This topic is locked from further discussion.

pilouuuu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 pilouuuu2004
Member since 2004 • 1075 Posts

ID has shown a demo of its new engine. What do you think about it?

In my opinion it looks like an enhanced ID Tech 4 (Doom 3) engine, which can show good outdoor environments and very good hi-res textures (although it isn't very noticeable in the video).

This isn't as special as one would expect from ID, especially after having seen the forthcoming Crysis, Alan Wake and Unreal Tournament 3, but at least it looks good, and hopefully they will add more features to it. I also hope that the games they make using ID Tech 5 (probably a new ip and not Doom 4) will be better than the demo shown and hopefully they spice up the gameplay too as that's for what ID was famous when they made Doom and what was somewhat lost after Doom 3.

Anyway I think we can still expect great stuff from ID Software

ibanezdropd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 ibanezdropd
Member since 2003 • 1844 Posts
i'm am jusy very glad that they are bring some games to the mac.  I've always had mac and windows computers but my most recent and powerful computer is a mac.. so i'd like some games for it.    itt sucks that parallels doesn't support directX.  i'm very confident in the power of the mac hardware and OS, but the love from the gaming companies just isn't there.
LouieV13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#3 LouieV13
Member since 2005 • 7604 Posts
If its for macs only they lost a fan I am not buying a mac just for one game thats freakin stupid.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

If its for macs only they lost a fan I am not buying a mac just for one game thats freakin stupid.LouieV13

Its for Mac, PC, 360, and PS3.

They did say that presentation wasnt actually the game, but something they cooked up in about 10 days. While the engine has probably been worked for months and maybe even over a year, getting that many art assets outs in 10 days to show a demo is fairly impressive.

It may be that ID isnt targetting the same exact market of Crysis/UT and instead focus more on tools development to make games out quicker (and consequently cheaper). I did remember him specifically being disappointed at the new consoles for not helping reduce game development costs.

Avatar image for BewilderedRonin
BewilderedRonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 BewilderedRonin
Member since 2006 • 456 Posts

I also hope that the games they make using ID Tech 5 (probably a new ip and not Doom 4)

pilouuuu2004

Take out the "probably", as iD has stated that their new game is based off of a new, original IP. I agree that the new engine seems a lot like the Doom3 engine, but there really isn't enough info about this new engine to say whether it's just a slightly improved Doom3 engine, or if it's something completely mind blowing. I will say that I liked the particle effects and the independent movement of the shocks on the buggys was cool. And, of course, megatexture is gonna be big stuff. Regarding Macs, Carmack has always been a fan of OpenGL.

Overall, I think it's way too soon to really pass any judgment on the new engine. Wait until there is a full press release, then we can begin the finger pointing and comparing.

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts

ID has shown a demo of its new engine. What do you think about it?

In my opinion it looks like an enhanced ID Tech 4 (Doom 3) engine, which can show good outdoor environments and very good hi-res textures (although it isn't very noticeable in the video).

pilouuuu2004

That's basically MegaTexture technology that you're describing there. It's being Used for Enemy Territories: Quake Wars.

The new engine is way more advace, particle effects looked way better, better lighting, better shadows, and humans look more human instead of plastic like the Doom 3 engine makes them look.

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts
i lost interest right at the time i figured out steve jobbs was in the same presentation and the whole thing was about reinvigorating mac gaming. screw that.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
I was not impressed with the new engine at all. It looked like the Doom 3 engine, with some basic enhancement. Especially compared against the crytek engine, I really don't think it looks even remotely next gen. Though if they can put out quality games with the engine, I still will play it.
BewilderedRonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BewilderedRonin

I was not impressed with the new engine at all. It looked like the Doom 3 engine, with some basic enhancement. Especially compared against the crytek engine, I really don't think it looks even remotely next gen. Though if they can put out quality games with the engine, I still will play it.dnuggs40

You should also take into account that 1) everything was running real time and 2) the graphic textures for the demo were made in 10 days.That's pretty impressive, IMO.

Overall, it seems to me that iD is trying to integrate their megatexture into a new engine that they can license. (if you go to iD's site you can see this: "id Tech 4 is our most-current licensed engine and thus id Tech 5 is not yet available for licensing. Depending on your production's start date, it may make sense to start discussing licensing this future tech now - but you should contact us to help make this determination." - http://www.idsoftware.com/business/idtech5/)

Also, people would do well to remember that there is a lot more to an engine than graphical capabilities. Saying that it looks like Doom3 doesn't mean anything, as the there is a lot going on "under the hood", so to speak. Saying that id Tech 5 is inferior based on graphics implemented in a demo is horrendously shortsighted. Especially if you condsider that, I'm sure, Crytek had more than 10 days to work on the graphics for their engine demo.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]I was not impressed with the new engine at all. It looked like the Doom 3 engine, with some basic enhancement. Especially compared against the crytek engine, I really don't think it looks even remotely next gen. Though if they can put out quality games with the engine, I still will play it.BewilderedRonin

You should also take into account that 1) everything was running real time and 2) the graphic textures for the demo were made in 10 days.That's pretty impressive, IMO.

