Join The Gamespot Folding Team!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nirgali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#901 Nirgali
Member since 2012 • 95 Posts

Which Is Better IGN.COM Or GameSpot Or GamesRadar , GameTrailers Get 10 points 1?elisaevedent

Huh? o.O

By the way, I personally do not care what size of projects I get because, if I can crunch them, I -will- crunch them. I care more about a cure for these ailments than my stats. Both of my maternal grandparents had alzheimers. That is the reason I do it. I threw my clients into the gamespot team just because and we'll leave it at that. Btw, now I have a macbook pro, an asus G51 series laptop, the three gaming PCs you already know about and hopefully soon a PS3. So, that makes an ubuntu 12.04, a Mac OS X Lion, and a handful of Windows 7 hosts on my folding account. It would be nice if I could get the xbox on there but even if I could, I wouldn't want to risk overheating it to the point of no return.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#902 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127507 Posts
Two of my grandparents have/had alzheimers too. :(
Nirgali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#903 Nirgali

I think I will put my evga geforce 9800 gtx back in my old-gaming-pc-turned-ubuntu-linux-server to give it more folding umph. I hope it will be recoginized without install a bunch of xorg crap.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#904 horgen  Moderator

Yeah, folding during the cold months are the BEST!! Having your PC act as a space heater is killing two birds with one stone.

Although, really, I have no right to talk about cold months. I've never lived in a place where "truly" cold months happen.

Also, team rank 439. Woot!

You know, with our new team PPD we've really got some decent upward momentum. I don't know where the wall is for this PPD, but we don't seem to be anywhere near it yet. The teams that appear on our conquest list are still sooner than our soonest threat.

man_hammer
I looked at the teams list. It seems we have a fairly good chance of reaching top 400 if we keep this up. Not so many making 50k plus per day among the next 100 ahead of us. Still it will require millions of points though so this is months worth of work. Or years...
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#905 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
Seems like right now there are only about 7 people on the team that fold. With my GPU finally folding i think i can increase my points per month but it's also dependent of course on what my cpu gets. Hopefully i can do maybe 60-75K a month.
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#906 man_hammer
Member since 2002 • 450 Posts

We've got a nice solid core of people with respectable PPD.

I messaged JodyR, and she offered to feature the team in an upcoming Community News article. I'm not sure when (or if) it will actually appear, but it would be great to get a few more members consistently folding. I'm interested in a consistently high number of active members (although PPD is nice too).

It would also be great to have any new members know where the team can communicate, namely here. Having a place where we can talk, encourage, and inspire eachother will lead to a better sense of community and therefore more consistent participation.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#907 horgen  Moderator
Excellent idea MH.
Nirgali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#908 Nirgali

Agreed!

Ermagerd! I just looked at the team list, I have been doing really well since I started keeping my computer on over night. Cheers to our team! We can do eeet! Now for that 9800gtx...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#909 horgen  Moderator
Added a passkey to my client on PC. Dunno if that is why my PPD dropped :?
Nirgali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#910 Nirgali

Holy crap. NVIDIA is going to overtake us in about 8 or 9 days at their current rate if we stay at +5 weekly. I'm going to add that video card to my server now.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=58812

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#911 Kurushio
Considering just 1 person on that team is even folding that says something. It said his 24hr average is 223K!!!!
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#912 man_hammer

Holy crap. NVIDIA is going to overtake us in about 8 or 9 days at their current rate if we stay at +5 weekly. I'm going to add that video card to my server now.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=58812

Nirgali

I wouldn't sweat it too much. There are teams that are out of our reach to compete with.

As long as we can pass up our "team conquests" faster than our "team threats" can pass us we'll be okay.

Also, let's remember that our team was treading water at roughly team rank 450 for a pretty long time. We,re about to reach team rank 435 and maybe beyond. We're doing terrific. My hope is that our efforts will inspire others to join the team or become active again.

Also, congratulations on taking the top spot, Nirgali. You had a 47.5K day yesterday! That's fantastic!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#913 horgen  Moderator
He should join our team!
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#914 man_hammer

Wait a second, newcomer alaro had a 21K day yesterday.

He doesn't produce points everyday, but, that's a solid 24h performance.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#916 horgen  Moderator

Wait a second, newcomer alaro had a 21K day yesterday.

