I'm giving in... and getting WoW...

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-shmelo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#1 -shmelo-
Member since 2006 • 931 Posts

I was mildly entertained by RuneScape for a while but the graphics finally made me sick to my stomach so I quit it easily. Then MapleStory took 3 months of my life (like a year ago) and easily quit that. Some kids at school and numerous other sources whom own WoW state that it cannot be quit easily and is indeed addicting, plus the monthly cost, its like Ciggarettes!

In my bored summer of depression, I just requested WoW for my B-Day... giving into the tempation.

To get to a point, do any of you current WoW players have any pacing advice?

Avatar image for X360NowPS3Later
X360NowPS3Later

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 X360NowPS3Later
Member since 2006 • 340 Posts
For an MMO, WoW really is a pretty good game. You cannot really make a legendary story in an MMO b/c of no character development, but I found WoW to be fairly entertaining especially in the summers since I woke up 2-3 hours before my friends. I played it for probably 2 months, not straight through though. Where this game really shines is in the party-questing, grouping, raiding, and basically just playing with other people in a group.
Tehgiggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tehgiggles
Member since 2006 • 736 Posts

Noooooooo! Nerd!

Only joking, Ive never played the game so I cant exactly say 'it sucks'.

Avatar image for X360NowPS3Later
X360NowPS3Later

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 X360NowPS3Later
Member since 2006 • 340 Posts
It gets VERY, VERY repetetive after a while. I only played a Dwarf hunter until level 21, then got bored...a few weeks later decided to play a Tauren Shaman until level 26. But then I completely stopped after that.
tarq0823

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tarq0823
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts

WoW was my first MMORPG and I definately learned a few things about the genre in the 100+ hours I played the game. First, I don't recommend trying to keep up with real life friends who have different gaming habits than you. I had a few friends that would put in 30 or so hours a week, while i refused to commit that time. Fora while when i played, i just wanted to level as fast as possible to try to catch up, which was impossible anyways; finally taking a hiatus before coming backbecause it was no fun. Take your time, try out the battlegrounds, and find some online friends that you can bs and quest with. Basically you have to come to terms that there are going to be plenty of people that literally devote their lives to the game; they are gonna whoop on you; and they'll have better gear than you and will probably belittle you for any noobish comments you make. From what I understand, WoW offers the worst aspects of MMORPG gaming in that respect. Ifyou just take your time and find a good core group of people to work with, than it can be very enjoyable. Another tip is the blue bar. Whenever you dont' play, your experience bar turns blue proportionally to how long you didn't play, so if you only play when blue barred, you are maximizing your play time efficiency and ensuring you don't devote your life to the game. To be honest, the main reason I quit playing was because I realized that I was using all my gaming time for this one game, andI missed out on a lot of great and diverse games to concentrate on what is basically at least 50% mindless, repetetive grinding.

blackjack1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blackjack1425
Member since 2007 • 57 Posts

WoW is a great game and for the person saying it gets repetitive, your character was only lvl 26 lol you barely expirencied the game.

-shmelo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#7 -shmelo-
Member since 2006 • 931 Posts

WoW is a great game and for the person saying it gets repetitive, your character was only lvl 26 lol you barely expirencied the game.

blackjack1425

26, and barely experienced it? lol. I think what I'll do is pay for like 3 months or however long the pre-paid cards are, then take a break and when I want back I'll get another card for another while. Maybe take a week in between each card if I'm really addicted.

If I get B-Daymoney I might get the expansion, although I think I should take more time to get stuff done with the classic version before trying any of the new features.

ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts

Seriously, you'd be better off using that money to buy a dozen games from the $5 bin, there's a good chance that each one of ém is far more entertaining then WoW.

The only fun I ever had playing WoW was mainly due to the people I played it with, and the funny thing is, if you replace WoW with some beers and a good movie, you'll have a lot more fun for the duration of that movie then you'll have playing Wow.

That game is purely and solely meant to give you SOMETHING to do. It has nothing do to with fun whatsoever.
So go try some real games.

schubernator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 schubernator
Member since 2004 • 58 Posts
yea don't waste money on the expansion until you get to level 60. there's not enough content for low levels to even notice an not dissapointable difference.
gatorteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gatorteen
Member since 2005 • 2760 Posts
say good bye to your life
noirsake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 noirsake
Member since 2005 • 241 Posts
bye bye sex life hello WoW? not cool
Crush_Project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#12 Crush_Project
Member since 2005 • 606 Posts

honestly as a public service, unless you are a true noob, then dont play WOW. Its the most overhyped, under delivering, plain vanilla game i can think of. Dont get me wrong i played it for a real long time, but honestly ANY other mmo would be a better choice.

