Is it time i drop firefox ?

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

I have 16.0.1 and lately i have been having major stability issues, it crashes much more often than it used to and loves to shudder and take long times to load.

Is there anything i can do (i have already un/reinstalled) to help this ? or should i consider moving to other browsers?

the addons i currently have are as follows:

• Ad block plus pop up addon 0.4
  • better privacy 1.68
  • do not track plus 2.2.1.829
  • downloadhelper 4.9.10
  • ghostery 2.8.3
  • java console 6.0.33
  • java console 6.0.35
  • no script 2.5.7
  • simple adblock 1.0.8
  • web of trust 20120926

im just getting so fed up with the problems now that im considering uninstalling it until a newer update comes along. So should i maybe switch to another browser ? I would like to hear your opinion on the browser that you currently use.

thanks to all who reply.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Get Chrome and/or Waterfox.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
I got sick of the memory leak issues in Firefox and moved to Chrome. as an example, if I looked at the screenshot thread, Id often see the memory usage go up to 1.7GB+. Chrome and IE didnt have that issue, even if it was the only tab open.
Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
Try out Chrome and see if it works better for you. A lot of people I know have been getting a lot of FF issues and have swapped to Chrome, I'm still using FF though - nothing's happened to me as of yet.
MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MW2ismygame

Get Chrome and/or Waterfox.

mitu123
what are the pros/cons for waterfox to firefox if i may ask.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

I use both Chrome and Firefox but primarily Chrome. I like it better to be honest...

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Im just stuck using Firefox I guess dont want to go throught the hassle of changing but have you ever seen a program that eats up as much RAM as this? Its horrible constantly at 500+MB with <10 addons

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
I highly recommend SRWare Iron, since you are very concerned about privacy. It's chromium minus the Google tracking API.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 darksusperia

Im just stuck using Firefox I guess dont want to go throught the hassle of changing but have you ever seen a program that eats up as much RAM as this? Its horrible constantly at 500+MB with <10 addons

AdamPA1006
Chrome has most of the addons available that are in Firefox and imports everything from Firefox anyway so you dont lose anything. takes all of 2 minutes to switch. Did it myself a month or two ago purely for the same reasons. Firefox memory leaks like a garden hose.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Firefox seems to have gone down hill alot over the past year or two, I reluctantly switched to Chrome about 6 months ago, installed addblock and never looked back. Best advice I can give you is to just try it and see, its free afterall.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I stopped using Firefox a long time ago. Opera had been pretty good.
MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MW2ismygame

AdamPA1006
I know its so bad. FF has even been making my cpu throttle at times the last month. Yesterday it pushed it to 99% and made my GPU go crazy as well until i closed it through WTM. That was the turning point that has made me really reconsider other options.
fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2387 Posts

I switched to Chrome several months ago. Firefox kept crashing my system because there's some kind of a conflict with my GPU drivers. After spending months trying to fix it I just switched to Chrome. I still have Firefox installed but I hardly ever use it anymore.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I have 16.0.1 and lately i have been having major stability issues, it crashes much more often than it used to and loves to shudder and take long times to load.

Is there anything i can do (i have already un/reinstalled) to help this ? or should i consider moving to other browsers?

the addons i currently have are as follows:

• Ad block plus pop up addon 0.4
  • better privacy 1.68
  • do not track plus 2.2.1.829
  • downloadhelper 4.9.10
  • ghostery 2.8.3
  • java console 6.0.33
  • java console 6.0.35
  • no script 2.5.7
  • simple adblock 1.0.8
  • web of trust 20120926

im just getting so fed up with the problems now that im considering uninstalling it until a newer update comes along. So should i maybe switch to another browser ? I would like to hear your opinion on the browser that you currently use.

thanks to all who reply.

MW2ismygame
Maybe cause you have the latest version which sometimes brings with it bugs. I normally wait a while before upgrading (I have 15). Also, try uninstalling using Revo Uninstaller, so it deletes the registry and folders. Then test the new Firefox for a while without addons. It could just be an addon (u have heaps installed) and not the browser.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
I switched from Firefox to Chrome with the 6.0 update of Firefox. Firefox was too slow. So far I'm happy with Chrome. The sync to/from my iPhone is very nice.
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

I can't stand Firefox anymore. I used to use it exclusively, but then I started having quite a bit of problems with it crashing on videos and such. Since, I have switched to Google Chrome and I love it.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#17 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

What does this have to do with PC and MAC games?

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

Try uninstalling java, and then manually download and install the latest version of java. I had to do that because I was stuck with an old version, and it caused slowdowns.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

-Unreal-

There are heaps of browser games you know....that get played on either PC or MAC.