He doesn't produce points everyday, but, that's a solid 24h performance.

man_hammer
That and Nirgali's increased ppd may explain why we got a 143k one day. Also isn.t our daily ppd closing in on h 100k average now?
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#917 man_hammer
That 147K day was incredible, but also a statistical outlier. The major contributors happened to all have one of their best folding days all at the same time. I think the way that this particular site calculates the average PPD is to take an average of the last 7 daily PPDs. So once that 147K falls out of range our average will go down again. Our real average, unless something changes, is probably going to fall around 75K-80K. In order to keep up with you guys I've been running my PC nearly 24h a day. My hardware just isn't able to turn out 12K+ only running 8h a day. Funny thing is I just upgraded so my PPD probably isn't goin to get a hardware boost anytime soon.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#918 horgen  Moderator
I am running it for 12-14 hours a day. Sometimes 16 hours. When I sleep at my gf's place i suddenly get a lot more time sine I don't turn it off for the night.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#919 horgen  Moderator
And we are now ranked number 435 with the next 5 within a week reach
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#920 man_hammer
It's amazing what our small amount of active members can pull off. I don't think Jody is going to put us in the community blog. For the record, she was the one who actually suggested it. I merely told her how well our folding team was doing. I don't want to bug them. I'm pretty sure this is their busiest time.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#921 horgen  Moderator
[QUOTE="man_hammer"]It's amazing what our small amount of active members can pull off. I don't think Jody is going to put us in the community blog. For the record, she was the one who actually suggested it. I merely told her how well our folding team was doing. I don't want to bug them. I'm pretty sure this is their busiest time.

Should have said yes. We have few but dedicated folders. Never thought I would pass half a million points this quick.
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#922 man_hammer
I did say yes...like...maybe...two weeks ago. I sent a reminder last week. I think they're just overwhelmed. Heck, maybe they did mention us and I just didn't see it. I'm pretty sure they didn't.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#923 Kurushio
This month i already have 64K points. I could double my best month ever at this rate.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#924 horgen  Moderator
This month i already have 64K points. I could double my best month ever at this rate.Kurushio
Good going. I am also making a new month record this month :D
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#925 horgen  Moderator
Oh sweet. Finally in the top 30K rank. :D
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#926 man_hammer

Bah...

Had a bad WU. I've actually never had one before so I didn't know what to do for a few days. Work has been kicking my butt so I wasn't able to do anything about it for awhile.

...back on track now.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#927 horgen  Moderator

Bah...

Had a bad WU. I've actually never had one before so I didn't know what to do for a few days. Work has been kicking my butt so I wasn't able to do anything about it for awhile.

...back on track now.

man_hammer
I was wondering what happened to you. Now the daily average is below 90K for the team :( What is a bad WU anyway?
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#928 man_hammer

It's a WU that, for whatever reason, errors and won't correct itself.

If you have a crazy powerful state-of-the-art PC, then you can run beta WUs for Stanford. The amount of bad WU will increase, but you can work closely with Stanford to make sure that bad WUs don't make it out for wide distribution. However, every now and again a bad one will slip by, or it will get corrupted in download, etc..

There's a folder called "work" located at "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient\" (at least in Windows 7) where the work unit data is kept. If you get a bad work unit, then shut down the client and delete this folder. You'll then download a new WU. Remember this is ONLY to delete bad work units.

If I get another one, then I'll know how to fix it faster. I just didn't have time to research it. I've been crazy busy. On the bright side, if anyone on the team gets one now I can point them in the right direction right away. That way their PPD average doesn't have to drop so significantly.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#929 horgen  Moderator
Ah okay. That sucks :(
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#930 man_hammer
Just to be clear...I don't have a crazy powerful PC. I'm not testing WUs for Stanford. I either got a bad WU that slipped by or a bad download.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#931 horgen  Moderator
[QUOTE="man_hammer"]Just to be clear...I don't have a crazy powerful PC. I'm not testing WUs for Stanford. I either got a bad WU that slipped by or a bad download.

If you had you would be getting over 100k a day, I know. The team hardware.no is one I've checked out a bit because I use the forums there. There is/was one user with nearly 2 million points per day and several with over 100k. They did a bit of testing I believe. Team is ranked number 17.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#932 horgen  Moderator
Set my GPU to client type beta in hope to get higher PPD. edit: Looks like I can get a 150K PPD easily now. If I get beta units or whatever, now I am down to 20K PPD again on my GPU :(
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#933 horgen  Moderator
I don't get them often, but when I do... :D
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#934 Kurushio
That's just cheating lol. Even with a 2 day WU it might be worth like 12-14K at the start. No way would i get a 3hr one worth anything like that.
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#935 man_hammer
That...is...awesome. I'm not sure I can take advantage of that, but can you outline the process of getting those. It can only help the team. I'm sure Nirgali can run those. Speaking of Nirgali, congratulations on passing 1 million. You da man.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#936 horgen  Moderator
That's just cheating lol. Even with a 2 day WU it might be worth like 12-14K at the start. No way would i get a 3hr one worth anything like that.Kurushio
[QUOTE="man_hammer"]That...is...awesome. I'm not sure I can take advantage of that, but can you outline the process of getting those. It can only help the team. I'm sure Nirgali can run those.

