Kotor mmp.......... Going to ****

This topic is locked from further discussion.

machockey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 machockey
Member since 2004 • 320 Posts
does anyone have any faith in this? I loved, LOVED, the first two games but they just completely changing their formula to make the next one, seems crazy to me! Not that im opposed to a new starwars mmo... i just dont want them to **** with the one thing that made kotor really successful, its gameplay and story. I mean how are we going to progress the story in the mmo? What do you all think?
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

does anyone have any faith in this? I loved, LOVED, the first two games but they just completely changing their formula to make the next one, seems crazy to me! Not that im opposed to a new starwars mmo... i just dont want them to **** with the one thing that made kotor really successful, its gameplay and story. I mean how are we going to progress the story in the mmo? What do you all think?machockey

Well quite honestly, I have serious doubts about this game. Not saying it will necessarily be a bad MMO, but I really don't buy the lofty claims from Bioware stating that the game will be heavily story driven unlike any other MMO before. How can that possibly work in an MMO environment? They stated they didn't go with KOTOR 3 because the game will have enough content to count as KOTOR 3, 4, 5, 6... etc. combined. I just really can't see that happening. Oh sure, I'm sure that overall, the game will be BIGGER and have a lot of content, but I just can't see it straying much from the typical MMO formula.

The nail in the coffin for me was the fact that they are using a class based system. Getting sooo tired of the same old EQ/WoW formula for all new MMO's. Why can't devs do something different? I was hoping they'd do a skill/profession system, sort of like what SWG was before SOE killed it with the CU and NGE. If they REALLY want'ed to set themselves apart from the competition, ditch the class system.

I really don't want to play WoW with lightsabers.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

[QUOTE="machockey"]does anyone have any faith in this? I loved, LOVED, the first two games but they just completely changing their formula to make the next one, seems crazy to me! Not that im opposed to a new starwars mmo... i just dont want them to **** with the one thing that made kotor really successful, its gameplay and story. I mean how are we going to progress the story in the mmo? What do you all think?zomglolcats

Well quite honestly, I have serious doubts about this game. Not saying it will necessarily be a bad MMO, but I really don't buy the lofty claims from Bioware stating that the game will be heavily story driven unlike any other MMO before. How can that possibly work in an MMO environment? They stated they didn't go with KOTOR 3 because the game will have enough content to count as KOTOR 3, 4, 5, 6... etc. combined. I just really can't see that happening. Oh sure, I'm sure that overall, the game will be BIGGER and have a lot of content, but I just can't see it straying much from the typical MMO formula.

The nail in the coffin for me was the fact that they are using a class based system. Getting sooo tired of the same old EQ/WoW formula for all new MMO's. Why can't devs do something different? I was hoping they'd do a skill/profession system, sort of like what SWG was before SOE killed it with the CU and NGE. If they REALLY want'ed to set themselves apart from the competition, ditch the class system.

I really don't want to play WoW with lightsabers.

THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME!!!!!!!

:P

anyways, i think that stories CAN work in mmo's, like lotro(which didn't have the same addictiveness as wow but makes you feel immersed). and i think a ****system is good IF they can also mix it up a little with skills/professions. imo it should take a nod from both formulas.

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

they are just using the name to suck kotor fans' blood.

Sordidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Sordidus
Member since 2008 • 2036 Posts
This is not even a KOTOR game, it's a MMO based on the franchise. Even the title is The Old Republic, not Knights Of The Old Republic.
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts
It might be the first MMO I'd actually play
lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts
There's not going to be issues with coming up with more story like in lord of the rings or SWG at least. I could see something like the story done in a episodic release every month. Honestly though mmos are not the best medium for telling a story though so I do agree on that point. But Bioware realizes that too so they could have something up their sleeve to remedy the situation. Either way I think its best just to wait and see how it turns out. After all sitting around complaining about it on a internet forum isn't going to change anything.
Xefiroderc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xefiroderc
Member since 2007 • 236 Posts

The nail in the coffin for me was the fact that they are using a class based system. Getting sooo tired of the same old EQ/WoW formula for all new MMO's.

zomglolcats

You mean they're going to use the Tank/Healer/DPS formula? That's going to break the game, whatever class type the Jedi/Sith are inserted into will be the dominant class type, we'll have 1 non-Jedi class player for every 100 Jedi. o.o

A Starwars MMO can't have a standard WoW formula while including Jedi and non-Jedi classes, they should either make every class a type of Jedi/Sith (e.g. Jedi Consulars, Sith Assassins, Jedi Sentinels, etc.) or just come up with a whole different formula, IMO.

lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lenson
Or jedi/sith could be something your character has to earn. I see nothing wrong with that. A person would then be forced to work for it.
Xefiroderc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Xefiroderc
Member since 2007 • 236 Posts
I guess that making Jedi/Sith a prestige class like Deathknight in WoW could work aswell, forgot about that.
lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lenson
I don't know cause I never played SWG, but according to some people I talked to who played the game,they use to do something like that for jedi in SWG, but then a whole bunch of people complained that it was too hard to become a jedi so Sony caved and made it a class you can start off as. For alot of people I heard that ruined the game for them. Cause Jedi was a pretty powerful class and that sort of signified all the hard work they went through. I think its a good exmaple where sometimes its not always best to listen to the players. Either way I think anything that doesn't require hardwork is not really worth having.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

does anyone have any faith in this? I loved, LOVED, the first two games but they just completely changing their formula to make the next one, seems crazy to me! Not that im opposed to a new starwars mmo... i just dont want them to **** with the one thing that made kotor really successful, its gameplay and story. I mean how are we going to progress the story in the mmo? What do you all think?machockey

Making gobs of money seems crazy to you? Ok.