The game is nothing but acquiring gear. Once you get that gear what can you do with it? get more gear. Thats not even mentioning the straight terrible character choices you have available to you. Shotgun Bunny has got it right m8, WOW is not worth the $15 bucks a month much less the game costs.

lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 lokstah
Member since 2005 • 1213 Posts

I was mildly entertained by RuneScape for a while but the graphics finally made me sick to my stomach so I quit it easily. Then MapleStory took 3 months of my life (like a year ago) and easily quit that. Some kids at school and numerous other sources whom own WoW state that it cannot be quit easily and is indeed addicting, plus the monthly cost, its like Ciggarettes!

In my bored summer of depression, I just requested WoW for my B-Day... giving into the tempation.

-shmelo-

Can I have your other games?

Avatar image for bipedal_gorilla
bipedal_gorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bipedal_gorilla
Member since 2007 • 113 Posts
I recently quit WoW. I never raided, but PvP'd quite a bit in the old days and level a couple characters to 60 (one to 70). It can be a lot of fun sometimes, but others its just monotonous and boring. I quit not because I felt I was addicted and had to get away or suffer long term consequences, but simply because of lack of interest. The expansion sucked the fun parts out of the game and it is true, when you get to high levels the enjoyable part is much more the people you play with than the game itself, they make it fun.
BOOdist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BOOdist
Member since 2005 • 60 Posts
try a girlfriend. they are much more fun than WoW and don't charge a monthly fee
Syao4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Syao4
Member since 2005 • 523 Posts

If your computer isn't very strong,I suggest you'll ask for a high end computer or something close to it so you'll be able to play the games that's getting released later this year,like Crysis,UT3,CoD 4 or Gears of War..

WoW is a game that if you'll get addicted to it,you're probably gonna play it a year or more,it ruins your social life,so it's not recommended..

Erlkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Erlkoenig
Member since 2006 • 715 Posts

try a girlfriend. they [...] don't charge a monthly feeBOOdist

I wish that were true.

stif42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 stif42
Member since 2004 • 110 Posts

I was guild leader of a big guild... The only thing about WoW is that you spend a lot of time preparing raids, but when you beat a really strong boss you are so happy, so proud !!!

In fact If you got a lot of playtime, WoW is for you. If you are just a casual, it will be impossible for you to join big guilds and then to have some really good stuff.

BLaZe462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BLaZe462
Member since 2002 • 1432 Posts

Seriously, you'd be better off using that money to buy a dozen games from the $5 bin, there's a good chance that each one of ém is far more entertaining then WoW.

The only fun I ever had playing WoW was mainly due to the people I played it with, and the funny thing is, if you replace WoW with some beers and a good movie, you'll have a lot more fun for the duration of that movie then you'll have playing Wow.

That game is purely and solely meant to give you SOMETHING to do. It has nothing do to with fun whatsoever.

ShotGunBunny

very well said

edit: ironic that my gspot rank is a wow reference

Smithgdwg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Smithgdwg
Member since 2003 • 1886 Posts

try a girlfriend. they are much more fun than WoW and don't charge a monthly feeBOOdist

No, they charge an hourly fee...

SmallPower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SmallPower
Member since 2004 • 193 Posts

If you're bored and depressed, one of the worst decisions you could make would be to start playing World of Warcraft. Address your problems rather than compounding them with a game that causes a lot of people like that to become even more isolated and lonely, and ultimately leaves them, in "real life," withnomore than they started with to show for the hours and hours they sunk into it.

As far as "giving in to temptation," or WofWC being some sort of forbidden fruit, it's not like that. Drugs, crime, deviant sex -maybe. But this game? Yeah, give in to the temptation of sitting alone in front of your computer for hours and hours on end while your brain does the equivalent of staring at a blank wall.

theking52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 theking52
Member since 2004 • 2560 Posts

try a girlfriend. they are much more fun than WoW and don't charge a monthly feeBOOdist

LOL... I wish that was true. Would be SO much cheaper. Or atleast, you'd know how much you'd end up spending on a normal basis. Sometimes they just want to hang out with you and not spend anything. Other times, they'll want to go to the most expensive restaurant AND get the most expensive things from there.

