is mainboard important??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blackwar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blackwar1
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts

I'm going to buy a new desktop to play game, my old one is just for net and chat.

I have read some topic about hardware but thay just talk about graphic card and cpu.

I wonder If I buy a new desktop with a medium mainboard (ex:g31) with a best graphic card (ex:GTX275) and a medium cpu(ex:e7300).

I just want to play the later game, and don't care about graphic. Is is the good one that I should buy?

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I'm going to buy a new desktop to play game, my old one is just for net and chat.

I have read some topic about hardware but thay just talk about graphic card and cpu.

I wonder If I buy a new desktop with a medium mainboard (ex:g31) with a best graphic card (ex:GTX275) and a medium cpu(ex:e7300).

I just want to play the later game, and don't care about graphic. Is is the good one that I should buy?

blackwar1

Don't buy a G31-chipset motherboard, or any LGA775 motherboard for a new gaming rig... and the Core 2 Duo's aren't a good price/performance buy anymore (the Core i5 and AMD Phenom II CPUs are the way to go now). Plus if you buy a Core 2 Duo or Quad now, you'll never be able to upgrade to a newer CPU in the future because Socket LGA775 processors are no longer being introduced. But to answer your question.. you don't have to buy a $150 motherboard to get great performance out of the rest of your system.

Here's my recommendation right now for a gaming system that be cost effective but last awhile (2+ years of great performance)-

1)CPU -- AMD Phenom II X4 (any model 3.0ghz or higher)

2)Video Card-- The GTX 275 is a great card.. though I might point you in the direction of an ATI Radeon HD 5770 or 5850 (more powerful than GTX 275, 285, and HD 5770) if you can spend a few more bucks and want something more powerful that has support for Directx11 (will be a big deal in a year or 2).

3)Motherboard-- I like Asus motherboards, but there are plenty of good boards from different brands. My rule of thumb is to never spend over $120 on a motherboard unless I want to run multiple video cards (SLI or CrossfireX). Get a Socket AM3 motherboard for between $80-$120 that gets good reviews (recommend newegg.com if you're in the US or Canada).

4) RAM- Get 4GB of DDR3 RAM and you'll be set for a couple years of gaming (socket AM3 motherboards as well as the newest Intel CPU boards use DDR3).

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

For core2duo's the P35 is good price/performance.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
kind of. if you cheap out you get limited expansion slots and less sata ports less usb port and often no firewire (if you care) cheap boards are mostly limited to 2 ram slots and 2 pci cards. going cheap can hurt you in 6 months time. plus some don't support much overclocking compared to higher performance boards, but at stock there is no real difference in performance.
Avatar image for Too_tight_shoes
Too_tight_shoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Too_tight_shoes
Member since 2009 • 2486 Posts
They are fine if your on a budget and the CPU is a great overclocker and wont bottleneck any single GPU by much at stock, get a GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L if your going G31. Yes you are limited to 2 ram slots that support 800mhz but really 4GBs of DDR2 800mhz is more than enough and so far DDR3 hasn't proven it self when it comes to gaming performance.
Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts

Daytona_178
Agreed. G31 is an entry level/budget chipset and is definitely not meant for gaming.
blackwar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blackwar1
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts

thank you all, now I'm sure I know what PC I should buy.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Why is nobody suggesting a P43 motherboard instead if he's going to insist on the Core 2 Duo? Is $79.99 too much to spend on the mobo? The Asus P5QL Pro is IMO the best bang-for-the buck non-SLI/Crossfire LGA775 mobo on the market. It has Asus quality and a VERY long list of features. 6 SATA ports.. 6 rear USB, 3 PCI, 1 PCI-E 2.0, highly-tweakable BIOS, etc.. It really has everything but firewire, onboard video (who wants that for a gaming rig anyways?), and Crossfire/SLI support.

I mean.. since nobody else seems to mention the fact that a decent AM3 board and a Phenom II X2 is actually a more logical choice at this time based on price/performance.. and a 3ghz Phenom II X4 945 can be had for $40-50 more than the E7300/E7400. There really is no reason to build a new LGA775 system unless you're going for a REALLY low-end, cheap setup with a dual-core celeron or something. The price/performance/upgrade paths just don't add up anymore.

UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 UltimateGamer95

thank you all, now I'm sure I know what PC I should buy.

blackwar1
Build your own PC silly!
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 imprezawrx500
[QUOTE="Daytona_178"]

UltimateGamer95
Agreed. G31 is an entry level/budget chipset and is definitely not meant for gaming.

unless you are overclocking it makes next to no difference though. the chipset is about the least important thing to consider.
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UltimateGamer95
[QUOTE="UltimateGamer95"][QUOTE="Daytona_178"]

imprezawrx500

unless you are overclocking it makes next to no difference though. the chipset is about the least important thing to consider.

The chipset handles all communications between the GPU, CPU, and RAM so of course you want it to be fast!
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 imprezawrx500
[QUOTE="UltimateGamer95"][QUOTE="imprezawrx500"][QUOTE="UltimateGamer95"] Agreed. G31 is an entry level/budget chipset and is definitely not meant for gaming.

The chipset handles all communications between the GPU, CPU, and RAM so of course you want it to be fast!

sure but if it supports the fastest ram, pcie 16x and 1333mzh fsb it make no difference. you only see a difference if you have to run slow ram or have a downgraded fsb. pretty much every board supports pcie now so that's not an issue.
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 UltimateGamer95

to the OP: It's better to build your own computer than buy a prebuilt.

Aldouz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Aldouz
Member since 2008 • 1206 Posts

UltimateGamer95
Yeah you're right but some people just don't know how to do it... some even don't know how to install RAM... prebuilt is fine as long as the price gap is relatively small...
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 UltimateGamer95
[QUOTE="UltimateGamer95"]

Aldouz
Yeah you're right but some people just don't know how to do it... some even don't know how to install RAM... prebuilt is fine as long as the price gap is relatively small...

Unfortunately the price gap isn't so small in many cases