Making it an MMO, will guarantee them more money in subscriptions than they can get making a new game every two years.

fubbal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 377

#13 fubbal
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts

This is BIOWARE were talking about!I don't think you have anything to worry about.They said that they want to make the story a bigger part in the mmo so that way your not going brain dead from doing the same old kill so many of these,gather so many of these bla bla bla!I'm going to go so far as to say that I think this game will be a revolution,and a stepping stone for future mmo's.

Also I am a star wars fanatic and a huge fan of kotor,and I was like what?Where's kotor 3?Then I thought about it and said to myself hmm whats better than an 60-80 hour rpg? How about one that I can play for months,maybe even a couple of years!

I just hope that you can have multiple characters on one server.I also hope there are alot of planets,species and classes!

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zomglolcats

This is BIOWARE were talking about!I don't think you have anything to worry about.They said that they want to make the story a bigger part in the mmo so that way your not going brain dead from doing the same old kill so many of these,gather so many of these bla bla bla!I'm going to go so far as to say that I think this game will be a revolution,and a stepping stone for future mmo's.

Also I am a star wars fanatic and a huge fan of kotor,and I was like what?Where's kotor 3?Then I thought about it and said to myself hmm whats better than an 60-80 hour rpg? How about one that I can play for months,maybe even a couple of years!

I just hope that you can have multiple characters on one server.I also hope there are alot of planets,species and classes!

fubbal

Well for starters, Bioware has never made an MMO before. Not that it means anything, Blizzard never made an MMO before WoW. While it might be good and possibly a change of pace, I'm not going to hold my breath on it being a revolution or stepping stone for future MMO's. I hope they prove me wrong, but too many companies have made lofty claims about how great their MMO is going to be and completely failed to deliver.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zomglolcats
[QUOTE="zomglolcats"]

The nail in the coffin for me was the fact that they are using a class based system. Getting sooo tired of the same old EQ/WoW formula for all new MMO's.

Xefiroderc

You mean they're going to use the Tank/Healer/DPS formula? That's going to break the game, whatever class type the Jedi/Sith are inserted into will be the dominant class type, we'll have 1 non-Jedi class player for every 100 Jedi. o.o

A Starwars MMO can't have a standard WoW formula while including Jedi and non-Jedi classes, they should either make every class a type of Jedi/Sith (e.g. Jedi Consulars, Sith Assassins, Jedi Sentinels, etc.) or just come up with a whole different formula, IMO.

Well, not sure if they are actually going to use Tank/Healer/DPS system, but I do know it's class based. They stated that there is the Jedi class, you can apparently choose from the beginning. So, no progression to becoming a jedi from what little we know. Granted, a LOT can change from now until this game goes live, and we really don't know much of anything about it. I hope they pull off a good Star Wars MMO as I'm still ticked off at SOE for destroying SWG. You'd think of all franchises that could be made into a good MMO, that Star Wars would be a perfect fit, and it is, as long as the development team knows what they are doing. Bioware is a competent single player RPG developer. I hope they can make a successful transition into the MMO market.

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

I've never seen any official statements from Bioware stating this was supposed to be KotOR 3. In fact, they did say it is set 200 years after the events in the single player game. That would leave plenty of room from LucasArts to hire another studio to do KotOR 3.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zomglolcats

I've never seen any official statements from Bioware stating this was supposed to be KotOR 3. In fact, they did say it is set 200 years after the events in the single player game. That would leave plenty of room from LucasArts to hire another studio to do KotOR 3.

Drosa

Well what they DID officially say is that they thought about doing KOTOR 3, but wanted to tell a much bigger story, and that the MMO would have the content of a KOTOR 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. combined.

That's left up to interpretation though. Doesn't rule out a KOTOR 3 entirely.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

It's gonna ROCK

Accept it...and play it

SemperFi10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SemperFi10
Member since 2004 • 3139 Posts
I'll certainly give The Old Republic a shot. However this game is not a KOTOR game- it's a TOR game. I'm pretty disappointed by Bioware though. I've never found an MMO that I've enjoyed, and KOTOR was my favorite game of all time. I don't believe that TOR will be as immersive as a single player game, even though it is Bioware making it. Anyway, I'm disappointed, but I still have hope that maybe it'll be a good game in it's own right. Hell, maybe I'll finally find a MMO worth playing.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zomglolcats

It's gonna ROCK

Accept it...and play it

FelipeInside

I hope you are right. But at this point, it's anybody's guess because we really don't know much of anything about the actual game itself.