It is a beta WU as of now, get them rarely though. Before that one I had only gotten one of them. Today I got two, doing the second one now. I think you need a nVidia GPU that is 400 series or better. Go into config, then slots, click on the gpu... Wait read here. only point one and two are needed. The third option is to maximize points by simply starting to fold the new unit right away instead of having it waiting while you finish the few percent on the current WU. With a 460 I believe you can get about 80k ppd. Remember these are beta WUs. Edit: @kurushio it might be cheating, but plenty of people are doing it, so why not us aswell? Edit 2: I should have done two of them today, so by the next update I should be getting another 20K points. I do wonder why it takes a bit of time before I get those points though, the previous update should have gotten them.
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#937 man_hammer

horgen123, are you setting up the next-unit-percentage 100 slot?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#938 horgen  Moderator

horgen123, are you setting up the next-unit-percentage 100 slot?

man_hammer
Nope, the default is 99 and I am fine with that.
Nirgali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#939 Nirgali

Speaking of Nirgali, congratulations on passing 1 million. You da man.man_hammer

Thanks. Production is spotty these days asI -still- don't have internet at my new apartment and it has been three weeks. I have been using LTE mobile hotspot that I recently turned on, which means I only get to upload finished units when I go home in the evening.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#940 horgen  Moderator

[QUOTE="man_hammer"]Speaking of Nirgali, congratulations on passing 1 million. You da man.Nirgali

Thanks. Production is spotty these days asI -still- don't have internet at my new apartment and it has been three weeks. I have been using LTE mobile hotspot that I recently turned on, which means I only get to upload finished units when I go home in the evening.

oh that sucks :( Still you are getting work done. And congrats on the million points!
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#941 man_hammer
horgen!!!! You magnificent beast!!!! You're the #1 folder!
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#942 horgen  Moderator
[QUOTE="man_hammer"]horgen!!!! You magnificent beast!!!! You're the #1 folder!

Blame the lovely WUs I have been getting lately ^_^ 3 today
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#943 horgen  Moderator
What is up with the names on some of these projects? Working on Giving Russians Opium May Alter Current Situation. Really? Are we sure we are helping science with understanding protein folding and not some maniac which needs helps to simulate different situations if one alter one or more parameters from the real world situation? :P
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#944 Kurushio
Im going to go out on a limb and say this week will be our best week ever.
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#945 man_hammer

So, it looks like some of us are taking advantage of the beta WUs.

I entered in my passkey and I turned on the beta flag. I get WU that promise me 16K point, but I only get the base value of like 2K.

I looked it up on some forums and the consesus seems to be that once I activated my passkey it re-started my folding success percentage. So when I've finished folding a minimum of 10 WUs, if I have an 80% success rate, then my WUs will start to give me the bonus points again. Does this sound correct to anybody?

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#946 Kurushio
I've never heard of that but it would make sense. Last night i got my first beta unit and after that i got another. I decided to even leave my PC on all night to take advantage. Ive only just now got a normal but man what i ride. In one day i had 108K. This month alone is more than what ive done in the last year combined.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#947 horgen  Moderator

So, it looks like some of us are taking advantage of the beta WUs.

I entered in my passkey and I turned on the beta flag. I get WU that promise me 16K point, but I only get the base value of like 2K.

I looked it up on some forums and the consesus seems to be that once I activated my passkey it re-started my folding success percentage. So when I've finished folding a minimum of 10 WUs, if I have an 80% success rate, then my WUs will start to give me the bonus points again. Does this sound correct to anybody?

man_hammer
That sounds correct yes.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#948 horgen  Moderator
Im going to go out on a limb and say this week will be our best week ever.Kurushio
And it is by far. Over a million point this week guys. Path yourself on your shoulder :P
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#949 man_hammer

Okay, I'm finally getting bonus points again.

Man, folding for 1.25 days and only getting 1K points was brutal...or 8 hours for 128 points.

So now that my success rate is 80% after folding 10WU I'm getting the bonus points and beta WUs. I'm not getting as much as you guys folding with the 600 series NVida cards, but I am getting bonus points that should further increase our team's PPD.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#950 Kurushio
In this month alone i have made more than half my total points combining the several years ive done it lol. I knew my 660 Ti would be better than my 8800GT but not this good!