Is this a good monitor for gaming??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Stoogemeister10
Stoogemeister10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Stoogemeister10
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts
Hey i was checkin out this 19" 1400x900 monitor. It looks pretty sick, with very good reviews. When it says its a 19"monitor is that 19" of pure screen, or 17" plus 2 inches of plastic bordering? Anyway im looking for fast fast frame rate with no ghosting. Im not sure what attribute governs fast frame rate and such so maybe you guys can tell me, is this ideal for playing FPS games on a high end rig? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-254-023&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=5#scrollFullInfo
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#2 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236092

That one is better :P

You WILL ghost with a 5ms response time. Look for 2ms. NO DVI output? Yeah, if you want to be gamer elite, you will want what I have in the link provided. Its even better than my old Samsung SyncMaster 226BW which also had 2ms response time, 3000:1 Dynamic Contrast. The difference between my Samsung and the ASUS is like night and day. Plus you get the 3D Vision Kit (retails separately for ~$180 USD), which is an excellent bonus. The ASUS also is 120hz which IS a 3D display.. so you caneven use it as a TV (it has HDMI).

Stoogemeister10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Stoogemeister10
^ yeah..except that costs 500$ noo way im spending that much on a monitor alone. So am i looking for a lower ms then, if i dont want ghosting? Is 2ms ideal for what im lookin for? EDIT: Ok im back and i found this monitor, looks pretty badass, bigger than the other one and with 2ms.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236083
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

You WILL ghost with a 5ms response time.Alkpaz

:lol:

You don't know what you're talking about.

Actually, it's completely possible to have MORE ghosting on a monitor with "2 ms" response time than one with "5 ms." This is because the response times quoted are almost ALWAYS gray-to-gray...which doesn't tell you anything. They're bull**** numbers given to make the specs look good, not to give you an actual indication of how well the monitor performs. That's why benchmarks exist to test things like this. If specs told the entire story, reviews would never be necessary.

Dynamic contrast is bull****, too.

Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts

You WILL ghost with a 5ms response time.Alkpaz

wut

Stoogemeister10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Stoogemeister10
what do you guys think of this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236083
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#7 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts

I owned a 5ms response time LCD Monitor back in 2004. It ghosted in FPS games, I kept my Viewsonic CRT for a while more because of it, until I bought the Samsung. and I don't get ANY ghosting for this current ASUS monitor.

Its 500 with the price of the 3D Vision. So around ~300 for the monitor itself.

Most people contemplating a VG236H purchase will have gaming in mind, and from that perspective, it's a great choice—especially with games that take advantage of Nvidia's 3D Vision. (Asus plans to offer a second SKU sans Nvidia's glasses, but the company hadn't announced pricing at press time.) In addition to its ability to sync to a 120Hz video signal—an absolute requirement for compatibility with Nvidia's LCD shutter glasses—Asus claims the monitor is capable of a response time of just two milliseconds. We didn't encounter any ghosting while wearing the glasses and playing Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, and Batman: Arkham Asylum in 3D Vision mode; more importantly, the 3D effects added appreciably to our overall enjoyment of the games—especially when we had the luxury of connecting three of these displays to this year's Dream Machine.

Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts

I owned a 5ms response time LCD Monitor back in 2004. It ghosted in FPS games, I kept my Viewsonic CRT for a while more because of it, until I bought the Samsung. and I don't get ANY ghosting for this current ASUS monitor.

Its 500 with the price of the 3D Vision. So around ~300 for the monitor itself.

Most people contemplating a VG236H purchase will have gaming in mind, and from that perspective, it's a great choice-especially with games that take advantage of Nvidia's 3D Vision. (Asus plans to offer a second SKU sans Nvidia's glasses, but the company hadn't announced pricing at press time.) In addition to its ability to sync to a 120Hz video signal-an absolute requirement for compatibility with Nvidia's LCD shutter glasses-Asus claims the monitor is capable of a response time of just two milliseconds. We didn't encounter any ghosting while wearing the glasses and playing Metro 2033, Just Cause 2, and Batman: Arkham Asylum in 3D Vision mode; more importantly, the 3D effects added appreciably to our overall enjoyment of the games-especially when we had the luxury of connecting three of these displays to this year's Dream Machine.

Alkpaz
Monitor specs, such as contrast ratio and response time, have largely been proven to be fabricated and over exaggerated especially in recent years. You're best source for research is your own eyes. I have a 12ms Samsung monitor from around 2004 that has no issues at all except for poor viewing angles but that is a moot point as I am usually directly in front of it.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Asus makes good monitors, i advise you for for a 24 or 22 from them, they are almost all 5 ms or lower and cost from 150-250.