For people saying they have left FF, I suggest you give version 15-16 a go. It's changed a lot and Mozilla have fixed lots of issues. I am currently using FF15 and I find it faster, more stable and more responsive than the previous versions.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darksusperia

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

FelipeInside

There are heaps of browser games you know....that get played on either PC or MAC.

For people saying they have left FF, I suggest you give version 15-16 a go. It's changed a lot and Mozilla have fixed lots of issues. I am currently using FF15 and I find it faster, more stable and more responsive than the previous versions.

I never uninstalled it, just updated from 15 - 16. The first pic is after I updated, logged into gamespot and hit page 3 and let it load completely of the screenshot thread stickied at the top.  The next is when I clicked on page 4 and let it load completely.  its better then what it was but its still has terrible memory management. 1.2GB RAM, WTH Firefox!!
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Am i the only nerd still using normal Internet Explorer? i've found no faults with it.. :o

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

darksusperia

I never uninstalled it, just updated from 15 - 16. The first pic is after I updated, logged into gamespot and hit page 3 and let it load completely of the screenshot thread stickied at the top.  The next is when I clicked on page 4 and let it load completely.  its better then what it was but its still has terrible memory management. 1.2GB RAM, WTH Firefox!!

Weird, my FF never goes past the 200MB-300MB RAM usage. Are u using anything special? Could be version 16 though. I still use 15 but still urs is way over the top.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

yes, i had FF as my main browser untila year ago, i switched to chrome and its a lot better, faster and no memory problems

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darksusperia
[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

Weird, my FF never goes past the 200MB-300MB RAM usage. Are u using anything special? Could be version 16 though. I still use 15 but still urs is way over the top.

nope, was the same in 15 and previous versions. This is a brand new laptop, Asus K55V, which I swapped out the HDD for an Intel 520 SSD and did a clean install of win7. The only addons to FF I use is Adblock+, then I just have the usual java, .net framework etc. As you could see it was the only tab open.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside
^^ Still weird. I have Adblock+, Java, Adobe Flash, a few addons as well and like I said no more than 300MB.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10514 Posts

Am i the only nerd still using normal Internet Explorer? i've found no faults with it.. :o

BattleSpectre

yes! its the pariah of internet browsers - woefully inadequate in support of HTML5, CSS3 and all the latest web technologies. IE10 looks like it will go some way to remedy this but it will still fall some way short of chrome.

try chrome. give it a week or two and you'll never look back

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

Macutchi

yes! its the pariah of internet browsers - woefully inadequate in support of HTML5, CSS3 and all the latest web technologies. IE10 looks like it will go some way to remedy this but it will still fall some way short of chrome.

IE9 isn't bad at all. As for Chrome, it's a great browser but I hate that Google collects data the way it does and the GameSpot forums lag more on Chrome than FF.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Well Chrome is just one click away, so i guess i can try it.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darksusperia
[QUOTE="Macutchi"]

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

FelipeInside

IE9 isn't bad at all. As for Chrome, it's a great browser but I hate that Google collects data the way it does and the GameSpot forums lag more on Chrome than FF.

Funny, i find chrome loads them faster and FF lags.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Macutchi

[QUOTE="Macutchi"]

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

FelipeInside

i work as a web developer felipe. maybe to the layman it looks ok but beneath the hood its miles behind the other main browsers

edit: to illustrate my point here's a browser comparison of chrome, ie, firefox and safari

browser comparison

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#31 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

I switched to chrome too some time ago, each tab has its own process, so when a page crashes it doesn't crash your whole browser which is neat.

madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#32 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts
I liked firefox very much, especially for a web developper it has nice tools. But a couple of versions ago it got slower and slower and indeed started to crash more often. I still use firefox but i essentially shifted to opera again which i have been using for years. Opera still is a awesome browser imho and in conjunction with FF i got all i need.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Macutchi"]

Macutchi

i work as a web developer felipe. maybe to the layman it looks ok but beneath the hood its miles behind the other main browsers

edit: to illustrate my point here's a browser comparison of chrome, ie, firefox and safari

browser comparison

I know its the weaker one, just saying the new version is better.
alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

I just realised that i got firefox 12.0? I guess that you have to make a clean install for getting new versions such as 15 or 16..

I've been using firefox steady for so long that i'm so used to it, i have once nice persona that i rarely change and the default theme with adblock and some other minor plugin and it's worked flawlessly for all this time, despite some days that flashplayer will constantly crash when watching videos or the browser closes lol. It rarely uses more than 300mb of memory.

I tried chrome many times but i normally ended up deleting it the next minute or day, don't like the customization of it, or didn't get very much into it.

Should i try the new mozilla, get into chrome or install some suggested browser?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Macutchi

I know its the weaker one, just saying the new version is better.