If you've had a g/f you've been VERY lucky if they didn't "charge" you anything.

braceamnell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 braceamnell
Member since 2004 • 44 Posts

^ This guy's never had a girlfriend (WoW is much cheaper)

I'm still currently playing WoW. I and a group of my friends from work are all in a guild together. When we're not messing around at work, we're at the bar or doing something. WoW is for night time, and a day off during the week when everyone else is at work. Personally I agree that it's more a way to pass the time. There are different levels of play time you can consider to invest, but overall the "vanilla of an mmo" as someone referred to it as, is pretty rewarding in the long run. My guild runs the high level instances and clowns on eachother over Vent (VoIP service). It's much more a social experience than a gaming one at the high levels. Sure, there is some serious skill involved in telling 25 people in the same raid what to do, but for the first 6 months you play, you'll mostly be grinding out quests and collecting decent gear to take part in larger raids in "end game."

Consider the amount of time you want to invest in the game, and if your still living off birthday money to buy your games, expect mom and dad to hound you on those late nights when you should have been in bed 3 hours ago, but your wiping on the last boss of a raid you've been in since 7 o'clock.

If your still considering the game after you sift through this thread then good luck to ya.

PS.. If you want an easy play experience in the game: Pick a Hunter. They're ridiculously overpowered with crappy gear and can kill just about anything in battlegrouds without breaking a sweat. Plus they're one of the more fun classes in the game.

gozalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 gozalo
Member since 2003 • 1102 Posts

[QUOTE="BOOdist"]try a girlfriend. they [...] don't charge a monthly feeErlkoenig

I wish that were true.

LOL

lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lokstah
Member since 2005 • 1213 Posts

More like a weekly fee. :)

Master_Kev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Master_Kev
Member since 2007 • 370 Posts

Idiot down go into peer pressure... sooner or later your gonna start smoking chrysmethpotweedbaccococrackoherijuana. Just go pick up battlefield 2 or 2142 instead of a shiddy mmo.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
type /played and you will realize that you lost your soul back at level 10.
grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
good luck my friend may you realize its not worth it soon and get out.
ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts

WoW is the best MMO out there. Don't buy into the crap people are saying about it, like it takes your life and **** NOT TRUE, they probably haven't played the game and if they have they only got to lvl20 and got bored because they suck :P
There's no problem in quiting WoW either, I've put down 2500+ hours in WoW and didn't have any problem quiting, it's just like any other game but it stays fun for 100 times longer.

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

-shmelo-

I've played WoW for 3 years, but finally threw in the towel. Left a decent geared level 70 Druid on Alliance, two level 60's and a level 56 on the Horde. Advice...

My advice is, just have fun and don't get too tense about PvP (which was all I even played the game for). Get into a good guild, and try to find good community. I had terrible luck finding good community, but I'm glad I played the game because I met two of my best friends in there (which, they don't play now but we still keep in touch). Community will ultimately be your goal if you want to have as much fun as possible. Get involved, but don't get stressed with raiding.

It's all fun and games until end-game. Some people absolutely love end-game, but it's full of elitist 12-year olds now, mainly. If you have any questions you can private message me here...I'm active on these forums daily.

MegaWang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MegaWang
Member since 2006 • 287 Posts
Man I played BF2 for 150 hours in the less than a month I played it and got to Gunnery Sargeant with 48 kill streak, and thats a fast paced game. I can't imagine how much time you would have to invest into WoW to get anywhere, I wouldn't be able to do it.
Crystalmethod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Crystalmethod
Member since 2005 • 255 Posts
I really wouldn't get WoW if I were you; yes it's an amazing game, and getting to 70 is awesome and raiding. But you know, what sooner or later it'll snap on you how much time and effort you've wasted into mere "polygons" on the screen sitting in front of your computer. And yes, it does become addicting and it will affect your life if you do raiding like it did to me. And in the end, you might just quit it anyway like i did after so long. You could do something much more creative and safe yourself the money :)
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Guys, he played Runescape and Maplestory. Repetitivity and blandness of gameplay will be the least of his World of Warcraft worries.
Zarachas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Zarachas
Member since 2005 • 339 Posts

[QUOTE="BOOdist"]try a girlfriend. they [...] don't charge a monthly feeErlkoenig

I wish that were true.

