i7 2600k, 8GB Ram, GTX580..... futureproof?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xRolandox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xRolandox
Member since 2006 • 62 Posts

I got a new rig this Christmas and I was wondering, how long do you think I've until I need to upgrade my computer again? :shock:

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
2015 if you don't mind medium/high settings... Definitely a good rig and won't go down without a fight for at least 3 years. It's hard to estimate it really depends on your definition of "need to upgrade", if you're happy on medium then likely 2018 if you won't accept anything less than Ultra then 2014 is an easy target.
CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

Its a nice rig,But with computers nothing is future proof,Wish it was! :)

Guovssohas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Guovssohas
Member since 2010 • 330 Posts
Pretty much what JohnF111 says, it will last for years if you don't care about running ultra. The 580 is a very strong card.
DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts
It depends what settings you want. I reckon you might want to think about upgrading around 2015/6. Thats only if your fine with playing on medium settings(towards the end of my time scale). I think 2018 is way too far ahead into the future to predict what the average computing power will go.
Gangsta8d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 Gangsta8d9
Member since 2003 • 50 Posts

Two words: Moore's Law. The processing power will double every year until 2020 possibly.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Grab a 2nd 580 in a year, and you are set till 2015.

xRolandox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xRolandox
Member since 2006 • 62 Posts

I'll definitely consider getting another GTX580 in the future for SLI.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I'll definitely consider getting another GTX580 in the future for SLI.

xRolandox

Yeah, that'll last you for such a long time.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

I got a new rig this Christmas and I was wondering, how long do you think I've until I need to upgrade my computer again? :shock:

xRolandox

Your machine can easily handle next-gen Wii U and next-gen Taito Type X3 level games.

Arcade Heroes posted Taito Type X3 specs:

System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 (3.1Ghz)
Chipset: Intel Q67 Express
Gfx: AMD Radeon HD 6770
RAM: 2GB DDR3
HDD: 160GB SATA 3.0 (2.5")
Sound: 7.1 HD Audio
PSU: 600W
OS: Windows Standard 7 Embedded 64bit / Windows XP Embedded SP3 32bit

Ports:

USB: 4 (2x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0)
Video: 2 (RGB, DVI)
LAN: 2 (10/100/1000Mbps)
Serial: 1

Size: W360mm x D315mm x H160mm

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Depends. What resolution do you play at and how much do you care about graphics? That's what really determines how long your rig will last. If you don't mind minimum settings and play at a low resolution (720p) then that rig will last you for a long time. On the other hand, if you need to have everything maxed out at 2560x1600 then already your rig wouldn't be enough in some games. Also keep in mind that it's not just about power; new technologies sometimes require new hardware. For example, a 4870x2 would have been awesome and you would have thought "oh man, this is going to last me years". But then DX11 hit and suddenly even though your 4870x2 was powerful it still couldn't max out any game with DX11 features. This is why people say that futureproofing is impossible. The best you can do is get a case and PSU that will last you through multiple builds, and maybe get a mobo with whatever latest slots and connections are available (right now that would be PCI-e 3.0, USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, and UEFI) in the event you need to upgrade something before the CPU/mobo.
jonathant5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jonathant5
Member since 2010 • 873 Posts
If I were you, I would personally go for a "mid-range" card like the new GTX560ti or the HD6950. Then in probably in 2 years when that card can no longer max games properly, I would simply purchase the mid range that is available at that time (so probably GTX760ti or whatever the name of the card will be in 2 years). But that rig should last you quite a while, its just i personally dont see the point of getting a $500+ card unless if you play at crazy high resolutions.
abbas4evr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 abbas4evr
Member since 2008 • 97 Posts
It is pretty future proof if you get another 580 (as suggested in so many posts above) and you can always make the changes if they occur,though this system can pretty much run games at high settings for a while(a long while),unless you are a FPS nazi or something :P,and want that,100 FPS tag to boast off around :P. Personally I support what jonathan5 said above,getting mid or the gpu which lower than the flagship ones,and change them once in a couple of years,its much more practical as the flagship models are overpriced for launch sale peaks,unless off course you've got too much money to spare :)
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

