Inverted or Normal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for the_foreign_guy
the_foreign_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_foreign_guy
Member since 2005 • 22657 Posts
What do you play your games on? I used to be inverted when I played FPS's, but then I went to normal. I sitll am inverted though in flight games. It feels more natural.
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts

Normal all the way. I haven't played a flight sim since the days of the Atari ST.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_ST

FragMonkey09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 FragMonkey09
Member since 2005 • 1543 Posts
Normal on veerything besides flight sims. Its justs eems so natural to have inverted when flying.
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts
I play with inverted aiming. It just makes more sense to me, and here's an experiment to prove my point: 1. Rest your hand on your mouse. I mean REST it on your MOUSE. Do NOT grip your mouse or wrest your hand on your desk. 2. In a smooth motion, tip your head back until you're looking straight up at the ceiling. 3. In a smooth motion, tip your head forward until you're staring down at your keyboard. Which way did your hand want to move? Of course, I'm not saying there's a "right" or a "wrong" way, as it's really just a matter of preference. And as someone who spends far too much time in front of a PC, I'm always up for new thoughts and ideas on computing ergonomics, so I'd love to hear some others' views on this subject.
Avatar image for deactivated-6489064584842
deactivated-6489064584842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6489064584842
Member since 2007 • 102 Posts

I play with inverted aiming. It just makes more sense to me, and here's an experiment to prove my point: 1. Rest your hand on your mouse. I mean REST it on your MOUSE. Do NOT grip your mouse or wrest your hand on your desk. 2. In a smooth motion, tip your head back until you're looking straight up at the ceiling. 3. In a smooth motion, tip your head forward until you're staring down at your keyboard. Which way did your hand want to move? Of course, I'm not saying there's a "right" or a "wrong" way, as it's really just a matter of preference. And as someone who spends far too much time in front of a PC, I'm always up for new thoughts and ideas on computing ergonomics, so I'd love to hear some others' views on this subject.JN_Fenrir

You've got a point there. But I think that the 2 modes are equally good. I always play on normal but that is because I am used to that.

Other people are used to the inverted way and that is no problem.

This situation is like writing with your left hand or the right. There is are equally good.

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

[QUOTE="JN_Fenrir"]I play with inverted aiming. It just makes more sense to me, and here's an experiment to prove my point: 1. Rest your hand on your mouse. I mean REST it on your MOUSE. Do NOT grip your mouse or wrest your hand on your desk. 2. In a smooth motion, tip your head back until you're looking straight up at the ceiling. 3. In a smooth motion, tip your head forward until you're staring down at your keyboard. Which way did your hand want to move? Of course, I'm not saying there's a "right" or a "wrong" way, as it's really just a matter of preference. And as someone who spends far too much time in front of a PC, I'm always up for new thoughts and ideas on computing ergonomics, so I'd love to hear some others' views on this subject.Phob0s

You've got a point there. But I think that the 2 modes are equally good. I always play on normal but that is because I am used to that.

Other people are used to the inverted way and that is no problem.

This situation is like writing with your left hand or the right. There is are equally good.

Agreed. It really does just boil down to preference. And if you play non-flighty FPSs like CS or Call of Duty, it really doesn't make any difference, since you never need to shift your view across large sections of the vertical plane anyway. I'd also like to hear from some folks who use "alternative" mice (trackballs, vertical mice, "remote" mice, etc.). I've always been curious as to how well some of these devices work in games (particularly FPSs).
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

I'm a bit different...

With mouse and keyboard, I'm normal.

With a game pad (Xbox/PS2) controllers, I have to play inverted. Otherwise I look like a retard running around and point my weapon in the wrong direction while trying to aim.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
The only time I play inverted is when I'm flying aircraft. Though its kinda that way for every game.
nightharvest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nightharvest
Member since 2005 • 1782 Posts

Inverted drives me up the wall.

8)

Avatar image for vampire96_blood
vampire96_blood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 vampire96_blood
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
inverted works for me.
DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
I can only use inverted.
Smudge_Smill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Smudge_Smill
Member since 2005 • 238 Posts

Inverted while flying.

Everything else is normal.

Crembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Crembo
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts
I always play normaly ,no matter if it's flying or aim. Invert is weird. :P
thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
Normal for me, I hated inverted. The only time inverted is useful is when you are playing a game in which you control a flying vehicle other than a chopper.
Quent1015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Quent1015
Member since 2004 • 507 Posts
Well, as a kid I grew up playing inverted mainly because I didn't know how to change the settings (this was when I'd jump on my bro's computer, usually). As a result, today I can't play anything but inverted.
Tonttu86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Tonttu86
Member since 2005 • 108 Posts
Normal for everything else except flying.
Azghouls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 314

#18 Azghouls
Member since 2006 • 815 Posts

Inverted all the way - including RTS - ie inverted x-axis and y-axis. And the space bar for crouch and left shift for jump.

Now call me a freak.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
Depends on the input device. Mouse? Normal. Analog thumbstick? Normal, even for aircraft. Full-fledged flight stick? Inverted.
ironsizide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ironsizide
Member since 2002 • 120 Posts

I play with inverted aiming. It just makes more sense to me, and here's an experiment to prove my point: JN_Fenrir

Inverted here for FPSs and Flight Sims. And I've used the same explanation.