Is Bioshock really that good?

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

Just wondering if the game is really that gosh darn good

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

What do you mean by "that good"? Some say it's the coolest FPS ever, others say it's crap... My opinion is that it is good enough for every FPS fan, worths it's moneh :)

trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 trijity
Member since 2008 • 813 Posts

Good enough for the price tag? hhhheeeeeelllllll yes. Amazing game.

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 get-ka12
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts
I watched my friend play it and I honestly thought it was kind of boring. To me, it is overrated, but that's just my opinion.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
Not bad, but not amazing either.
Farkeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Farkeman
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts

its one of those fps games where there is nice creapy story and great gameplay !

if you love horror/survivor fps you should love bioshock its the one of the best games i ever played !

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

slamminjammin69

I don't know about gosh darn good, but its good.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#8 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

*Waits for the SS2 fans to come marching in with the orchestra and pom pom girls*

As an action game with weapons customisation, a unique visual ****and a mature, beautifully written story, its a terrific game.

C'mon in boys! Criticism on this forum is often ladened at the story being an exact copy: the twist in particular. What the SS2 fans forget is that SS2 was not the first to use that twist.

SPOILERS. Thief: TDP was.

That twist aside: I hardly view the story in its entirety as a copy, esp. considering that it was written by the same person and also if you say that the characters are the same then you are missing the bigger picture

Archetypes are generic, yes. But its the greater themes of the story that are developed from these archetypes that matters. If we complained about archetypes being the same then Indiana Jones would be the same as James Bond: the indestructible hero. No one is going to make that judgment. You need to look at the greater sum of its parts: and SS2 did not feature a supposed abortion, an illegitimate child, the guilt of transforming small children into monsters, questions of political ideologies, and Randism. Rapture itself, holds a rich history.

To say that BS is a copy of SS2's story is to forget about the method of appropriation entirely as well. If this were the case then the Lion King would be a copy of Hamlet. Forget about it! And to say that the setting is the same as well leaves a complete disregard for the foundations of Dystopian Fiction: these conventions were established well before SS2 obviously and are entitled to be used by other games, such as the failed Utopia.

The games narrative is also buoyed through its intertextual references to literature, not just the Randism stuff as well I should add!!

Mind you: the same people who complain about BS are the ones that don't criticise Crysis' story, purely because its a FPS and they supposedly don't have decent stories: this one does!

The combat copes a lot of flak too: I find it hard to judge a lot of those things like how powerful the guns are etc. But what does it matter if you use them in conjunction with the powers anyway? Just my two cents. I'm not saying its a perfect game, but I found it to be accessible and ultimately a lot of fun.

Bojangles criticised the game for lacking in atmosphere purely because if its lack of scares. There are few games to me that capture the era of the 1940s through the art direction as well as this title and to me that gives it a different sense of atmosphere as opposed to frights. That and also Fort Frolic which is just bloody creepy lol :P

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Boring, mediocre, soulless, broken and pretentious.

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 get-ka12
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

[QUOTE="slamminjammin69"]

GPAddict

I don't know about gosh darn good, but its good.

Gee willikers, at least it's darn good.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
No, not really... Combat, and progression could have been better, eg the way you progress in ss2 or dead space was better. The combat aspect doesnt feel that good.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Its a very good shooter up until two thirds of the way through. Then it begins to lose its pacing and become a tad mediocre. Still a damn good game, one of the better original shooters this gen.
Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

No

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
I would say no .. besides an interetsing premise and shiny graphics there was not much going for it and you can only look at walls for so long
sloakz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sloakz
Member since 2007 • 379 Posts

Each to their own but i loved it 8)

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#16 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

slamminjammin69

One of the most overrated games EVER. I thought it sucked hard.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Baranga

Mind you: the same people who complain about BS are the ones that don't criticise Crysis' story, purely because its a FPS and they supposedly don't have decent stories: this one does!

biggest_loser

When people say it's a shooter with lame action, fans are like, no, it's an RPG! When you point out the RPG elements are purely cosmetic, no, it's a shooter!

Funny thing is that BioShock was hyped as Shooter 2.0 and then...

...we have taken the RPG system and made it much deeper and more accessible than System Shock 2. RPG design technology has come a long way since then. We've learned a lot of lessons from making game systems that are deep and complex, but also making them accessible. That's really important too. We've added a ton of new systems that weren't in a game like System Shock 2. By the way, this is not a dumbed down experience by any means.

You really have a grudge against Crysis' story :lol:

Are you aware of Ken Levine's claims about how he'll innovate the genre? Please take your time and read through IGN's interviews from before the game's release.

So much win.