That will easily last until the next consoles are released, probably a while after.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ronvalencia

If I were you, I would personally go for a "mid-range" card like the new GTX560ti or the HD6950. Then in probably in 2 years when that card can no longer max games properly, I would simply purchase the mid range that is available at that time (so probably GTX760ti or whatever the name of the card will be in 2 years). But that rig should last you quite a while, its just i personally dont see the point of getting a $500+ card unless if you play at crazy high resolutions. jonathant5

After Taito Type X3's baseline Radeon HD 6770 GPU, the next GPU target is Geforce GTX 560 TI. Link

Taito Type X3's baseline Radeon HD 6770 GPU pretty much covers Wii U's rumoured Radeon HD R700 GPU.

Taito has contacts with game developers.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

After Taito Type X3's baseline Radeon HD 6770 GPU, the next GPU target is Geforce GTX 560 TI. Link

Taito Type X3's baseline Radeon HD 6770 GPU pretty much covers Wii U's rumoured Radeon HD R700 GPU.

ronvalencia

Could you tell me,what is Taito Type X3?

Sry if it's a stupid question,but haven't heard of it...

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

Rocker6

Could you tell me,what is Taito Type X3?

Sry if it's a stupid question,but haven't heard of it...

Taito Type X 3 is just recently announced "next gen" arcade gaming platform that replaces Taito Type X2. Taito Type X2 runs in parallel with the current Xbox 360/PS3 generation. For Taito's PC boxes, Taito offers business level support that targets paid service gaming for developers and arcade game operators. Taito usually specify a limited supported CPU/GPU combination i.e. they will not support endless CPU/GPU combination.

Normal PC OEMs doesn't target this market niche i.e. HP or Dell targets other business markets.

Taito Type X series is based on PC Intel/AMD/NVIDIA/MS tech and can be considered to be the spiritual successor to MS Xbox 1 hardward i.e. Intel didn't give up on gaming...

Taito Type X2 play games like Capcom's Super Street Fight IV with coin/paid service operation business rules. Technically, the PC already has console exclusive Japanese games. Piracy is just a big concern for these developers.

Some games on Taito Type X series

Let's see Windows 8's Xbox Live DRM fixes the situation...

Sega has thier own arcade gaming platform (i.e. Ring Edge series) and based on PC Intel/AMD/NVIDIA/MS tech.

It's LOL for the console owners when they claim the Wintel PC is not a gaming machine.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Ill give 3-4 years for the cpu and 2-3 years for the gpu. That is for medium/high settings with decent resolution but we dont know how fast technology will advance and how well the hardware will keep up. "Futureproof" in reality only means delaying an upgrade anyway.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Taito Type X 3 is just recently announced "next gen" arcade gaming platform that replaces Taito Type X2. Taito Type X2 runs in parallel with the current Xbox 360/PS3 generation. For Taito's PC boxes, Taito offers business level support that targets paid service gaming for developers and arcade game operators. Taito usually specify a limited supported CPU/GPU combination i.e. they will not support endless CPU/GPU combination.

Normal PC OEMs doesn't target this market niche i.e. HP or Dell targets other business markets.

Taito Type X series is based on PC Intel/AMD/NVIDIA/MS tech and can be considered to be the spiritual successor to MS Xbox 1 hardward i.e. Intel didn't give up on gaming...

Taito Type X2 play games like Capcom's Super Street Fight IV with coin/paid service operation business rules. Technically, the PC already has console exclusive Japanese games. Piracy is just a big concern for these developers.

Some games on Taito Type X series

Let's see Windows 8's Xbox Live DRM fixes the situation...

Sega has thier own arcade gaming platform (i.e. Ring Edge series) and based on PC Intel/AMD/NVIDIA/MS tech.

It's LOL for the console owners when they claim the Wintel PC is not a gaming machine.

ronvalencia

Intreresting,thanks for the info :)