I wonder why Valve isnt talking about HL3.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts

Well, everyone has been asking every single day for the sequel to HL2. But, instead of that theyve been working on newer games. (Portal 2, L4D, TF2 updates) Im not saying theyre bad, they are awesome. But i know that Valve has always been one to listen to the community. So im just asking, why absolutely no word about it? I have a theory though. Every fat joke at Gabe Newell pushes HL3 another year. So everyone, stop it! Ok...so that was a joke. But does anyone know why Valve hasnt given the smallest of hints or ideas...?

Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

Very good point.

However, from a business stand point they're better off getting some games into the market than working on one franchise. I think that they're working on it and keeping it to secret so it can be as polished as possible when they announce. Remember when the made Halflife 2? The original game leaked the almost destroyed it's hopes of release.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
[QUOTE="Drazule"]

Very good point.

However, from a business stand point they're better off getting some games into the market than working on one franchise. I think that they're working on it and keeping it to secret so it can be as polished as possible when they announce. Remember when the made Halflife 2? The original game leaked the almost destroyed it's hopes of release.

True, And with valve time, "Some time " might be YEARS away.....think before you make a fat joke at Gabe.
Avatar image for mrDeviousArrows
mrDeviousArrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrDeviousArrows
Member since 2010 • 46 Posts

didn't they keep hl2 a secret and only announce it a year before release? might just be more of the same. and there are those 3 surprise announcements Gabe promised in the next year.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
I suspect that they have already done quite a lot of work on it. Im guessing it will be either a 2011, or 2012 release.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

didn't they keep hl2 a secret and only announce it a year before release? might just be more of the same. and there are those 3 surprise announcements Gabe promised in the next year.

mrDeviousArrows

HL2 was announced over 3 years before it was released.

Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

If they're making a full blown Halflife 3 then they're probably working on a new enigine too.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Its been so long I believe they will announce it with a new version of the Source Engine. They are probably developing them side-by-side.

mrDeviousArrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrDeviousArrows

[QUOTE="mrDeviousArrows"]

bonafidetk

HL2 was announced over 3 years before it was released.

are you sure?

"Half-Life 2 Review
Posted by Björn Holine November 24, 2004
There was a feeling you used to have when you were a kid. A feeling of intense anticipation and excitement experienced the night before Christmas or your last day of school before summer vacation. For many people, the announcement of Half-Life 2 rekindled this rare feeling when it was first announced at the 2003 E3 conference."

i'm not saying it was absolutely, cos i wasn't a gamer when it came out.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Does this mean we're all just going to forget about Episode Three and assume their making a brand new engine?

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Does this mean we're all just going to forget about Episode Three and assume their making a brand new engine?

Phoenix534
We dont know if they are making an Episode 3 (this whole episodic thing has been an experiment) they originally said we would have a new half-life episode every year or so but that's obviously not happening is it.
ironman388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ironman388
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

Phoenix534

they will promote the new engine with hl3 or episode three. also i really can wait. its the last game in the best series of shooters ever, i would want it to be perfect which is what i think valve wants

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I predict new engine. It's long overdue. Portal 2 got a face-lift so I expect the same with the next Half Life game. Like the other poster said, Gabe promised announcements next year.
mrDeviousArrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrDeviousArrows

Phoenix534
Sure, any hl is better than none, but a 4 yr layover for 5hrs of gameplay would a big disappointment. unless it was the prelude to a forthcoming hl3.
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
I predict new engine. It's long overdue. Portal 2 got a face-lift so I expect the same with the next Half Life game. Like the other poster said, Gabe promised announcements next year. Elann2008
Actually it was over the next 12 months not next year, so it could be tomorrow or a year from now lol. Probably staggered though, maybe we'll hear something this year.
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
They never talk about anything.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

Phoenix534
Ive always suspected that the next HL game will be HL3 rather than Ep3. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were to announce it and a new engine by next year.
ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
Because there won't be a HL3. Hell, you'll get lucky if you ever get EP3 at all.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

Daytona_178

We dont know if they are making an Episode 3 (this whole episodic thing has been an experiment) they originally said we would have a new half-life episode every year or so but that's obviously not happening is it.

Valve has said more than once that episode 3 is still in the works, most recently earlier this year. I couldn't find the source if I tried by now, but I remember that I read it in an article on Rockpapershotgun.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]I predict new engine. It's long overdue. Portal 2 got a face-lift so I expect the same with the next Half Life game. Like the other poster said, Gabe promised announcements next year. Captain__Tripps
Actually it was over the next 12 months not next year, so it could be tomorrow or a year from now lol. Probably staggered though, maybe we'll hear something this year.

It would be a nice Christmas gift!
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

Its been so long I believe they will announce it with a new version of the Source Engine. They are probably developing them side-by-side.

Daytona_178
This sounds most plausible.