Also read about His Amazing Storytelling Innovation, the dialogues with other characters (that was in 2006 rofl) and all the other crap he lied about. Can you imagine what a fan of his previous work, hyped because of his lies, felt when he discovered BioShock is just a shadow of much better games? A mess of ideas put there just, well, because? There's no coherency in what the characters say, it's only random thoughts about random things that go nowhere. I'm not sure if mentioning "stuff" and adding ? at the end of the rambling qualifies as good story. Making so many pointless literary references make it seem like that pretentious idiot from highschool that mentions The Cure and Bulgakov in the same sentence every 15 minutes and is very proud of it.

It's the equivalent of arthouse moviemaking: put two people in front of the camera and film them while they talk about crap. People start wondering if there's any meaning behind all this and voila, you'll get prizes!

On the other hand, it introduced me to Ayn Rand, and I quite enjoy her books.

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

Yes it's good.Not amazing but i enjoyed it,the story is relevant to today's society and the pitfalls that come with it.Course it's no system shock but a good game none the less,can have boring phases but there are not alot of them.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Baranga

When people say it's a shooter with lame action, fans are like, no, it's an RPG! When you point out the RPG elements are purely cosmetic, no, it's a shooter!

...we have taken the RPG system and made it much deeper and more accessible than System Shock 2. RPG design technology has come a long way since then. We've learned a lot of lessons from making game systems that are deep and complex, but also making them accessible. That's really important too. We've added a ton of new systems that weren't in a game like System Shock 2. By the way, this is not a dumbed down experience by any means.

Are you aware of Ken Levine's claims about how he'll innovate the genre? Please take your time and read through IGN's interviews from before the game's release.

So much win.

Also read about His Amazing Storytelling Innovation, the dialogues with other characters (that was in 2006 rofl) and all the other crap he lied about. Can you imagine what a fan of his previous work, hyped because of his lies, felt when he discovered BioShock is just a shadow of much better games? A mess of ideas put there just, well, because? There's no coherency in what the characters say, it's only random thoughts about random things that go nowhere. I'm not sure if mentioning "stuff" and adding ? at the end of the rambling qualifies as good story. Making so many pointless literary references make it seem like that pretentious idiot from highschool that mentions The Cure and Bulgakov in the same sentence every 15 minutes and is very proud of it.

It's the equivalent of arthouse moviemaking: put two people in front of the camera and film them while they talk about crap. People start wondering if there's any meaning behind all this and voila, you'll get prizes!

That was full of win. lol. summed everything up pretty well

theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts
Wow, the thread is only one page long and there are already two TL;DR posts. Bioshock is worth the purchase. The atmosphere is great - it really feels immersive. However, the gameplay gets a tad repetitive after you get about 50% through the game. Worth it anyway.
Kaelken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kaelken
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts

Bioshock is EXACTLY like any other FPS made since Doom 1998

Zero innovation or new gameplay with the usual predictable path a to b trial and error gameplay

So no, not at all - gameplay wise it belongs in the dark ages

RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

Depends on the person really.. I found it really boring and never got round to finnishing it because of that. It is more like an interactive movie and not so much a game (mainly because you CANNOT die).

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

slamminjammin69

Yes

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

The atmosphere and story were good, but the combat was....chunky?...Chunky is a good word to describe the gun play.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
Member since 2008 • 8225 Posts
No, not really.
siddarthshetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 siddarthshetty
Member since 2008 • 9463 Posts

The game is average...Not the best but surely overrated

AciDiCa-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AciDiCa-
Member since 2009 • 359 Posts

Yeah, it's a good game. It's worth a buy.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#28 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
It's phenomenol.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

*Waits for the SS2 fans to come marching in with the orchestra and pom pom girls*

biggest_loser

*leads pom pom girls into thread* :)

I think the setting of Bioshock was well done. The sound effects and atmosphere always kept you on your toes. At it's core, however, the game is just another shooter. The game did not raise the bar of fps games, or revolutionize the genre as some of the pre-release press hype seemed to imply.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Baranga

So much win.

Well to be honest: I didn't follow the hype and all these interviews etc. I just took the game for what it was when it came out. Taking it as an action game it is not just Doom. There are multiple ways to attack situations and to improvise, similar to Crysis. Its not Shooter 2.0 but its fun.

And I don't agree that the characters just say stuff. The references are not pointless at all. They have drawn from the sources I've mentioned to create this story and a narrative. Its not just them mentioning a text as you suggest but they are highly integral.

The Ayn Rand stuff is the entire basis for Rapture - they created it themselves and they wanted to maintain it without government help. Thats not pointless. Thats establishing the setting for the entire game. Same deal with the New American Adam stuff I mentioned.

