People can't get enough, as Arma 2 DayZ proves this, along with some others. It comes down to how many QUALITY zombie games and mods are out there. Sure, many developers try to make great zombie games, but many have failed. Only a select few really standout above the crowd. After all that, there still isn't that definitive zombie survival game. The gaming world is still waiting.
Mizeak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mizeak
Member since 2011 • 114 Posts

Orion: Dino Beatdown anyone? http://store.steampowered.com/app/104900/

Sry if repost.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JigglyWiggly_

Sry if repost.

Mizeak
wo that looks like it may be good
Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts
[QUOTE="Mizeak"]

Sry if repost.

JigglyWiggly_

Plus it's only $10. It comes out in like an hour so I think I'll be getting it.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Mizeak"]

Sry if repost.

Croag821

Plus it's only $10. It comes out in like an hour so I think I'll be getting it.

i duno if i wana pay for it after reading dis http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/g2sol/david_prassel_creator_of_orion_prelude_receives/