FelipeInside

you said it wasn't bad at all, which isn't true. those scores i posted shows just how far behind the others it is. ie10 should be a big improvement over 9 though, i guess we'll find out when its released in a few weeks

I just realised that i got firefox 12.0? I guess that you have to make a clean install for getting new versions such as 15 or 16..

I've been using firefox steady for so long that i'm so used to it, i have once nice persona that i rarely change and the default theme with adblock and some other minor plugin and it's worked flawlessly for all this time, despite some days that flashplayer will constantly crash when watching videos or the browser closes lol. It rarely uses more than 300mb of memory.

I tried chrome many times but i normally ended up deleting it the next minute or day, don't like the customization of it, or didn't get very much into it.

Should i try the new mozilla, get into chrome or install some suggested browser?

alan_carter

stick with what you're used to. firefox is a great browser. for general browsing there's not much between it and chrome, but if you want the browser that supports the most cutting edge features try chrome

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

I clicked on about firefox n it auto updated to 16.0.1

So great, scroll feels different but i'll get used to it. Tried chrome again, and tabs were glitched and those themes available look so bad.. dunno whats so "cuttin edge" about it.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Macutchi

I clicked on about firefox n it auto updated to 16.0.1

So great, scroll feels different but i'll get used to it. Tried chrome again, and tabs were glitched and those themes available look so bad.. dunno whats so "cuttin edge" about it.

alan_carter

look at the image i posted a few posts up. the scores show how much new web technologies each browser supports. chrome wins by some distance. if you're not bothered about any of that then like i said stick with firefox

OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="darksusperia"] I never uninstalled it, just updated from 15 - 16. The first pic is after I updated, logged into gamespot and hit page 3 and let it load completely of the screenshot thread stickied at the top.  The next is when I clicked on page 4 and let it load completely.  its better then what it was but its still has terrible memory management. 1.2GB RAM, WTH Firefox!!darksusperia

nope, was the same in 15 and previous versions. This is a brand new laptop, Asus K55V, which I swapped out the HDD for an Intel 520 SSD and did a clean install of win7. The only addons to FF I use is Adblock+, then I just have the usual java, .net framework etc. As you could see it was the only tab open.

I call BS here. If you look carefully, you'll see the 10-12 tabs he has open in the background through the top of the browser window. "One tab open," my a**.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

My firefox hasn't crashed recently and with five tabs open it's using 298MB RAM. I don't know what all the fuss is about. I only use Adblock as an extension though and disable all plugins except Flash.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
Wow I've never seen my Firefox take up that much memory..
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Since Chrome was released it's the only one I use.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I might switch to Chrome at some point, FireFox would be perfect if it didn't get choppy after a short while.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Yeah as mentioned FF has become a mess and every other browser has gotten far better and F is now trying to catch up. I use Chrome primarily but on Linux I use Opera.
MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MW2ismygame

-Unreal-
well its either this or hardware so......yeah
MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MW2ismygame

Thanks for all the input, I've gone with waterfox and will test it out. If it also gives me trouble chrome will definitely be my next choice.

scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts
Moved over to Chrome along time ago.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 darksusperia

[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Weird, my FF never goes past the 200MB-300MB RAM usage. Are u using anything special? Could be version 16 though. I still use 15 but still urs is way over the top.OrkHammer007

I call BS here. If you look carefully, you'll see the 10-12 tabs he has open in the background through the top of the browser window. "One tab open," my a**.

That was chrome open behind it.. The top of the task manager window covers the bookmark bar. Smart ass, and your still wrong it was a single tab.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

[QUOTE="darksusperia"] nope, was the same in 15 and previous versions. This is a brand new laptop, Asus K55V, which I swapped out the HDD for an Intel 520 SSD and did a clean install of win7. The only addons to FF I use is Adblock+, then I just have the usual java, .net framework etc. As you could see it was the only tab open.darksusperia

That was chrome open behind it.. The top of the task manager window covers the bookmark bar. Smart ass, and your still wrong it was a single tab.

I've been reading a bit about ur problem. Seems that Chrome actually uses MORE memory than FF, but the way it handles each TAB (separate) makes it a bit more stable. Also seems that on different PCs, the memory usage varies. Still, YOUR memory usage is way too much.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 darksusperia
I call BS here. If you look carefully, you'll see the 10-12 tabs he has open in the background through the top of the browser window. "One tab open," my a**.OrkHammer007
  hurr durr now move along ..
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 darksusperia
[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]I call BS here. If you look carefully, you'll see the 10-12 tabs he has open in the background through the top of the browser window. "One tab open," my a**.FelipeInside

I've been reading a bit about ur problem. Seems that Chrome actually uses MORE memory than FF, but the way it handles each TAB (separate) makes it a bit more stable. Also seems that on different PCs, the memory usage varies. Still, YOUR memory usage is way too much.

even with the single processes for each tab chromes total is still less then what I get with FF.