On Crysis: i just don't understand how people can be so critical of Bioshocks narrative and yet they don't grill Crysis which has one of the crummiest narratives and set of characters for a major FPS - the rest of the game is great, but if BS's story is "stolen" from SS2 then Crysis is a knock-off of Predator and its not even well written!!

MrWednesday14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrWednesday14
Member since 2009 • 386 Posts

I didn't follow the hype and all these interviews etc. I just took the game for what it was when it came out.

biggest_loser

^Agreed. If Levine was being arrogant pre-release it's a slight against Levine, not Bioshock.

I personally thought that Bioshock was a pretty good game. It had awesome narrative, characters, setting and atmosphere. The crappy combat and last third brought it down.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#32 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

I didn't follow the hype and all these interviews etc. I just took the game for what it was when it came out.

MrWednesday14

^Agreed. If Levine was being arrogant pre-release it's a slight against Levine, not Bioshock.

I personally thought that Bioshock was a pretty good game. It had awesome narrative, characters, setting and atmosphere. The crappy combat and last third brought it down.

I didn't follow the interviews/previews, they usually lead to unrealistic expectations being built around the game then dissapointment when you play it.

I took Bioshock for what it was, and i still can't believe they got away with some of the things they did. And guess what? I'm in no way a SS2 fan. I tried playing it after Bioshock, but couldn't get into it because of the lack of instruction. Vita chambers. Ok, if there are only a couple per level, that makes sense, you don't have to redo large part of the game, its about the experience, right? Well, if you have a vita chamber every 40 feet, it kind of makes all the character/weapon upgrades kind of pointless.

While the game had a number of pretty spectacular set piece moments, most of the gameplay boiled down to killing wackos, and the combat was terrible, hacking, or wandering around looking for loot. The game looked good, but I personally thought the crazy, new-years-eve party theme was a bit much. Honestly, the only thing two things the game has going for it are story and visuals. And the visuals arent even that good, another Unreal Engine 3 affair. And if all you want out of a game is a good story, go watch a movie or read a book, games are supposed to be about the Gameplay, if a game has a great story it can sure make the game a lot better, but if it has lousy gameplay, the good story means nothing. Bioshock was a slog where i played just to get from setpiece to setpiece through the linear, repetative corridors.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10506 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

MrWednesday14

exactly my thoughts but i still really enjoyed it on the first playthrough

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
I think it's an amazing game, but the so called fast paced combat doesn't work at all with plasmids and stuff, it really takes a while till you can select the plasmid you want, it would be better if they did something like Crysis Nano Suit mouse wheel command.
xmvince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xmvince
Member since 2007 • 56 Posts

I watched my friend play it and I honestly thought it was kind of boring. To me, it is overrated, but that's just my opinion.get-ka12

Have you ever watched an RPG that wasn't boring? You gotta play it yourself to get the enjoyment out of it.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
It's alright. Tries to be a jack of all trades but compromises all its ambitions so does nothing spectacularly well. There are far, far better games to spend your money on.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Yes it is, the atmosphere alone makes it worth the buy. Though the majority on here would tell you its overrated and mediocre. The combat could have been alot deeper if u ask me, but its still a very fun FPS.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
It's good, but not great. It was a terrible FPS, but it has great atmosphere and story and I definitely recommend it as it is so cheap now.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

I didn't care for it much, combat was too iffy.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="MrWednesday14"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

with_teeth26

I didn't follow the interviews/previews, they usually lead to unrealistic expectations being built around the game then dissapointment when you play it.

I took Bioshock for what it was, and i still can't believe they got away with some of the things they did. And guess what? I'm in no way a SS2 fan. I tried playing it after Bioshock, but couldn't get into it because of the lack of instruction. Vita chambers. Ok, if there are only a couple per level, that makes sense, you don't have to redo large part of the game, its about the experience, right? Well, if you have a vita chamber every 40 feet, it kind of makes all the character/weapon upgrades kind of pointless.

While the game had a number of pretty spectacular set piece moments, most of the gameplay boiled down to killing wackos, and the combat was terrible, hacking, or wandering around looking for loot. The game looked good, but I personally thought the crazy, new-years-eve party theme was a bit much. Honestly, the only thing two things the game has going for it are story and visuals. And the visuals arent even that good, another Unreal Engine 3 affair. And if all you want out of a game is a good story, go watch a movie or read a book, games are supposed to be about the Gameplay, if a game has a great story it can sure make the game a lot better, but if it has lousy gameplay, the good story means nothing. Bioshock was a slog where i played just to get from setpiece to setpiece through the linear, repetative corridors.