Overall, it seems to me that iD is trying to integrate their megatexture into a new engine that they can license. (if you go to iD's site you can see this: "id Tech 4 is our most-current licensed engine and thus id Tech 5 is not yet available for licensing. Depending on your production's start date, it may make sense to start discussing licensing this future tech now - but you should contact us to help make this determination." - http://www.idsoftware.com/business/idtech5/)

Also, people would do well to remember that there is a lot more to an engine than graphical capabilities. Saying that it looks like Doom3 doesn't mean anything, as the there is a lot going on "under the hood", so to speak. Saying that id Tech 5 is inferior based on graphics implemented in a demo is horrendously shortsighted. Especially if you condsider that, I'm sure, Crytek had more than 10 days to work on the graphics for their engine demo.

Ok...I will take that into account. Let's wait a bit then and see what they really can do. I think you have admit though, what they *did* show us so far what not that impressive.

19chevelle72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 19chevelle72
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts
You can make pretty engines and graphics all day, but if you keep releasing turds for games (Doom3, Quake4) then who cares. Quake Wars looks promising though.
Harbadakus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Harbadakus
Member since 2005 • 5474 Posts
I've only seen a lowres bad quality vid of it. Are there any screens or direct feed videos?
LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts

You should also take into account that 1) everything was running real time and 2) the graphic textures for the demo were made in 10 days.That's pretty impressive, IMO. BewilderedRonin

The textures were not made in 10 days... All that was said was the demo was created in 10 days...
CryEngine2 is just as easy to use, probably easier, then ID Tech5.

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

Indeed. You can't make a demo like that from scratch in 10 days. They must have re-used textures and models already availabel beforehand.

I am not really impressed. Especially when I compare this to the original Doom 3 tech presentation (which was also done on a mac btw).

sabazios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 sabazios
Member since 2004 • 226 Posts

The most horrendous thing about this ill-advised demo is the characters - I mean, it's going to be 3 years since HL2 was released with its incredible facial expressions and great animation, and they show these ridiculous, almost non-textured figures that move with the grace and suppleness of limb of a broomstick.

Even for something put together in 10 days it looks poor - it means that at this time the engine is not advanced enough that they can show decent models. As for animation, I guess they didn't have time for mo-cap of course.

It's a weird move to show what they've shown: either it was way too early, and they shouldn't make a demonstration of how far their engine is from completion, or they were quite satisfied with the material, in which case we won't see many games coming out in the next 3 years using Tech 5... My guess is that it was just a very early build.

BewilderedRonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BewilderedRonin

You can make pretty engines and graphics all day, but if you keep releasing turds for games (Doom3, Quake4) then who cares. Quake Wars looks promising though.19chevelle72
iD did not make Quake 4, Raven did. iD is also not making Quake Wars, Splash Damage is.

Regardless of how any of us feel on id Tech's possible ease of use, or lack thereof, there is still not much known about this engine. Will it be killer? Can it compete against CryEngine2 or UE3? Who knows. I simply think that it is way too early to pass any real judgment on this engine. Personally, I feel that Megatexture technology will be a boon for many who want to develop games similar to Battlefield 2 and provides a lot of promise for more open enviroment games, ala GRAW.

Anywho, I am looking forward to seeing what iD can provide us. The Doom3 engine was/is impressive, even though people love to slam it due to their distaste of Doom3. The engine is not to blame for poor textures or overly "shiny" alpha maps, that is the texture artists.

kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kyrieee
Member since 2007 • 978 Posts
Learn to separate art assets and engine capabilities
DesRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 DesRed
Member since 2004 • 135 Posts
Not bad for 10 days, to be honest, but yeah, the character that was shown does look kind of ugly. What impresses me is the fact that the details are texture-based instead of shaders and HDR lighting, which almost every other game use these days.
kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kyrieee
Member since 2007 • 978 Posts
If you're not impressed by 20 gigs of textures, that's unique textures on every single surface of the map, then there's something wrong with you or you haven't done any level design. It may not be as immedideately striking as say parallax mapping, but that doesn't make it any worse.