Yeah lol they are much more expensive than wow unfortunately..... Wow is an oki game you'l have fun with it :)

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
noooooo, dont do it man. its not worth it! :P
death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#37 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts

I've been playing for over 2 years and over 1500 hours (which isn't that much if you think about it... 2 hours a day average :P), and I gotta say, in my opinion, everything up to the max level is just one big tutorial, and the REAL game begins at 70. Up until then you're doing quests and whatever to level up - but once you get to 70, you join a raiding guild, and that's where the game REALLY begins (IMO). Killing things while watching a number go up... meh, w/e, some people like it, but to me I spend most of my time at the max level because it seems like it's all about fun. :D

death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#38 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts

If you're bored and depressed, one of the worst decisions you could make would be to start playing World of Warcraft. Address your problems rather than compounding them with a game that causes a lot of people like that to become even more isolated and lonely, and ultimately leaves them, in "real life," withnomore than they started with to show for the hours and hours they sunk into it.

As far as "giving in to temptation," or WofWC being some sort of forbidden fruit, it's not like that. Drugs, crime, deviant sex -maybe. But this game? Yeah, give in to the temptation of sitting alone in front of your computer for hours and hours on end while your brain does the equivalent of staring at a blank wall.

SmallPower

Before I played WoW, the highest mark I'd gotten in school was a 90, which is pretty good but meh, mostly my averages in school were low to mid 80's. After I got WoW, my marks shot up, recently ending grade 12 with a 98.8% average, including 2 100's in Calculus and Geometry. Coincidence? Maybe. But I think WoW affects your brain much more than than staring at a blank wall. :P

And I hate how people talk about the game like: A) It's a drug, and B)Everyone who plays it plays for 10 hours a day. WoW has the largest casual fanbase of any MMORPG out there. And there's no "requirement" to play a large amount of hours. When someone says "I played 5 hours of WoW last night", I doubt they didn't have a blast. After all, why else would someone put so much time into a game if not for fun? The person playing for 5 hours a night isn't playing because his brain has become chemically dependant on the game - he's playing because the game is providing more fun than the other options available to him that night. In other words, the people who play it alot play it alot because of choice - because they enjoy the game. So saying things like "that game ruins peoples lives" is nonsense - if they get more fun from the game than watching TV, what right do people have to say thier life is ruined?Especially considering that they're probably having more fun than the average adult has.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

-shmelo-

No. Just play it to your hearts desire since you are on summer vacation. School starts soon enough and you will then be forced to pace yourself. WoW is a great game and I bet you will have loads of fun with it.

Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts
i never understood how its so addicting. I got into it for about a week or two and easily gave it up. Pretty crappy.
elmertheowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 elmertheowl
Member since 2005 • 62 Posts

First of all, you will have fun, and create some fond memories.

BUT

All the little things you used to have time for (cleaning up after yourself, playing other games, eating, sleeping) will be forgone for just a few more minutes of WOW. Unless you are flying from Orgimmar to Gadgetzan, then you've got 7 minutes to do any one of the aforementioned things. If you are good at moderation, go for it. If you go overboard with things and have little restraint, might as well check yourself into rehab for a few months. (Luckily I started during a month long college Christmas break where I wasn't working).

Lingxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lingxor
Member since 2006 • 204 Posts
Don't do it! http://www.gamespot.com/users/Lingxor/video_player?id=dic0xGbx5bkFuTXd
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#43 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

Don't do it!

Nah, just kidding, go find out what all the excitement is about. WoW stole about 7 months of my life but it was worth it, but I'm proud to say that today I'm WoW free.

elmejicano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 elmejicano
Member since 2004 • 26 Posts

Anyone saying stupidsh1t like no....They charge a weekly/hourly fee....You are whiped shut the hell up. Obviously youb1tches got no GAME HAHAHHA.

Aelreth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Aelreth
Member since 2007 • 47 Posts

I've sucessfully pulled myself away from wow 2 times in my life. It's hard, Just don't think your mage can make food for yourself in RL and you should be fine.

elmejicano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 elmejicano
Member since 2004 • 26 Posts
Ohh...Right right and uhhh I recommend you don't get WoW it's a waste of time....Even if you don't do anything else just don't play the game it's pointless in the end.
Aelreth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Aelreth
Member since 2007 • 47 Posts

I've sucessfully pulled myself away from wow 2 times in my life. It's hard, Just don't think your mage can make food for yourself in RL and you should be fine.

buttface1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 buttface1
Member since 2007 • 297 Posts

ShotGunBunny

Totally agree, WoW is just full of grind.

elvis12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 elvis12345
Member since 2006 • 175 Posts
Dont play WoW, i did and ive never wasted money so badly before or since.