Is Dolby Digital Live Worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zidan4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 zidan4000
Member since 2006 • 3167 Posts

I am still worried on whether to buy a whole new 5.1 set for my PC or buy a sound card that supports DDL and use my Home Theater with it , I heard that Dolby Digital Live doesn't really give real surround sound from games , it only takes the stereo signal and decodes it , is that true? also how is the quality of Dolby Digital Live sound compared to analog surround? and finally can you recommend me some good DDL PCI sound cards ? my budget is 100$.

Thanks in advance

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
No, what DDL does is take all the sound streams on your computer and encodes them on-the-fly into AC-3/Dolby Digital so it'll fit within limited S/PDIF bandwidth. If you want surround channels over S/PDIF with PC games, this is the only way to do it. If you're not going to be using the RCA/coaxial or Toslink/optical digital audio ports (they both use the S/PDIF protocol), then you don't need it. While I do have a couple of Auzentech X-Fi cards with the feature, I don't use it, simply because I exclusively use headphones and CMSS-3D Headphone is my surround sound, which only needs to output a binaural two-channel signal.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I am still worried on whether to buy a whole new 5.1 set for my PC or buy a sound card that supports DDL and use my Home Theater with it , I heard that Dolby Digital Live doesn't really give real surround sound from games , it only takes the stereo signal and decodes it , is that true? also how is the quality of Dolby Digital Live sound compared to analog surround? and finally can you recommend me some good DDL PCI sound cards ? my budget is 100$.

Thanks in advance

zidan4000

The ASUS Xonar DS is $40 but it supports DTS Connect. HT OMEGA Striker is about $74 on Newegg and it supports both DTS and DDL. They encode the signal into a DDL/DTS signal for your receiver to decode. That means you can send mono, stereo, quad, or 5.1 through it. (Can't do 7.1, only HDMI or 4 analog can.)

Also if you have one of the newer cards from Nvidia (GTX 460, or the GTX 5xx series) or AMD (5xxx series and 6xxx series) and your receiver supports audio over HDMI, you could just use those.

zidan4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 zidan4000
Member since 2006 • 3167 Posts
Well , thanks for the suggestions of cards , but do DDL through TOSLINK bear the same quality of normal 5.1 analog sound?