Are we really still making the Vita chamber complaint? Even after the developers rectified it with a patch? I mean the STALKER fans will whip out their mods and enhancements updates just the same. Even before the patch if it bothered you that much you could just quick load when you died. Thats what I did.

I beg to differ about the visuals: it is not a standard Unreal 3 affair. It captures its period like few other games and some of those water effects are just breathtaking.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 biggest_loser
Yes it is, the atmosphere alone makes it worth the buy. Though the majority on here would tell you its overrated and mediocre. The combat could have been alot deeper if u ask me, but its still a very fun FPS. Dante2710
The majority? But it has a rating of 8.8 for PC users though. Thats no slouch.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

I beg to differ about the visuals: it is not a standard Unreal 3 affair. It captures its period like few other games and some of those water effects are just breathtaking.

biggest_loser
See, I've never really gotten this. I mean, yes, the inside areas where there is water rushing out of leaks and the such look fantastic but...They didn't impress me much, possibly due to the bad taste left by the opening of the game, where you are in the ocean and the water is horrible looking.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
[QUOTE="Dante2710"]Yes it is, the atmosphere alone makes it worth the buy. Though the majority on here would tell you its overrated and mediocre. The combat could have been alot deeper if u ask me, but its still a very fun FPS. biggest_loser
The majority? But it has a rating of 8.8 for PC users though. Thats no slouch.

really? hmm, then i guess my assumption is way off then
Khalidm5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Khalidm5
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

yeah, you can play the game for a while

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

kieranb2000

See, I've never really gotten this. I mean, yes, the inside areas where there is water rushing out of leaks and the such look fantastic but...They didn't impress me much, possibly due to the bad taste left by the opening of the game, where you are in the ocean and the water is horrible looking.

You thought this looked bad?

Compared to what? Crysis? And thats obviously not even in motion. I had to do a double take to realise it wasn't a cutscene.

All in the eye of the beholder I guess.

SgtMoreless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SgtMoreless
Member since 2009 • 311 Posts

My 2 cents...

How the hell could anyone enjoy it? It was slow and felt like a console shooter. Alright, thats the gameplay. Now lets get the story! Holy **** this game is messed up. The first boss you fight is cutting a girl up and wondering why she is not beautiful. Then he screams, "WHY CANT I MAKE THESE THINGS BEAUTIFUL" *lighting strikes* You see bodies strung up all the over the walls (naked?). Then he proceeds to stab the the STILL LIVING girl multiple times as she squirms helplessly.

WTF!

Yeah, that was my reaction. I quit playing after this. Regret every second I wasted on this disgusting game.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 biggest_loser

My 2 cents...

How the hell could anyone enjoy it? It was slow and felt like a console shooter. Alright, thats the gameplay. Now lets get the story! Holy **** this game is messed up. The first boss you fight is cutting a girl up and wondering why she is not beautiful. Then he screams, "WHY CANT I MAKE THESE THINGS BEAUTIFUL" *lighting strikes* You see bodies strung up all the over the walls (naked?). Then he proceeds to stab the the STILL LIVING girl multiple times as she squirms helplessly.

WTF!

Yeah, that was my reaction. I quit playing after this. Regret every second I wasted on this disgusting game.

SgtMoreless

Disgusting? The likes of Wolfenstein and HL2 are not exactly sensitized my friend and you bought those correct?

Avatar image for RichardStallman
RichardStallman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RichardStallman
Member since 2009 • 1233 Posts

It's a very mediocre game but it has excellent presentation (graphics, sound, story).

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Baranga

Holy **** this game is messed up. The first boss you fight is cutting a girl up and wondering why she is not beautiful. Then he screams, "WHY CANT I MAKE THESE THINGS BEAUTIFUL" *lighting strikes* You see bodies strung up all the over the walls (naked?). Then he proceeds to stab the the STILL LIVING girl multiple times as she squirms helplessly.

WTF!

SgtMoreless

You make it sound much more awesome than it is!

Then he screams, "WHY CANT I MAKE THESE THINGS BEAUTIFUL" *lighting strikes*

:lol:

SgtMoreless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SgtMoreless
Member since 2009 • 311 Posts

[QUOTE="SgtMoreless"]

My 2 cents...

WTF!

biggest_loser

Disgusting? The likes of Wolfenstein and HL2 are not exactly sensitized my friend and you bought those correct?

I own both. Have not played hl2 (shut up...lol) and I have played the whole way through Return to castle wolfenstien and the newest release. And nothing comes close to this.

There is just something about chained up woman being cut and stabbed that turned me away from this game.